Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, while I've been looking through many of functions for others, because they would ask me at times "What does it mean man?" Well, here's the thing, in the middle of my research periods, I thought about my friend whom I'm certain uses Si more and is more on the Si-Ne axis in general. So a scenario found relative to this was when we would go to a place we've never been before. So I'm immediately enthralled by the sights, sounds, smells, and all of these external factors that make up this place. The vivid colors of it all, the arcades, the games, the food concession stand, the people, the music, the sound effects from the arcade, my head is turning everywhere to take in this information. I'm excited to try out all of these new things, but because it's a second function, it's guided by what I particularly feel or care about trying in particular. I'm not even focused on what my friend wants to try, I'm more interested in what I particularly want to do.. At first. They're a friend, so ofcourse I'll be nice and meet half-way with with them.

Keep in mind, my friend on the other hand would rather play something that reminds them of something they enjoyed before. "Oh man, it's just like this one other game that I played when I was younger." or "Oh wow, this reminds of the scene from that one movie." Constantly relating things back to a lot of what is recognizable. Si is the first person in the room I believe, to point out something that seems familiar if they've seen it before. Se on the other hand makes observations based on precise data.

I would constantly bother a Ne user I knew from our views on a blank piece of paper and even CornFlakes. They were enamored with the idea of enjoying a blank space because of the possibilities they could imagine, and because of what they could create, while I look at a blank piece of paper and I'm like.. "Yeah.. this is paper." If someone gave me a choice between a blank piece of paper and some design already drawn on the paper, I'm more likely to notice the design drawn paper first. Now, once I look at the paper, I become more focused upon what I'm going to o with the paper, I'm not really as excited about the various possibilities of what could be done with the paper.. I have one strong view of what I want to put on the paper. The paper is more or less important to me compared to what I can put on the paper. It's the artistic expression that is the most important to me, it makes me act hastily. I am quick to draw or interact with it, I want to do something with the paper. Se is a lot of things, beyond just the simplicity of senses, its an interest to do something with whatever is in front of you or in your environment.

At Mcdonalds, Se is ordering a burger or looking around the establishment. Observing the people, maybe talking with them, while waiting for their burger to arrive.It can also make you seem like a jerk at times when it comes to making memories. I often get people saying I can come off as being mean due to my lack of sentimentalism. I don't take pictures when I'm out with friends, because I'm not interested in looking back on my experiences, I'm concerned with living them. I was there, enjoying it the entire time. It's highly rare that you would see a picture of me while I'm out. We're out to "do a thing" from my perspective, the moment is lived, and then we move on to do the next thing. The conversation a Se user has is pretty enjoyable, but just realize the moment we walk away, that reality is now gone. It was another moment in a day that will soon be upstaged by the next previous moment.

Reactions: charlie.elliot

·
Registered
15 Posts
In short you do understand Se and Si from what you described, but given that I couldn't identify an exact question, I kind of let my Ne go overboard in determining a response, haha...

From my experience in trying to understand all of the different functions, and how they're used, it seems each personality can have a completely different experience of a cognitive function than another type would. Like, take your example of the blank piece of paper and Ne user; as an INTP I would be interested in pieces of paper that were filled in because there is information to be extracted from them, depending on where the information came from, and who they are in relation to my life. So, my Ne looks for correlations to things I already have stored in memory, that have been thoroughly explored by my Ti. I'm basically looking for an inconsistency in my own knowledge, therefor all of my other functions are serving my primary function.

For you as an ISFP, I would imagine that you search your environment for stimulus that is new, in almost any way, so that you can kind of feel out a new experience with your Ni which can help you experience a new response that you find valuable with your leading Fi function. It makes me wonder, when involved with someone romantically, do you enjoy them being loving in any particular way, or is there a specific sort of novelty about their actions that can really move you more than other ways? I ask, because my gal is an ENFJ, with both Ni and Se, like you, albeit in different positions. She looks for information with Ni, and has a very strong sense of it's value, whatever she perceives, and what she perceives affects her physically (Se), seemingly. All of that action I see is motivated by her Fe, which makes her want for people to all get along.

So, in relation to how you use your Se, I think that you look for experiences that are profound, and you see that almost any experience that stimulates your Se is worth considering, because Ni can be so dynamic and your perceptions can evolve over time, you might experience a stimulus differently, and feel something entirely new from your current experience, i.e. your Fi. All of this in turn must reinforce itself continually as both Fi and Ni are mostly value driven.

So, in regards to your interaction with your friend whom you believe to be on the Si-Ne axis, I would say that you are not far off. I would venture to guess that Si might be their dominant function, and they might even be a collector of sorts. I also wouldn't feel too bad about considering yourself first in social situations; the unfortunate thing about being an introvert is that we have TWO introverted processes in our first three functions; introverted functions are convergent, in that they're motivated to move internally, towards yourself.

So I guess in short, from my understanding, our primary function is the boss, it motivates and drives us, except it can take a back sit when we interact with the world, as our primary extroverted function will spend lots of time receiving information, communicating it to our tertiary function in some way. All of which results in some sort of response or action that already exists in our primary function, like a parent (dominant function) waiting on two children (Auxiliary and tertiary) to decide what's the deal with some object or experience. And that might just be for introverts, given that extroverts interact with the world with their primary process.

Hopefully this made sense :D

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, when I spoke of Ne, I was doing so, in correlation to how it differs from Se while it could also appear to be similar. To me, Ne appears to always be exploring new directions with various angles, and while Ti does this to an extent as well, Ti from my notice, always picks the logical consistency that makes the most sense to them, subjective bias afterall, but with Ne, they're able to understand different perspectives, but it doesn't necessarily mean they will accept them. Ne taken to it's exaggerated extreme, the Ne doms, could describe how Se works in a way. Ne is constantly coming up with ideas and exploring possibilities from conversations or whatever they're perceiving, but also constantly forgetting those new ideas and possibilities, the many manifestations of inferior Si. A Se-dom is constantly trying out new experiences, and noticing things around them currently, but never really focusing on strengthening one experience and taking it into the future or concerning itself with guessing games.

Also, the way you described how Se works with Ni is true, but it's also more than just that. I think to an extent you're explaining how a Se dom would do it as well. They'd look at the blank piece of and scan their environment, and find something. Then they'd immediately began to sketch out the object while making note of the details, and figure out the values, how to portray the way light illuminates it, and even the objects around it. I know for me, I could look at an item, than if it has meaning, than I take it into consideration, but I find my direction through interactivity. The moment I start, an idea will hit me and I'll know what direction to take it and what to do with it.

Shown here with music. I was messing around with it, until I listened to it, and got an idea of how to connect the random assortment of samples altogether: Xkun01

Do I enjoy them being loving in a particular way? Well, as long as I'm understood or if someone at least tries to see where I'm coming from, I'm pretty happy. I can be passive about a few issues, so I can overlook a lot about a person to some extent, as long as they don't really bring up anything I have a specific care or interest about in a negative light, but I'm not good with people who try to control me or attempt emotionally manipulate me or guilt trip me. It's an immediate red flag for me, and I like to have my freedom. I enjoy walking to places when I have a car. Te using friends would tell me.. "Why would you do that? You could get to where you're going much faster if you just used it and you could save more time." I'm not thinking about that, I enjoy the freedom of simply having the choice to do what I want and to enjoy the trip along the way. Being told.. "No, you can only do it like this." or "Hurry up and do that so we can immediately spend more time and engage in activity 1 before we can go to activity 2." I need some of my own individual time, if someone can accept me for myself, I'm glad. That is all I ask for besides not being an asshole to me.

Also an EnFJ girlfriend? That must be quite an interesting adventure for you, to see Fe at work before your very eyes. I like the functions of an ENFJ a lot, the stacking interests me more.

And yeah, I pretty much agree with that entire wording. That's basically my view of the way they work together.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh and I forgot to add, yes. My Si-Ne using friend is definitely an ISTJ. So yeah, Ne is indeed, beneath their Si usage.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This morning I was actually thinking that Ne and Se could appear superficially similar in seeking out new stimuli. But yeah, I agree that there is a definite difference between the two.

Regarding Se, I am always impressed by Se's ability to pick up on its environment, which is a skill that I seriously lack :p One Se-user I know (likely ESTP) is obsessed with the best and latest entertainment equipment to feed his home-theatre addiction. He obsesses over little momentary imperfections in the picture quality in the BluRay for Guardians of the Galaxy when we intuitives could neither see it nor care about it :p They are also better dancers, if they chose to learn it. My ISTP brother-in-law and I both like the same church denomination, but he has a very grounded reason for liking it and I have more abstract reasons for liking it. My INFJ is choosy about how he looks, the texture of his food, how his clothes feel, and his environment. He is also highly sensitive and I am not. An ENFJ I know is very similar to my INFJ.

Si does cause me to remember things important to me. I love taking pictures of others. I am loathe to toss old momentos. Things I like should stay the way I like them. I very quickly pick up on patterns that "overlap" with past experiences. When listening to music all the time I am picking up on aspects of one piece that remind me other pieces I've heard.

Regarding the paper analogy, I wouldn't necessarily think of all the things I could draw on it but maybe all of the deeper symbology that the paper could represent! A new beginning, a door, the colour contrast, a stage, you name it. A piece of paper is more than just a piece of paper to me. I love intruige and complexly-layered TV shows because my Ne runs wild with all of the possibilies that could happen and I fail to pick up on the little things in the scenes that could help me. As an intuitive just about everything (physical, not people) around me exists in an abstract sense first and its/their physical properties are second, if I notice them at all.

·
Registered
648 Posts
This morning I was actually thinking that Ne and Se could appear superficially similar in seeking out new stimuli. But yeah, I agree that there is a definite difference between the two.

Regarding Se, I am always impressed by Se's ability to pick up on its environment, which is a skill that I seriously lack :p One Se-user I know (likely ESTP) is obsessed with the best and latest entertainment equipment to feed his home-theatre addiction. He obsesses over little momentary imperfections in the picture quality in the BluRay for Guardians of the Galaxy when we intuitives could neither see it nor care about it :p They are also better dancers, if they chose to learn it. My ISTP brother-in-law and I both like the same church denomination, but he has a very grounded reason for liking it and I have more abstract reasons for liking it. My INFJ is choosy about how he looks, the texture of his food, how his clothes feel, and his environment. He is also highly sensitive and I am not. An ENFJ I know is very similar to my INFJ.

Si does cause me to remember things important to me. I love taking pictures of others. I am loathe to toss old momentos. Things I like should stay the way I like them. I very quickly pick up on patterns that "overlap" with past experiences. When listening to music all the time I am picking up on aspects of one piece that remind me other pieces I've heard.

Regarding the paper analogy, I wouldn't necessarily think of all the things I could draw on it but maybe all of the deeper symbology that the paper could represent! A new beginning, a door, the colour contrast, a stage, you name it. A piece of paper is more than just a piece of paper to me. I love intruige and complexly-layered TV shows because my Ne runs wild with all of the possibilies that could happen and I fail to pick up on the little things in the scenes that could help me. As an intuitive just about everything (physical, not people) around me exists in an abstract sense first and its/their physical properties are second, if I notice them at all.

isn't that features of Si?

Reactions: Xcopy

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ah, good point! IMO not really. I have an Si and I might be choosy from a personal meaning POV, but not choosy from a sensual point of view. Whether it is important to him personally is irrelavant. It is all how how things feel and taste. I am picky in how things represent me and beyond that their physical properties are not important. The external world has already been vetted by my Si. With him, his inferior Se conducts no vetting at all.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I am INFJ and I am very picky with how my clothes feel and look. If they don't feel right, it is like I can't concentrate as the bothersome sensation caused by the clothes will snap me back to the sensory world. If it doesn't look right, I will obsess over looking bad, ugly or funny and I want to say most people don't enjoy looking bad, regardless of type.

As for food, I don't eat a lot of different things, so when something tastes different, I will notice.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am always impressed by Se's ability to pick up on its environment, which is a skill that I seriously lack :p One Se-user I know (likely ESTP) is obsessed with the best and latest entertainment equipment to feed his home-theatre addiction. He obsesses over little momentary imperfections in the picture quality in the BluRay for Guardians of the Galaxy when we intuitives could neither see it nor care about it :p They are also better dancers, if they chose to learn it. My ISTP brother-in-law and I both like the same church denomination, but he has a very grounded reason for liking it and I have more abstract reasons for liking it.

Keep in mind, it's a terrible function in conversation. I'm constantly getting compared to a dog because the minute something else starts to move in the environment it immediately gets my attention more than the words of the other person. Happens a lot, when I'm in a discussion with someone and out of the corner of my eye, I immediately notice a bug crawling on the wall and then I immediately try to figure out what it will do next. Because of Se, I can be a good listener and super easily distracted by whatever new thing catches my eye. Yeah, Se-dom lavishness.. Being able to spend lots of money without really worrying about it or the fact that they could hold onto it for the future. I have that same issue, except I make my choices at places based on if I like them or not. I can drop something for years by just saying "I'm not going to do this anymore." I stopped eating at Mc Donald's many years ago, and gave up chips and soda for the most part. Haven't had either since 2014.

Yes, and when you look at my phrasing, it gives the idea that I believe it takes Ne-users longer to get started on certain tasks. I mean I do, because as a Se user, I need to interact with something before I can do it well or figure it out. So in conclusion, my intuitive function does not kick in until I interact with it. I do not visualize and then start, I start and then visualize a direction. I like watching complex shows as well, but the difference between me and you, is the fact, that I would find too many complex-layered shows to be random and messy. It only works to me, if they all share one common theme that ties them together, that gives the disorder some sort of direction it is building up to.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Ah, good point! IMO not really. I have an Si and I might be choosy from a personal meaning POV, but not choosy from a sensual point of view. Whether it is important to him personally is irrelavant. It is all how how things feel and taste. I am picky in how things represent me and beyond that their physical properties are not important. The external world has already been vetted by my Si. With him, his inferior Se conducts no vetting at all.
Very interesting. It’s the objective Sensing vs subjective Sensing. I see now. That confused me too because I thought I had Si because I’m picky as well about sensory objects but now I see that my kind of pickiness is objective. The objects have no personal meaning I just care if they look good etc

Thank you!

·
Registered
648 Posts

I am INFJ and I am very picky with how my clothes feel and look. If they don't feel right, it is like I can't concentrate as the bothersome sensation caused by the clothes will snap me back to the sensory world. If it doesn't look right, I will obsess over looking bad, ugly or funny and I want to say most people don't enjoy looking bad, regardless of type.

As for food, I don't eat a lot of different things, so when something tastes different, I will notice.
Interesting.. I’m similar. I don’t even like people buying me stuff because I’m so picky lol. Especially clothes. Even when I buy electronics. The first thing I look at is the aesthetics. If it doesn’t look good I refuse to buy it, regardless of how practical it might be. It has to look good lol. Guess that’s my inferior Se

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Interesting.. I’m similar. I don’t even like people buying me stuff because I’m so picky lol. Especially clothes. Even when I buy electronics. The first thing I look at is the aesthetics. If it doesn’t look good I refuse to buy it, regardless of how practical it might be. It has to look good lol. Guess that’s my inferior Se
My aunt have been giving me money for birthday for so long, because I would never like the clothes she bought or made for me. So she figured out giving me money to buy it myself would be for the better. The only person who has an uncanny ability to buy clothing I like is my mother. I don't know how she does that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts