Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty much every ISTP and especially ESTP personality scares the hell out of me, the ESFP's and ISFP's aren't as bad. The reason being is that many are so present oriented that they almost operate completely in the moment and often completely neglect the future. This is terrifying especially when it comes to crime and punishment. Just about every xSTP that I have ever known for instance has been prone to do stupid shit on the spurr of the moment with complete disregaurd for the consequences. For instance, many will often get in trouble for assault and sometimes even murder because they are so present oriented that they are completely caught in the moment. Hell for that matter, I'm willing to bet that there are more Se users in jail than any other type. This isn't all of them or even more for that matter. The main point of this message is that I have noticed that most Se users are more prone to doing stupid shit like criminal mischief for instance because of the Se function.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I wouldn't paint the stroke so broad. My ISFP is far more of risk taker then I am. I'm fairly calculating in what I do and why. Though I do believe people do need to take some risks in life, even if the consequences aren't that grand at first glance. Risks are a part of life, you never know unless you try and take some risks.

Am I adovcating for taking too many risks and not giving any thought ever? No, but sometimes you really just gotta do and take that chance. Life is a learning process, and some people need to learn by doing.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Pretty much every ISTP and especially ESTP personality scares the hell out of me, the ESFP's and ISFP's aren't as bad. The reason being is that many are so present oriented that they almost operate completely in the moment and often completely neglect the future. This is terrifying especially when it comes to crime and punishment. Just about every xSTP that I have ever known for instance has been prone to do stupid shit on the spurr of the moment with complete disregaurd for the consequences. For instance, many will often get in trouble for assault and sometimes even murder because they are so present oriented that they are completely caught in the moment. Hell for that matter, I'm willing to bet that there are more Se users in jail than any other type. This isn't all of them or even more for that matter. The main point of this message is that I have noticed that most Se users are more prone to doing stupid shit like criminal mischief for instance because of the Se function.

Reactions: pinkrasputin

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dominant Se users seem to be the worst at this. Oh and the ESTP's just don't give a shit, they'll do any old shit. This is why so many that I know are constantly in trouble. ESFP's are pretty bad about it to. This was a serious post, not an attempt at a troll.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I agree with you. My ESFP friend is a total dumbass about most things, and it doesn't occur to him that there might be consequences until he's punished, at which point he becomes angry and defensive. I just don't understand how he can do the stupid crap he does and actually think he can get away with it. :dry:

·
The Doer King
13,680 Posts
I am a Se user and I think a Sp. I have been arrested for assault :/
Well if you are primary or secondary Se then you have to be an SP. The op, I believe, is only talking about Primary or secondary users.

i think it is correct that many Se users get caught for mischief related crimes but I don't agree with the murder and assault part. I think any type can get overly emotional in the heat of the moment and react.

·
Registered
94 Posts
ive gotten in my fair share of trouble, mainly because i just do what i feel like at the moment and dont give a shit. i always act 1st and think later. and yeh sometimes the fact that there is a consequence doesnt really ever cross my mind. but ive never gotten in like serious trouble or have committed a crime or anything. but yeh ive done a lot of stupid shit but it sure does make for some awesome stories lol

·
Registered
640 Posts
I can understand both sides here. A life without risks would be mundane, but there is a balance to be achieved.

Upbringing and environmetal factors my also play a role, as well as maturity and life experience. Having a good role model probably helps improve judgement calls, thus reducing risky behavior.

My dad tests as ESTP, and I know he hung with a shady crowd for a while. It wasn't until he was arrested by accident that it scared him straight.

I can see how an unbalanced individual, with no family or friends outside of thier shady circle, and little to lose, may never have a wake-up call.

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
Your thoughts are a bit extreme. The ESTP's I know like to party, drink stupidly, ect: but they are never involved with any crimes. The INTP I know abuses the law more than anyone I know.

I'm not one for taking risks, but I am one for impluse, but I do think first before I do things (most of the time. ;) ) Aren't introverts more than likely to be involved in a crime, rather than an extrovert?

·
Registered
743 Posts
i think it is correct that many Se users get caught for mischief related crimes but I don't agree with the murder and assault part. I think any type can get overly emotional in the heat of the moment and react.
I agree with you here... as you typed, mischief. Mischief is a long way from the criminality xSTPs are being accused of here.

The reason I believe this is trolling is because:

Just about every xSTP that I have ever known for instance has been prone to do stupid shit on the spurr of the moment with complete disregaurd for the consequences. For instance, many will often get in trouble for assault and sometimes even murder because they are so present oriented that they are completely caught in the moment.
Which just sounds so stereotypical I'm suprised it was even posted. Many? What, over 50%?

From "My Personality":

Thinking people make decisions based on logic, so the Introverted thinking function allows a person to categorize and analyze data. It is the ability to identify inconsistencies, know how things work and problem-solve.

Just because the behaviour of an xSTP seems spontaneous doesn't mean it is spontaneous, and you may be suprised how much thought has gone into it.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
My personal experience is that we calculate the risks in beforehand - maybe just because of the knowledge that it won't be that easy on the spot. One (and only one for that matter) ESTP I know does very complicated risk management calculations about pretty much everything possible to prevent the negative stuff from happening (ever again). Maybe there has to be an experience first, but still.

I am ISTP and I like to plan things. I have all the time at least five plans about any given issue. If a situation catches me unexpectedly, I'll panic. Then I might agree to do stupid stuff, but in that case I'll just change my mind about it after some considaration, maybe five minutes later. What looks like spontaneous behavior is either something I already have thougth through beforehand or very fast thinking.

There are different reasons behind criminal actions. There are the "Ooh shiny" -kind, "I don't give a fuck about you, give me that" -kind , "I'm so much clevererer than anyone and I can do this without anyone finding out" - kind, "Don't you dare to mess with me"-kind etc. There are alcohol, drugs, addictions, peer pressure and whatnot else. Anyone bunching 1/4 of population and 100% of crimes in same theory needs to do some serious thinking, of course preferably after some serious reading.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well if you are primary or secondary Se then you have to be an SP. The op, I believe, is only talking about Primary or secondary users.

Yeah, maybe I went a little too far with that. All I was saying is that many Se users constantly get in trouble for disregaurding the consequences of their actions and being too present-oriented.

Reactions: TreeBob

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Well, I didn't know what MBTI type the bastard was who committed a crime against me just a few weeks ago, but I am an ISTP and I did my best (I prevailed) to make sure he didn't get away with it!

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I didn't know what MBTI type the bastard was who committed a crime against me just a few weeks ago, but I am an ISTP and I did my best (I prevailed) to make sure he didn't get away with it!
Well ummm.....That's good.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Didn't know?

Should have asked him to take the test. :3

Reactions: Neon Knight

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Didn't know?

Should have asked him to take the test. :3
lol, I can just see it now......

"Wait, before you rob me, please answer these questions....

Are you more introverted and keep to yourself or outgoing and extraverted?

Are you more practical and down to earth or are you imaginative and have your head up in the clouds?

Are you more sensitive to others feelings or think more with logic?

Are you more planned or spontaneous?"

Okay cool, your an ISTP, not an ESTP like I originally thought. Okay here you go here is all of my money, jewelry, and possessions.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Yeah, maybe I went a little too far with that. All I was saying is that many Se users constantly get in trouble for disregaurding the consequences of their actions and being too present-oriented.
From personal experience, I'd say this statement is true. I often understand the consequences of my actions, but I don't care as much about the long term consequences because they won't affect me until later on down the road. Having said that, the sooner the consequence will take affect, the less likely I'll do whatever it is I'm doing, depending on what the consequence is.

Example-Jumping off a 3 story buildings' roof, into a pool that is 10 feet out, after swimming around for awhile. Since I've been swimming, my feet are wet increasing my chances of slipping when I jump. The pool is 10 feet out, meaning I'll need a fair amount of traction and speed to successfully make the jump. Surrounding the pool is pavement, meaning potentially severe injury, significant at least if I miss. In this situation, seeing the consequences will immediately affect me, I'd decide it wouldn't be a good idea.

Now on the other hand, not that I do, but say I'm purchasing lotto tickets every week. (I honestly don't even know how often the lotto is drawn, but however frequently it is) I'd be more likely to look at it and think, "Eh, it's only $X from this month's pay check. No biggie." Not thinking about how that could affect me long term.

What the consequence is and how likely it is I'll suffer the consequences are important questions too. I like to weigh these kind of things. What am I doing? What will happen if I do this? What are the consequences? How likely will it be that I suffer the consequences? Is it worth it? Worst case scenario, it wasn't worth it and I learn a lesson.

I hope this sheds some light on the issue at hand. I can't speak for anyone else, but this is based on my own experience. In a nutshell, consequences are considered, but if, when and how they'll affect me determine whether or not I'll continue on. The lesser the consequence, the more likely I'll take the risk. The further the consequence is down the road, the less I'll be concerned about it.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I used to have the motto "i want to do something and i want to do it NOW!" and I made some obviously dumb small mistakes that lead to bigger consequences. But once I got my priorities straight, I realized every action I take requires stepping back for a moment and see the big picture of the situation, find out if I got manipulated by the impulses of the moment. Then I proceed with the correct course of action. There's no complete swap from "shoot first, ask questions later" to "ask questions first, shoot later" for me. At the bottom of my heart, I am still a child of risks and impulses...just that I'm better coordinated than I used to be. I was very reckless back then.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Eh..yes. Except I'm not a murderer. lol

I suppose it explains my love of extreme sports, stunts and traveling alone to 3rd world countries. But at the same time, I take precautions. I'm not stupid.

Money management is a different story... I know what I SHOULD do with the money, I'm great at making plans for the money, and I'm awesome at making it :)cool:), but you wouldn't know with my overdraft fees....

:x

(yes, I really really DID need a new gun board, even though I forgot to check my balance...shit.)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts