Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just wondering about whether or not, that those now with Se as their dominant or auxiliary have found it hard to find their type. I know it has taken me some time.

EDIT: Title typo. :(

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
I have also noticed there is a pattern with Se users taking a long time to settle on their type. Perhaps there is a glich in the system?

I am very interested in hearing what makes it finally "click" for you and you settle on your type?

Reactions: firedell

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I honestly still don't know, why my type makes sense for me. I guess it is hard for myself to explain. I can see why Se is difficult to see within yourself. Seeing as Se is an external function, you are so involved with what is around you that is hard for you to think internally.

I can sponge off peoples personality's as well, and copy their mannerisims quickly. I sometimes think that I must be a bunch of people I have met, and I have taken what I want from that person. Which would be strange, if it was true. Whomever I am with for a good amount of time can, somehow effect my function scores.

I relate to this, so I type myself high Se, and i'm Fi and not Ti. :confused:

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm am 75% sure I'm an auxiliary Se user, so yea.
I think for me, it's because I'm constantly taking in information about type, and if I find one that is contradicting, I automatically question if I'm really the type I think I am.
I have trouble seeing the big picture, and focus on details.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Se feels and does, it's a function of action, not of thought. It's very simple.
Well, yes, it is that, but I think it's also how you perceive information so it does involve thought.

While the contradiction thing I mentioned might be a different function, the fact that I'm always looking for more data is Se.

"Extraverted Sensing occurs when we become aware of what is in the physical world in rich detail. We may be drawn to act on what we experience to get an immediate result. We notice relevant facts and occurrences in a sea of data and experiences, learning all the facts we can about the immediate context or area of focus and what goes on in that context. An active seeking of more and more input to get the whole picture may occur until all sources of input have been exhausted or something else captures our attention. Extraverted Sensing is operating when we freely follow exciting physical impulses or instincts as they come up and enjoy the thrill of action in the present moment. A oneness with the physical world and a total absorption may exist as we move, touch, and sense what is around us. The process involves instantly reading cues to see how far we can go in a situation and still get the impact we want or respond to the situation with presence."

Cognitive Processes

·
Banned
405 Posts
Maybe Se detracts from the intuition needed to type yourself quickly and accurately. Ne and Ni users could find that easier... just a thought. Se is concerned with now and doesn't really care much for theories and typing from my understanding. If they can hear it, see it, smell it, taste it, or feel it then it must be real. If they have to think about it too much, then it must not be worth it. :laughing:

It's not that Se users aren't as intelligent but i guess they focus their mental energies on immediate stimuli which in turn takes them a little longer to theorize and hence categorize themselves according to a theory which is the MBTI. The main thing is you realized you are an Se user and I realized I want to develop Se. Any tips?? lol

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Well, yes, it is that, but I think it's also how you perceive information so it does involve thought.

While the contradiction thing I mentioned might be a different function, the fact that I'm always looking for more data is Se.

"Extraverted Sensing occurs when we become aware of what is in the physical world in rich detail. We may be drawn to act on what we experience to get an immediate result. We notice relevant facts and occurrences in a sea of data and experiences, learning all the facts we can about the immediate context or area of focus and what goes on in that context. An active seeking of more and more input to get the whole picture may occur until all sources of input have been exhausted or something else captures our attention. Extraverted Sensing is operating when we freely follow exciting physical impulses or instincts as they come up and enjoy the thrill of action in the present moment. A oneness with the physical world and a total absorption may exist as we move, touch, and sense what is around us. The process involves instantly reading cues to see how far we can go in a situation and still get the impact we want or respond to the situation with presence."

Cognitive Processes
If it is thought, it is done very quickly.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Well that's why I think the tests and descriptions are not at all geared to help type Se. There needs to be some sort of "hands on" "doing" type of test. Se users have amazing problem solving skills. They could find their type very quickly if the tests were geared towards putting them in the context in which they use their problem solving skills.

But as they are reading about abstract theories, that is not their preferred way of receiving information. It's like cutting me off from my Ne and asking me to solve a problem. :confused:

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
I am just wondering about whether or not, that those now with Se as their dominant or auxiliary have found it hard to find their type. I know it has taken me some time.

EDIT: Title typo. :(
Surprisingly you’re the first ESP that I heard claim they struggled to know their type. Generally their sense of realism allows them to read test questions literally. However there are reasons that Se users mistaken themselves initially as intuiting types per this article. More surprisingly I don’t think I have actually met an ESFP on this forum. I am curious why you believe you’re that type?
Se feels and does, it's a function of action, not of thought. It's very simple.
Uh.... cognitive functions (emphasis on cognitive)? All functions are of thought even feeling functions.
I have also noticed there is a pattern with Se users taking a long time to settle on their type. Perhaps there is a glich in the system?

I am very interested in hearing what makes it finally "click" for you and you settle on your type?
Not sure what you mean by that Pink. I think even per capita, you will find more intuiting types flip flopping their types and remain unsettled. All you have to do is review the "What's My Type" sub forum.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Uh.... cognitive functions (emphasis on cognitive)? All functions are of thought even feeling functions.Not sure what you mean by that Pink. I think even per capita, you will find more intuiting types flip flopping their types and remain unsettled. All you have to do is review the "What's My Type" sub forum.
Well I wasn't basing it the trend I saw on the "What's My Type" forum. I was basing it on my personal experiences with other Se users finalizing their type. It makes me curious because I've never really been undecided about my type.

That's why I think there is something lacking in descriptions and tests.

Is there a reason why you quoted me in particular?

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
Well I wasn't basing it the trend I saw on the "What's My Type" forum. I was basing it on my personal experiences with other Se users finalizing their type. It makes me curious because I've never really been undecided about my type.

That's why I think there is something lacking in descriptions and tests.

Is there a reason why you quoted me in particular?
No just curious as to why you thought Se users took longer periods to settle on their type. It seemed to infer that intuiting types may settle quicker. Based on some information, all types using extraverted perceiving will take a longer time to settle because we're open to new information and will keep our options open before settling on a particular type, whereas those using extraverted judging functions will make a decision and stay with it, in lieu of information that should be considered.

·
Registered
751 Posts
When I first joined, I didn't know anything about functions and kind of struggled a lot with whether I'm an ISFP or INFP. As I learned about functions, however, it became evident to me that I don't have much use of Ne, so therefore INFP is basically out of the question.

Se was much more relatable to me, but I'm pretty sure I don't lead with it. So I'm pretty secure with my type now, but I do sometimes have doubts because I don't have a lot of the Se dominant traits like being super coordinated or good with retracing my steps or finding my way and that kind of stuff.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
No just curious as to why you thought Se users took longer periods to settle on their type. It seemed to infer that intuiting types may settle quicker. Based on some information, all types using extraverted perceiving will take a longer time to settle because we're open to new information and will keep our options open before settling on a particular type, whereas those using extraverted judging functions will make a decision and stay with it, in lieu of information that should be considered.
I wonder if it's also based on age? And rightfully so. I may not have tested as a full ENFP when I was in my teens going through my emo phase. I was older when I typed myself and almost in my coffin so there wasn't as much developing left. :tongue:

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Not understanding cognitive functions led me to believe I was an ESTJ for a while. It wasn't until I understood the difference between Se and Si that I felt pretty sure I was mistyped.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
In what ways do Se users have amazing problem solving skills??
Wow. That is truly a loaded question. It's way too vast to list them all. My dad is an ESTP and that's all he does is solve problems. My experience with other Se users is that they were incredible problem solvers. They blow me away, honestly.

Here is just a few examples:
Fixing computer problems.
Implementing a plan to start and maintain my business.
Resolving customer conflict issues.
life issues
life crisis issues
car issues
insurance issues
scheduling conflicts issues
time management issues
Almost any freaking issue

There is always a plan and a solution. And the ones I know are extremely humble about their ability. They act like it's normal. They treat it like they just blew a bubble or something.

List goes on and on. When I'm overwhelmed, I tend to become a dear stuck in the headlights. Holy crap, their ability to come up with a solution has helped me many times. And usually their solutions are not temporary band aids either. They fix the momentary issue in a way that takes care of future conflicts as well.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts