Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there greatly inspired problem solvers, psychoanalysts and internet personalities! I have no idea what I'm talking about in this question so take what I am asking as you see fit, whether that be a pinch of salt or a bag of sugar. Of course, you may show my post and I the door if this is the wrong forum. But know before I say anything else, that I have never taken any drugs in my life - except chocolate, caffeine drinks, motion sickness tables and the one time a Neurofen tablet exploded in my mouth (felt like my tongue had been cut out!)

Four months ago I sat in the middle of a field eating lunch during the summer when I noticed something strange. I started seeing patterns in the grass when it swayed in the wind, it was really freaky if not outright trippy. I've been observing this phenomenon since then and I've only observed it in grass, not ever in anything else.

Whenever I sit or stand up and look down at a patch of grass it occurs. As soon as I stare at a patch (or verge) of grass for a second or two my vision (and mind) phase out a little at will, with very little effort. It sort of zones out a bit, not so different from when my mind goes into intuitive thought mode (can't describe the workings of that part I'm afraid.) When it does occur, I see the whole patch of grass as one whole and my mind doesn't focus on any of it. Thats when it happens. The wind blows the grass and it doesn't look like grass at all, all I see is a strange sort of abstract pattern or design which sweeps over it instead. I call it a digital pattern or data stream because it was the first thought that came to mind.

It's probably better to describe when you compare analog signals to digital signals. How the grass sways normally would be like an analog signal of many different frequencies or wavelength, but how I see it in this circumstance is more like digital, which I mean by the signal block is either 0 or 1, either off or on. Most of the grass verge or area is 'off' but when the wind blows the grass, the grass it blows turns "on" before turning off again after the wind blows it. I don't notice the grass that isn't moving, but I notice all the ones which are being blown, and they appear as some very crazy images. This occurs every time I try it, with the exception of during the night, when I can't see the grass.

This was the best explanation I could give. What do you guys think? Am I going crazy? Is it just N or Ne causing mischief? Or is it my brains way of telling me to just pick up a handful of it and smoke it? What would you guys suspect?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Think of it as a great gift. I don't really get the digital vs. analog part. To me all patterns found in clouds, etc. are analog in structure. The ability to see abstract designs in general is an indication of imagination.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Well, as a psych grad I usually think pathology first--psychotic thinking to be exact--but others are correct that the other side of the coin is "creativity." If your mental health is otherwise okay, then I would think of it as a "gift" as another poster noted, a sign of a beautifully imaginative brain.

Reactions: Ectoplasm

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so you're overly sensitive to the patterns outside of yourself huh
... you've got an interesting life ahead of you :p
Thanks, though my Ne wonders what form of interesting you're referring to :) I think I overrate it a little, most of the time I have no idea whats going on around me anyway. It doesn't occur with fast moving objects e.g cars and doesn't occur when I'm moving. As for mental health, my family has a history of a slight touch of mental instability - not of the broken home, schizophrenic or psychotic variety but of depressions and nervous breakdowns. My grandmother has been in a mental institute a few times over the years but our family's issues have only caused them to be at most dangers to themselves and not others. As for me, I've always been random and a bit different, but I've never confused my inner world with the outer one, I know whats real or whats not. I know the difference between my imagination and the real world as well, my only issue is idealised interpretations of events and reality (but that comes with my type.) I can function completely fine in everyday life, my only mental issues are generally existential crises, neurotic perfectionism and fatalist, depressive thoughts (occasionally suicidal) when the other two boil over.

It seems I've gone off on a tangent here, hope that helped.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I am -always- noticing patterns like that. With the movement of grass, based on which direction the breeze was coming from (what angle the bent/curled tips make to the thicker "trunk" of the blade and to the other blades' tips and trunks), the rain, how people walk and synchronize the movement of their feet with their arms. Even when I'm listening to music I think of these vivid, colorful patterns that visually represent the nuances of the music. Very complex patterns with underlying "carriers", dividers, sounds that seem to make the pattern weaken to a thread and spiral off. It's hard to explain, but it naturally pieces together in my mind in a way that I think makes sense.

I sure as hell hope this doesn't mean I'm schizo. I'm completely conscious when this happens. lol

Well, as a psych grad I usually think pathology first--psychotic thinking to be exact.
Even better. :frustrating:

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
I am -always- noticing patterns like that. With the movement of grass, based on which direction the breeze was coming from (what angle the bent/curled tips make to the thicker "trunk" of the blade and to the other blades' tips and trunks), the rain, how people walk and synchronize the movement of their feet with their arms. Even when I'm listening to music I think of these vivid, colorful patterns that visually represent the nuances of the music. Very complex patterns with underlying "carriers", dividers, sounds that seem to make the pattern weaken to a thread and spiral off. It's hard to explain, but it naturally pieces together in my mind in a way that I think makes sense.

I sure as hell hope this doesn't mean I'm schizo. I'm completely conscious when this happens. lol

Even better. :frustrating:

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to worry anybody unnecessarily but was simply pointing out that based on my training that is the kind of thing that comes to MY mind when I hear about this sort of thing. Schizophrenia is a complex disease as are other psychotic illnesses, not solely based on seeing some patterns here and there.

In fact, seeing subtle patterns is a sign of high intelligence. When I see psychotic patients, I deal with people who see patterns where none exist. Or that such patterns COULD exist but the possibility is extremely low. For instance, the idea that aliens are controlling our thoughts. Yes, it is possible but how likely is it? Their beliefs are very rigid and not receptive to other kinds of evidence, logic, and contradictory information. They may conduct their whole life based on this one belief. It's not clear why that happens but it's either in data gathering stage or analysis in their brain where they make these erroneous attributions.

The therapist in the room is also looking for patterns, in patient's body language, behavior, thoughts, etc. The difference would be that he is willing to consider alternative hypotheses, different evidence, probabilities, etc. He also uses scientific instruments (tests, questionnaires) in gathering the data from the patient. Another thing: He does not stick to his belief as rigidly as the patient, saying things like "perhaps", "based on this", "given his behavior"....

Now you may be wondering what kind of evidence do we need to form a truthful belief. Or how do we really know that aliens are not controlling our thoughts. Or does belief in God/soul/spirit is also considered psychotic. Or how do we know for sure that this version of reality is the real one. Or would the physicists who believe in a universe made of multiple dimensions be considered psychotic. Or is the subjective reality as valid as the objective one? And why not?

What does this all mean? It means that reality and truth are somewhat fuzzy concepts and we do not know anything for sure. So hallucination, delusion, psychosis, creativity, and all those sorts of concepts are quite interesting, so philosophical speculation and scientific research continues.

Sorry for the long post but I want to add a small part of an article published in 2009 in the prestigious "Nature Reviews Neuroscience," which the readers may find helpful:

"Another large set of people claim that they can communicate with dead people. These sorts of beliefs (which seem to many to be as bizarre as positive symptoms) are strikingly different from schizophrenia in at least two respects. First, they do not seem to cause the same distress; rather, they perhaps even provide a source of pleasure or pride. Second, they may promote rather than prevent social behaviour, as they are accepted by a sizeable minority of people who provide each other with support. This latter distinction may be an important one: ultimately, the suffering caused by positive symptoms in patients with schizophrenia
may manifest in, and arise from, social difficulties. Social conflict and isolation may be important factors that maintain delusions and modify their expression. What distinguishes a clinical case of experiencing positive symptoms from a non-clinical case may be the symptoms’ severity, their emotional connotations and the extent to which the environment can support and sustain the individual."

Reactions: dagnytaggart

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to worry anybody unnecessarily but was simply pointing out that based on my training that is the kind of thing that comes to MY mind when I hear about this sort of thing. Schizophrenia is a complex disease as are other psychotic illnesses, not solely based on seeing some patterns here and there.

In fact, seeing subtle patterns is a sign of high intelligence. When I see psychotic patients, I deal with people who see patterns where none exist. Or that such patterns COULD exist but the possibility is extremely low. For instance, the idea that aliens are controlling our thoughts. Yes, it is possible but how likely is it? Their beliefs are very rigid and not receptive to other kinds of evidence, logic, and contradictory information. They may conduct their whole life based on this one belief. It's not clear why that happens but it's either in data gathering stage or analysis in their brain where they make these erroneous attributions.

The therapist in the room is also looking for patterns, in patient's body language, behavior, thoughts, etc. The difference would be that he is willing to consider alternative hypotheses, different evidence, probabilities, etc. He also uses scientific instruments (tests, questionnaires) in gathering the data from the patient. Another thing: He does not stick to his belief as rigidly as the patient, saying things like "perhaps", "based on this", "given his behavior"....

Now you may be wondering what kind of evidence do we need to form a truthful belief. Or how do we really know that aliens are not controlling our thoughts. Or does belief in God/soul/spirit is also considered psychotic. Or how do we know for sure that this version of reality is the real one. Or would the physicists who believe in a universe made of multiple dimensions be considered psychotic. Or is the subjective reality as valid as the objective one? And why not?

What does this all mean? It means that reality and truth are somewhat fuzzy concepts and we do not know anything for sure. So hallucination, delusion, psychosis, creativity, and all those sorts of concepts are quite interesting, so philosophical speculation and scientific research continues.

Sorry for the long post but I want to add a small part of an article published in 2009 in the prestigious "Nature Reviews Neuroscience," which the readers may find helpful:

"Another large set of people claim that they can communicate with dead people. These sorts of beliefs (which seem to many to be as bizarre as positive symptoms) are strikingly different from schizophrenia in at least two respects. First, they do not seem to cause the same distress; rather, they perhaps even provide a source of pleasure or pride. Second, they may promote rather than prevent social behaviour, as they are accepted by a sizeable minority of people who provide each other with support. This latter distinction may be an important one: ultimately, the suffering caused by positive symptoms in patients with schizophrenia
may manifest in, and arise from, social difficulties. Social conflict and isolation may be important factors that maintain delusions and modify their expression. What distinguishes a clinical case of experiencing positive symptoms from a non-clinical case may be the symptoms’ severity, their emotional connotations and the extent to which the environment can support and sustain the individual."
Yeah. I see/hear/taste patterns that can be described and observed by others, once I've made them aware of it. I don't believe in anything that can't be proven or STRONGLY supported by the earthly 5 senses. Of course this isn't to say that aliens or God definitely don't exist, but I can't commit to a (dis)belief until I've got solid evidence.

Oh, also I get along just fine in day-to-day life. I have a job, a business, school, friends, etc.

Anyway, thanks for that explanation. You've put my mind at ease. It's just that I've always wondered why it was only ME who seemed to notice patterns, subtleties and microscopic but powerful snowball cause-and-effects in the environment (kind of like the butterfly's fluttering setting off a hurricane, but on a more day-to-day scale). Another thing I'll do is mentally invert, rotate objects and environments, it's just bizarre and it gets annoying. If I'm not working or socializing (if I'm alone), my mind will NOT shut up (and clearly, my typing follows suit :wink:).

But then, the OP has this same quirk, so perhaps it's normal after all.

I just wish I could think about celebrities and shoe shopping like normal people. But the ironic thing is that this tendency of mine gave me the ability to actually write a book instructing lonely/socially awkward people to ACT like normal people. :crazy:

EDIT: Sorry Ecto, I didn't mean to hijack the thread! :tongue:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
EDIT: Sorry Ecto, I didn't mean to hijack the thread! :tongue:
No need to apologise to me, I like letting threads become their own. Plus its kind of a relief when another person experiences the same condition. Plus your God after all, that seems to carry an aura of entitlement with it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
My Best guess would be that naturally occurring endogenous N-dimethyltryptamine active in your cerebrospinal fluid was bathing your brain and affecting your serotonin receptor sites. This natural chemical was flowing across your blood brain barrier via active transport in a similar way to how glucose does and influenced the creation of your perceptions and experiences. Normally this chemical would be broken down by monoamine oxidases and neutralized but in your case this was prevented most likely due to adrenal activity or stress.........

But then again 4 out of 3 ENTP's don't understand how fractions work so what do we know.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Just say no. :tongue:

That's an incredibly interesting mental ability you have; I'm curious if it translates into skillful problem-solving and easy learning?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Just say no. :tongue:

That's an incredibly interesting mental ability you have; I'm curious if it translates into skillful problem-solving and easy learning?
In my case, I don't think my problem solving is skillful, maybe a bit cunning. Usually I evade answering a problem head on (your question is an exception) and try and wait for a moment where the problem changes so it is more simplified (or where there is a 'weakness' in the complexity) and easier to deal with. My brain sees the complexity and appreciates it yet tries to simplify all the points (this also occurs with multiple perspectives.) In the end, the solutions it creates aim to resolve the entirety of the complex issue rather than leave parts of it unresolved. I'm doubting my type but if I am N then out of the box isn't out of the box for me. As I've never really had to explain my way of problem solving before I couldn't say whether its skillful or true to my supposed type (INFP.)

As for easy learning, perhaps. My brain seem to want to simplify things. Maybe its sees such a pattern as more simple as well, like a black and white "off and on" with no grey area inbetween. In much the same way it tries to very simplify complex structures and rarely takes it on in its complex form. Perhaps that makes me seem a bit simple to people, I don't know. I think my brain isn't overly that intelligent (I always strive for it to be intelligent, I see it as a work in progress.)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Have you ever used LSD? Sometimes I get little brain glitches like that, I think it is probably from doing acid in the past.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have you ever used LSD? Sometimes I get little brain glitches like that, I think it is probably from doing acid in the past.
No, I've never used drugs, ever. But as I've been typed several times previously as an INFP I would be surprised, I hear XNFP are supposed to be like a natural drugs trip (I usually come across as being a little stoned despite never smoking weed either!)

·
MOTM January 2013
10,643 Posts
Yeah I get this, I don't have to concentrate too hard either, mind you, it could like someone said earlier be some leftovers from doing acid or whatever years ago.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts