Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Honestly, no, not really. Or not usually. Probably because I am not looking for a relationship and don't think I ever want one again. If that changes, I might start feeling more envious. It's hard to look back on how I felt during previous times in life because ever since I started dating, I was almost never single.

We'll see. I do crave intimacy though, and oddly enough I feel more envious, at least in theory, about people having steamy flings (as opposed to a happy love committed relationship)... as that's about all I've been or seen myself as capable of having, ever since the breakup. Haha. I'm kinda messed up though, or maybe that's just my Four talking.

·
MOTM Jan 2014
11,128 Posts
8w4 here. ;)

I don't envy other couples nor do I envy other people who are dating my exes. The only time I felt envy in a relationship scenario is when I want to possess someone and couldn't. I liked him more than he liked me and in essence, I envied his power over me.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
It depends. In real life no, but when I'm watching a romping tv show, movie, or some other kind of media and it has very intense romantic scenes (Y'know what I'm talking about) I can get a little jealous. I feel like television and cinematography has really poisoned my mind in terms of the romantic ideal. Even so... I still want it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes!

Last night, I was hanging out with some friends in a coffee shop. We were in a far corner that was very separate from the rest of the seating area. A man and a woman sat down about 15 feet away from me, and the man gave her a very passionate surprise kiss. I was in the middle of talking to my friends, and I have no clue why - but I stopped mid sentence and gawked disapprovingly (way more dramatically than necessary) right when she made eye contact with me. She looked deathly embarrassed and pushed him away, and pulled out her phone so she wouldn't have to look at me.

Aaackghgh!

But, yes.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Usually, I'm fascinated by it. Envious, but more just because of how beautiful I find it (but they must seem genuinely happy). Then my mind becomes too taken by wether I'm "allowed" to keep watching or not. I often feel like I'm invading their privacy just by observing. Would watch all day, though, if I could lol >.<

·
Registered
219 Posts
It makes me happy at first. My second response is to imagine my own future romantic moments. It's not exactly envy. I don't want a replicate of the couple's experience, it just sparks the desire to finally experience my own romantic moments with the one girl I still have to find.

·
MOTM Jan 2014
11,128 Posts
Usually, I'm fascinated by it. Envious, but more just because of how beautiful I find it (but they must seem genuinely happy). Then my mind becomes too taken by wether I'm "allowed" to keep watching or not. I often feel like I'm invading their privacy just by observing. Would watch all day, though, if I could lol >.<
Exhibitionist couples would love you. :cool:

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Yes, but not all the time. It's more about what mood I am than the couple. I don't feel an envy that begrudges them their happiness either. I tend to just think, "Must be nice. I'll probably never find that. They probably found each other easily because they are both so 'regular'." I may think nothing at all & just experience some general mood of sadness & longing, and of being alienated from the rest of the human race that pairs off romantically & experiences such significant things in life as something rather ordinary, while I'm sort of stunted & starved.

There have been times I was thrilled to be single & this had no effect on me. That usually happens after exiting a relationship that left me feeling suffocated.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yes! Especially when I know the people in the couple. And especially when the girl looks really happy (in that sweet "girl smile" way) to be with him. God, yes.
I'm sure part of it's my 4-ness and part of it's that at age almost-18, I've never gone out with a girl, or had a first kiss, or anything. So yeah, it gives me this longing feeling of envy to see a beautiful thing that it seems like I can't have.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Yes. I feel exactly the way you said it when I see it. But then I envision all the imperfect moments they may have as a couple such as fights, etc. I feel sad and lonely yet content I'm not in one.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
hmm. Honestly, right now, no. I think if I am really wanting a relationship, then I would start to be envious, but right now, I'm not looking for a relationship. It really depends on what it is that I WANT.

There are other things I want right now like finding the perfect career, so when I see others so well-adjusted and doing what is like their dream job, I'm envious. I want to travel the world, so when I hear of friends traveling off somewhere cool, I'm envious. haha.

It probably depends on timing. I bet their will be a time when I do get envious of seeing happy couples in public, but its not now. But actually, when it comes to books/movies showing simple romance and people finding their true loves, then I do get a little envious and start dreaming a bit...but yeah, only books/movies can do that to me right now. Not necessarily "real-life" examples.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Attractive couple? Because I'd rather be single than ugly, amirite? lol :dry:

Seeing happy couples, is like seeing pregnant women. They have something that I don't. And maybe I envy them for it. But then I think of all the things that I, being single and childfree, have that they don't and I feel a lot better.

Reactions: nádej

·
Registered
122 Posts
No, I don't.
I feel genuine happiness for people who are able to have this kind of joy.

I find myself wishing, however, that I could have such a thing... but realize that my time will come.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Not so much envious as I am, "how do people do that?"

I am a fairly well-adjusted, happy person, but I have very little understanding for how one gets into a healthy and fulfilling long-term relationship. I don't know. I just missed learning that somewhere, and the people who did learn it are fascinating to me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts