Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find myself very capable of taking any situation and placing both positive and negative "spins" on it. Depending on whether I *want* to look at a situation negatively or positively (most times negatively).

For instance, when considering my University's scholarship, which offers 1500 dollars as a "Technology Stipend", as opposed to another University's scholarship, which offers a free laptop, I considered many aspects of both situations.

I considered that my University had the freedom of its students in mind - I also considered that perhaps they had failed to strike any deals with laptop providers and decided simply to give cash to the students.

I also considered the other University's possible goals in giving its students a laptop. Did this other University want to promote elitism by giving all these prestigious students the same laptop? Could this laptop be seen as a "symbol" of a scholar? Was the other University trying to instill proper academic values, or trying to get its students to adjust more to technology whereas in High School they might not have used technology in class so often?

All these thoughts came to me as I was chomping on my burrito and broccoli dinner.

Are other INTJs this apt to finding so many different possible meanings? I would think so.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Yep. That's why I couldn't decide who to vote for in this latest federal election (Australia). There was nobody who was clearly better.
Although in your situation, no way I would be happy with the university providing me with a laptop and denying me the choice of my own equipment, likely it would be a rather controlled system managed by the universities IT department. I would be likely to refuse the free laptop, so I have control over my own system.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Obviously, overall the better situation is for the 1500 dollar stipend, but still - in more hazy situations, this 'ability' can prove to be a bit overwhelming.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I see the many connotations of a situation all the time, and can subjectively interpret it either way. But after I realize that another perspective can be taken, I get hung up on accurately determining what the objective interpretation should be. I can't reap benefits or suffer the consequences until I fully understand the circumstances... which can be difficult, especially if it's a social setting and I'm having trouble navigating the social cues.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
I find myself very capable of taking any situation and placing both positive and negative "spins" on it. Depending on whether I *want* to look at a situation negatively or positively (most times negatively).

For instance, when considering my University's scholarship, which offers 1500 dollars as a "Technology Stipend", as opposed to another University's scholarship, which offers a free laptop, I considered many aspects of both situations.

I considered that my University had the freedom of its students in mind - I also considered that perhaps they had failed to strike any deals with laptop providers and decided simply to give cash to the students.

I also considered the other University's possible goals in giving its students a laptop. Did this other University want to promote elitism by giving all these prestigious students the same laptop? Could this laptop be seen as a "symbol" of a scholar? Was the other University trying to instill proper academic values, or trying to get its students to adjust more to technology whereas in High School they might not have used technology in class so often?

All these thoughts came to me as I was chomping on my burrito and broccoli dinner.

Are other INTJs this apt to finding so many different possible meanings? I would think so.

What you´re describing is the process where Fi can't figure out if something is right or wrong. Then all the factors that Ni comes up with start to surface and you start to search for more information, which is why you put up this question in the forum.

I can help you with the answer: The reason they give the laptops is a marketing reason to attract more students.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My point wasn't to find the reason behind the laptop and the stipend seperately. The reason for the offering of the stipends and the laptops separately was obvious, and you're right about that.

I was more focused on why one University offered a stipend, and why the other offered a laptop.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
It's just preference. One survey said "Give them money." The other said "Give them laptops." They are both the same thing. The only difference is how the local population views them.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I tend to be the devil's advocate simply because of this. Reality spirals into so many possible variations at times that it's laughable when people say "I can't believe this happened to me." Or maybe I'm just paranoid because, unless I complete lack any background knowledge, I can account for 90% of the possibilities if you give me a few basic facts. Sometimes, however, it can simply be too much. I think of so many possibilities for what people are doing or thinking, or will do or think, that I get overloaded by thinking about it for too long. I have to tell myself to let it go.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
My point wasn't to find the reason behind the laptop and the stipend seperately. The reason for the offering of the stipends and the laptops separately was obvious, and you're right about that.

I was more focused on why one University offered a stipend, and why the other offered a laptop.
Sorry about that. I thought that was clear too. It's because they have a better marketing team.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't even know University Marketing Teams controlled scholarship givings.

In fact, I heavily doubt that University Marketing Teams have that much control D:

·
Registered
6,423 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
There's another thread asking about describing Ni.............this is part of that. Given a situation, my mind just expands in all different directions at once while also being aware of what "positive/negative" connotations each view point holds and what group(s) hold such connotations. I personally really enjoy this process. Just wish I always had a burrito to go with it. (Sadly, Mexican food is not prevalent in Japan.)

Reactions: Snowguard

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hmm.

Why laptop? I would think it is a marketing decision too.
Money is vague unless it is over certain amount (like tens of thousand dollars),
Laptop, however, will most likely trigger the "train of thoughts on its usefulness" of it right away.

Basically, they are trying to accentuate their offer with minimal cost, with laptops.
These ONE-TIME cost for colleges are often negligible because they are far less than even one-semester-worth of tuition.
What matters more is the "per-semester" offers (after all you are staying for 8+ semesters).

My program gives (laptop + $7500 study abroad grant) for ONE-TIME fixed cost, and
(full tuition (including summer/winter classes) + $600 per semester for books (remainder for personal use)) for per-semester variable cost.
With tuition taken care of, whatever offered by government is free for my personal use. (~$2000 per semester).

·
Registered
130 Posts
For me, it's like a reflex. I can no longer count the number of times my mother read me a newspaper article, usually ending with a variaton of 'How could anyone do that', and my immediate response being, 'Yes, but perhaps [insert reasoning for opposite view]'.

In this way, I have found myself arguing for murderers, rapists, and worse, solely for the sake of looking at a situation from a different angle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts