Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my head I can "see" systems.

If I am trying to make a conversation, in my head half consciously I have this 3d view of a system, with openings, blocks, movements, and when I make it into the conversation it is like something clicks into one of those visual openings in my head.

This happens for nearly everything. Computers, video games, strategies for board games, politics, social situations etc.

Is this an ENTP thing? If you are another type, do you also do this, or am I just crazy?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I think that's just how your mind organizes things, but ENTPs are known to see different outcomes for everything, and predicting in a set manner what could or couldn't happen. I guess your brain just tries to make a more visual representation of this process.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Not sue if this post counts (seeing as it originates from an INTP) but it (my mind) works like a series of connected nodes that form a system. These connected nodes form a spiderweb of possibilities and probabilities. A node is basically a flagship category, i.e. 'liberalism' which when triggered (through thought of conversation) then sparks the threads running from it to the other nodes (hmm, french revolution, commerce, capitalism, yadda yadda) which are loosely linked, the thread itself is the connection between the ideas.

So basically fingers crossed the socially appropriate node and threads are triggered. Also this web is 3d.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I see everything as a system. From human interaction to computers. I don't see it like a spider web so much because in a web, you choose where to go with whatever route you have. The system in my head sees rules, possible outcomes, structure, etc. and decides how to manipulate all this in order to navigate. If something in the system is flawed or weak, then I will exploit it and/or shatter through.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
I do ''see'' systems. I tend to see how abstract systems contribute to concrete systems. How multiple values of different people manifest in human interactions that contribute to socio political systems.

Or

Understanding of Western 'democracy' at individual level.

How an individual might see democracy -> ideal implementation of freedom, economic progress
-> contribution to a view of hegemon status for the West

Opinions on how to stabilize the implementation -> education+ foreign policies

(Not that I agree with all aspects of Western democracy, but I'll talk about that some other time)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
(Not that I agree with all aspects of Western democracy, but I'll talk about that some other time)
Looking forward to that discussion. Have thoughts about it myself.

And oh....Yes, I think in systems, and also CREATE thought process systems to think efficiently. Maximum speed and low risk of error in data would be the goal. Whether I "see" a 3D model is uncertain. I just FEEL like I am inside a 3D system with many interlinked connections and systems, small and big (picture).

I have heard that many great thinkers "think" in 3D, but I cant say that I do. And I even work in arts, including 3D....

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
It is a Ti thing. Basically any type that has Ti as one of their four functions will be able to do this to certain extent. You build a model first, study how the pieces interrelate, and then proceed to logically rearrange them. INTPs and ISTPs are the types that excel in this mental model buildling process. ENTPs and ESTPs will have less ability to do this but they can make 'bolder' recombination moves. xxFJs whose Ti is tertiary or inferior do this to some extent too but not as much. Being a highly visual person I know what you're talking about, being able to see the system, but my Ti is only tertiary so these systems for me always come out sort of muddy, lacking in clarity, it takes me long time to work them out.

They say Einstein was an INTP of a very high intelligence so he probably build this immense model of the universe inside his head with his dominant Ti, then used a bit of Ne to rearrange the variables, and that's how he was able to come up with all those theoretical discoveries ^^

·
Registered
88 Posts
I see everything in "pressures"...like if i do/say this, this will happen. if i talk about this, it will make the person think this, then i can do this.

everything intertwining and using all different levels to get to whatever my goal happens to be

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I can see systems, and it helps me predict what will happen if a decision to do x is made in a complex system: how many other things will be affected. It's useful, but also frustrating, as most people seem only to be able to see the affect on the direct recipient of the decision, or their own angle. It's also possible to see all the various "nodes" change, and then when you think about it a bit more, add in some other possibility, see them all change again, like a row of dominoes going over.....

I wouldn't say I see everything as a system though. A conversation is just that, and in any case I'm usually half thinking of something else.....

·
Registered
393 Posts
This is actually a right-brain vs left-brain thing. MBTI *J types are left-brained and *P types are right-brained. More left-brained people will be very linguistically oriented. This is why they're so good at putting their thoughts into words.

Right-brained people build mental models in their heads of things. They understand systems very intuitively (with a lower-case i, not Intuition in a typological sense). I find that I can usually express myself better in pictures than in words.

·
Registered
162 Posts
You know, I think you made a very good point here. It is often difficult to understand the picture, as not just a blurry overview, but a highly detailed surface. Not only does this surface have spacial relationships, it also has other relationships which might even require further surfaces to compare (future instances). I think this is one of the main reaons why Calculus is so hard for individuals, is being able to build logically, intentions as reflections of a surface, but also as a series of those reflections. In a way it is like your mind naturally consumes the projected environment, and you think through it logically. You in a way are a builder of worlds, I know it sounds strange, but it is as close as one can get to being and accepting the universe externally, internally.

As an INFP, I tend to try to determine if I am willing to accept what is being built, and I desire an understand of the model, so I can determine what must be done to get it going in the right direction. The problem however, is that I'm not the only person in the world, so I am dealing with the directions of other individuals as well.

I think one of my favorite things is the discussion of classes by Betrand Russell. I highly recommend his books in general.

I think I've come to the conclusion that people see the surfaces of the world in varying degrees of internal reflection. Some have a high verbal connective ability and can name various parts of the surface, others might focus on the types of words that describe spacial relationships, like change, acceleration, velocity etc... But in reality, we understand that the surface is made up of not only parts but of moving parts. In addition, the ability to analyze and predict the consequences (behavior) of the system we need to understand physics.

However that isn't the only picture, we also need to understand people, as they influence the system. Imagine if you could not motivate workers to produce the materials needed to line the pathways of a circuit board, no matter how much logic existed in someone's mind, the acts of the psyche must be translated into production. One question I have is, why dosen't the rest of nature naturally produce circuit boards?

In other words, is it possible that we as humans, can produce not a new universe seperate from our own, but exploit the power of the same universe, to see just how diverse it can be? I am not suggesting we play gods, I'm suggesting we don't have a choice, we are capable of helping bring about things that nature has not done on this earth in billions of years.

One last thing and to be clear: I'm hinited at a theory of tool development, that focuses on functions of fields... this is a highly interesting area. If we can take not atoms, but learn how to control the fields, what other particles could we create? I do not know what is required to cause a neutron to form from an electron and proton, but to me, as I learn more about protons, I learn that they are energy fields as well. It would seem that we should be able to exploit a general theory of materials to craft new types of technology. I see all of biology as variances of these field interactions.

I can see systems, and it helps me predict what will happen if a decision to do x is made in a complex system: how many other things will be affected. It's useful, but also frustrating, as most people seem only to be able to see the affect on the direct recipient of the decision, or their own angle. It's also possible to see all the various "nodes" change, and then when you think about it a bit more, add in some other possibility, see them all change again, like a row of dominoes going over.....

I wouldn't say I see everything as a system though. A conversation is just that, and in any case I'm usually half thinking of something else.....

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
I also tend to see systems in terms of how they relate to a dual nature in the universe. Understanding what is opposite usually leads to connections. For example, understanding the subjective leads us to understanding what's right in the objective. Or understanding the darkness leads us to understand the light.

Also, micro systems of seemingly small human interactions actually connect in contributing to macro social systems. If that makes sense.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts