Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been considering type nine as being somewhere in my enneagram type recently, but the parts of the descriptions I can never measure up with are the bits about "idealising" the world or softening the harshness of reality in an attempt to merge oneself with it.

Every other aspect of type nine fits me well, but this aspect couldn't be any less true. I hate society. I genuinely loathe it to the core for turning our beautiful world full of beautiful people into a hive of industry, jobs and money. I feel nothing but contempt for the world around me (other than the brilliant people around me with unfulfilled potential coming out of their ears), and wish to "become one with it" to about the same degree that I wish to become one with a bath full of cockroaches.

Do any other nines relate to me on this front? Or is the idealisation of reality in order to conform to the values of the individual an essential part of being a nine?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I think it is a matter of perspective. I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I have learned a few things that changed my perspective. (It's gonna sound very cheesy, but it's very true.)

1) Hatred is unecessary and only creates more hatred. It creates a circle of revenge and anger and loads of negative emotions that only serves to colour our world with evil dirt. (I learned this from Naruto) Therefore, I have abandoned hatred. I still have dislike and disrespect though, which are good substitutes.

2) Love and beauty is ultimate. You're aware of this. Instead of defining the world by the disgust in it, define it by the beauty. I can 'idealise' the world because I look at all the good and look away from all the bad.

3) Why? Because my mission in life is to spread love, peace and happiness. It should be yours as well. Therefore, at least personally, I ignore the things that I cannot change, and instead focus on 'playing' the game which is society. If I play it darn well, I can use the resources I gain to promote and experience happiness and the beautiful moments of brilliance and love.

In total, I don't really idealise the world any more than you do, but I do embrace it, as I don't have a choice. This is where I was born, and I'll use whatever means and opportunities I have to make the world a better place for the people around me.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Tommy

Thank you for that post, it really made me think about how futile it is to retain my hatred. I've never been very good at "just getting on with things", and I tend to spot and obssess about the things that are wrong with my life and the world obsessively. Your post really put a new slant on things for me.

Reactions: Tommy

·
Registered
366 Posts
It's a pleasure to help =) I have to say though, that I think everyone has their personal take on the "world", it's by no means universal for 9's. Hopefully, as we become wiser, we attain more functional/better perspectives on the world.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts