Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking that the ISFP type seems to be incomplete. For example, the ISFP seems to be a combination of ISTP, ESTP, and ESFP. So, I guess what i'm getting at is that instead of being one solid personality type, the ISFP seems to be a combination of types that seem to conflict or polarize itself. Fi is often good for abstract things, but it's hindered by Se, which isn't good with abstract.

This is just me thinking out loud.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I think ISFP shares traits with other types but that doesn't mean it is composed of those types. I see what you mean about Fi/Se conflict but I also think it can be a really valuable and useful pairing.
Our perceptions about the physical world pair with our sense of what is good and beautiful to produce a holistic view of goodness and rightness. It grounds and physicalises our knowledge of the good so that it is not merely an idea but something that can be seen, tasted, touched.

That's how I see it anyway.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I think ISFP shares traits with other types but that doesn't mean it is composed of those types. I see what you mean about Fi/Se conflict but I also think it can be a really valuable and useful pairing.
Our perceptions about the physical world pair with our sense of what is good and beautiful to produce a holistic view of goodness and rightness. It grounds and physicalises our knowledge of the good so that it is not merely an idea but something that can be seen, tasted, touched.

That's how I see it anyway.
That's kind of the whole point of combining an abstract (introverted) function, with a concrete (extroverted) function. We need both to be complete. Which also points out the danger of being too introverted for the introvert, and too extroverted for the extrovert. You deny that part of you which is auxiliary, you deny an essential part of who you are. This is the source of these primary-tertiary loops that we read about here. For us ISFPs, it's an Fi-Ni loop. Gotta keep yourself grounded in the non-abstract physical world. :)

·
Registered
676 Posts
I've been thinking that the ISFP type seems to be incomplete. For example, the ISFP seems to be a combination of ISTP, ESTP, and ESFP.
An ISTP could seem a combination of ISFP ESFP and ESTP .

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I've been thinking that the ISFP type seems to be incomplete. For example, the ISFP seems to be a combination of ISTP, ESTP, and ESFP. So, I guess what i'm getting at is that instead of being one solid personality type, the ISFP seems to be a combination of types that seem to conflict or polarize itself. Fi is often good for abstract things, but it's hindered by Se, which isn't good with abstract.
Isn't it a good thing to have a rich and great personality? But no, the type is definitely not a combination of other types... and I think most of us are sane right now.

I think it's nice that we have a balance of the abstract and the concrete, so do other SPs. I think Se is the most concrete and real among the four perceiving functions. Imo, it actually gives you a lot of flexibility to explore and interact with/build your Fi. It's like you know what it is, then you can start to do your thing. You do want some concrete output from the world (from Se) to ground you. In fact we use Se pretty often even though you may not realize that.

Or you can "try" Ni if you are not happy, lol.

Reactions: LegendaryBoobs

·
Registered
ESFJ
486 Posts

This is just me thinking out loud.
I don't think that ISFP is a combination of any types. We are actually changing when our emotions "rearrange" and we can then end up acting like almost any type, but we are still ISFPs.

Famous ISFP, singer-songwriter, Bob Dylan has explained that well:

I change during the course of a day. I wake and I'm one person, and when I go to sleep I know for certain I'm somebody else. - Bob Dylan

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't think that ISFP is a combination of any types. We are actually changing when our emotions "rearrange" and we can then end up acting like almost any type, but we are still ISFPs.

Famous ISFP, singer-songwriter, Bob Dylan has explained that well:

I change during the course of a day. I wake and I'm one person, and when I go to sleep I know for certain I'm somebody else. - Bob Dylan

I agree with this entirely. My friends say I have different sides to me (not like bipolar sides) but certain situations bring out different personalities.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts