Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They said that Seinfeld was a "show about nothing". These guys just sit there, and create these fantasy worlds, and Ne them up to the sky. Ne can create something out of nothing. It can create many things out of nothing. I said before that Ne is the mimic function, and it sees situations and people like silly putty. It stretches them any way it can be stretched. Often to an absurdity.

What I really like about Ne, and what I think its comedy relies on, is expansion within the absurdity. The absurdity penetrates all situations, and multiplies. Just when you think the absurdity is gonna end, it manifests itself again. I said Ne is like microwave popcorn. It never stops popping. Once you think it is done, another goes off.

I was recently laughing my balls off at the 60s film The Producers. Mel Brooks has to be Ne. Anyway. These guys realize that they can make a large profit off a play, if it totally flops and closes in one night. They gather funds from investors assuming a long run. But they want to make the worst play ever. So it will close in one night. And they take every step to do it, but cannot. Until they finally end up in prison running the con there. The absurdity prevails. Ne relies on a kind of comedic serendipity.

Seinfeld is masterful at this. Countless examples. The show even ended with Ne. They were sitting in a jail cell, Neing it up. Again the absurdity prevails.

One episode I like off the top of my head. Lloyd Braun. He was in the nuthouse. He gets out, and everybody has to be on eggshells around him. Lloyd Braun is the sanest guy there ever was, everything he says is normal and sane. That is the world they have to create for him. Which is obviously an absurdity. So they have to continue to do crazy things, for Braun to maintain his sanity. They end up crazy themselves. And of course nobody understands this world but them.

Braun orders a hot dog that is obviously very old. The guy behind the counter asks if he is crazy. Kramer immediately jumps up and tells the guy it is perfectly sane thing to eat.

Lloyd goes to the counter, and speaks to the attendant.
LLOYD: I'd like a hotdog, please.
The attendant looks to the machine, which contains one hotdog. The appearance of
the article is not pleasant. It's wrinkled, shriveled, and generally
disgusting.
ATTENDANT: Are you outta your mind?
Hearing this, Kramer dashes over.
KRAMER: Wh...wh...wh... what's the problem here?
ATTENDANT: This hotdog's been here since the silent era. You'd have to be insane
to eat it.
KRAMER: No, no, no, no, no. This man is not insane. Now there's nothing wrong
with it or you.
LLOYD: Kramer, maybe...
KRAMER: No, no, no, no. I'll show you. (slams a bill down on the counter) One
hotdog please.
ATTENDANT: (on your head be it) Okay.
KRAMER: Mmm, doesn't that smell good, huh?
The attendant hands over the hotdog.
KRAMER: Yeah, here we go, yeah. (he takes a big bite) Mmm, oh. That's delicious.
Mmm. It's a perfectly sane food to eat. (he takes another bite)
As he chews, it begins to be apparent that all is not as it should be with the
hotdog.
KRAMER: Uhm, interesting texture. It's chewy. (he half-coughs, half-retches) I
gotta get, some air.
Kramer stumbles toward the exit, bits of half-chewed hotdog falling from his
mouth.

And Jerry has to fake that he wears glasses:

Kramer is handing Jerry a pair of spectacles.
KRAMER: Yeah, put these glasses on.
JERRY: (taking them) Well, what's this for?
KRAMER: Yeah, well Lloyd, he's gonna be here any minute now.
JERRY: So what?
KRAMER: Well, he thinks you wear those.
Jerry looks at the glasses with some distaste.

And George is going crazy:

The remains of George's car are being towed away. On the opposite side of the
road, watching, are Deena and George.
DEENA: So, you want my father to pay for this?
GEORGE: You saw him. He was fiddling with the engine. God knows what he did
there.
DEENA: And I suppose Lloyd Braun had something to do with it too.
GEORGE: No, not Lloyd Braun. But the cashier.
DEENA: What cashier?
GEORGE: You remember the woman on the horse? She wanted my spot.
DEENA: To park her horse?
GEORGE: No, she wasn't on the horse.
DEENA: So, your car caught fire because of my father and the woman on the horse?
GEORGE: That's right.
Across the street, the florist is outside his store, arranging flowers.
GEORGE: (points) And him!
DEENA: The man with the flowers?
GEORGE: Yeah, yeah, the flower guy. Listen, I know this all sounds a little
crazy, but...
A car pulls up beside George and Deena. George looks in the window.
GEORGE: I can't believe it. Look, that's Jerry Seinfeld.
DEENA: Who?
GEORGE: Jerry Seinfeld. My best friend. He can explain all of this. (calls to
Jerry) Jerry.
Jerry hears his name called and turns his head, but all he can see are blurry
colored shapes.
GEORGE: Jerry! Over here Jerry. It's me!
The car pulls away, leaving George calling after it.
GEORGE: Jerry, where y'going? It's... what're...
DEENA: (doubtful) That was your best friend?
GEORGE: Yeah, yeah, but he doesn't wear glasses.
DEENA: That man was wearing glasses.
GEORGE: I know. Don't you see. (emphatic) He was doing it to fool Lloyd Braun!

Nobody outside the main cast is even aware of the absurdity. Another reason why it is great. It is like two worlds.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Hmmm... I didn't find that funny.

I suppose the reason for that is because of the buckets of Ne being poured out. It addresses more or less any possibility that Ne can find, leaving none for me to work into what I am seeing - effectively not allowing my cognition to properly operate.

·
Registered
697 Posts
They said that Seinfeld was a "show about nothing". These guys just sit there, and create these fantasy worlds, and Ne them up to the sky. Ne can create something out of nothing. It can create many things out of nothing. I said before that Ne is the mimic function, and it sees situations and people like silly putty. It stretches them any way it can be stretched. Often to an absurdity.

What I really like about Ne, and what I think its comedy relies on, is expansion within the absurdity. The absurdity penetrates all situations, and multiplies. Just when you think the absurdity is gonna end, it manifests itself again. I said Ne is like microwave popcorn. It never stops popping. Once you think it is done, another goes off.

I was recently laughing my balls off at the 60s film The Producers. Mel Brooks has to be Ne. Anyway. These guys realize that they can make a large profit off a play, if it totally flops and closes in one night. They gather funds from investors assuming a long run. But they want to make the worst play ever. So it will close in one night. And they take every step to do it, but cannot. Until they finally end up in prison running the con there. The absurdity prevails. Ne relies on a kind of comedic serendipity.

Seinfeld is masterful at this. Countless examples. The show even ended with Ne. They were sitting in a jail cell, Neing it up. Again the absurdity prevails.

One episode I like off the top of my head. Lloyd Braun. He was in the nuthouse. He gets out, and everybody has to be on eggshells around him. Lloyd Braun is the sanest guy there ever was, everything he says is normal and sane. That is the world they have to create for him. Which is obviously an absurdity. So they have to continue to do crazy things, for Braun to maintain his sanity. They end up crazy themselves. And of course nobody understands this world but them.

Braun orders a hot dog that is obviously very old. The guy behind the counter asks if he is crazy. Kramer immediately jumps up and tells the guy it is perfectly sane thing to eat.

Lloyd goes to the counter, and speaks to the attendant.
LLOYD: I'd like a hotdog, please.
The attendant looks to the machine, which contains one hotdog. The appearance of
the article is not pleasant. It's wrinkled, shriveled, and generally
disgusting.
ATTENDANT: Are you outta your mind?
Hearing this, Kramer dashes over.
KRAMER: Wh...wh...wh... what's the problem here?
ATTENDANT: This hotdog's been here since the silent era. You'd have to be insane
to eat it.
KRAMER: No, no, no, no, no. This man is not insane. Now there's nothing wrong
with it or you.
LLOYD: Kramer, maybe...
KRAMER: No, no, no, no. I'll show you. (slams a bill down on the counter) One
hotdog please.
ATTENDANT: (on your head be it) Okay.
KRAMER: Mmm, doesn't that smell good, huh?
The attendant hands over the hotdog.
KRAMER: Yeah, here we go, yeah. (he takes a big bite) Mmm, oh. That's delicious.
Mmm. It's a perfectly sane food to eat. (he takes another bite)
As he chews, it begins to be apparent that all is not as it should be with the
hotdog.
KRAMER: Uhm, interesting texture. It's chewy. (he half-coughs, half-retches) I
gotta get, some air.
Kramer stumbles toward the exit, bits of half-chewed hotdog falling from his
mouth.

And Jerry has to fake that he wears glasses:

Kramer is handing Jerry a pair of spectacles.
KRAMER: Yeah, put these glasses on.
JERRY: (taking them) Well, what's this for?
KRAMER: Yeah, well Lloyd, he's gonna be here any minute now.
JERRY: So what?
KRAMER: Well, he thinks you wear those.
Jerry looks at the glasses with some distaste.

And George is going crazy:

The remains of George's car are being towed away. On the opposite side of the
road, watching, are Deena and George.
DEENA: So, you want my father to pay for this?
GEORGE: You saw him. He was fiddling with the engine. God knows what he did
there.
DEENA: And I suppose Lloyd Braun had something to do with it too.
GEORGE: No, not Lloyd Braun. But the cashier.
DEENA: What cashier?
GEORGE: You remember the woman on the horse? She wanted my spot.
DEENA: To park her horse?
GEORGE: No, she wasn't on the horse.
DEENA: So, your car caught fire because of my father and the woman on the horse?
GEORGE: That's right.
Across the street, the florist is outside his store, arranging flowers.
GEORGE: (points) And him!
DEENA: The man with the flowers?
GEORGE: Yeah, yeah, the flower guy. Listen, I know this all sounds a little
crazy, but...
A car pulls up beside George and Deena. George looks in the window.
GEORGE: I can't believe it. Look, that's Jerry Seinfeld.
DEENA: Who?
GEORGE: Jerry Seinfeld. My best friend. He can explain all of this. (calls to
Jerry) Jerry.
Jerry hears his name called and turns his head, but all he can see are blurry
colored shapes.
GEORGE: Jerry! Over here Jerry. It's me!
The car pulls away, leaving George calling after it.
GEORGE: Jerry, where y'going? It's... what're...
DEENA: (doubtful) That was your best friend?
GEORGE: Yeah, yeah, but he doesn't wear glasses.
DEENA: That man was wearing glasses.
GEORGE: I know. Don't you see. (emphatic) He was doing it to fool Lloyd Braun!

Nobody outside the main cast is even aware of the absurdity. Another reason why it is great. It is like two worlds.

Do you think all the main characters are Ne? I always thought George and Kramer were. Classic episode I love it!

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you think all the main characters are Ne? I always thought George and Kramer were. Classic episode I love it!
Seinfeld is listed as an ENFP. That makes sense to me. The connection came to me last night while watching The Producers. Gene Wilder is in it. He is just like Seinfeld. He is whatever type Seinfeld is. He so reminded me of Seinfeld. They are these guys who somehow end up getting pushed in these situations. Jerry is actually normal. Just like Wilder was in The Producers. They get dragged along by crazy people. Kramer seems like ENTP. I have heard IxFP for Elaine. George is an INTJ maybe. I don't know.

Reactions: penny lane

·
Registered
697 Posts
Seinfeld is listed as an ENFP. That makes sense to me. The connection came to me last night while watching The Producers. Gene Wilder is in it. He is just like Seinfeld. He is whatever type Seinfeld is. He so reminded me of Seinfeld. They are these guys who somehow end up getting pushed in these situations. Jerry is actually normal. Just like Wilder was in The Producers. They get dragged along by crazy people. Kramer seems like ENTP. I have heard IxFP for Elaine. George is an INTJ maybe. I don't know.

I always thought George as an INTP and that he was largely based on Larry David. I'm not sure I haven't tried to type them but that's what hear about George.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
@FearAndTrembling -

Jerry Seinfeld himself is almost certainly an ENFJ. First he is an Fe-dom. Everything is objectively weighed for communal worth an appropriatness. Also, he is the quintessential condescending ADULT. He was probably the uber-appropriate civilized adult at 5 years old.

Now, watch him talk and interact. He has two modes outside of super overt and obvious dominant Fe:

1) Novel engagement. Speccing out an old roadster or launching a boat. Yes, in this video, he launches a freaking boat... even Jimmy Fallon, the Se-dom, is surprised and awed.

2) Talking about the zeitgeist of any occurrence. After speccing the car, he talks about what the car IS. In this case, it is a symbol of a time. This he spits out like it was the most obvious thing to anyone. It is casual and anything but an afterthought. Again and again and again and again he takes the conversation to the this meta zeitgeisty place. It is absolute and subjective... and it colors everything he says. He is DEFINITELY an intuitive, and not an Ne-dom. I think the relative equal footing of Se and Ni in him makes him seem Ne (as it might seem, for example, that Jimmy Fallon is... which is one of the reasons I purposefully chose this video... and we all know that Jimmy is a huge Se-dom).

Jerry is put on another level due to the influence of Intuition, yes, but he is first and above all an Fe. He and Jimmy are the same thing kinda switched. That is why I chose this video. You can see Jimmy struggling with the constant ventures into Intuition, which has nothing, btw, to do with comedy. But, they connect on Se/Fe-Fe/Se.

Good times.

Jimmy Fallon The Unsinkable Legend: Part 1 - Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee by Jerry Seinfeld

Gonna mention @alittlebear to show what I consider an example of ENFJ who isn't a holy crusader.

PS.... that doesn't mean that the show wasn't Ne. Larry David was the main writer, wasn't he?

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@FearAndTrembling -

Jerry Seinfeld himself is almost certainly an ENFJ. First he is an Fe-dom. Everything is objectively weighed for communal worth an appropriatness. Also, he is the quintessential condescending ADULT. He was probably the uber-appropriate civilized adult at 5 years old.

Now, watch him talk and interact. He has two modes outside of super overt and obvious dominant Fe:

1) Novel engagement. Speccing out an old roadster or launching a boat. Yes, in this video, he launches a freaking boat... even Jimmy Fallon, the Se-dom, is surprised and awed.

2) Talking about the zeitgeist of any occurrence. After speccing the car, he talks about what the car IS. In this case, it is a symbol of a time. This he spits out like it was the most obvious thing to anyone. It is casual and anything but an afterthought. Again and again and again and again he takes the conversation to the this meta zeitgeisty place. It is absolute and subjective... and it colors everything he says. He is DEFINITELY an intuitive, and not an Ne-dom. I think the relative equal footing of Se and Ni in him makes him seem Ne (as it might seem, for example, that Jimmy Fallon is... which is one of the reasons I purposefully chose this video... and we all know that Jimmy is a huge Se-dom).

Jerry is put on another level due to the influence of Intuition, yes, but he is first and above all an Fe. He and Jimmy are the same thing kinda switched. That is why I chose this video. You can see Jimmy struggling with the constant ventures into Intuition, which has nothing, btw, to do with comedy. But, they connect on Se/Fe-Fe/Se.

Good times.

Jimmy Fallon The Unsinkable Legend: Part 1 - Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee by Jerry Seinfeld

Gonna mention @alittlebear to show what I consider an example of ENFJ who isn't a holy crusader.

PS.... that doesn't mean that the show wasn't Ne. Larry David was the main writer, wasn't he?
I was getting ready to disagree until I watched an interview with him. He seems Ne and Fi on the show. He does have that Jewish mother thing going though. It is just so weak, and he is such a pushover. He asserts himself more irl.

Nothing is more novel and unpredictable than Ne though. I do think Seinfeld is using Fe irl. It also fits with my theory that NFJ would make terrible actors. Seinfeld is a horrible actor. Easily the worst actor on the show. I think he may still be Ne-Fi on the show though. He just lets these idiots do what they do, and enables them. Which may be why he looks so unnatural on the show. He is confined by David's Ne, and everybody else's. Maybe that is the comedy of the show. Seinfeld is a deer in headlights in a world of Ne.

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@FearAndTrembling -

Good times.

I want to reiterate how good of a point this is, that went over my head. It explains something about my own type. I have a very novel engagement. Especially irl. Which made no sense for INFJ. But I don't think am Ne. But Fe explains its. I know a ton of NP. I am more serious, but I am also more unpredictable. Fe is shock value basically. It is a production. I have said before, I am a character. I like to pressure people in the environment and put them in weird situations, to see how they respond.

·
Banned
2,244 Posts
I don't watch TV so I don't know what a Seinfield is. But I agree that Ne is the wellhead of comedy, creating absurdity out of everyday life. It's interesting that some cultures need stand-up comedians to entertain them while in others regular people spontaneously entertain those around them.

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't watch TV so I don't know what a Seinfield is. But I agree that Ne is the wellhead of comedy, creating absurdity out of everyday life. It's interesting that some cultures need stand-up comedians to entertain them while in others regular people spontaneously entertain those around them.
Maybe because our culture is isolated. I think Thoreau said that a city is a bunch of lonely people living close to each other. Comedy helps you to connect with people. It is a point of relation. It reveals something you never noticed about yourself, and didn't know others did too. It reminds you of something you didn't know. Good comedians, like good writers, have to understand people to relate to them.

Reactions: Highway Nights

·
Banned
2,244 Posts
Maybe because our culture is isolated. I think Thoreau said that a city is a bunch of lonely people living close to each other. Comedy helps you to connect with people. It is a point of relation. It reveals something you never noticed about yourself, and didn't know others did too. It reminds you of something you didn't know. Good comedians, like good writers, have to understand people to relate to them.

That's true, I've lived in both types of cultures and I can feel the difference. I'm more like an every-day clown-comedian myself.

I've seen some on youtube, I like George Carlin and Robin Williams, both ENxP I'd guess.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I'm not sure if I lack Ne or I have very weak use of it. For a long time I though I must have it I can make random connections that don't seem that obvious.The other side though I don't brainstorm .I might have one idea to someone else having six but I'm less likely to talk about that idea. I seldom talk about my own ideas I'm more likely to act on them.
In a group I am more likely to help improve on an idea someone else has.

I had the impression in interviews that Seinfeld was a different type from his character.By his own admission the other character were more interesting than his.

·
MOTM Sept 2014
8,492 Posts
I was laughing to myself just reading that OP. Great episode. Lol. I love Seinfeld. Seinfeld and Monty Python get me every time. Never fails.

I have nothing really of value to add to this discussion. Sorry.

Reactions: FearAndTrembling

·
Plumcot
2,186 Posts
I was laughing to myself just reading that OP. Great episode. Lol. I love Seinfeld. Seinfeld and Monty Python get me every time. Never fails.

I have nothing really of value to add to this discussion. Sorry.
Do you still have trouble figuring out if you're ENTP or INTJ?

·
MOTM Sept 2014
8,492 Posts
Do you still have trouble figuring out if you're ENTP or INTJ?
I have no idea what I am. I find typing myself extremely difficult.

I waa thinking about Elaine Benes though. I think she uses Fi, if I am understanding it correctly. She has very strong persona values. I remember her upsetting Poppie because she made a scene in his restaurant about abortion. She even dumped a guy over it. She is very focused on her principles. She also seems to be a bit more serious than the others, at times. There have been times where the immaturity of the others has irritated her.

Reactions: Slagasauras

·
Plumcot
2,186 Posts
I have no idea what I am. I find typing myself extremely difficult.

I waa thinking about Elaine Benes though. I think she uses Fi, if I am understanding it correctly. She has very strong persona values. I remember her upsetting Poppie because she made a scene in his restaurant about abortion. She even dumped a guy over it. She is very focused on her principles. She also seems to be a bit more serious than the others, at times. There have been times where the immaturity of the others has irritated her.
Why do you doubt your type?

She sounds like an Fi user!

·
MOTM Sept 2014
8,492 Posts
Why do you doubt your type?

She sounds like an Fi user!
It all started with multiple different people telling me they thought I used Ti and Fe. And INTJs use neither. So it got me thinking, I could have been mistyped. It's hard for me to say.

And yeah, thinking about Elaine again I am wondering if she might be INFP or ENFP.

·
Plumcot
2,186 Posts
It all started with multiple different people telling me they thought I used Ti and Fe. And INTJs use neither. So it got me thinking, I could have been mistyped. It's hard for me to say.

And yeah, thinking about Elaine again I am wondering if she might be INFP or ENFP.
Do you have their arguments still?

·
Registered
697 Posts
This topic remind me of the show Who's Line Is it Anyways. Making it all up in the moment seems very Ne but would it have to be Ne dom?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts