Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to have selective judging? (Or any other trait, for that matter.)

I have some areas of my life that are very unorganized. For example, my room is a mess*. I love thinking about off the wall randomness (that may be more of N.)

Some other things I like to have very organized. For example, time. I like to have anything important (work, school, etc.) carefully scheduled out. Many of my personal projects develop an organization that I stick to almost religiously. However, that organization is something I tinker with trying to find the most efficient ways to do things.

*More on the messy room:
Are there any Js out there who have messy rooms?

Part of having a messy room may have to do with being raised in a household your messiness is standard and being in a room that is half full of family storage.

I haven't always had a messy room. There were a few months when my room was very clean.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I just think you're looking and judging and perceiving somewhat inaccurately. It's not about cleanliness and messiness at all...

My mom is an INFJ, and she seems to like cleaning or keeping things nice for the sake of presentation. It's extremely important to her. She keeps the yard nice because if someone thought that our family was trash, it'd really hurt her. Actions and presentation are a show of how important something is, and that seems to be a main focus for her. She might work as hard as she can on something and complete it before the required time(like for school perhaps) which may be associated with Js. What's important is why she does it. In that situation, it might be to show the teacher she cares.

My dad's an ISTJ and I can't say that he's particularly clean at all. He's not organized either. I think it's because that's how he was raised and that's what he sees as working. And I've heard from ISJs that it's hard for Si-doms to change their ways. I'm still looking into that since change comes naturally to me.

Look at it in terms of cognitive functions...I'm not sure what your type is, though. So I can't help you...
This newer thread in the INFJ section is interesting as it describes from their perspectives why INFJs might seem P-ish rather than J-ish. One of the things that was suggested was that they see what needs to be done and also see when nothing really needs to be done at all. Therefore, they may 'go with the flow' at times. That gives more insight into how J/P trait manifestation or whatever depends more on the actual type.

As an Ne-dom, I can sometimes imagine how things might go wrong, so I may have some stereotypical J traits. I'm not against organization, but this one article on Ne explains it well: 'Ne-doms want to be open to the possibilities and they may ignore things that seem to block that'. I don't really see how it's necessary to have a perfect order, but if I do see how cleaning things up a little would make things more efficient, then I'm for it. Plus, I tend to take things from other people that I see as useful...that includes various methods for organization or orderliness and so on. But my orientation toward change can be aligned with my Ne pretty well.

That might be confusing, but in short: It's more about cognitive functions...But I wouldn't say there's anything such as selective judging.

Reactions: Eylrid

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're right about the cleanliness, messiness thing. When I thought about it more I realized that my brother, who is an INFJ, has usually had a very messy room.

I also remembered that my biggest original reason for thinking I am a P is the fact that I don't like making decisions, especially important ones involving other people. Because of the way the P/J difference was originally explained to me I thought of Js as the decision makers.

I really like systems. I realized the other day that the reason I like systems is because a good system will make the decisions for you.

As for my type, I know I am an IN. For over a year I thought I knew I was an INFP. It fit me well. Now, I'm starting to see more and more things that I have in common with INTJs. I'm fairly sure that my feelings are introverted, so I'm probably one or the other.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
You are INTP, and I claim my five pounds.

Ti all over the place in your posts, with Ne secondary.

Aside: selective judging is linguistically a tautology......is this also the case psychologically?

Also I think FJs are not necessarily tidy people. The two FJs in my home are tidy-ish, I grant you. But not really seriously neat.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At first I thought I was INTP, but was very unsure. Before long I switched to thinking I was INFP for various reasons. For over a year I was fairly certain about that (far more certain than I ever was about being INTP).

Associating with INFPs has always been more comfortable for me than associating with INTPs.

I recently discovered that I relate well with INTJs.

I am curious though, what are some examples of things I've posted that you see as Ti?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Liking systems. Liking to set up systems that will work for you. Having a schedule or organisation for things that you change to make it more efficient. All do do with structures and patterns, but it speaks of internal organisation (Ti) rather than external (Te).
Although not liking to make decisions about other people is a bit Fi, I grant you :)

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Liking systems. Liking to set up systems that will work for you. Having a schedule or organisation for things that you change to make it more efficient. All do do with structures and patterns, but it speaks of internal organisation (Ti) rather than external (Te).
Yeah, that had confused me a few months ago because I can completely relate to this. But I thought it was Te, and not only that, but I thought I was a J rather than a P...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts