Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is a scientific test to find if somebody is self aware, but I think that test has far too low standards. I propose that about 90% of teenagers and about 70% humans are not self aware in that they never really think of the significance of they're existence. They just go through life without ever really coming to terms with the fact that they exist and just accept they're existence because they can think.

Answer honestly, are you self aware by my definition and do you think that INTPs are because of the wandering nature of out minds more likely to be self aware?

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'm more away of the "big questions" I think. Intellectually aware...

Self aware? Not really. I have really lagged in that respect.....didn't pick up as fast as other people have. I don't realize how I come across or how stupid what I say is for a long time. I still have to watch myself. I've really put my mind to it though and I'd say I'm above average now, but it was hard work and it didn't come naturally.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
The current way of testing for self-awareness involves a spot on the forehead and a mirror. What would your test look like?

To answer your question: Yes. I've had those thoughts and I find they spring out of boredom more than anything else. Existential crisis' are made of spare time and lack of intertia more than it's made out of natural propensity to be a thinker. Most people are just busy all the time. Those who think, aren't.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think that my definition is very testable. I don't disagree with the validity of the current test, I just think that there is more to the term 'self aware' than being able to identify yourself, although that is a major part of it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
The current way of testing for self-awareness involves a spot on the forehead and a mirror. What would your test look like?

To answer your question: Yes. I've had those thoughts and I find they spring out of boredom more than anything else. Existential crisis' are made of spare time and lack of intertia more than it's made out of natural propensity to be a thinker. Most people are just busy all the time. Those who think, aren't.
That's a good point. Very good point.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I don't think that my definition is very testable. I don't disagree with the validity of the current test, I just think that there is more to the term 'self aware' than being able to identify yourself, although that is a major part of it.
Well definetly! I agree. I think self-aware as in being able to see the world objectively. Then there is the whole 'Pale blue dot' thing, where you look at the stars at night pondering your own insignificance, the vastness of time, and how short life is. Being truly self-aware, I think, requres that you have been removed from the subjective self for a brief period of time but long enough that you recognize your own place in life. Not everyone have experienced this and the resulting influx of existential questions spurring spiritual growth, but I'm fairly certain most will deal with some of the questions during their lifetime.

Yeah, probably can't test for it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
i do all i can to avoid self-awareness most of the time because i'm always self-conscious and self-loathing when i'm self aware. This is why the booze and drugs happen.

I would imagine it's part of my default state though if i have to quash it so actively

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
I know there is a scientific test to find if somebody is self aware, but I think that test has far too low standards. I propose that about 90% of teenagers and about 70% humans are not self aware in that they never really think of the significance of they're existence. They just go through life without ever really coming to terms with the fact that they exist and just accept they're existence because they can think.

Answer honestly, are you self aware by my definition and do you think that INTPs are because of the wandering nature of out minds more likely to be self aware?
I think I am very self-aware, and when I was younger this awareness made life extremely difficult for me. I could never concentrate on my classwork in high school because I was too busy breaking everything down and analyzing who I was in the world to be mentally present. I think introverts are more self-aware than extroverts because we are stimulated by our internal world; extroverts need stimulation from an external source. But that is probably not always the case.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I've thought about this matter many times and my conclusion is that I'm not intelligent enough to understand the meaning of my existance, if it exists a meaning for my life (probably not).
Same for my consciousness. At the moment I've not idea of how it works. And probably we (as humanity) are not able to understand it. At least at the moment.
Or all this could be just a delusion. Who knows?
Not me.

Sad, but true.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts