Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do we really have a tendancy to be that self-centered and arrogant? I sure as hell know I do. Is this a common thing among INTPs? I don't really try to put others down, but I do tend to want to "flaunt my intellect".

:frustrating:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Its buffoon by the way. Yes we flaunt our intellects because its our strength god damn it. I take "asshole" as a compliment.

Don't waste your time "impressing" others with your intellectual BS when they are clearly not on that level, though. The funny thing about INTPs is that we piss people off and then when they are pissed off, feel unloved and get frustrated at incompetence with others.

Make the decision. Do you want to be liked by others or do you want to be celebrated for your unrelenting intellectual pursuits? There is a way to connect with people without talking about Nietzsche or the Big Bang Theory. Just make sure you make time for yourself and what you truly enjoy.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Do we really have a tendancy to be that self-centered and arrogant? I sure as hell know I do. Is this a common thing among INTPs? I don't really try to put others down, but I do tend to want to "flaunt my intellect".

:frustrating:
if some can show off their abs or tits, why wouldn't I be able to flaunt my goods?

·
Registered
911 Posts
intps also have abs or tits. Or both.
Indeed.
I was trying to illustrate a point - in this modern society it's okay, even endorsed, to show off clothes, posteriors, mammary glands, muscles... basically anything phsyical.
But when we start ostentating (great word) our intellect, we're arrogant, aloof, rude and condescending.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
INTP's have to be careful with their words. Without considering feelings, and INTP can cause harm with words they may not realize. I find the following to be true. It has gotten me into fights before:(

" the dominant Ti function means that the INTP takes his interests and beliefs very seriously. Honesty and directness when explaining these interests are usually displayed. INTPs detest facades and particulary dislike people who exhibit them. Equally, those kind of people also dislike INTPs and avoid them at all cost, for they know that the INTP will see right through them. The INTP's serious nature also makes them almost immune to mockery and being made fun of, at least when face to face with their mocker. If someone attempts to make a sarcastic, mocking comment about an interest of an INTP, the latter will defend himself with a pure, almost naive seriousness, explaining his position with a severe exactness, wielding his words like swords. This almost always disarms the mocker who does not expect such a penetrating defence. The INTPs defence usually also contains a subtle but biting attack thrown back in the mocker's face, chiefly because the INTP cannot entirely hide the fact that he believes his opponent to be stupid. Such confrontations might develop rapidly into physical ones, a danger that the INTP should be aware of. This ability to wield words with cutting precision is one of the INTP's greatest assests, but equally one of his most deadly traits. He is capable of using words creatively to penetrate deep into the understanding of a subject, but if not checked and wielded carelessly, his words can become highly destructive, especially where the Feeling function is heavily suppressed."

Source - James, P. An INTP Profile. Located at An INTP Profile = a great read

·
Registered
135 Posts
You misspelled buffoon and killed another part of my brain.

And yes. If douchebags and "sexy" (sexy as in anorexic) girls get to show off, why can't we? Oh yeah, because then we'd be labeled as know-it-alls. That aside, flaunting intellect is fun, especially when you correct some idiot who constantly attempts to prove you wrong and thinks they're right. XD

But as opinionated-wise, it's kinda like, you wanted my opinion; there ya go. Shouldn't have asked for it. Many people don't realize that if you ask what an INTP thinks, they're not gonna sugarcoat it. :I

Reactions: Radiant Flux

·
Registered
70 Posts
Part of the self-centered attitude (as demonstrated by the upcoming pronoun), for me, comes from the fact that I haven't been able to figure out just who I am yet.

My lack of identity causes low-self esteem, which I've found, oddly enough, leads to arrogance. Not the "Oh, I'm so wonderful and so is my life!" type of arrogance, just a sort of angry... face-nommage type of arrogance. I feel crappy about myself, which I project onto other people, which leads to me aggressively defending my opinions/feelings on a subject. This in addition to the general feeling that most of the populace are complete sack-brains.

Well, I guess 15 isn't exactly an age known for particularly well-formed self identity. :frustrating: I just wish I had a few more opportunites for personal growth, as opposed to sitting on my rear all day.

...Did I just answer the question with that monologue? :mellow:

·
Registered
672 Posts
Yeah. It's hard to be humble/hide my light under a bushel when I'm so bloody perfect.

Or not.

Reactions: Icotic

·
Registered
434 Posts
Definitely buffoon.

I liked the part about not being able to hide the fact you think your opponent is stupid. hahaha

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm pretty self-centered, and it drives most of my decisions. However, I'm insecure and care what people think of me (inferior Fe), so I try not to be an ass.. unless someone says something stupid.

·
Registered
988 Posts
The entire 'people are stupid' attitude is familiar to me, yes, but I can be pretty stupid, as well. However, the arrogance only extends to 'you can rule the world as long as you don't bother me, but if you do, I'll instigate a revolt.'

:wink:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
From Dictionary.com

self-centered
- 2 dictionary results
self-cen·tered

–adjective
1.concerned solely or chiefly with one's own interests, welfare, etc.; engrossed in self; selfish; egotistical.

2.independent, self-sufficient.

3.centered in oneself or itself.

4.Archaic . fixed; unchanging.

#2 and #3 are correct definitions of me. #1 I work to avoid. I can say that I have always and do care about others and donated weekly for many years to my favorite global charity. My ego I try not to show.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I don't think we are selfish I think we are individualistic. We are independent and all our our gifts and talents and motivates lie within the realm of private, individual pursuits. Other people would do the same thing if they were us.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts