Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Something I wish I had, and I greatly respect those that do have it. I hope to work on this in the future, but I'm afraid I'm currently not a very disciplined person, nor do I think I'm naturally built to be.

·
Registered
47 Posts
it makes me bloom.
it's been one of the harder things for me to learn
but everything is learnable.

i had to reorder my thinking processes to trick myself
into doing what i know i want to do,
even if i don't feel like it.
but after i've started, i get into the work.

today i wrote for 2 hours.
it's not as much as i used to do but it's better than the 1 hour i've been averaging lately.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have none. I'm missing school to do a project that was due today.... :/
And I really should be working on it now..

Anyways, I really need to get some of that self-discipline stuff. It's easier for me to be disciplined when spring break isn't a week away, or if I'm exceptionally busy and forced to be disciplined.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Blarf. This is what I think. Self discipline is necessary when it truly matters, otherwise it's pointless. Discipline is so emphasized because people think laziness means you aren't disciplined. I disagree though. You can have people who care too much and are so steadfast about dumb things that don't make sense. Discipline can also just mean forcing yourself to do things you don't want to do but have to. I really think getting by is ok enough. At least you're disciplined enough to accomplish the minimum requirements.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
I think its a good thing to have, but a hard thing to practice. I wish I had a good amount of it, so I could actually get things done!

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Blarf. This is what I think. Self discipline is necessary when it truly matters, otherwise it's pointless. Discipline is so emphasized because people think laziness means you aren't disciplined. I disagree though. You can have people who care too much and are so steadfast about dumb things that don't make sense. Discipline can also just mean forcing yourself to do things you don't want to do but have to. I really think getting by is ok enough. At least you're disciplined enough to accomplish the minimum requirements.

I think you're right, but what I think complicates the entire matter is that different people find different things to be necessary. So what usually happens in reality is people feel a lot of frustration with each other because they have different needs.

This happens all of the time with SJs and NPs, where Si and Ne are fighting against each other. Si will find certain things to be necessary, and NPs will find other things to be necessary. So neither one fulfills the others needs, and they're both left wanting more.

Which is why, like with so many of these topics, a balance is the best. Knowing when to buckle down and take care of something, and when to let things go, is something that all people should strive toward learning.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Like all things in life, self-discipline is good in moderation. Taken to an extreme, it is nothing but rigidity and there's nothing worse than a stick up one's ass.

Unless you enjoy that kind of thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts