Personality Cafe banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Self Employment for the Myers Briggs Types: The Idealists – The Great Office Escape

Self Employment for the Myers Briggs Types: The Idealists
Written by Mike on March 4, 2010 — 12 Comments

Note: If you don’t know your Myers Briggs Type, click here for a free, quick test to find out.

More than the other temperaments, Idealists are likely to want a career which makes them feel that they are giving back to the world. They also desperately seek meaning in their professional lives, which isn’t always easy to find in the 9-to-5 world of pushy managers, schedules, rules, and number crunching.

This is why so many NFs are drawn to self-employment. They often see it as a means of self-expression and seek to make their careers an extension of who they are. Many artists, entertainers, performers, and writers are NF Idealists, and many more own successful and interesting businesses. Because they are so good with people NFs make wonderful salespeople, though they sometimes lack the necessary “abilty to lie” to really make the big bucks in such a profession.

An NF will struggle in a traditional job unless they see it as meaningful and worthwhile. Often they will get caught up in crusades against “the bad guys” like big corporations, big business and other authority figures. Sometimes this can be carried a bit far, as the NF will lose sight of the facts in exchange for the big-picture ideal of a perfect world. However, this visionary trait will serve them well if they want to start a people-oriented business that will help change the world.

ENFP – The Champion

Champion of the cause, the ENFP is passionate, effervescent and charming. Whatever undertaking they choose, you can be sure they will do it with their whole heart. This becomes a problem when the ENFP changes his or her mind. Again and again. Yes, focus can sometimes be difficult for this type. But if they can master the art of concentration and hold on to a business idea long enough to get it moving and at least bear some fruit, no type will have more business success than the ENFP.

How ENFP can flee the rat race

As a bona fide “idea person”, you need to learn to balance your ideas with practicality. It’s wonderful to have so many passions, but passion is empty without some kind of application. Your idea is no better than a discarded light bulb without action. To escape your 9-to-5 pick an idea that you think really has potential, pick a time period and tell yourself that no matter what, you are going to focus on your idea, and nothing else! You have all the tools necessary. What are you waiting for?

Make a list of all your great business ideas
After giving them some careful thought, pick the best one
Get to work on your idea, working at night if you need to maintain a day job while doing so
Consider hiring the help of an ISTJ or ISFJ to help you balance your budget and manage the details of your business
Work with an accountant if you can
Once the business has taken off and seems to be doing well, outsource where necessary and start another! But learn to focus on your current business until it is doing well first

I have yet to meet an ENFP who is happy in the rat race. This type will be miserable working in a stuffy office. They need to get out, to breathe fresh air, and to work with interesting and other fun-loving people. Fortunately, ENFPs can be among the best at starting their own businesses, as they are full of ideas.

Areas of Self-Employment for ENFP

Travel and Vacation Packages
Writing
Entertainment/Nightlife
Counseling and Coaching
Small Business Coaching
Event Planning

Reactions: Rainbow Catfactory

·
Registered
ENFP-A - 2w3 - JEEP
6,240 Posts
You left off fields of science in research. Where did you find that list? 0.o There could be journalism, diagnostic fields, and detective. We are equipped to merge broad interests as talented, energetic and future-minded individuals. A design firm or advertising would also be a good fit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think that an ENFP could be great as a co-founder. Many start-ups have two founders because there is simply so much work involved.

What type do you think would be best matched as co-founder to an ENFP ... ?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think that an ENFP could be great as a co-founder. Many start-ups have two founders because there is simply so much work involved.
What type do you think would be best matched as co-founder to an ENFP ... ?
INTJ. :D I work so great with INTJs...it blows my mind. A real life example of an ENFP INTJ partnership would be Cinevore, an indie film company started up by the INTJ ENFP couple Matt Conant & Stephanie Yuhas.
Stephanie and Matt's Philadelphia Geek Wedding - When Geeks Wed
Cinevore Studios | Weird & Nerdy comedy, sci-fi, gamer-genre content. Nerd vs. Geek, OverAnalyzers, Living in 8-Bits, and Victorian Cut-out Theatre.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would love to start my own makeup company or do something in marketing. I want to work in an environment that has great teamwork and a supportive yet fun atmosphere. I previously wanted to attend law school and I cannot be more grateful that I dropped that idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts