Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am wondering if anyone has been successful with self hypnosis can share their experience as well as explain how they achieved this.
Is it much like meditation?
What was your purpose?
What did you learn or achieve?

For anyone who has been hypnotized by someone, also please share your experience.

I have seen people hypnotized instantly, yet, I can't seem to go into that state of mind either by voice tapes or by myself. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. My conscious awareness seems to be too much of an interference. Even if I feel myself slipping into a dream-like state, my conscious mind then gets excited, or scared, and snaps me out of it right away. Or something.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OUT THERE!!! *echoes* THERE THERe THEre THere There there ther the th t...

Reactions: Bago

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
This is the best, down to earth, explanation of hypnosis that I've come across...

Is it much like meditation?
It's basically IME going into a very relaxed, concentrated state and directing your words and images towards a desired goal or state (motivation, gratitude, relaxation, confidence, etc).

What was your purpose?
What did you learn or achieve?
Regarding self hypnosis. I successfully did it to myself only a few minutes a day for 2 weeks before I had to fly. I found myself getting nervous as the time approached and spent a few minutes in quiet, repeating to myself "I'm gonna be fine. Flying is safe." etc. Or something along those lines. It was very crude self hypnosis but it worked, and the repetition 'kicked in' when I was on the plane.

Like the dude in the vid I linked said;

We think in words and images, so if we change our habitual words and images, we change our states and behavior.

The past few months I've been interested in how self-talk and our imagination affect me/us. For me I find it challenging to control my imagination, so I focus on self-talk - (you might be the opposite, or be fine using both). So my only tip for self hypnosis in regards to self talk is to focus on tone as well as content. ie. use a tone that elicits a sentiment of compassion, confidence, appreciation, etc.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
For anyone who has been hypnotized by someone, also please share your experience. .
Forgot to add I've been hypnotized about a decade ago. IME it's really not like the MKULTRA mind control experience that is found in novels and movies, it's basically guided meditation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got hypnotized once. Ever since then I've had a few trigger words that have stuck with me.
Maybe you're just trying so hard to hypnotize yourself, you can't do it. What I mean by that is you're so stressed about being able to prove it possible or alert, trying to notice the effects, that you're too on edge for it to occur :)
Hopefully this helped!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forgot to add I've been hypnotized about a decade ago. IME it's really not like the MKULTRA mind control experience that is found in novels and movies, it's basically guided meditation.
So you're aware that you're hypnotized the whole time? What about people who fall asleep on command and whatnot? Here is a cool video I've found that seems a lot like mind control. I wonder if these people are just playing along...

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
So you're aware that you're hypnotized the whole time? What about people who fall asleep on command and whatnot? Here is a cool video I've found that seems a lot like mind control. I wonder if these people are just playing along...
Yeah I was aware the whole time. Some people find that the main thing they remember is deep relaxation and the suggestions were like a 'song in the background'. It only works if you want what they are suggesting on some meaningful level.

I was talking to the hypnotherapist beforehand about this alot, and he basically said that stage hypnotists choose exhibitionists and people who are highly suggestible, which basically ensures they will be open to suggestions of showing off and entertaining people. You won't go against your core ethics simply due to being hypnotized.

But you can create 'anchors', which mean forming a link between specific words/gestures and a desire or inclination (like touching a persons forehead and saying sleep). )Advertisers know that, and are experts at using it - logos often trigger an emotional response or memory created in to advertising campaigns).

'Mind control' like found in cults, or reportedly in the military/used on child soldiers, requires a systematic and regimented method of creating anchors, directing a persons mental words and images, and creating beliefs. Having experiences with cults, and doing research into 'mind control' also leads me to believe that the explanation given by my hypnotherapist about stage hypnotherapy is true.

This is how real mind control is done, and even then people still break out from under it's spell or aren't susceptible to it in the first place.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hypnosis is one of the technical which got the medical proven to provide medical and therapeutic benefits, most notably in the reduction of pain and anxiety. Self-hypnosis is a naturally occurring state of mind which can be defined as a heightened state of focused concentration. It is similar to meditation, but results in a better you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts