Personality Cafe banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering how other infps see themselves?

as a teenage girl I think i'm reasonably attractive (minus the giant zit on my lip...) and
depending on my mood, sometimes fat sometimes curvy
I think I'm intelligent and things come to me fairly easily and I have some musical ability, and I hula hoop pretty damn well
but
I'm not exactly a 10 [out of 10, looks] and i'm far from perfect so how the fuck will I ever find someone who'll love me? there are so many girls out there who are so much more attractive than me so why would anyone go for me, except for deranged indians? (I'm not racist, there is a story behind that lol)
and i'm never gonna make it on my voice or piano playing cause compared to some people, I'm frankly shit.

so how do you guys see yourselves?

btw this is not a pityfest thread, \i'm not asking people to compliment me I'm just curious :D

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Remember it's not all about looks. I'm sure if you're reasonably attractive with an admirable personality to back it up your bound to find someone who loves you =] There is no such thing as perfection.

I see myself as bafflingly weird...and I'm rather proud of it =]

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Through my teens I spent sooo many hours giving a damn about how I looked. And worrying about it had a terrible effect on my self-esteem.

As I age, I've grown to realize that I am what I am. I've also realized that feelings of 'beauty' or 'ugliness' are just self reflections people use for validation.

So yeah, like anybody I have days where I feel more self conscious than usual, but more often than not I remind myself that I'm not beautiful or ugly but me. It's always a work in progress.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Well, I've struggled with the whole self-image thing for a while. I think it's a daily struggle, but the best things you can do are 1. Stop thinking about what other people are thinking about you. It just wastes your time and if you think you're ugly or unattractive, chances are, you'll probably act unattractive and those thoughts will keep you from being who you really are. 2. Start thinking positively! I know affirmations sound cheesy, but I've found they work for me. As soon as you wake up in the morning, while you're getting ready, keep saying to yourself, "I am beautiful." "I am attractive." "I am successful." "I am going to have a great day." And just keep repeating these kinds of things over and over in your head. The more you say something to yourself, the more you will believe it. 3. Realize that everyone, EVERYONE has flaws that they are self-conscious about. No one is perfect. Everyone is insecure about something. View people through this lens and your confidence will grow. Those are my tips. I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I'm just gonna say I don't have the highest self-confidence... It's something I have to work on now that I'm going to college and will be expected to do something good out of my education. :p

·
Registered
248 Posts
Brian Johnson from The Breakfast Club had it right when he told Vernon "you see us as you want to see us". It's the truth. Everyone else will see you as they want to see you and you have no effect on it. To some people I am very physically attractive. To some, I'm hideous. To some I'm fat and to some I'm fit or even skinny. To some I'm apparently high-maintenance and to some I'm incredibly easy-going and require no maintenance. Some people who *really* know me see me as a very loving, caring, empathetic person who would do anything for you if you just ask. Others think I'm needy, bossy, and angry. Some know me to be very intelligent while others see me as a ditz.

I know who I am and I'm willing to accept and embrace that more and more everyday. I realize that I *am* a good person, on the whole. But, that I'm entitled to be angry sometimes, because it's human nature to get angry. And I'm entitled to take care of myself, which is something I rarely do so as not to be selfish. I'm taking control of my life to stop letting others form my opinion of myself and do whatever I feel I need to/should do without regard for what other people want me to do. As long as I'm taking care of my husband, our child, and myself and not hurting anyone else, that's really all that matters. I know if I'm intelligent or not. I know if I'm high-maintenance or not. I know me better than anyone else, so their opinions are merely that - opinions.

So, take care of yourself from the inside out. Don't worry about what others think of you. If they think you're unattractive, then that's what they think and it doesn't matter. If they think you're beautiful, then they think you're beautiful. You don't need that to BE beautiful. I'm willing to bet that you are both on the inside and the outside. If you do something that you feel is wrong and/or hurtful, don't do it again. If you do something against the grain but that was a good thing to do morally, then you held your ground and did the right thing despite everyone else. Pat yourself on the back. You only need to worry about your own feelings about yourself, because you are your best moral barometer.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
In this life, there will always be people who are smarter than you, more athletic than you, better looking than you and have more money than you. You just have to be happy with who you are and not worry about how you stack up against someone else.

·
Registered
30 Posts
In this life, there will always be people who are smarter than you, more athletic than you, better looking than you and have more money than you. You just have to be happy with who you are and not worry about how you stack up against someone else.
Orion nailed it. Stop worrying about what other people think of you. Focus on loving and respecting yourself and you will naturally gravitate toward someone who will value who you are.

HUGS! :)

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
as a teenage girl I think i'm reasonably attractive
Wait, I thought you were a chinese man! No? :tongue:

I have always had a battle with my self-image. By that, I mean there are times I rate myself higher than I most likely am, and times where I rate myself lower. The two sides fight, but the middle ground is getting higher and higher over the years, so even the bad side is not as bad as it once was.

I see myself as talented, but a bit aimless. I see myself as decent looking, but I could work out a bit more and have more defined muscles. There are some things I dislike about myself, but most people have things like that. I have major insecurities that I am rather aware of at this point in life, so I am not often caught off guard. I know I am intelligent, and I get the sense that most people I know like me. However, I often find myself alone when I feel a need for people to be around.

I have conflicting views of myself, but I would say that it is mostly positive, and improving over time.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,344 Posts
I've always liked myself and figured it was their loss to anyone who didn't like me. I'm really a strange combination of confident, vain, insecure, and objective.

For starters there's this disconnect between how I mentally see myself (how I feel I am), and the current physical conditions of my existance here on earth. Personally I see myself, my inner true self, pretty much as a fairy/elf/wood-nymph: slender, lithe, magical, long flowing hair, transparent wings, and not very human looking. I suppose I look pretty close to that as far as the confines of human genetics go, but I certainly don't look my ideal self. On the other hand, I do think I'm pretty. I have my moments of beautifull and my moments of ugly, like anyone I think. I appreciate the good, and love myself in spite of the bad. I've certainly felt undesireable though, believe me. No decent guys ever showed interest in me, only ones who seemed pathetic or gross...... so that in itself was a disconnect between what I believed about myself (I'm fairly pretty) and the outside feedback (you're in a class with hygenically challanged and the extreemly socially awkward). I knew I wasn't like that, but it still got to be depressing that no one decent liked me.

On a more immaterial level I am loving, joyfull, and creative. I'm kind, sweet, not-pushy, immaginative, loyal, deep, curious, wise, ....well pretty much many attributes that I value. Yes, I like myself.

However, I know I still have room to grow, I know I'm not always as kind and generous or whatever else I may wish to be. But I don't beat myself up over it (most of the time anyways). On the one hand I think I'm great, and at the same time I know I'm not perfect, or even as amazing as many other people in the world. That's fine. I'm content with who I am, and just want to keep growing.

I know I'm a good friend, even if most people never show enough interest in knowing me to ever find out. I don't expect people to be drawn to me, don't expect them to find me interesting, but that's ok. I don't want to know a ton of people anyways.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i am years and years older than a teen but I still have days where I look in the mirror and go eewwwwww or days where I go hey..hey. appreciate yourself from within,you will begin to let go of worrying about what others think.

aelthwyn....i am so like you. freeing to feel this way i must say :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts