Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
are there any other self preservation 7s here on this forum? how do you feel different from So dom 7s and Sx dom 7s?
I'm a type 7w6 sp/sx, ENTP.

How I feel different? Well, I don't relate to the super extroverted descriptions of 7s. The best article I could find on self preservation 7s is in the below link.

Enneagram Central - Subtype Seven Self Preservation

This was my life in one page...(except the "cheap" part)

I remain home a lot because I'm afraid that things will turn out badly if I go with my friends. It's a strange fear I have. I'd rather have long conversations discussing absolutely anything over coffee to going out and shopping or sight-seeing or anything of the sort. I want to change that, but I'm afraid that I'll be disappointed and I don't to be disappointed. This rather reserved nature of mine resulted in me testing as a 5w6 for about 6 years and I thought I was INTP until recently. I have a lot of 5-ish tendencies even though I'm sure that I'm 7. I need people, but I'm scared of them. I'm scared of being hurt and I avoid boredom like the plague.

What about you?

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I'm a 7w8 sp/sx. I agree with @Dante I'm not super-extroverted.

Reactions: zallla

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm a type 7w6 sp/sx, ENTP.

How I feel different? Well, I don't relate to the super extroverted descriptions of 7s. The best article I could find on self preservation 7s is in the below link.

This was my life in one page...(except the "cheap" part)

I remain home a lot because I'm afraid that things will turn out badly if I go with my friends. It's a strange fear I have. I'd rather have long conversations discussing absolutely anything over coffee to going out and shopping or sight-seeing or anything of the sort. I want to change that, but I'm afraid that I'll be disappointed and I don't to be disappointed. This rather reserved nature of mine resulted in me testing as a 5w6 for about 6 years and I thought I was INTP until recently. I have a lot of 5-ish tendencies even though I'm sure that I'm 7. I need people, but I'm scared of them. I'm scared of being hurt and I avoid boredom like the plague.

What about you?
a lot like you except for the fearing something will go wrong, but I'm also a fan of the description in that link. I enjoy
- long conversations
- tea
- pampering myself
- going to the spa
- addictions that are good for me. I don't relate to the 7 description of easily becoming addicted to harmful activities, but I have realized that I do get addicted to things that are good for me. for instance, I am addicted to tea, intellectual conversation and anything that will make me feel better/improve my health
- I still have that natural "what could go wrong?" view of a 7, though age and experience have tempered it significantly. I'm actually learning that short term, pessimism is a very good thing while still remaining optimistic long term.

@jamiebond
same here, that's one reason it took me a while to except that i was a 7 (and ENFP for that matter, but introverted ENFPs are more the norm I think)

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
@Swordsman of Mana

Like you, I had a hard time believing that I was ENTP. For a long time I tested as INTP and enneatype 5 further supported that I may be I instead of E...

However, now that I know that 7 sp/sx can be very introverted, I can completely understand why I tested as 5 and as INTP while I'm neither.

·
Banned
1,526 Posts
The best article I could find on self preservation 7s is in the below link.

This sounds a lot like my husband, who I've had an absurdly hard time typing. I've always gotten a 7 vibe from him but he's not super-extroverted (although way more than me) and he's not scattered in his interests, he's been into the same things his whole life, which made me consider other types, but none ever really fit. He's got his crew of friends who share his interests and that's what they talk about, what they do. He loves to have a good time and enjoy life- planning his fun, that's what he does.

Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
This sounds a lot like my husband, who I've had an absurdly hard time typing. I've always gotten a 7 vibe from him but he's not super-extroverted (although way more than me) and he's not scattered in his interests, he's been into the same things his whole life, which made me consider other types, but none ever really fit. He's got his crew of friends who share his interests and that's what they talk about, what they do. He loves to have a good time and enjoy life- planning his fun, that's what he does.

Thanks for the link.
You're welcome...

Reactions: sodden

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
7w6 sp/sx here... and I can definitely agree with @Dante and @jamiebond about feeling like I'm not very extroverted. However, I think what it probably comes down to is that our So is last on the list, thus it is the weakest/least developed... giving us a feeling of introversion. So I guess that's how I feel I'm different from So-dom.

As far as feeling different goes, compared to the Sx-dom, I enjoy one-on-one connections and yearn to have them, but I don't find myself getting bored of them easily/need things to be exciting all the time (this is something mentioned in the book The Wisdom of the Enneagram).

Regarding the article, I didn't really relate to the excerpt @Dante mentioned, but this quote fit me perfectly:
Some Self-preservation Sevens, while being light-hearted, can also be very tight with money - a cheap streak. Good times that don't cost much are highly desirable. These freebies can nicely be reframed as appreciation of nature or music or poetry -- anything as long as the package doesn't cost much money.
Also, I really like enjoying my surroundings, and using all my awesome stuff!

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OMG this description struck home with me!

The Self-Preservation Instinct in the Seven
"Getting Mine" (Ichazo's "Defenders") In the average range, Self-Preservation Sevens are determined, energetic people, driven to make sure that their basic needs and comforts will always be met. Their attitudes and concerns tend to emphasize the practical and the material. (In the immortal words of Scarlett O'Hara, "As God is my witness, I will never go hungry again!") They tend to be ambitious and work hard to insure that options will remain open to them.

Self-Preservation Sevens know that they cannot keep track of every piece of information they may need, so they often cultivate a group of friends and "advisors" who share enthusiasms and interests with them. These people keep the Seven informed of new possibilities and resources, and provide the stimulation and social interaction that Sevens enjoy. Self-Preservation Sevens enjoy learning about others' plans and projects as well as regaling others with their own. This is not the same as the bonding with others found in some Sixes, however. The feeling is looser—Self-Preservation Sevens are not interested in developing dependencies on others or in having others depend excessively on them. They want to be able to come and go as they choose and are impatient with restrictions—group participation must feel voluntary, not obligatory.

Less healthy Self-Preservation Sevens can feel impatient and panicky when their needs are not quickly met. They often experience anxieties about the loss of comforts or of material support, and easily feel deprived. (Fears about going hungry are not uncommon.) They can be extremely demanding and cranky when frustrated, expecting others to meet their needs as soon as they are expressed—or even sooner.

In the unhealthy range, Self-Preservation Sevens can be extremely thoughtless and relentless in pursuit of security needs. They aggressively go after whatever they believe will make them feel more secure or stave off their anxiety, and brook no interference. Reckless with their finances and resources, spending out of control or gambling, they can be even more profligate with their own health and inner resources. They push themselves beyond reasonable limits, eating, drinking, and indulging themselves to excess.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm a sp/sx 7w8. So, my dear self-pres Sevens, what are you like? How much do you relate to the social butterfly, life-of-the-party 7 stereotype? Do you like/need being alone? Also, how concerned with material/physical resources do you tend to be? Did you think you were something else, like 4 or 5? What's your tritype (if you know)?

P.S.: Hugh Hefner is a sp/sx 7w8, isn't he? Huh. The guy is an utter creep. I don't want to be like him :p

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I'm a 7w6 3w2 9w8 sp/sx — I don't know how particularly well I fit into the social butterfly thing. I mean, I can be social, and I can be good at it, but I'm not a huge fan of big parties/crowds, and I definitely enjoy being alone from time to time — or at least alone in person (could be chatting online with someone or playing a MMO). However, I am definitely the "life of the party" sort, in that, I tend to liven up any place where I go and my energy seems to pump people up (even when I'm not feeling particularly energized) and I make people laugh (or I laugh) quite often.

I'm fairly concerned with material/physical stuff, but I've been getting better at letting go of things. I think this is probably directly related to the level of health someone has (and the more unhealthy one becomes, the more likely they are to be focused on these things — though sometimes unhealthiness will lead to a complete disregard for this stuff). It is important to me that I know I will be comfortable (physically) and mentally (by knowing there will be enough) in order for me to want to do certain things. I find that I tend to horde things that I don't want to run out of, and also will set something aside that only I know about as a back up/reserve. I usually notice if a room is too hot or too cold when I first walk into it, and I almost always look for surfaces to sit on (even if I don't currently need to sit, just in case). I also REALLY love the novelty of new gadgets, especially ones that make my life easier or make it easier for me to keep with routines, cause I need all the help I can get.

Feel free to ask me more questions if you want more info, and also check out this page: Socionics - the16types.info - Instinctual Stackings it's one of the best resources for Instinctual Subtypes that I've come across.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Thank you! It's really helpful.

Oh, and some more questions, if you don't mind: was your instinctual stacking obvious to you? How did you decide on sx being second?

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Well, initially I had a hard time determining it, and I actually thought I was Sx/So for a while because I assumed my lack of attention to "body image"/exercising and stuff like that (and because the descriptions I read were all over the place) meant I probably wasn't an Sp. But, once I was able to track down both general descriptions of each dominant type, as well as descriptions of the pairings, AND specific manifestations of the pairings for a 7, I was able to pinpoint it. At one point I had a hard time choosing between the Sp/Sx and Sx/Sp, but then I showed my mom the two descriptions and she was surprised I wasn't sure between the two, but said she definitely thinks I'm Sp/Sx.

I have the book Enneagram Explorations and I think the descriptions in there REALLY helped me realize I'm an Sp/Sx. I know I'm Sx and not So because I prefer one-on-one relationships, and I crave intensity within those relationships. Also, I know I read somewhere that your second subtype tends to be the most stable/developed, and that feels reasonably accurate for me — but whether or not it's true, reading the descriptions for So blind spot definitely fit me better than the Sp or Sx blind spot. I also know that I get REALLY attached to people I have a strong connection with.

So blind spot — finds it hard to concern self with another’s agenda, dismissive. They may feel that connecting socially will cost them something and consider interactions to be draining. Would rather act as a lone force, feeling that they don't need others and others don't need them. Fear of being emotionally crippled, being unable to connect with people, self-conscious of being socially ungracious. It’s hard to take in the gifts and generosity of others. One doesn’t let oneself try to interact or find out. Projected fear - if I ignore others, they will ignore me. There’s an expectation of humiliation. A desire not to impose self on people in fear of not being wanted or being klutzy.
Yeah, that's definitely me. However, I can concern myself with other's agenda if they are in my trusted inner circle and I have a connection with them. I might be bored easily, but I know that sometimes other people need to talk/vent so I am able to be at least semi-attentive.

Also, here are some pieces of the Sp/Sx description that really resonate with me:
  • Sp coping methods (unhealthy) — over-stocking, overbuying, overeating, undersleeping, overindulging in aesthetics or comfort foods, mistreatment of comfort and security as is skewed by the secondary instinct
  • Sx coping methods (unhealthy) - scattered attention, lack of focus, sexual promiscuity, intensely avoiding intense experiences and connections with a fearful and dysfunctional attitude toward sex, intimacy, and other intense "completing" experiences, as is skewed by the secondary instinct
  • Sp primary stresses — money, sustenance (how they will get food, when it will come, if they will like it, if it fits their diet) <--- I don't even have to think about these stresses, they are just woven into the fabric of me. Additionally, I've been overweight pretty much all of my life, and food has always been a source of delight and stress for me, and money is a close runner up with the same dynamic.
  • Sx primary stresses — lack of intense mental or emotional stimulation, lack of an intense connection or experience <--- this is definitely me, it's something I think about often.
  • So primary stresses (for comparison) — being able to adjust to others and be acceptable; others' reactions to them, whether they are being accepted or not; may include intimacy, which is tended to be avoided. <--- While I have recognized this kind of stress on occasion, this is something that I RARELY worry about.
  • (Sp) This subtype will "sacrifice for self" to insure survival. Rather than looking to the group or a mate to "solve problems," these types tend to "look inward" based upon an inherent recognition that "I'm on my own" and "I have to take care of myself."
  • (Sp) In relationships, self-pres dominants focus on nesting, domesticity, comfort, building a cozy home with someone or they may fantasize about such things.
  • (Sx) One can have the sexual instinct operating in a group of friends—being in the heat, stimulated, energized, engaged. In relationships, there is a desire for endless engagement and fascination. <--- I crave this, but I only like
  • (Sx) It’s aggressive, competitive, single-minded, "all-or-nothing". Use of this energy is intensely fiery and affirmative, go-get-it approach, a life-and-death matter e.g. salmon swimming upstream to mate and die. <--- I can kinda relate to this, but the Sp is described as having strong energy, but grounded... and I feel that fits me better. I HATE the "all or nothing" attitude about things, and don't get riled up easily (unless it's about something I am passionate, yay 7!)

Something I want to point out is that a lot of these are the average to unhealthy traits. I prefer to focus on those, because it's a LOT easier to agree with positive traits than to admit your negative ones. However, it has been suggested that focusing on the negative aspects of a type will make yours easier to find. For me, my go-to coping mechanism is DEFINITELY Sp, but I know that I also do much of what the Sx does, just, it is more of a "back up" or less common behavior. I can also relate to the So coping to some degree, but mostly only when I was younger or when I've been in a really bad depression.

Ok, and just a note, the italicized text in the list fits perfectly for my Sp/Sx for me. Because there are times when I will give up what I want/need for the sake of the relationship. I won't necessarily be resentful (though I might), but I don't like doing it and usually I'll be really hesitant to agree to something that takes away my comfort/feeling of security. I think being a 7w6 Sp has been the reason why I've considered the idea that I'm a 6. I can be very neurotic and obsessed/worried about security (specifically the locking of doors — home and car), but I'm reasonably good about avoiding the negative feelings and pushing it out of my mind (more 7-ness).

Ok, this was extremely long, so I hope I didn't jump around too much. Sometimes I write like I think and it isn't as organized as it could be. Keep the questions coming, I love answering =]

Edit: I started reading more on that website, and I found something that is definitely me, and the other stackings' version doesn't work for me, so I think this might be something worth considering:

Sp/Sx Mindset: "I can have merging/intensity without having to leave my orderly & pleasing lifestyle." (imagination, safe people and relationships, when the safety of these are challenged they withdraw)
So, you might want to check out the other stackings' "mindset" and see which one resonates with you the most.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
@possiBri, thank you. Don't worry about the length, I love reading ;)

The more I read, the more I can relate to sx/sp rather than sp/sx. I mean, at first I thought that the self-pres instinct is the dominant one, because I need my time alone, but I tend not to care about security, money, food and the like. However, this could be because I never had to worry about these things; I don't think about money because I always had enough, esp. when growing up.

However, I can concern myself with other's agenda if they are in my trusted inner circle and I have a connection with them. I might be bored easily, but I know that sometimes other people need to talk/vent so I am able to be at least semi-attentive.
I can say the same thing and the So blind spot description is definitely about me :)

I can relate to Sp because I tend to take care of myself without relying on others, even my loved ones, and I'm concerned about the aesthetics of my surroundings. Also, when I was very unhealthy, I used to sleep way too much. I can relate to Sx because I need intensity, wide-ranging experiences and excitement and under stress I lose focus.

OTOH, I can't relate to Sp because I'm not overly concerned with material comfort, I tend to neglect my physical needs (although this might be a part of an unhealthy coping method?) and I don't hoard things. I can't relate to Sx because I don't focus on relationships (in fact, I feel comfortable being single) and I'm definitely not single-minded.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
possiBri, thank you. Don't worry about the length, I love reading ;)

The more I read, the more I can relate to sx/sp rather than sp/sx. I mean, at first I thought that the self-pres instinct is the dominant one, because I need my time alone, but I tend not to care about security, money, food and the like. However, this could be because I never had to worry about these things; I don't think about money because I always had enough, esp. when growing up.

I can say the same thing and the So blind spot description is definitely about me :)

I can relate to Sp because I tend to take care of myself without relying on others, even my loved ones, and I'm concerned about the aesthetics of my surroundings. Also, when I was very unhealthy, I used to sleep way too much. I can relate to Sx because I need intensity, wide-ranging experiences and excitement and under stress I lose focus.

OTOH, I can't relate to Sp because I'm not overly concerned with material comfort, I tend to neglect my physical needs (although this might be a part of an unhealthy coping method?) and I don't hoard things. I can't relate to Sx because I don't focus on relationships (in fact, I feel comfortable being single) and I'm definitely not single-minded.
Hmmm it could just be that you are reasonably healthy and balanced, so neither seem to be dominant. How did you feel about the Sp/Sx mindset vs. the Sx/Sp mindset?

Sx/Sp Mindset: "If I can make (us) have an orderly & pleasing lifestyle, I can keep up and escalate all this merging/intensity."

Sp/Sx Mindset: "I can have merging/intensity without having to leave my orderly & pleasing lifestyle." (imagination, safe people and relationships, when the safety of these are challenged they withdraw)

I kinda feel like you lean more towards Sp, but that is with the very limited info you've mentioned. I'm totally down to help you pinpoint your stacking, so if you want, just write a bit more about yourself — your general preferences/routines (and your motivation/reason for them) — and we'll figure it out! =]

Reactions: aconite

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Hmmm it could just be that you are reasonably healthy and balanced, so neither seem to be dominant.
I'd like to think so.

How did you feel about the Sp/Sx mindset vs. the Sx/Sp mindset?

Sx/Sp Mindset: "If I can make (us) have an orderly & pleasing lifestyle, I can keep up and escalate all this merging/intensity."

I kind of lean more towards sp/sx, but sx/sp also makes sense to me.

I kinda feel like you lean more towards Sp, but that is with the very limited info you've mentioned. I'm totally down to help you pinpoint your stacking, so if you want, just write a bit more about yourself — your general preferences/routines (and your motivation/reason for them) — and we'll figure it out! =]
Thank you!

Since you wrote earlier that focusing on the unhealthy coping strategies would help, well, I have plenty of experience with being unhealthy. I spent 4-5 years being clinically depressed, and I'm still a little bit wary of the big black hole of despair. I couldn't fall asleep at night, and when I finally did, I slept for too long. It was very weird, because I could fall asleep at 11 a.m. and wake up at midnight. I had moments when (geez, what a lovely person I was) I tried to maintain close relationships with people, but got bored with them; for example, I talked to a very attractive and funny girl, we agreed to meet later, but when the time came, I didn't appear at all because I didn't feel like going outside. At the same time I used to date a guy, I knew he was faithful to me and I wasn't faithful to him at all. Generally, I was afraid of people, afraid of myself, and spent time either sleeping or on the internet, usually doing something mindless, like playing uncomplicated games or reading news without paying much attention to the context. I was self-conscious to the point of obsession, moody and critical.
It got a little better when I started anti-depressants, I had a little bit more energy, but absolutely no creativity. I needed to feel inspired, though; I didn't feel alive without a constant flux of new ideas.

All these things are really disturbing in introspection, aren't they. I rarely think about past, especially painful past, and although my previous actions don't make sense to me now, they seemed perfectly normal back then.

Right now I'm much healthier and more balanced. Well, I like new things, but they don't need to include people; actually, I don't like groups very much and prefer being alone or with my close friends. I despise routine and above all, my main concerns are being mentally active and open-minded. I find it a bit hard to think about material possessions... for example, my sister asked what did I want for birthday and I had no idea, because all the things I wanted weren't the ones that could be bought. And while I'm comfortable being single and not seeking a partner, I wouldn't mind falling in love.

Thank you for reading :)

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Since you wrote earlier that focusing on the unhealthy coping strategies would help, well, I have plenty of experience with being unhealthy. I spent 4-5 years being clinically depressed, and I'm still a little bit wary of the big black hole of despair. I couldn't fall asleep at night, and when I finally did, I slept for too long. It was very weird, because I could fall asleep at 11 a.m. and wake up at midnight. I had moments when (geez, what a lovely person I was) I tried to maintain close relationships with people, but got bored with them; for example, I talked to a very attractive and funny girl, we agreed to meet later, but when the time came, I didn't appear at all because I didn't feel like going outside. At the same time I used to date a guy, I knew he was faithful to me and I wasn't faithful to him at all. Generally, I was afraid of people, afraid of myself, and spent time either sleeping or on the internet, usually doing something mindless, like playing uncomplicated games or reading news without paying much attention to the context. I was self-conscious to the point of obsession, moody and critical.
It got a little better when I started anti-depressants, I had a little bit more energy, but absolutely no creativity. I needed to feel inspired, though; I didn't feel alive without a constant flux of new ideas.

All these things are really disturbing in introspection, aren't they. I rarely think about past, especially painful past, and although my previous actions don't make sense to me now, they seemed perfectly normal back then.

Right now I'm much healthier and more balanced. Well, I like new things, but they don't need to include people; actually, I don't like groups very much and prefer being alone or with my close friends. I despise routine and above all, my main concerns are being mentally active and open-minded. I find it a bit hard to think about material possessions... for example, my sister asked what did I want for birthday and I had no idea, because all the things I wanted weren't the ones that could be bought. And while I'm comfortable being single and not seeking a partner, I wouldn't mind falling in love.

Thank you for reading :)
First off, one of my favorite sayings: "The best things in life aren't things."

Second, I too can relate to both, but the Sp/Sx just fits a bit better — more consistent for me than the Sx/Sp. So, would you say that you're comfortable being single, as long as you have at least one or maybe two close friends? People you can have a satisfying mental connection with? I'd say that sounds pretty Sp/Sx to me. I also have issues when people ask me what I want for a gift. I don't know... do something fun with a friend? lol

It also sounds to me like your energy isn't as intense as an Sx/Sp would seem. I can relate to you about material possessions for the most part (though I do love a good bargain or buying a new gadget, I don't like discussing possessions or my shopping habits). However, I do fantasize about when I will have my own house — and how comfortable it will be. That having a significant other to share that with will be the optimal situation, and the sooner the better.

So yeah, you sound more Sp/Sx to me, but only you will really know for sure. I hope my personal preferences/experiences help give you an idea. Though, keep in mind my tritype and that I'm an ENTP, cause there is probably some bleeding between the different aspects of my personality, and it might be hard to attribute some traits specifically to my instinctual subtype. =]

Reactions: aconite

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
First off, one of my favorite sayings: "The best things in life aren't things."
I totally agree!

So, would you say that you're comfortable being single, as long as you have at least one or maybe two close friends? People you can have a satisfying mental connection with? I'd say that sounds pretty Sp/Sx to me.
Yes, I can say so. Although it could be because I have issues with commitment. The mere thought of being married, or having children... bleh. While I love the energy burst coming from falling in love, the initial part of a relationship, I had to realise that I did hurt people because of that. So, there is a half-conscious feeling that it's better to be single and independent than starting a relationship and ending it as soon as the enthusiasm fades.

However, I do fantasize about when I will have my own house; and how comfortable it will be. That having a significant other to share that with will be the optimal situation, and the sooner the better.
Heh. This is the part I can't relate to at all. I mean, when I were in relationship, as short as they were, my partners cared way more than me about such things.

Whoa. This made me realise that while my sp instinct is skewed, my sx instinct is even more fucked up than I'd thought.

So yeah, you sound more Sp/Sx to me, but only you will really know for sure. I hope my personal preferences/experiences help give you an idea. Though, keep in mind my tritype and that I'm an ENTP, cause there is probably some bleeding between the different aspects of my personality, and it might be hard to attribute some traits specifically to my instinctual subtype. =]
I'm either an ENTP or an INTP, and my tritype is 784 or 783 (or in case I'm not a Seven but a Five, 584 or 583). The ENTP Owner's Manual in your sig is adorable :)

Reactions: possiBri
1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.