Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Impossible!

Being a selfless individual is impossible.

Doing a selfless act is possible.

To my mind, even a selfless act is to feed a selfish personal need.

How do you, as an ENTP view selfless as defined: concerned more with the needs and wishes of others than with one's own

·
Registered
636 Posts
i agree with you. i see it as impossible. and even if it were possible, a completely selfless individual would be doing themselves a disfavor and probably not survive very long. i think some selfishness is healthy. it drives us to take care of ourselves. we owe ourselves that much. a lot of things arent bad in of themselves, its excess amounts of it is what makes it wrong.

Anyways, if people do things because they want to is it really self sacrifice? Seems contradictory to me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had a disscussion about altruism with a friend of mine a few days ago. He held the same position as you. Being selfless is impossible, because we still get something out (dopamine and all those others feel good neurotransmitters). We feel driven to do go good things because of the delicious chemical reward for doing them. In the end, it's about our selfish desire to feel good that renders "putting others before yourself" invalid.

I, however, fail to see why chemicals in our brain make us less caring human beings. So what if they make us feel good for giving that homeless guy a coat? Am I not suppose to feel nothing? Just be an unfeeling robot? These chemicals are the very thing that makes us caring and empathic towards each other. Without oxytocin I'm pretty sure humans would be a very different species or probably extincted.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I'm a mom and I can tell you that we certainly often put ourselves last. I suppose you could say a possible reward is feeling like my family is provided for and like I'm a "good mother" for doing that. But the personal cost outweighs those rewards in some respects.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Impossible!

Being a selfless individual is impossible.

Doing a selfless act is possible.

To my mind, even a selfless act is to feed a selfish personal need.

How do you, as an ENTP view selfless as defined: concerned more with the needs and wishes of others than with one's own

I don't necessarily believe in altruism. What I do believe in is the desire for helping others. Whether or not someone may call that selfishness is immaterial. One can still do good for another while gaining a benefit on some level. That doesn't make you a bad person. It makes you a person that likes seeing people do well.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I don't see selflessness as impossible.
I do, however, see complete selflessness as impossible though.

Such as going out of your way to do something you KNOW you don't want to do, but you do it for a friend because it'll make them happy. One could argue, however, that you're doing the thing to strengthen your relationship with that person though. That's up for debate.
I relate to that one a bit too much. Maybe an underdeveloped Fe on my part, lmao.

Whenever I hear people, especially around the holidays, say that they enjoy buying presents for other people, I always hate when someone tells them that they're so selfless for that. In my head, I'm just thinking, "shut the fuck up, you stupid cunt." I'll never say it. I just think it's funny that people would find buying something for someone else for their own enjoyment as "selfless."
Of course, it's better than selfishness, but it certainly isn't selflessness.

People have to be selfish every once in a while. I think we've just given the term "selfish" just a harsher meaning than it truly holds.
We do it everytime we feed ourselves. Or sleep. Or drink water. Or decide, "hey, maybe I shouldn't just shoot myself in the head today."
I honestly don't think we should spend so much time focusing on the definition of "selfless," when we need to spend more time working on redefining the word, "selfish."

Reactions: MissElle
1 - 6 of 6 Posts