Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if I am the only one who has an inner notion that you won't live much past a certain age.

Since I was in the high school, I have had this thing about age 30. I never believed I would live past it. I don't really know why, but it has been with me for all these years.

Back when it first appeared to me, I was bright eyed and bushy tailed, so it was quite contrary to my cheery outlook on life at the time. It was a very conflicting thing to feel. I never really knew what causes it.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has presented in a way I find odd. It doesnt come across as dreadful, but more like me knowing the ending of the movie before I watch it. It is more informational than emotional feeling, if that makes sense. And when it started, I was far from 30 so it wasnt like i was looking for it around every corner. It just feels like I know the end of the story. It is perplexing but feels legit.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
I've always thought I'm going to get hit by a car at some point. Not a scary feeling, just kind of inevitability.

Lol, it's very strange.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I had the feeling I wouldn't live past the age of 15, but I did. I also had a later age that I thought I surely wouldn't make it past, but I did! :) Like unico, I think it must be due to anxiety.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I've felt that way all my life until recently [the past couple of years]. I'm 23 now and always had this sense that I would die pretty young, maybe in my 30's. I didn't WANT to die young but I wasn't afraid of it either, it just seemed right, in a weird way.
Now I can say that I have no idea when I'll die.
I've never wanted to live to be really old. But I have two great grandmothers still alive, both 95 and they look/act about 75. It makes me think it's likely for me to live to be really old, and that kinda scares me.

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
Don't think i've ever had such an idea / fear.

I recall reading that at times Freud feared he'd die at a certain age. Think it was age 49, something liek that. Curious that a man who did so much to help people overcome their neuroses himself suffered from this one (or perhaps not, he was only human after all).

A friend of mine, with some other people, asked a ouija board at what age he would die. An answer (a particular age) was given. So he had this awareness with him for many years - but fortunately he is now past the supposed age of death.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Sounds more like an underlying feeling of inadequacy in life than a fear you will actually die at a certain age. If that's so maybe you have underlying feelings of depression or something which could eventually develop into it if things start to go wrong.

In high school I sort of had this feeling, it wasn't a fear I would die at a certain age just a feeling that I would never be able to live a normal life and I just seen myself dying young.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Ach! It's all such a lot of nonsense, honestly. I don't mean your feelings...they are what they are, but I think everyone has at times had a sense of foreboding or a bad feeling about things.......when you get to 31 you'll be fine, trust me!

In terms of life and death, there is nothing you can do but be a little fatalistic.......some people have terrible illnesses and live for years, other perfectly healthy people get run over by a bus....if your number is on it, there's nothing you can do about it, except enjoy the privilege of being here and making the most of the time. It's all any of us can do.

Reactions: Zech

·
Banned
77 Posts
I thought the same for 23. Now I'm 24. Had a bit of an epiphany I suppose though brought on by other things.

Don't believe in it. We all die. You never know quite when, and once you've thought about it, it doesn't really matter.

·
Banned
2,502 Posts
57 and since I was in my early years, like 9 or so years old. I have 2 more to go. We'll see if I'm right. Someone predicted what I have been through 7 years before it happened. She said she was psychic, and I believe it now. Others told me she had proven it to them. Sometimes, we make things happen that we are told will. Being 7 years before, I'd forgotten.

She did not say I would die at 57. I had that oddly pop into my head. Can't remember what the reason was or what triggered the notion.

·
Registered
INFJ 4w3
494 Posts
57 and since I was in my early years, like 9 or so years old. I have 2 more to go. We'll see if I'm right. Someone predicted what I have been through 7 years before it happened. She said she was psychic, and I believe it now. Others told me she had proven it to them. Sometimes, we make things happen that we are told will. Being 7 years before, I'd forgotten.

She did not say I would die at 57. I had that oddly pop into my head. Can't remember what the reason was or what triggered the notion.
Then spend your next 2 years fucking doing every thing in your heart man - maybe there's some great work in there. Make some irrational belief useful to you at the least, and hopefully reality, MANY years later, will make you laugh a chunk out of this ordeal.

The idea's born from you anyway, not the damn psychic. Even if I find myself in trouble during those times (which may occur without due surprise because of old age) I still wouldn't believe in the damn thing.

·
Banned
7,754 Posts
It may not be so true, but I believe you could possibly make it so - like a self fulfilling prophecy if you believe it too hard. Try to remind yourself that you actually "don't (and can't) know." Fate can change at any moment, too.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I can see my life pretty far into the future until about 60, and then I can't see beyond that. I also HOPE I won't live beyond that. Sometimes, I genuinely feel like I won't.

But I think this is because life starts to change and go downhill so dramatically after that age, that we can't imagine how it will be. I'm sure we all believe we'll die young when we're young but it's really just wishful thinking getting the better of us.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts