Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if there's a correlation between sensing types and not understanding the whole spectrum of sarcasm as much as intuitive types do. I always find that only sensing types always say they don't understand my humour or they can never tell when I'm being serious or joking. Or is this more of a thinking/feeling thing, though I don't see how this would correlate. It's only because I also notice feelers are more prone to misunderstanding sarcasm and taking offense.

·
Registered
IXFP 9w1 4w5 6w7 Pisces
955 Posts
Hmm... I doubt there's a correlation. I'm really sarcastic, and I'm a sensing/feeling type (ISFP).

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Hmm, I'm not sure. Sensors are common, and sarcasm is pretty common too, is it not? So it would be a bit strange if sensors didn't get it.

Also, it's possible to take offense even when you know the other person is joking. It really depends on what kind of joke it is, the context, etc.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Why would sensors be worse at detecting the presence of something than intuitives? I'm not sure there's any simple correlations to type.

The feeling difference is interesting though, as there is an inclination to pay attention to more of the, eh, flavor than to the content. The message (the sarcasm of it) could be lost by overfocusing on the previous feeling message of it, or the sarcasm could be understood but ignored for the overall feel of the message and one's personal reaction to components of it. Still it's more of perhaps a peculiar symptom of bad thinking than something that could be generalized to all Fs.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
11,428 Posts
l find NFs usually understand sarcasm and sometimes choose to ignore it, in favor of responding to the tone and emotional content.

l don't find that as much with a type like ISFP, actually.

Oh, and honestly l don't always find INTJ gets sarcasm. The Ni can be hit or miss and sometimes read too far into meaning.
ISTJ can be so dry that you might not even realize they got the sarcasm.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I guess Ne types find it easier to catch up to the sarcasm but doesn't mean Sensing types don't. Probably Si's would completely miss the whole joke. Or we just have a humour that other types find hard to catch on.

I once made a joke to an ISFJ, saying "Oh wow, isn't that an accurate representation of yourself!" (we were making self-sculptures for art and she's given herself a ridiculous amount of butt). She stared at me for a while (I must admit, she's a little big) and she walked away and sat with her friends and she asked them if she was fat and started asking if she should start losing weight and going to the gym and oh God the whole ordeal was awful.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've never had an issue with either understanding or delivering sarcasm. Hell, it's more of a 2nd language to ISTJ's as we can deadpan and tell you off to your face without usually eliciting a response.

As others have said, this is typist nonsense. I know plenty of NE's that sarcasm goes over their heads (or between their ears as they case may be).

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
If you think about it, sarcasm is more ST than anything. It's like making fun of the associations people have with things or the silly things people say or do that make no sense...ST. So if anything, I'd go there. But it doesn't correlate with any type because it's really just a very popular kind of humor many people use and understand

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
No correlation, it's just the material your humour is based off of, probably. They don't have the same background of knowledge and thought processes that you do.

Reactions: peoplesayimanahole

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I guess Ne types find it easier to catch up to the sarcasm but doesn't mean Sensing types don't. Probably Si's would completely miss the whole joke. Or we just have a humour that other types find hard to catch on.

I once made a joke to an ISFJ, saying "Oh wow, isn't that an accurate representation of yourself!" (we were making self-sculptures for art and she's given herself a ridiculous amount of butt). She stared at me for a while (I must admit, she's a little big) and she walked away and sat with her friends and she asked them if she was fat and started asking if she should start losing weight and going to the gym and oh God the whole ordeal was awful.

I think one thing that might be possible about this whole topic is not that certain types do understand sarcasm and others don't, but rather that different types communicate sarcasm in different ways.

It's possible that N types understand each others' sarcasm more than S types would, but that S types perfectly understand sarcasm between themselves.

In regards to ISFJs vs. INTPs, I think a lot of it is that for ISFJs things kinds of things are so much based on trust and relationships. My best friend is an INTP, and I've been friends with him for about 20 years. I understand his humor and am not hurt by his jokes about me/his picking on me because I understand that he deeply values me as a friend even if he doesn't communicate that directly. I understand that he likes to make jokes just to make things interesting and just to get us laughing.

I also think being around him for so long makes it easier for me to recognize when he's joking and when he's not...I recognize his mannerisms and I know the kinds of things that make him laugh.

But, I imagine that if someone else, INTP or not, said some of the same things that he did, I might not understand that they were joking or I might be hurt by it.

So I think different factors play into it with each type...each type's understanding of sarcasm can just be different. I don't know if it's a matter of some types "getting it better" than other types.

Reactions: peoplesayimanahole

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I'm wondering if there's a correlation between sensing types and not understanding the whole spectrum of sarcasm as much as intuitive types do. I always find that only sensing types always say they don't understand my humour or they can never tell when I'm being serious or joking. Or is this more of a thinking/feeling thing, though I don't see how this would correlate. It's only because I also notice feelers are more prone to misunderstanding sarcasm and taking offense.

I think it might be the whole Sense verses Intuitive situation because as an N and F myself I get sarcasm its just rather I need to know if the sarcasm was meant to be hostile or witty before i am willing to laugh and play around rather than be offended, usually the difference is all in my intuition looking into how it was used and tone of voice, and admitting I sometimes don't even use my intuition and just be lazy and take offense right away lol i am sure people sometimes hate that but sometimes i just don't wanna deal :unsure:

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I'm a ~feeler~. Other than my ninja-like stealth and prowess, plus my uncanny degree of super-cuteness, sarcasm is kind of my primary means of disarming my opponent.

I know plenty of sensors who can be just fantastically sarcastic. I actually think my type of sarcasm is more likely to fly over the head of Ni-using iNtuitives than anyone else. But I am the first to admit I don't understand Ni all that well, maybe the whole function just makes a mockery of me and I'm too spaced out in Ne land to notice.

I know plenty of sensors I can be sarcastic with. The quips might be a bit more contained and not as prone to branching off into something else, but I mean, it's still good stuff.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts