Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sensing is often described as taking things at face value, or at least it is implied many times, but is this true of Si types as well? Don't Si types compare information to their own past experiences or what they know themselves and see if it fits, rather than just accept it? So in that sense could they be skeptical of the information they are provided if it doesn't assimilate well into their own store of information? Does this ring true with introverted sensing types?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Sensing is taking in things as they are. Take a table for example. Sensing sees the table. What it's made of, how big it is, etc. Extroverted sensing is taking in this as "that's all there is". The sensations is what they take in, what actually is, and what is in the moment. Introverted sensing on the other hand sees the object, in this case a table, through a subjective lens, taking in all information they have on tables. Therefore, they, rather than sees how big the table is, sees how big it is compared to another table, or the general size of a table. What I think you mean by "face value" is that it focuses on the table itself, right? If so, it is the case on both extroverted and introverted sensing. Se views it objectively, and Si through a subjective lens, taking in consideration everything they know. iNtuition on the other hand doesn't focus on the table, but everything "around" the table. What could be done with the table? Everything that is not the table, but related to it. Extroverted iNtuition does this objectively, while introverted iNtuition does it in the same subjective lens as Si, just with iNtuition.

Yes, Si by itself would be skeptical of new information, not relatable with prior experience, but so would Ni by itself. Both the introverted irrational functions draw from prior experiences to use in their subjective lens, and therefore has a hard time coping with what happens outside of their knowledge. That's where the extroverted function comes in. As the function works in pairs and not individually, this would never be the case.

Anyways, in theory, it would be the case for and Pi-dom, but I do not think it's the case in actuality. The case is then reversed with a Pe-dom, resulting in a great ability to take care of situations that they've never been in before, but having a harder time applying stored knowledge in a case.

Section two and three are my thoughts, section one is as I've understood it how it is.

Reactions: penny lane and Amy

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Sensing looks at what is without trying to see in behind it. This doesn't mean that Sensors always take everything at face value though since we all simply have an individual preference for how intuition we use, but we all use it.

SJs notice important details and use them to understand and navigate the world that they live in. As Js they like structure which paired Sensing gives them a fondness of procedures and traditions.

If I may be somewhat negative here to exemplify; I wouldn't say that they look at the world at face value. Rather it is, as you say, reflecting the now compared to what they've come to learn in the past. This will in some cases make them maintain the status quo even though counter-evidence taken at face value would suggest that they should change it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
You could say Se users are more likely to take things at face value. A more positive way of putting it is to say that Se users strip as much internal or mental interference as possible when perceiving an object. Sometimes the 'face' of the object reveals a lot more than trying to look 'into' it.

Si is really different though. I have no idea.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Face value pertains to the awareness needed before thoughts are developed (cognitive functions develop thoughts). Everyone uses face value to associate an object with another for recognition or making guesses. Cognition exists to assist our face value judgments (i.e. memory and ignorance) for survival.

'Face value' may better match Extraversion which builds ideas upon the untampered appearance of an object. Introversion is the idealization of this appearance, like face value inverted.

More on topic, Sensation itself has affinities for what in its environment elicits consistent satisfaction.
Si likes its pleasure to endure time. Logically, Si uses methods to increase outlook for being effectively comfortable.
Se likes its pleasure to be accessible. It recognizes gratifying objects; logically this grants ideas of what else is useful around them, and what usefulness is/does/feels like.

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
It depends on the type/function.

ESTP for example, from my experience, are very future orientated. Always seeing how things can be improved, and where they will end up. They want to be ahead of the game. They are the ultimate flippers. And nothing is static for them. They are always looking for a deal and the next big thing. They are great observers.

Si and Te don't really like that kind of attitude. They like more tried and true methods, and are more cautious.

Reactions: AdInfinitum

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
@Le9acyMuse made a good point about extraversion taking things at face value. Extraversion has a lot to do with being objective, which is more likely to give a person this way of thinking.

But I find saying that they "take things at face value" an insulting way of looking at it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts