Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like i have a firm grasp on every function other than sensing... would someone care to explain it in laymens terms? Do they really never day dream or get lost in thought? whats the deal i cant understand it!

·
Registered
689 Posts
"It's a tree!"

Se doesn't get lost in how the tree is taking in nutrients and CO2, while pumping out O2 for all of us humans to continue our existence. It's just a tree.
Not saying those with Se as their dominant or secondary function DON'T get lost in thought. I'm just referring to plain ol' Se.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"It's a tree!"

Se doesn't get lost in how the tree is taking in nutrients and CO2, while pumping out O2 for all of us humans to continue our existence. It's just a tree.
Not saying those with Se as their dominant or secondary function DON'T get lost in thought. I'm just referring to plain ol' Se.
I already kinda knew that but i need it defined a bit more in depth...

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
Sensing is a process of becoming aware of sensory information and often involves responding to that sensory information without any judgment or evaluation of it. Sensory information is concrete and tangible in nature. In the Sensing process, the focus is on the actual experience, the facts and the data. As an active perceptual process, it is more than stimulation of the five senses. It is the registration of that stimulation and actively being drawn outward to the concrete realities of a situation or inward\ to recollections of familiar experiences.

Extraverted Sensing (Se) - Experiencing and noticing the physical world, scanning for visible reactions and relevant data. You are one with the experience. There is no "naming" or describing - just pure, vivid experience. The whole scene comes into your awareness almost at once. You may be drawn to experience more and more, seeking any variation that will intensely excite the senses. Writing that is richly descriptive can also evoke extraverted Sensing as can other mental stimulation. The process is momentary and tied to the events of the immediate situation. It is used in the here and now and helps us know what is really there in the physical world and to adapt to it. Exraverted Sensing - occurs when we scan for information that is relevant to our interests, then we mentally register data and facts such as baseball statistics, the locations of all the restaurants in town, or the names of all the actors in the popular television shows. There can be an active seeking of more and more input to get the whole picture until all sources of input have been exhausted or something else captures our attention. Associated behaviors include eating a whole box of chocolates for the variety of tastes; playing an instrument for hours with pure enjoyment, not for practice; voracious reading or continual asking of questions to get specifics.

Extraverted Sensing (Se)/Extraverted Thinking (Te) – Se and Te are often used when there is a focus on facts and an empirical approach. Keep in mind that Se is a perceptive process and may consist of data gathering with questions, whereas Te is a judging process in which the purpose of question is to establish logic.

Extraverted Sensing (Se)/Extraverted Intuiting (Ne) – Se and Ne are both simultaneous in nature and involve perception of many things at once. This can lead to random activity as the outer world is scanned for additional information. With Se, there is an emphasis on possibilities for actions to take. With Ne, there is an emphasis on possibilities to be considered for action.

Introverted Sensing (Si) - Recalling past experiences, remembering detailed data and what it is linked to. Introverted Sensing often involves storing data and information, then comparing and contrasting the current stimulation with similar ones. The immediate experience or words are instantly linked with the prior experiences and one registers that there is a similarity or a difference - for example, noticing that some food doesn't taste the same and is saltier than it usually is. Introverted Sensing is also operating when you see someone who reminds you of someone else. Sometimes the feeling-tone associated with the recalled image comes into your awareness along with the information itself. Then the image can be so strong, your body responds as if reliving the experience. This could be seen as a source of feelings of nostalgia or longing for the way things were. In one instance, a young couple living in Europe spent their weekends trying out restaurants looking for food that tasted like American food.

Introverted Sensing (Si)/Introverted Feeling (Fi) - Si and Fi are often associated with a strong kinesthetic sense – like a whole body feeling-tone response. Remember, Si is an information source that informs decisions. When engaging in this process, a series of past impressions comes to mind unbidden. Fi is a feeling judging process that uses different sources of information as checkpoints along the way to know if the evaluation is “right”.

Introverted Sensing (Si)/Introverted Intuiting (Ni) – Si and Ni are both more focused and involve a perception of “one thing at a time.” This gives the behavior a sequential appearance, with a sense of beginning, middle and end. With Si, the sequence is often logistical in nature and based on the past. Ni is based on a vision for the future, and the focus is on what steps to take next.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Sure they daydream but their mind places stress on different things from intuitives. Mind of intuitive emphasizes connections between different objects, people, facts, events, etc. the cause-effect relationships, while mind of sensor emphasizes that concrete object, person, fact, event what could be gathered by senses from it.

Here is a diagram of this. In first square the world is how a sensor would see it, full of concrete objects but connections between those objects are not given great value. In second square is the world of how an intuitive would see it, objects don't matter much but the relationships between them do.

More info: Fundamental Nature of the MBTI

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Somehow, sensing has eluded me also...Especially Se. I do think I understand Si a bit more.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I feel like i have a firm grasp on every function other than sensing... would someone care to explain it in laymens terms? Do they really never day dream or get lost in thought? whats the deal i cant understand it!
You have to remember that everyone has both sensing and intuition, it's just that everyone will have a natural preference for one or the other. Sensing is probably more foreign to you since as an ENTP, Ne is your dominant function, meaning Si is your inferior function.

But sensors do daydream and get lost in thought...everyone does. It's just that it's probably not a sensor's natural reaction...sensors usually don't automatically think about big picture issues, or try to see how every little piece fits together in the grand scheme of things. That's not to say that these things can't interest a sensor or that we never think about them...but it's not the first thing that we think of usually.

Sensors are usually more focused on what's right in front of them, what's going on in their own personal lives, and how their own individual path is taking place. Kind of like Functianalyst said, Si users usually focus more on the past and how it's created their current experience (and sometimes how it affects the future), Se users usually focus more on the present and what they're currently doing, and N's usually think about the future and how they can change things (though I don't have a strong understanding of the difference between Ne and Ni...this may be more of an Ne thing).

This has led to all kinds of threads here talking about how sometimes intuitive types view sensors as shallow, simple or boring, especially because it appears that society has more sensors than intuitives, so they get frustrated with dealing with sensors so much in their lives. On the flip side, sensors may view intuitives as too dreamy, unfocused, and not action-oriented enough.

What I always hope is that everyone sees the value in both and realizes that they are equally important. This helps one to understand other people and how their strengths are valuable, and it also helps one to strengthen their own weaker functions.

Basically, intuition is important because it helps people to come up with new ideas and innovations, to improve upon the problems and deficiencies in life, and to look at multiple angles and how every issue fits together in the broad spectrum of the whole world and everyone in it. Sensing is important because it helps people to focus on carrying out these ideas, being aware of and noticing all of the details that are important in carrying them out, and looking at the sequential steps that must be done one at a time in order to achieve the original goal.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks this is all helping a great deal. How would i identify a sensing person? I can sometimes point out intuitives but there are others where i have no idea.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
Thanks this is all helping a great deal. How would i identify a sensing person? I can sometimes point out intuitives but there are others where i have no idea.
In a nutshell typing others is virtually impossible. Even if you are versed in noticing a particular function-attitude (Ne vs Se), you will still have to discern in what particular placement are you observing it be used. Are you observing what you believe is Ne (or it could be Fe or Se) at the dominant, auxiliary, tertiary, or fourth level?

We all are capable of using each function-attitude, but some will have a more developed use than others. It could be as equally hard to discern between two types using the same dominant function since we use each function-attitude at different degrees. I would not necessarily know another ISTP if I saw one since they could be using their Se and be mistaken for an ESP type or ISP (assuming that I did not just notice Te instead), or alternating between Ti-Ni to be for INTP or INJ type. Knowing how functions work can help us learn about ourselves and at best help us indicate what function is being used. But it would be almost impossible to discern a type from observation.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
This is one very easy way to tell dominant sensors. I'm working in a group of people who is mostly comprised of intuitives but we also have a few people who are dominant in S function. And what I've noticed is that when they are presenting their work or talking about their work progress or ideas, they will present a lot of numbers, concrete facts, specifics, details, but at the same time not really interconnect them. While I am a strong intuitive so for me a table full of figures is considered supporting information, almost irrelevant. I'd like to know how this table relates to the next table instead. At the same time I have trouble recalling details and specifics, may sometimes even skip them and do a poorer job because of it.

In real life when talking to people you can simply evaluate what seems to be the things in their life that are important to them. What turns them on mentally? What makes the light bulbs go off in their head and excites them? What are they trying to achieve in their life, what goals? What things have greatest influence on their decisions? If you ask them to explain how they came up with some conclusion, what factors they likely to list? What factors are they likely to value? From this information you then get closed to evaluating whether person is sensor or intuitive. Some people I find find their MBTI stereotype very well and so are easy to type, but then there are other people who don't and this is where it gets tricky.

The problem is that people's functions don't always fully follow the prescribed order, so you may meet intuitives with strongly developed sensory function and vice versa. If you look at function of intuitives that are dominant in a judging function ENxJ and INxP you will see that sensing is their tertiary function and intuition is their auxiliary. In some of these people their sensing function may be as strong as their intuitive function. Then if you take a look at "sensors" you will see several personalities have intutive function as tertiary and sensing as auxiliary ISxPs and ESxJs and same can apply to them i.e. their teritary function can be very well developed so that it will often overtake their sensory function quite often in their life. So sensor vs intuitive isn't a clear divide, more like a gradation, and there are personalities you would meet who are right in the middle. It is much easier to tell dominants sensors and dominant intuitives apart.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
This is one very easy way to tell dominant sensors. I'm working in a group of people who is mostly comprised of intuitives but we also have a few people who are dominant in S function. And what I've noticed is that when they are presenting their work or talking about their work progress or ideas, they will present a lot of numbers, concrete facts, specifics, details, but at the same time not really interconnect them. While I am a strong intuitive so for me a table full of figures is considered supporting information, almost irrelevant. I'd like to know how this table relates to the next table instead. At the same time I have trouble recalling details and specifics, may sometimes even skip them and do a poorer job because of it.

YouTube - MBTI Sensing and Intuition Training Clip

In real life when talking to people you can simply evaluate what seems to be the things in their life that are important to them. What turns them on mentally? What makes the light bulbs go off in their head and excites them? What are they trying to achieve in their life, what goals? What things have greatest influence on their decisions? If you ask them to explain how they came up with some conclusion, what factors they likely to list? What factors are they likely to value? From this information you then get closed to evaluating whether person is sensor or intuitive. Some people I find find their MBTI stereotype very well and so are easy to type, but then there are other people who don't and this is where it gets tricky.

The problem is that people's functions don't always fully follow the prescribed order, so you may meet intuitives with strongly developed sensory function and vice versa. If you look at function of intuitives that are dominant in a judging function ENxJ and INxP you will see that sensing is their tertiary function and intuition is their auxiliary. In some of these people their sensing function may be as strong as their intuitive function. Then if you take a look at "sensors" you will see several personalities have intutive function as tertiary and sensing as auxiliary ISxPs and ESxJs and same can apply to them i.e. their teritary function can be very well developed so that it will often overtake their sensory function quite often in their life. So sensor vs intuitive isn't a clear divide, more like a gradation, and there are personalities you would meet who are right in the middle. It is much easier to tell dominants sensors and dominant intuitives apart.
I am not sure why the obvious is being overlooked in the thread and in video. Ni and Ne are not the same and neither is Se and Si. They all mean something different. Simply saying sensing or intuiting means nothing in type since the functions without attitudes attached are in neutral. You're merely describing and inactive function. A Se and Ne type could just as easily do what the instructor described as the intuiting style of writing and the Ni-Se types could do what was described as the sensing type. I say this because writing itself calls for doing something outside of the Self, which means it can only be done using an extraverting function. In that case Te and Fe could write detailed information. Based on my experience with an INTJ Attorney at work, she throws in the kitchen sink and does overkill. Granted this may be her training as an Attorney, but it could just well be the use of her Te.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I am not sure why the obvious is being overlooked in the thread and in video. Ni and Ne are not the same and neither is Se and Si. They all mean something different. Simply saying sensing or intuiting means nothing in type since the functions without attitudes attached are in neutral. You're merely describing and inactive function.
Because it is a simple workplace training video, so he is trying to get some meaningful information across in a manner that doesn't confuse the heck out of his listeners. He is tailoring information he is trying to get across to the understanding his audience is capable of. He does actually mention that it can be information from past or present, which is a shorthand way of saying Xe or Xi. He is describing possible ways of behavior for employees and co-workers and potential conflicts these people may encounter in the workplace, not going into functions.

A Se and Ne type could just as easily do what the instructor described as the intuiting style of writing and the Ni-Se types could do what was described as the sensing type.
Of course you can do anything prescribed to another type. This is why I tell people then when they are doing personality analysis they should do it holistically and watch for trends rather than single instances of behavior. Observing a person over time he or she will start falling into certain patterns of behavior then you can peg them down to a single or a few related types. And no, Se cannot fully imitate Ne, they are similar and can give rise to similar behavior but like I said over time the differences become apparent.

I say this because writing itself calls for doing something outside of the Self, which means it can only be done using an extraverting function. In that case Te and Fe could write detailed information.
Do you think that there is a strict divide between extraverted functions and introverted ones and they are in no way related or affected by each other? In other words, am I writing this via my Fe and not consulting Ni and Ti? I was under impression that as my introverted function feeds on information provided by extraverted ones in same way there exists a loop that feeds extraverted functions from introverted ones. And thus if I am writing it is not simply expression of my Te or Fe.

Based on my experience with an INTJ Attorney at work, she throws in the kitchen sink and does overkill. Granted this may be her training as an Attorney, but it could just well be the use of her Te.
I have several INTJs and ISTJs at work and each type does extensive analysis, both types rely on what has worked on past, but yet I can definitely tell ISTJs are more grounded in the physical world resulting in a more practical analysis while INTJ over-analysis is more conceptual.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
Do you think that there is a strict divide between extraverted functions and introverted ones and they are in no way related or affected by each other? In other words, am I writing this via my Fe and not consulting Ni and Ti? I was under impression that as my introverted function feeds on information provided by extraverted ones in same way there exists a loop that feeds extraverted functions from introverted ones. And thus if I am writing it is not simply expression of my Te or Fe.
I never said that, I am saying only extraverting functions can be used for writing styles. Your video example never went into the specific context that was being written. It merely said one writes in detail and the other does not. He is absolutely incorrect in asserting that sensing writes in detail and intuiting does not. Neither write in detail. That is Te and Fe.
I have several INTJs and ISTJs at work and each type does extensive analysis, both types rely on what has worked on past, but yet I can definitely tell ISTJs are more grounded in the physical world resulting in a more practical analysis while INTJ over-analysis is more conceptual.
And I have been accused of writing more conceptual than the average INTJ, so I am unsure of your point.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
The examples in this video of the bosses of the 2 different types have both happened to me. In school I remember being appreciated for a very detailed essay I wrote and I swear I've actually had what must have been an inuitive type shit on me for not "getting it", and now all I can think of is: "well excuuuuuse me!" Those ones made me feel really stupid, now I know why. I don't feel much better but I at least "get it" (pun intended I suppose).

This might be an appropriate place to ask. I've made my sig with a motive out of something I drew and I was wondering if that seems like something a dominant sensor would produce?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts