Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this may pertain to all INFPs but I find myself very sensitive to noises such as something beeping, things falling on the floor, a bell ringing, etc.

Do any of you have sensitivity towards sounds or noises? If so, how do you react to them?

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
Maybe you're just an HSP - hyper sensitive person. Look it up. And no, that's not an insult but an actual condition :proud:

Personally, I can be very sensitive to my surroundings: a room's temperature, lights, noise, fabrics and textures. I get overwhelmed easily, so I usually prefer quieter places. Crowds make me uneasy, same for places with lots of activity.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Yes, sirens, alarms, engines, babies crying, loud music, vacuum cleaners, leaf blowers all set off my flight response. All I want to do is remove myself from the offensive sound, so I'll usually block my ears with my fingers.

Other quieter sounds can be really disturbing and anxiety provoking as well- whispering, mouth smacking, people with the sniffles, footsteps above me when I'm downstairs, heavy smoker voices.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Not in the slightest, but I have an ISFJ friend that's like this. Come to think of it, all the people I know that are highly bothered by external senses tend to be Js. I'm completely the opposite in all areas, perfectly fine with loudness, perfectly fine with physical discomfort so long as it isn't overly distracting. I'm a bit too easy going for my own good with stuff like this.

But then, on the other end of the spectrum, if you asked me whether or not I'd forgotten to lock the front door when I left the house this morning, I'd probably ceaselessly obsess about it until I got home. The human mind. It's weird.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Maybe you're just an HSP - hyper sensitive person. Look it up.
I did just that and found so many attributes that fit me that I feel urged to research more about it... (That may be just my curiosity on the other hand.)

Now that I think about it: As a child, when my mother took me to the mall, we always went separate ways. My mother did her shopping and I just went to the video games section or something. And after some time standing around there I always felt sick. Always! Every time I go to this crowded shopping centres I feel sick. I believe it is the unnatural light (which also is always too strong) and the constant noise that makes me sick. When we were out again I always felt better by the way.
Now I don't go there that often and if I do I try to make it short.

Another thing is: I love music. But sometimes my head is bumming so strong (most times after listening to music too long) that I don't can even listen to the most calm, silent songs, nor can I watch TV. Especially ads! When I am in that state I can feel every neuron die while watching overloaded, loud and noisy advertisement.

Yet another thing is that my eyes are light sensitive but I think this is biology and not psychology. I even need to always wear sunglasses outside.

On the other hand my smell and sense of taste is a bit distorted in a psychological way: my doctor said both my nose and mouth are okay, but nevertheless I can not smell that good nor can I taste the fine flavours. After I had my first party with friends this senses where back to normal for quite some time. I told my therapist about it and he said it might well be possible that this senses are blocked by my psyche. As is the case with my ears when it comes to listening to people. I can't get myself to understand every word someone says. I hear them talk but can not understand them if they mumble or speak too silent (which would be nothing serious if others wouldn't understand them too, but they do and I don't - even though my ears are good).

But I get a bit carried away. :unsure:

Back to topic: Yes I am sensitive to noise. I easily get headaches when thrown into a sea of noises. Sometimes my ears hurt because of this sounds. I can not concentrate when exposed to excessive noises. But I love the world of sounds. I especially like, no, I love this silent sounds of some pieces of music (google "Fi's Gratitude" for an example).
But I think I learned to withstand the pain of this a bit. Same as I learned to hide every emotion under my poker face.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Only if I'm sleepy, and then the external noises causes everything close in on me and I spiral toward disassociation. Especially if I first get to work and still haven't fully woken up all the way and all these coworkers are blabbing away, and since my slave box (aka cubicle) is practically right in the middle of the building, I'm surrounded by the noisy madness.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I can tell you from experience, that when you are in an incredibly bad mood, one of the worst places you can be is a sporting event/concert/whatever where everyone is clapping and there's lots of awful noise and happiness that is working for everyone but you. But anyways.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe you're just an HSP - hyper sensitive person. Look it up. And no, that's not an insult but an actual condition :proud:
Hmm, I searched that but only got results for Highly Sensitive Person. I took a test and yes, perhaps if not definitely,I am a Highly sensitive person. I do react rather sensitively to the tones of people's voices as well.

And yes I agree, when I'm in a bad mood or very tired, the noise does amplify significantly.

·
Banned
416 Posts
Certain noises gets under my skin. Parents raising their voice with a child, children crying, rap music hits a sharp chord with me, and loud sirens.

I also am very sensitive to noise when I sleep like dripping water, cars passing by since I live on a highway, cats running around... I cope with this by turning on a fan, the noise is something I like. The silence of the night even nerves me a bit where these little noises drive me crazy and without the fan on the silence can make me paranoid that a sound will surface. I'm a light sleeper and the littlest noise will wake me and keep me away.

If my mood isn't in a good place, I have to listen to music that isn't heavy, but melancholic and soothing. My mood also affects this sensitivity to noise.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Extremely sensitive. When I first walked into my college cafeteria, I could barely hear myself think. Not a jolly good time, to say the least!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Yes. Earplugs are my long time best friend (sometimes will even wear them out in public or to work) and noise cancelling headphones are quickly becoming my new bestie. Highly recommend both of them to those that are sensitive to outside noise. I am also a HSP if that's even a real thing.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I am sensitive to loud noises, as well as bright lights generally speaking, esp sunlight in the morning.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts