Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if it was fairly common for INFJs to be very sensitive to people touching them. Well, I know it is, but to what degree? More specifically, when someone touches you, do you feel it on your skin even when they're not touching you anymore? If someone gets close to you and then backs off, do you feel like some sort of heat is still right next to you?

Is it worse if you were distracted when it happened? I've realized that when i'm thinking about something and someone touches me it gets me furious. People pulling my shirt and my ponytail to get my attention or people waving a hand in front of my eyes when i'm somewhere else will make me want to chop off their whole damn arm from their body. If i'm reading something on my computer and my cat jumps on me, it will actually hurt my legs, instead of just being heavy. Someone putting the tag of my shirt back inside without telling me first makes me want to slap them across the face. People touching my arm while they talk... Anyway, is it just me?

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I was wondering if it was fairly common for INFJs to be very sensitive to people touching them. Well, I know it is, but to what degree? More specifically, when someone touches you, do you feel it on your skin even when they're not touching you anymore? If someone gets close to you and then backs off, do you feel like some sort of heat is still right next to you?
Yes and yes. I'm definitely quite sensitive to touch (sounds are also a particularly sensitive thing for me, they can be they most sublime experience of a lifetime or give me shivers and make me really irritated and more. It's all with being an HSP, as well as for me a migraine/headache person (light sensitivity for one thing gets really heightened when I have one of those).

Is it worse if you were distracted when it happened? I've realized that when i'm thinking about something and someone touches me it gets me furious. People pulling my shirt and my ponytail to get my attention or people waving a hand in front of my eyes when i'm somewhere else will make me want to chop off their whole damn arm from their body. If i'm reading something on my computer and my cat jumps on me, it will actually hurt my legs, instead of just being heavy. Someone putting the tag of my shirt back inside without telling me first makes me want to slap them across the face. People touching my arm while they talk... Anyway, is it just me?
It's indeed much worse if I'm not expecting it, especially if I'm really into something (writing, reading, thinking, etc.). But again, it's the extremes with being so sensitive: touch can be so annoying, but it can also be really nice if I am expecting it and such.

It also depends what mood I'm in, but even if I'm in a less tolerant mood (probably if I have a migraine, for one thing, or over-peopled for another), I still appear tolerant.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds are also a particularly sensitive thing for me, they can be they most sublime experience of a lifetime or give me shivers and make me really irritated and more.
Repetitive noises, scratching noises make me angry very quickly. The high pitched sound of something metal can actually make my teeth hurt. Forks, spoons, knives for example. My INFJ friend has synesthesia and a certain type of blue makes her teeth hurt too.

Reactions: Snowflake Minuet

·
Banned
3,318 Posts
If I'm particularly focused on a task I'm doing (and if I'm doing a task, I'm almost definitely going to be focused), the slightest touch can make me jump.

I do not want people touching me unless I'm pretty high on the closeness scale with them. People I am very close with, though, I find it very comforting. My husband will tell you that I'm one of the most aggressively touchy people out there if I like you that much. He's the only one who really falls into that category. :laughing:

I think inferior Se tends to act on extremes. You're either going to really love a sensation, or really hate it. Where the stimulus lands on the spectrum can depend on a whole wide variety of factors.

·
Registered
705 Posts

Being sensitive to touch is characteristic of Highly Sensitive People (HSP), and INFJ's have a greater probability of being HSP than most other types. But that doesn't mean that most INFJ's are HSP.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I do not touch others at all, I avoid it if I can. If someone touches me with out my consent i go into this state of mind that I am aware of every little thing around me. I hate it when someones puts there had in my face when i am in thought or reading. It took me 5 years to hug my best friend. I also have no problem picking up my little nephew and hugging him. Also when with romantic partners I find myself being very touchy. I like to hold hands and snuggle a lot. I am also a OCD Germaphobe, if anyone touches me and I think there hands are dirty than I can feel this weird crawling on my skin and I just have to scrub in tell the feeling goes away. Also its not just peoples touch its also certain fabrics. I dont know if its the same with other INFJ but I dont like certain fabrics. I prefer very soft fabrics such as satin or silk. Sometimes I even get sensitive with myself. Like if I bump into a lot of things or I am getting annoyed with myself and my surroundings I will just be like " hands in the air, dont touch anything, dont touch yourself, no one get near me or I will explode into a fit of anger"

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
I hate having my focus broken in general whether it was physical touch that interrupted it or not. It can cause me to be bitchy or colder than I'd like. It's something that I need to work on.

What you're talking about sounds like an invasion of space/boundaries too which I think would irritate anyone. I'm more tolerant of those who I have an intimate connection with. It depends on the type of bond I have with the person.

It's also some what mood dependent. If I'm in a light, playful mood, I will be playful right back. And if not, watch out. I'll probably claw you to death...literally or figuratively speaking :p Well, at least I will in my head ;)

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Yup.

I agree with others, anything that breaks my focus can make me really irritated.
When people want to talk to me, I insist on reorganizing myself first. Only then can I be accommodating. "Okay, now I'm here and I'm sitting down, what did you need?"

When it comes to touch:

I can both love it - if I'm expecting & wanting it.

And it can make me extremely defensively angry if people are insistent or surprise me.
Just. Do. Not. Surprise. Me. Ever. (Again why were INFJs ever matched up with ENTPs?? LOL)

I... so once at an amusement park, I accidentally broke an employee's nose with my magic wand prop. He surprised me, it was just a gut reaction.
ENTP bf at the time tried to angrily lecture me over it because we got kicked out of the park... well I was already ratcheted to a level of anger beyond his comprehension, so I shut his nonsense down, lol.

Other sensory things I can block out well... sounds for instance. My ISFJ mother is always noticing sounds that annoy her like barking dogs or bass from a car. But I just tune it out, as long as it's not too horrendous.
Like her, I do prefer peace & quiet... which is one way that Ni and Si can look similar from the outside.

I try to avoid shaking hands (OCD), hugging, and really any touching with strangers. The closer I know someone, the incrementally better I get, but even with my family I prefer hugs to be on my own terms only.

A trusted long-term romantic partner is like the sole mental slot where that person can touch me whenever and in a lot of ways. I love for a SO to come up and hug me from behind, when someone anywhere close behind me would utterly freak me out from anyone else.
To grab my arm or hold my hand, suddenly everything turns soothing when it's a partner. LOL, it's kinda weird to think about.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And it can make me extremely defensively angry if people are insistent or surprise me.
Just. Do. Not. Surprise. Me. Ever.
I agree. I don't mind giving my friends a hug for example. But stand in front of me and ask for it first, and if I say no it's no. There's only three persons that I'm fine with them not asking first aside from a romantic interest and they're all maternal figures. And i'd still prefer that they all ask, or at least don't jump on me so I see you coming.

I... so once at an amusement park, I accidentally broke an employee's nose with my magic wand prop. He surprised me, it was just a gut reaction.
ENTP bf at the time tried to angrily lecture me over it because we got kicked out of the park... well I was already ratcheted to a level of anger beyond his comprehension, so I shut his nonsense down, lol.
Best story ever. x)

Reactions: Sour Roses

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Sensitive to touch?

Not INFJ but I can feel the hands several inches before they touch me.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,168 Posts

It could be tactile sensitivity. It tends to be a symptom of things like autism and ADHD, but it can exist on its own too. Also, the opposite can happen with autism.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts