Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so ISFPs are considered one of the most sensitive of all the types, but how does your sensitivity manifest? What annoys you or hurts you?

For example, I can't stand aggressive, rude, harsh and disrespectful people. Unfortunately, where I live, it's hard to find people who are NOT like that. It makes me feel very depressed.

So, how about you?

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Yeah, I was always branded as an overly sensitive person. I'm not quite as bad as I used to be, but I'm still very easily hurt by small comments. Someone can tell me they don't like my hair/clothes/whatever, and I'll spend the rest of the day dwelling on it and wondering if everyone thinks the same as they do.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What gets me down is being criticized about my intelligence.

I tend to harshly judge people who make bad comments about my appearance or lifestyle, though I don't feel hurt or angry.

LittleOrange said:
For example, I can't stand aggressive, rude, harsh and disrespectful people. Unfortunately, where I live, it's hard to find people who are NOT like that. It makes me feel very depressed.
That must be really hard for you. Where do you live?
I'm from Brazil and most people here are very kind, but also disrespectful and prejudiced (which is ironic since we are a country with a vast cultural diversity).

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
That's stupid.

My ISFP friend's sensitivity manifests through her writing and art. She's very selective in who sees it and you just have to be very careful in how you respond. She is also annoyed when people don't self harm, depression, or suicide seriously, such as not believing the person or using the subject a joke.

Reactions: funyarinpa

·
Rebel without a cause
2,725 Posts
I usually respond by going cold and then retaliating at their blindsides. Not a very charming trait, I've done a lot of stupid stuff because of that. >_<

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
This is definitely one of mine. I live in an area where people are very close-minded about a lot of stuff... So it bothers me when people are disrespectful to others beliefs. Unfortunately, it's a daily occurrence for me. I've also figured out that I'm really sensitive to other people's attitudes and personalities... For example, my husband's grandfather... He's very outspoken and racist... I can go over there in a wonderful mood, and leave completely depressed because his personality wears me down. :(

I can also be sensitive to certain criticisms... My mom has been on me about how "strict" I am with what my daughter (10 months old) can and cannot eat. Everyone is always trying to give her cookies and other sugary foods... I just really don't want her hooked on that kind of stuff early on in life. I'd like her to get into the habit of liking fruits and veggies before she starts in on the sugary stuff. I really don't want her to end up like her cousin who won't eat anything but junk.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
When I mess up and someone yells at me, when someone says my ideas are stupid, or when someone harshly criticizes me I freak out or get really pissed off inside. For example, I had this one job and my boss would yell at me and call me stupid all the time because I couldn't understand what he meant. Also, there's been some people I would be trying to talk with and I would offer up some creative idea and they would just be like that's f**king stupid. Every time something like that happens, I swear I die a little.
:sad:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Same. I get that a lot, mostly because I don't think people understand why I am concerned about how things look and feel, opposed to how they function. It bothers me, but then I think about how unintelligent they sound making a rash judgement based on nothing but opinion.

I also notice that people say hurtful things that are directly related to their own insecurities.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Basically the same. I can't stand when people think they're better than other people, even more when they're like that but they do it kind of secretly if that makes sense, so to others they seem like they're friggen gods gift from heaven or something.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Basically the same. I can't stand when people think they're better than other people, even more when they're like that but they do it kind of secretly if that makes sense, so to others they seem like they're friggen gods gift from heaven or something.
Agreed. I get really irritated with several INTJs on various forums that think this way. I've gotten to the point where I just roll my eyes at a lot of the posts. I don't see it as much with INTJs here, as I do on other forums.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have a suspicion I'm a Highly Sensitive Person...I am extremely sensitive, I take everything to heart and I will dwell on things for a long time. Even years after something embarrassing or upsetting has happened it just pops in my mind with no warning.

I get upset and embarrassed very easily, I read a lot into what other people say and do and over think things too much. I'm better at it than I used to be, I try to be more rational and stop myself from getting too upset but I am still very sensitive. I think being sensitive is a good thing if you learn how to manage it so it's not going over the top.

For example I find that being sensitive gives way to compassion and empathy, and that is something that I will never be ashamed of.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hmmm, I used to be bullied for being sensitive, would be called "baby" and everything, really upset me to the point that I made a concious decision to stop being so sensitive in that sense, it's really just made me feel cold. Also, if someone hurts my feelings I try to push it away now, guess I've become overly stubborn and head-strong, but I"m still sensitive, can cry at the simplest of beauty because it's so wonderful, and I love tearjerker movies since they can make me tear up.

In the sense of being sensitive to what others are feeling, I would say I'm pretty good at it, but I'm not really around a lot of people, but the ones I've been around I think I"ve been pretty good at reading them. I knew this one guy had romantic feelings for me before he could even completely form the thought in his head........... So yeah.........

What frustrates me most is people acting immature when they should act more mature, being closed-minded and rude, as well as cruelty, especially to animals and others that can't really help themselves (children, special people (those with disabilities), so on).

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I have a suspicion I'm a Highly Sensitive Person...I am extremely sensitive, I take everything to heart and I will dwell on things for a long time. Even years after something embarrassing or upsetting has happened it just pops in my mind with no warning.

I get upset and embarrassed very easily, I read a lot into what other people say and do and over think things too much. I'm better at it than I used to be, I try to be more rational and stop myself from getting too upset but I am still very sensitive. I think being sensitive is a good thing if you learn how to manage it so it's not going over the top.

For example I find that being sensitive gives way to compassion and empathy, and that is something that I will never be ashamed of.
Do other people's mood affect your mood? A friend of mine is a HSP and she can't be around negative people....they drag her down too much and she ends up feeling depressed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I mess up and someone yells at me, when someone says my ideas are stupid, or when someone harshly criticizes me I freak out or get really pissed off inside. For example, I had this one job and my boss would yell at me and call me stupid all the time because I couldn't understand what he meant. Also, there's been some people I would be trying to talk with and I would offer up some creative idea and they would just be like that's f**king stupid. Every time something like that happens, I swear I die a little.
:sad:
It also happens to me often, i know how it feels...Sometimes i am afraid to say what i want because i am not sure how others will react, will they critize me, will they say that it is stupid. And when they say something like that i feel really bad.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think I'm very sensitive but not very sensitive...
I think I'm sensitive as I'm neurotic,
I'm sensitive to my own feelings, sensitive to conflict, sensitive to this moments,
I ain't sensitive to other's feelings, other's need, future, target, etc.
(It seems that, I need extra effort or being abstract to the situation to sensing other's need/feelings)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Do other people's mood affect your mood? A friend of mine is a HSP and she can't be around negative people....they drag her down too much and she ends up feeling depressed.
Yes! Extremely so! If I see/know about someone who is hurt, I feel their pain and sadness. I pick up on people's emotions and it does affect my own mood.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think I'm HSP too, but I didn't score very high on that test.....and someone asked where I live, I live in Croatia. But, anyway, I wanted to ask you, how do you deal with that? I used to fight them, pretend I was strong and that it doesn't hurt me, but it does. Sometimes I feel like I can't take it anymore :( Do they also consider you incapable because of that? I hate when people think I'm stupid just because I'm being polite to them and they think they can manipulate me and do with me whatever they want. Sometimes it seems like you have to be haughty so people would respect you (at least here where I live)...it's like, if you are simple and down to earth and respect other people, they disrespect you and treat you like shit, but if you disrespect them, they all of a sudden have more respect for you! WTF? I don't understand this mentality. My ex boss told me that I will never make anything in life the way I am....

And also the constant criticizm, "You should be more aggressive, you should be more advantegous, you should be louder...." bla, bla, bla....if someone says that to me one more time, I think it would be hard for me to control myself and not punch them in their face! :p

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Do you guys sometimes find Te/Ti users difficult to have a conversation with? Particularly Te users as they usually have low Fe, and they quite readily insult somebody without even knowing it... and then they get annoyed at me for getting upset over what they thought was nothing.

I did the same thing as some of you, I decided to stop being so sensitive as so many people had made it out to be a weakness. So now I find it difficult to have emotional conversations with anyone without feeling like I'm exposing my weakness.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts