Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you handle talking to S-types? At school I'm surrounded by mostly Sensor-types and I usually end up talking about stuff that dont really interest me at all. It leaves me kind of exhausted.
:sad:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well, I live with a ISTP who is one of my best friends. It's hard to describe how I 'handle' her, I think we just work so great together because of a mutual understanding and tolerance. She listen to all of my bullshit and I to hers. She mostly doesn't annoy me, I am often interested and fascinated by her way of thinking.

I can imagine a ESTP would drain me from energy within a second.

What helps me most is to just accept and let things be the way they are. I know she is the way she is. We never have any kind of argues.

That probably didn't help you much. hehe.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
S and N just have different flavors of communicating, less abstract vs. more, but that doesn't mean they don't have interests in the same things or find eachother delightful. I wonder if all the people in your class are really S types, and if they are, is the reason you have a hard time with them really bceause they are Ses or just you find them boring, rude, or have nothing in common?

If it really is they are just S types, S types tend to like humor, phyical humor. Talk about stuff that is going on right now, like a movie that came out or a dance that is going on. Talk about politics or people you know. S types are great for gossip ;D

When in doubt, talk about sex. Everyone likes talking about sex.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
S and N just have different flavors of communicating, less abstract vs. more, but that doesn't mean they don't have interests in the same things or find eachother delightful. I wonder if all the people in your class are really S types, and if they are, is the reason you have a hard time with them really bceause they are Ses or just you find them boring, rude, or have nothing in common?

If it really is they are just S types, S types tend to like humor, phyical humor. Talk about stuff that is going on right now, like a movie that came out or a dance that is going on. Talk about politics or people you know. S types are great for gossip ;D

When in doubt, talk about sex. Everyone likes talking about sex.
The hilarious part is that all of the topics you said sensors would like are stuff I find boring.

·
THE IRON GIANT
10,129 Posts
How do you handle talking to S-types? At school I'm surrounded by mostly Sensor-types and I usually end up talking about stuff that dont really interest me at all. It leaves me kind of exhausted.
:sad:
What makes you think they're sensors? They just sound like people with different interests.

·
Registered
428 Posts
The only real difference I see in interacting with sensors is that they are often (not always! I am NOT trying to generalize because we're all different) more concerned with details, with the concrete, whereas I tend to be concerned with the bigger picture. For instance, when my sister tells a story she wants to talk about the solid events, she wants to set the scene, etc. When I tell a story I tend to bypass details, giving enough to make it understandable...but I'm always more concerned with the bigger picture.

I think my way of telling stories drives her crazy because I'm leaving out the details she thinks are important. Her way of telling stories sometimes drives me nuts because of her focus on things that in my mind are ultimately unimportant to the overall picture. So, if I'm relating a story she was a part of, she'll often cut in with details, or add details at the end, and if she's relating a story that I'm a part of I'm often hurrying her to the point. Haha.

It doesn't make her uninteresting and it doesn't mean we can't communicate.

I deal with more sensors than that, I'm just using her as an example since she's one of the more extreme sensors I communicate with.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I understand you, S types are different from us, but I still liked my ESTP friend, he's a really cool guy, we're like Thinker-Doer team. :D It was really fun, but now he's living in the other city. :(

Yet I try to communicate with S types, I mean you can't just run away from them, they are everywhere. You can try to change your surroundings with more N friends, pick a new hobby, I heard that acting classes are very N dense, especially there are alot of XNXPs

Have a nice day.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Whenever the conversation is dull I try twisting it towards topics that interest me more. I'm not really the most articulate person, but with some practice I could do it more... smoothly. xD

Now, some people would be interested and engage a conversation, some wouldn't. I usually get very disheartened when I'm talking about something I like and the person I'm talking to is barely listening (but hey, I zone out a lot as well, when I'm not interested).
But when that happens I try to find another topic that would engage both of us, and it usually works... unless we're really different from each other.

I know where you're coming from, but I wouldn't divide it as S-talk and N-talk. I think that the difference is in the way people communicate, not what they talk about. I usually hang out with an ISFP, ESFP and an ISTJ and I can always find what to talk about with them. Also, some stuff I've seen people consider as ~deep intuitive talk~ bore me.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
The hilarious part is that all of the topics you said sensors would like are stuff I find boring.
Don't humam beings in general talk about these things? No?! Ok nevermind xD

well whatever ignore my advice then OP!! Just figure out what you do have common ground on and talk about it...

·
Registered
694 Posts
Well here's an alternative thought- you could just not bother talking to people you don't find interesting, and save your energy for talking to people you do find interesting and put all that extra energy into schoolwork or whatev. Who says you have to become Ms. Social if you don't feel like it? For me, accepting myself as an introvert has been one of the most beneficial things I've learned about the MBTI. Although, I also think its great to develop one's less dominant functions. I think it can be super rewarding to push ones self to do what they can to reach out and connect with others.

I don't want to be degrading to Sensors, but I think they like to talk about what can be perceived by us as obvious and concrete (and therefore sometimes boring to us). I don't think you can go wrong with talking about class assignments and teachers and what's immediately going on in the classroom to have a convo with a sensor. You can also talk about things like current events, or like shenanigans you saw on T.V. or sports or weather or something. If you want to try to get "deeper" with a sensor, maybe you can try something like, ask them to elaborate on a comment they made in class that you found insightful. I dunno. I think those are pretty much general small talk things one can use to open up a conversation with either an Intuitive or Sensor, but I think that focusing on concrete things that both of yall can relate to will be the best bet.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I like talking to Se doms but dominant Si is my kryptonite.

When ISTJs talk about how a list of car features compares with the features of a similar model, or an ISFJ starts reminiscing about what was the exact name of the street where something that doesn't exist anymore was located I tend to make the right noises and nod in the right places but my mind is generally miles away. If you'd ask me to recall what I've just been told 9 out of 10 times I won't have a clue.

·
Registered
869 Posts
If I was in the market for a car, I might do just that...
It's a sensible approach and I am interested in broad statements like model A´s tax on emissions is smaller than B's, A's suspension is more comfortable than B's, it will be easier to transport the bikes in C..etc...but the detail, exact numbers, precise quantities, quotes etc kill me. I can't even focus on it my mind wanders....

1 - 20 of 48 Posts