Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had an interesting conversation leading to a realisation of differences in how Intuitives vs Sensors experience life. Granted, this is from the POVs of a Se-dom and Ni-dom, but maybe it will ring true for some.

Basically, the Se-dom said she experiences life as concrete 'chapters'. Each section of her life has a clearcut beginning and an end, and each of these sections contain a version of herself completely different than the others. She can 'shut the cover' and leave it, gaining complete closure and a sense of 'that's over and done with, I never have to look at it again as it's not relevant anymore'. Ability to flip pages open is kept but doesn't touch 'present reality'.

Analogy: turning from a caterpillar to a butterfly, shedding the 'old skin' to emerge fully transformed and different from the original form; from tadpole to a frog; evolution.

Continuing with the book metaphor, I said my perception of life is much like a book series - separate parts but all interconnected, unable to make sense or exist without the other parts. Closure in the sense as above, without any attachment, doesn't exist. Feelings fade with time but are always there, like faded paint or a stain on cloth maybe.

Analogy: a tree, from a seed to a fully grown plant, still the same organism but building upon the original form, never transforming in the same way as a caterpillar would; growth.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I can definitely understand the aspect of life being "chapters" where your friend is coming from. What I see is what I get, once I experience it--it's over. It's done. It's practically non existent in my mind because what's important is what is in front of me right at that moment.

Life is a wheel that turns, and I need to move.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I think a lot of this also has to do with how much change is actually happening in your respective lives. For example, a person who went to the same elementary, middle and high school, will be much more likely to view their lives as a continuum. Contrastingly, someone who moves around once every 2 years will be definitely more likely to view it more as chapters. Personality does come into play but a lot of other factors do too.

·
Banned
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think a lot of this also has to do with how much change is actually happening in your respective lives. For example, a person who went to the same elementary, middle and high school, will be much more likely to view their lives as a continuum. Contrastingly, someone who moves around once every 2 years will be definitely more likely to view it more as chapters. Personality does come into play but a lot of other factors do too.
good point, I think I just got a bit overeager haha

Interesting perspective, not the case with the Se-dom and I (we're siblings and up to a few years ago had exactly the same kind of living environment. Paradoxically, she's the one who had it more stable while I moved around much more. Emotional/mental stability was flipped for us, I'm guessing, her having had less upheaval as a child but a rollercoaster during teenaged years while with me it was sort of the other way around), but it makes sense. It's true I don't view my life as having been very eventful though while I'd wager she would very much agree that a lot has happened to her.

But yeah, maybe it's just an 'us' thing then and not something more can relate to. It was just a thought I had since my mother (also Ni-dom) seems to have a somewhat similar perspective, at least when it comes to emotional attachments.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
How I view life...
For me it's like a dream where I can not remember where it started but I know I am moving forwards. I tend to face forwards, seeing where I am going, the path I'm going to take. The further forwards I look the fuzzy it becomes, just as I look over my shoulder the hazzier my memories become. A continuum of events that never really start or end.

I generally find I move on from events, I don't revisit them or care to ponder my memories. Often they are void of details, I know x happened, but when?/where?/with who? is vague.

This does not sadden me as I'm facing forwards. At times moving through events before they have occured. I'm keen on the direction my life is taking.

·
Banned
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Ksara @Lumosaria yes, what both of you described is very similar to how I experience it. That constant forward movement and the mosaic...yep. Many parts of a whole that exist on their own but make no sense by themselves

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
@Ksara @Lumosaria yes, what both of you described is very similar to how I experience it. That constant forward movement and the mosaic...yep. Many parts of a whole that exist on their own but make no sense by themselves
You may be interesting in the Renin dichotomy: static/dynamic. Whilst these dichotomies haven't been validated, interesting none the less.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
How I view life...
For me it's like a dream where I can not remember where it started but I know I am moving forwards. I tend to face forwards, seeing where I am going, the path I'm going to take. The further forwards I look the fuzzy it becomes, just as I look over my shoulder the hazzier my memories become. A continuum of events that never really start or end.

I generally find I move on from events, I don't revisit them or care to ponder my memories. Often they are void of details, I know x happened, but when?/where?/with who? is vague.

This does not sadden me as I'm facing forwards. At times moving through events before they have occured. I'm keen on the direction my life is taking.
You sound like you would fit within Keirsey's understanding of the Artisan temperament:

keirsey-orientation.jpg

To understand the concept of hedonistic, I think it helps to quote him here:It was Aristotle who detected the underlying hedonism in Plato's Arti- sans. Hedonism is the ethical philosophy that defines the "good" as what is pleasurable, especially to the senses. Of course, all of us want to have pleasure, some of the time anyway, but not with the insistence of the Artisans. Idealists would take pleasure in what they do, but if pleasure interferes with their altruistic goals, then pleasure must be forsaken. As for Guardians, pleasure must wait upon a stoical acceptance of their duty, and duty need not be pleasurable at all. And for the Rationals, if what is done is not pragmatic, that is, does not lead efficiently toward their goal, then it is simply not done, no matter how much fun it might be. Artisans, on the other hand, do things for the fun of it; to them, a life without pleasure is not worth living.
That there is a good contrast between the Artisan perspective vs. the other temperaments. I think it works, IMO. ;-) And I say this as a person who has high values, and who is a conscientious person, who values things like hard work, altruistic motives, etc. I have to admit this quite describes me.

I can't speak for the other temperaments, but from my perspective, I think he's pretty accurate here.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I feel like I see my life as a merge of the two views. One the one hand, I would not be who I am now without my past. Some areas of my life would need to be viewed in the whole to make sense, like my unhealthier teen years where I acted very different from my childhood and now. I feel like it's a series too for me. But kind of a choppy one, like Chronicles of Narnia.

But it's kind of like those books are finished in the series. What happened, happened. I don't really like to dwell on the past. I can't change it, so why bother? Sure, you could probably make some connections. But you don't really need them.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
You sound like you would fit within Keirsey's understanding of the Artisan temperament:

View attachment 579586

That there is a good contrast between the Artisan perspective vs. the other temperaments. I think it works, IMO. ;-) And I say this as a person who has high values, and who is a conscientious person, who values things like hard work, altruistic motives, etc. I have to admit this quite describes me.

I can't speak for the other temperaments, but from my perspective, I think he's pretty accurate here.
Interesting :)

I think I may see the connection. The view point for me tends to be one of consequence which isn't really duty, altruism, or pragmatism. Actually pragmatism so long as efficiency reduces effort required lol but I don't think that's what Keirsy meant.

I can take pleasure in what I do so long as the outcome does not place me in a less desirable position. It's "if, then, else" reasoning.
I will not do something fun if it means tomorrow (or a week/ month/ year etc) I am worst off. Though the goal I am working towards is essentially to set myself up in a way I can follow my interests and enjoy life comfortably.
Do you think that still fits with the Artisan perspective?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts