Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

So, this summer, I've learned a lot on the INFJ thread, and one of them was how important it is for the INFJ to find an internal sense of balance. After many threads, a lot of probing & seeking within, and trying out different things, I found that balance.

HOWEVER, I just moved to a different place and I've encountered so many different people, ideas, things. All of a sudden, I am faced with all this new information I had to incorporate into my existing balance, and I admit, I feel really off-balance and I'm still trying to find a good way to sort out all this information. I feel unprepared and everytime I encounter more information, I get a tad bit overwhelmed since i have to adjust my internal balance. I think taking a few days to just plan and research will take care of this though, so I know what to expect and what my surroundings are like (I usually like to have a good deal of time to prepare my mind and just prepare my stuff, but this time, i was in a rush so didn't have that opportunity).

Anyway, if anyone else has also dealt with this sensory overload and found it overwhelming, do share your advice or just your experiences. I'd like to hear about it from others and learn from others' experiences as well. :)

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
There are often times when I have to "refocus" at work

I will block out everything that is going on around me, then start collecting tangents of information by what is currently most important (I.E. Filtering out a conversation going on behind me between coworkers while I'm trying to troubleshoot a computer problem over the phone)

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Basically what I do when that happens (and I'm going through it right now) is that I try to just listen to music and think. I just moved away from everyone I knew and am living with my mom again. Not ideal... But it's to help me get back on my feet and all that. As long as I know it's a temporary situation, it helps me cope. I basically work 7 days a week now and I'm not spending any money so that I can move on. In regards to being overwhelmed with everything going on around you, just take the time to sift through it all when you are alone. See if you can think back on it and see if anything new comes to mind.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
This happens to me with maybe almost everything, not just new places. Actually I just started to watch Serial Experiments Lain series a few days ago and I have downloaded all the episodes, but I don't watch them one after the other. I find there can be a lot of things in one episode and I have to soak it all in afterwards. Sometimes it is not even info, but just beautiful scenes I have to 'savour' I guess. I was on an INTJ forum last night and saw a guy who goes through the same when he attends lectures at school. The topic of the thread was on Introverted Intuition.

You just make sure to take breaks from life.

I was at a job last year and there is no break till after many hours but there are moments in between like when I do repetitive tasks and I can just zone out and relax. It's interesting how the job still gets done though I'm not paying much attention. Generally it's only when I've arrived home that I can really rest and then go through what's been filed in my mind, the experiences, thoughts of the day etc.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
not new place but the level of sensory input. normally i become nervous and if it's way too much i break into tears. i just couldn't make it through my Cousin's wedding last year.I lasted way longer then normal but just could not make it anywhere near the length required at least i made it through the Ceremonies i lucked out that part was outside beside a lake.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I definitely have to adjust to different levels of input and new environments. I need positive things in the environment like plants. And too much stimulation will really wear me out.

·
Registered
440 Posts
so agree with this
there was time when i shut down at a train station - there just were soooo many people and i hadi been in the middle of my most introverted process / phase and :-0 BOOM! my head went completely blank i could not even move or do anything and i asked someone to give me some time off at the station office or something..

it is important to have a quiet bass camp to resort to (wherever you go) and also have a rather slower, planned pace and a set of objectives to solve to grasp the mind

1 - 7 of 7 Posts