Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What turns a person into a serial killer? I often hear about them being like some odd phenomenon in human neural development, that is, an example of many things going wrong at the same time in the development of a person from birth to adulthood. These are a mix of genetic and environmental factors, that combine in such and such a way so as to create the "perfect storm", that is, the birth of a serial killer. What would you imagine it would take to push someone over that edge?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Serial killers or better known as psychopaths are people who have traits like glibness and superficial charm, grandiose sense of self-worth, pathological lying, cunning/manipulative, lack of remorse, emotional shallowness, callousness and lack of empathy, unwillingness to accept responsibility for actions, a tendency to boredom. They have these traits because not all of the electrical waves in their brain are working right, its like their fear and empathy are shut off making them different from the majority of people. here's a link that might help 3 Things Psychopaths Can Teach You About Being a Happier Person - TIME

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
I believe the root cause is inherently sexual. They can't have normal intimacy, even Dahmer had gay sex slaves and Wuornos killed men, and Knorr killed her two teenaged daughters out of sexual jealousy. All the way back to Jack the Ripper and prostitutes. It would I guess be linked to a pathological inability to bond and enormous sexual entitlement. That's why they sometimes keep trophies of body parts.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I've read that most serial killers had a troublesome childhood. I do believe most serial killings may be related to unreleased/unexpressed anger at the very core. It's a bit hard to explain, though.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I read this study about an adopted child who was raised in a very loving/stable home, but turned into a violent criminal murderer.

While he was in prison, his cell-mate noticed that he looked almost identical, albeit younger, than a man he knew from a prison in another state. The Prison psychologist did some digging and found out the other man was his father. After interviewing the father, the two men had led nearly identical lives.

Both began committing crimes at the same age, they had the same interests, and were serving life for murder. What is even stranger, is that when the psychologist dug even deeper, the grandfather of these two men had a life that mirrored the other two! A violent, criminal murderer with similar tastes, interests, and his life unfolded on the same time frame as his son and grandson.

None of these men had ever met each other.

Clearly a strong biological link here that totally overwhelmed the Nurture factor in Nature Vs Nurture, in these men's case.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I would suggest not to equal serial killers to psychopaths because they are not synonyms.

Yeah, it usually seems to come with a sexual undertone. Oppression, sexual humiliation...

Ted buddy talked about boredom too. He seems like someone who almost just let go.

Interestingly, serial killers more often than not turn out have a high IQ.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I would suggest not to equal serial killers to psychopaths because they are not synonyms.

Yeah, it usually seems to come with a sexual undertone. Oppression, sexual humiliation...

Ted buddy talked about boredom too. He seems like someone who almost just let go.

Serial killer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Studies have suggested that serial killers generally have an average or low-average IQ, although they are often described, and perceived, as possessing IQs in the above-average range.[7][14][21] A sample of 174 IQs of serial killers had a median IQ of 93; only serial killers who used bombs had an average IQ above the population mean.[22]

Many have been abused, bullied, bed wetters, pyro's, menial employment. But the serial killer with a high IQ is more pop culture than reality.

·
Banned
2,715 Posts
it all depends on if they get a rise from the killing, pleasure and the like, or if it's for some other agenda like in the case of the unabomber. Would you count contract killers? There's a bit of a mystique blended in to some convicted serial killers, and fabrications as well.. I honestly don't think they're really that interesting.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Razorgirl Same. I do sometimes think about what happens to cause an overwhelming need to murder though. It's because I find humans as a whole interesting, that I think about what individual people do with their lives. Contract killer, I probably wouldn't count. I'd say that there needs to be an autonomous compulsion, with a pattern. A contract killer kills who they kill for money, they kill who they're told to kill.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Exactly: the general population is 4% psychopaths to 96% non-psychopaths, whereas the serial killer population is about 85% psychopaths to 15% non-psychopaths.

Also, considering the sheer number of people who aren't serial killers, the vast majority of psychopaths wouldn't be serial killers either.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Serial killer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Studies have suggested that serial killers generally have an average or low-average IQ, although they are often described, and perceived, as possessing IQs in the above-average range.[7][14][21] A sample of 174 IQs of serial killers had a median IQ of 93; only serial killers who used bombs had an average IQ above the population mean.[22]

Many have been abused, bullied, bed wetters, pyro's, menial employment. But the serial killer with a high IQ is more pop culture than reality.
Yes. I missed it myself. Psychopaths, psychopaths I was talking about.

EDIT: Scratch that. I really should re-check my sources before typing general statements. *walk of shame*
But it does suggest that psychopaths with higher iq's are more prone to crimes of a larger scale and severity.

http://www.crimetimes.org/06b/w06bp7.htm

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
What turns a person into a serial killer? I often hear about them being like some odd phenomenon in human neural development, that is, an example of many things going wrong at the same time in the development of a person from birth to adulthood. These are a mix of genetic and environmental factors, that combine in such and such a way so as to create the "perfect storm", that is, the birth of a serial killer. What would you imagine it would take to push someone over that edge?
A troubled upbringing. The effect mental trauma through bullying and such can have is immense. It can make you hate the world, which would make it a lot easier to go on a killing spree.

·
Registered
764 Posts
You might enjoy the show Criminal Minds. Its about the BAU (behavioral analysis unit) that hunts serial killers by analyzing their killing patterns, victomology, and what type of weapons they use. In one episode they go in depth of the neorological state and how their brains have a deformed frontal cortex, and unproportional brain hemispheres.

As far as why they kill, ask yourself, why does a hunter kill? For sport, or are they merely projecting their domance over what they believe is an inferior species?

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
I read this study about an adopted child who was raised in a very loving/stable home, but turned into a violent criminal murderer.

While he was in prison, his cell-mate noticed that he looked almost identical, albeit younger, than a man he knew from a prison in another state. The Prison psychologist did some digging and found out the other man was his father. After interviewing the father, the two men had led nearly identical lives.

Both began committing crimes at the same age, they had the same interests, and were serving life for murder. What is even stranger, is that when the psychologist dug even deeper, the grandfather of these two men had a life that mirrored the other two! A violent, criminal murderer with similar tastes, interests, and his life unfolded on the same time frame as his son and grandson.

None of these men had ever met each other.

Clearly a strong biological link here that totally overwhelmed the Nurture factor in Nature Vs Nurture, in these men's case.
I definitely think it's both nature and nurture. It has to be partly nurture, though, since the serial killer rose with industrial capitalism, and the spree shooter rose in the digital age. ..and typically these perps are white (if not white, Asian, never like Mexican or black) and male and middle class. There are female outliers, but there's definitely some sort of pattern here.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts

There's some sort of sexual link in nearly every case, ranging from abduction and rape of women, to making gay male sex zombies, to crafting a woman suit...Bundy was troubled from childhood, surrounding his aunt or sister with knives while she slept, then later in high school he was a peeping tom, and as an adult he carefully avoided killing women he knew personally...including the fiancee who jilted him who he later retrieved just so he could have the pleasure of dumping her. Bundys "boredom" was likely the intense emptiness of a sociopath, not just regular boredom, as he was in law school for fucks sake, what he meant by boredom is that he wanted animal excitement. ..he was absolutely VILE, his crimes against women are notorious in the extremes of his brutal anger, his rage, the level of violence. ..whomever said he was "more bipolar than anything" needs to read quite a bit more. He may have had bipolar comorbidity, but that was not exclusively his problem.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
You might enjoy the show Criminal Minds. Its about the BAU (behavioral analysis unit) that hunts serial killers by analyzing their killing patterns, victomology, and what type of weapons they use. In one episode they go in depth of the neorological state and how their brains have a deformed frontal cortex, and unproportional brain hemispheres.

As far as why they kill, ask yourself, why does a hunter kill? For sport, or are they merely projecting their domance over what they believe is an inferior species?
The deformed frontal cortex is very significant, which probably explains that apparent inability to deeply bond with other humans in a "normal" sexual or intimate way.

Also excellent point about hunting. I definitely thought about that with Bundy at least originally being a peeper. He was learning to stalk his prey.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
it all depends on if they get a rise from the killing, pleasure and the like, or if it's for some other agenda like in the case of the unabomber. Would you count contract killers? There's a bit of a mystique blended in to some convicted serial killers, and fabrications as well.. I honestly don't think they're really that interesting.
Yes I think worship of them is wrong, the serial killer as celebrity, like they're geniuses or something. They usually aren't. What they do is different, it's interesting. It's PRIMITIVE. I think some of us are more interested in our animal past more than others, which is why some of us like horror movies, we just can't believe the deathless lie...in other cultures, people die every day and there are actually adults in the United States who have never seen a dead body.

There is a level of admiration though I do have for the crafty ones. The ones who have an ongoing apparent skill to hunt and kill and collect humans. Like these people are playing the most dangerous game. Certain ones, like the Zodiac, were sharper than others. Then you have your kind of sloppy ones who are just interesting in their depravity. Theresa Knorr is the wicked queen in the fairy tale. Just like omg, people still do these things, it's not "behind us."

I have a much deeper contempt for spree killers. No talent losers. Amateurs...but seriously, they anger me in their straight forward selfish stupidity. No moral shame, no intellectual reason. Just spraying bullets.

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
I believe the root cause is inherently sexual. They can't have normal intimacy, even Dahmer had gay sex slaves and Wuornos killed men, and Knorr killed her two teenaged daughters out of sexual jealousy. All the way back to Jack the Ripper and prostitutes. It would I guess be linked to a pathological inability to bond and enormous sexual entitlement. That's why they sometimes keep trophies of body parts.
Do you think that applies to male violence more broadly? It is sexual?

I agree that serial killers are not even interesting. They have no cause but themselves. Guys like Hitler are actually interesting.

Somebody made an interesting thread on this:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts