Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have questions for those who know that they have ASPD (Antisocial/Dissocial Personality Disorder), as there are a huge amount of people with this condition. I've been learning more about it, but I still have questions. If you have this condition...

Can you easily spot others with this condition?

How do you get along with others with ASPD?

How do you view and associate with people in the autistic spectrum?

What things would you like to say to help others understand your condition?

Those questions for starters.

*oh snap, spelt "serious" wrong in the title lol! XP

·
MOTM September 2012
8,417 Posts
Good luck getting a sociopath to admit to it. I've only known one who gave me insight into my abusive ex who has NPD and four traits of ASPD.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
For whatever reason, there are a lot of people who seem to type themselves with this disorder (especially online) more than just about every other personality disorder out there. Rarely do they get actually diagnosed by a professional. So good luck with accurate subject data on this one.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
If someone admits they are sociopath online, they are usually lying or a really stupid sociopath :p

I will humor you though and say that if a sociopath comes across this thread and answers your questions...I wouldn't believe a word they said. They are pathological liars...

As for your first question, yes I bet they can spot others like themselves, and they are really good at targeting "weak" (AKA kind) people to toy with. (No, I do not consider kind people to be weak at all, quite the opposite actually).

I don't think they would get along with ASPD people unless that person would be of any benefit to them.

You should youtube sociopaths being interviewed and you will probably come to some conclusions of your own.

·
Registered
INFJ 4w5
546 Posts
I was involved with a so called psycho path and he never admitted to being one. He always acted as if he was perfect & claimed how everyone was against him. He always tried to make himself look like he was the victim if every situation.

Shortly I ended up breaking up with him I checked out the movie called Simon Killler which is a character piece. Someone suggested me to watch it since I was involved with someone who was a sociopath.

Off topic I know but here's a interview about the movie in case you're interested. This interview made me crack up! I enjoyed watching it though. :tongue:

And I only brought it up since were talking about sociopath's in general.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
Can you easily spot others with this condition? Yup.

How do you get along with others with ASPD? They coo.

How do you view and associate with people in the autistic spectrum? They aiite.

What things would you like to say to help others understand your condition? Sup? lol

·
MOTM September 2012
8,417 Posts
It seems to me that we have a lot of people labeling others as sociopaths or labeling others with a personality disorder. This is kind of like a layperson diagnosing someone with cancer.
The only reason I will say that my ex is a narcissist is because my psychiatrist sat me down with the DSM after my breakup, and he explained each bullet point and how those bullet points play out with a person. My ex's behaviors and attitudes fit 7 of 9 criterion for NPD. Was really quite shocking.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts

What things would you like to say to help others understand your condition? Sup? lol
OMG I knew it!!!

:lol:

·
Banned
14,865 Posts

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
The only reason I will say that my ex is a narcissist is because my psychiatrist sat me down with the DSM after my breakup, and he explained each bullet point and how those bullet points play out with a person. My ex's behaviors and attitudes fit 7 of 9 criterion for NPD. Was really quite shocking.
The DSM criteria lists are very general and can be applied to a lot of people at lot of times. The DSM should be taken with a grain of salt. It is not a holy book.

Both parties in a bitter divorce by definition show narcissistic behavior.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good luck getting a sociopath to admit to it. I've only known one who gave me insight into my abusive ex who has NPD and four traits of ASPD.
Apparently a typical sign that someone has this condition is that they don't really care that they have it. This should make it easier for some to admit to it. By the way, having this genetic disorder doesn't make a person evil...that is simply a stereotype in our society. It would be similar to believing that all people of the autistic spectrum are evil, it simply isn't true.

For whatever reason, there are a lot of people who seem to type themselves with this disorder (especially online) more than just about every other personality disorder out there. Rarely do they get actually diagnosed by a professional. So good luck with accurate subject data on this one.
This is true, but many of them have been properly diagnosed. It's actually amazing how many there may actually be, and thus we really need to give this subject more attention, and try to learn more about it.

Sociopaths aren't keen on answering such questions.
Actually I've watched a documentary that had a few sociopaths who were interviewed. Those few at least didn't seem to mind, so many some out there would be willing to talk about it...and why not talk about it? I think it's a good idea to talk about this sort of thing.

If someone admits they are sociopath online, they are usually lying or a really stupid sociopath :p

I will humor you though and say that if a sociopath comes across this thread and answers your questions...I wouldn't believe a word they said. They are pathological liars...

As for your first question, yes I bet they can spot others like themselves, and they are really good at targeting "weak" (AKA kind) people to toy with. (No, I do not consider kind people to be weak at all, quite the opposite actually).

I don't think they would get along with ASPD people unless that person would be of any benefit to them.

You should youtube sociopaths being interviewed and you will probably come to some conclusions of your own.
Talking about a problem is hardly a stupid idea. Being a sociopath doesn't automatically mean they will tell lies.

I will have a look at YouTube, thanx for that idea.

It seems to me that we have a lot of people labeling others as sociopaths or labeling others with a personality disorder. This is kind of like a layperson diagnosing someone with cancer.
I'm interested in interviewing people who have been properly diagnosed. I can only hope to be able to achieve this in trying.

I'm sorry, I didn't understand your third answer? Also, do you have this condition?

- Btw, I'm happy to talk in privet via PM.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wouldn't mind learning more about NPD as well. I know someone with that, altho not well. The person seems only capable of talking about their own experiences/abilities from our conversations thus far.

·
MOTM September 2012
8,417 Posts
The DSM criteria lists are very general and can be applied to a lot of people at lot of times. The DSM should be taken with a grain of salt. It is not a holy book.

Both parties in a bitter divorce by definition show narcissistic behavior.
Uh, not really. It's not a divorce. I was emotionally abused for three years until I was a shell of a person. The man I was with has NPD.

·
Host
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ VLFE
20,610 Posts
Actually I've watched a documentary that had a few sociopaths who were interviewed. Those few at least didn't seem to mind, so many some out there would be willing to talk about it...and why not talk about it? I think it's a good idea to talk about this sort of thing.
Are we talking about sociopaths who are now prisoners, or sociopaths who are diagnosed and freely volunteering as a part of their therapy?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Uh, not really. It's not a divorce. I was emotionally abused for three years until I was a shell of a person. The man I was with has NPD.
Sorry to hear that, and it is good that you got out of that situation.

Because of this tho, do you think you could answer those same questions but towards someone with NPD?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Are we talking about sociopaths who are now prisoners, or sociopaths who are diagnosed and freely volunteering as a part of their therapy?
Anyone at all who has been officially diagnosed and is willing to participate. Most are not, and never been, in prison, and a very small minority have committed serious crimes, so I think it's more likely I'll get an interview with a sociopath who isn't a prisoner. I'm worried you have the wrong idea of what a sociopath actually is?

1 - 20 of 121 Posts