Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started a job at a fast-food joint, and I'm having a lot of trouble concentrating and getting everything done that I've been asked to do. I also seem to be a bit of a klutz because almost everything I touch breaks. (As in: I touch the freezer door and it falls off) At first everyone was really patient with me because I am new and everything, but after a while they seemed to be losing patience. I don't really blame them, if I had judging traits as strong as theirs I probably would be too. I like the work -- there is plenty of variety and I get to do something new almost every shift, but I simply cannot concentrate. I'll forget what I was asked to do because someone will ask me to do something else, or I'll be figuring out the problems of the world, or I'll get distracted by something as simple as a fly. For example:

My weird thoughts: "Eek! There's a fly in here. Woah, this fly has especially cool eyes. I wonder what the scientific name is for the shape of their eyes? How did a fly get in here anyway? It was probably some idiot standing with the door open for too long. Or maybe it's an evil bugbot that's trying to take over the world! That would be pretty awesome, but I should be realistic here. It's probably just a completely normal fly -- and it presents serious hygiene issues. But what if it is taking over the world? What if I could have tried to stop it and I didn't? What if it explodes and kills me? Okay, just act normal. Keep making that burger..."

Boss: "Hurry up! These people have been waiting for almost four minutes! You need to focus!"

Me: "Right, sorry."

My weird thoughts: "Concentrate, dude! You need to concentrate! What were you doing? You were putting sauce on a burger. Don't look at the fly, just put the sauce on. Good job!"

Okay, I'd better stop there because you're probably bored, but you get the idea. I'm posting this because work has been making me feel really depressed lately, but I don't want to quit! It's probably just because I have a really strong prospecting trait and because I suffer from the average over-active ENFP imagination. Does anyone else relate to this and could you please help me?

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
@rubber_duck_dude It sounds to me like you're understimulated. Basically, you have a mind-numbingly boring job and your brain has checked out. Fast food is not exactly a thrilling mental challenge.

So you have 2 options. Find a job that does keep you engaged, or scratch that itch on your own time so you don't come into work starving for mental stimulation.

Think of it like having a hyperactive dog, running around chewing on everything and barking like crazy. The only way to calm it down enough to teach it anything is to exercise it. Fido isn't going to sit still long enough for you to teach him to "shake" if he's tearing around the room and trying to jump on you.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Do you have ADD? Because it sounds a bit like ADD. I have it and even with medication a menial job just won't fly. More interesting things will always catch my attention. I worked at McDonald's when I was younger and although it kept me busy enough in the beginning I really became miserable after a few months.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Do you have ADD? Because it sounds a bit like ADD. I have it and even with medication a menial job just won't fly.
Unintentional pun? :laughing:

Anyway I agree with Crystall, if it's bad as you're describing you might want to seek out ADD medication. I have an incredibly low attention span, but I can still get by, and I worked at McDs when I was younger. I'm going to guess you're probably really averse to the idea, but if it's that or your job, I would go with keeping your job. It doesn't even have to be long term, maybe just until you find a more stimulating one.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@rubber_duck_dude It sounds to me like you're understimulated. Basically, you have a mind-numbingly boring job and your brain has checked out. Fast food is not exactly a thrilling mental challenge.

So you have 2 options. Find a job that does keep you engaged, or scratch that itch on your own time so you don't come into work starving for mental stimulation.

Think of it like having a hyperactive dog, running around chewing on everything and barking like crazy. The only way to calm it down enough to teach it anything is to exercise it. Fido isn't going to sit still long enough for you to teach him to "shake" if he's tearing around the room and trying to jump on you.
Thanks so much! That makes perfect sense! I'll have to try this. :)

Do you have ADD? Because it sounds a bit like ADD. I have it and even with medication a menial job just won't fly. More interesting things will always catch my attention. I worked at McDonald's when I was younger and although it kept me busy enough in the beginning I really became miserable after a few months.
I might have ADD, but most of the time I'm usually so tired that you wouldn't notice. High school has this way of preventing you from getting any sleep at all. Anyway, that's completely off topic. I just did an internet quiz and it told me I had "moderate ADD". Do you think it could just be my personality or am I really mental? :dry:

Unintentional pun? :laughing:

Anyway I agree with Crystall, if it's bad as you're describing you might want to seek out ADD medication. I have an incredibly low attention span, but I can still get by, and I worked at McDs when I was younger. I'm going to guess you're probably really averse to the idea, but if it's that or your job, I would go with keeping your job. It doesn't even have to be long term, maybe just until you find a more stimulating one.
I'm hoping that life won't be as boring when I start uni, so I am going to stick out this job. Thanks for the encouragement! :D

Reactions: AdroElectro

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I might have ADD, but most of the time I'm usually so tired that you wouldn't notice. High school has this way of preventing you from getting any sleep at all. Anyway, that's completely off topic. I just did an internet quiz and it told me I had "moderate ADD". Do you think it could just be my personality or am I really mental? :dry:
I would get it tested if I were you. I tested as a rather mild case too with the shrink but either way ADD significantly impacts the way the brain works. And the medication is an amazing help, especially with school. Seriously, I can't even work anymore without it.
I have loads of trouble sleeping as well, the mind is overstimulated. People with ADD/ADHD have to keep moving or they will literally crash and fall asleep in the middle of the day, but seriously as soon you shut off that light and get into bed your eyes are wide open. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would get it tested if I were you. I tested as a rather mild case too with the shrink but either way ADD significantly impacts the way the brain works. And the medication is an amazing help, especially with school. Seriously, I can't even work anymore without it.
I have loads of trouble sleeping as well, the mind is overstimulated. People with ADD/ADHD have to keep moving or they will literally crash and fall asleep in the middle of the day, but seriously as soon you shut off that light and get into bed your eyes are wide open. :rolleyes:
I don't generally have that problem. I'm really hyperactive whenever I'm around people, but then when I'm alone all I want to do is sleep. It's like I have extrovert ADD problems. Do you relate? I also don't want to have to depend solely on medication, especially if it's going to cost a lot of extra money.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I don't generally have that problem. I'm really hyperactive whenever I'm around people, but then when I'm alone all I want to do is sleep. It's like I have extrovert ADD problems. Do you relate? I also don't want to have to depend solely on medication, especially if it's going to cost a lot of extra money.
Well, yeah I mean like I said if I don't keep myself busy while at home I fall asleep on the couch. But I love being around friends and it makes me hyper and happy too and I just try to make them laugh all the time. But I mean that could just be the ENFP personality.
The meds are a tool, but there are others as well. Like in college I got extra time on tests to take away some of the stress that makes it harder to focus, and I got to take them in a quieter room too with less distractions. That was a big help in my case.
For me the meds work really well. I estimated that some studying and other boring tasks could take as much as 4 times as long for me to do without medication, and it's much harder for me to get started. I don't take them every day, only when I want to. I do a lot of freelance work and have to be self-disciplined when working from home and also take care of my own book keeping, and that's definitely something I would have huge problems with doing without meds.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, yeah I mean like I said if I don't keep myself busy while at home I fall asleep on the couch. But I love being around friends and it makes me hyper and happy too and I just try to make them laugh all the time. But I mean that could just be the ENFP personality.
The meds are a tool, but there are others as well. Like in college I got extra time on tests to take away some of the stress that makes it harder to focus, and I got to take them in a quieter room too with less distractions. That was a big help in my case.
For me the meds work really well. I estimated that some studying and other boring tasks could take as much as 4 times as long for me to do without medication, and it's much harder for me to get started. I don't take them every day, only when I want to. I do a lot of freelance work and have to be self-disciplined when working from home and also take care of my own book keeping, and that's definitely something I would have huge problems with doing without meds.
Oh, right!! That makes more sense! I'm seriously going to look into it. Thank you SO much for your help! :D

Reactions: Crystall
1 - 11 of 11 Posts