Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a part of my type that I haven't been able to tease out through all the years I've been familiar with the Enneagram system. I'm pretty positive I'm one of the two, and I relate heavily to 4w3, but sometimes I do things and I'm kind of like...is that really what a 4w3 would do in this situation? So I wanted to see what the good people of this forum think.

Prerequisites

What age range are you in?
I'm currently a senior in high school.

Any disorders or conditions we should know about?
Yes. I've been diagnosed with ADD (subtype inattentive), and I have 'pending' diagnoses for PTSD (from my shitty childhood) and anxiety disorder (my therapist isn't sure what kind I have yet).

Main Questions

1. What do you think your life is about? What drives you in life? This can be something like a goal or a purpose, or anything else that comes to mind.
Life is what you make of it. I can't shake the feeling, as illogical as it may be, that I have some sort of "plan" and that some things in my life have been predetermined by fate, but logically I know that I have to take responsibility for my future and act in a way that will secure the best possible outcome. I'm driven by that -- knowing that I need to make a good future for myself. This future orientation also causes me to be a bit starry-eyed in some cases, always thinking that something better is around the bend, but not being able to accept it as "good enough" when I get there.

2. What were you like as a kid?
A piece of shit, but I was goin' places. In third grade, I paid other kids $5 a week to do my bidding (ie pulling chairs out for me, tying my shoes, doing my homework...) If that doesn't tell you what I was like, I don't know what will. Also I got suspended from elementary school once for throwing a shoe at my teacher's face, so.

3. Describe your relationship with your parents. Does anything stand out about the way you interacted?
My relationship with my dad is very good, we're quite close with each other and he's very lax in some ways so I feel like I can be open with him. I'm estranged from my mother.

4. What values are important to you? What do you hope to avoid doing or being?
Meh, this question is always too broad for me. I'm not sure exactly what I value yet. I know I value knowledge, intelligence, preparation, overcoming struggles, achieving my goals, standing up for what I believe in (human rights, mainly), freedom, independence...but then there's some negative stuff that I place too much value on, like what other people think of me and how I come across to other people. I fixate on those things a lot more than I should.

5. Aside from phobias, are there any fears that characterized your childhood? Have they continued into the present day, or not, and if not, how have you dealt with them?
Um, my childhood was pretty much constant fear, so. I know that's not really what this question is asking, but whatever.

6. a.) How do you see yourself?
Complicated. Bound to be different. Outcast. Intelligent. Artistic. Wounded. Gifted.
b.) How do you want others to see you?
Tough. Successful. Cool. Enviable. Creative. Prolific. Talented. Fashionably aloof.
c.) What do you dislike the most in other people?
Inauthenticity. Passive aggression. Spinelessness. Willful ignorance. Bigotry. Political conservativeness (sorry not sorry).

7. Which habit do you most automatically act on? Rank the following habits from most to least automatic, on a scale of 1 (most) to 3 (least).
a.) Work for personal gain with more concern for self than for others.
b.) Strive for a sense of tranquility in yourself and the world around you.
c.) Decide what is right for the betterment of something or someone else.

8. Where does the wandering mind take you? What provokes this?
I think too much. I spend a lot of my time worrying and then rationalizing those worries. I think about my own passions and interests a lot. I also fantasize a ton about my ideal life, whether it be my ideal partner, ideal home, ideal career...etc. That's something I've done since I was a little kid.

9.What makes you feel your best? What makes you feel your worst?
I don't like this question, so I'm just going to answer about what makes me feel good and bad as opposed to my best and worst.

I always feel good when I can get invested in someone or something, which is probably kind of unhealthy, but whatever. I have a tendency to get infatuated with people (not always people, sometimes other things like bands or games, but usually people) and then lose most of my interest in them after a few months. I tend to chase the high I get from the obsession, though, and it feels pretty fantastic.

I also feel good when people praise me for things. Oops. I'm awkward when I receive compliments, but I also thrive off of them. And when I achieve things that I had my heart set on, especially when I beat out other capable people to achieve that something, I get a high off of that too.

I sometimes have episodes where everything seems bad, though. Microaggressions and such will pile up and just make me snap and I'll be a sobbing, pathetic, self-pitying mess for a few hours. It's hard to pull me out of a mood like that because I get convinced that I'm this awful, worthless mess of an excuse for a human being, but after I get distracted I'm usually fine again.

Also, I get pissed off with other people pretty easily. I tend to see people as 'good' or 'bad' without being able to reconcile both of those sides of the person -- which I know is a bad trait -- and if someone I like otherwise says something that bothers me, I can go on a rampage. I swear I'm not as unstable as I sound (at least not outwardly).

Let's talk about emotions. Explain what might make you feel the following, how they feel to you or how you react to the emotion:
a.) anger
Anger is kind of one of my default settings, heh. I get angry when I see injustice, but before you tell me I'm a core 1 (because I know that's where your mind jumps as soon as you see the word 'justice', don't deny it), it's not related to other people being evil or defective. I get angriest when people are insensitive towards people and groups that are worse off than them -- kicking a dog while it's down, if you will. That's why I believe so strongly in human rights. I can't stand the thought of privileged, powerful people using their influence to silence the struggles other people have. Unfairness really, really irks me. Maybe I have a 1 fix after all. Who the hell knows?
b.) shame
I tend to feel shame when I feel like I'm being judged or excluded by other people. Holy shit do I snap when other people exclude me. It's my berserk button, if you will. I go 0 to 100 when I log onto Facebook and see my friends posting pictures of a party they had that I wasn't invited to. I also feel shame when I feel like I could have achieved something, but didn't because of my own shortcomings.
c.) anxiety
I'm pretty much anxious all the time, but again, I have an anxiety disorder and struggle a lot with intrusive thoughts and the like. One of the things that makes me the most anxious is performing in front of other people because I'm so afraid of making a mistake. I'm also a performer though, so that's a pretty shitty card to get dealt, especially since I'm a singer and when I get anxious I tremble. But I digress.

Describe how you respond to the following:
a.) stress
Depends on the kind of stress. Sometimes I have to put on my big girl panties and charge at it head-on, other times I ignore it and distract myself by bingewatching YouTube videos. Usually I listen to music.
My mental response to stress is panic and/or rationalization, and my physical response varies -- I get a lot of headaches, though.

b.) negative unexpected change
I try to change it back. Otherwise I have no choice but to go with it, eh? Change is often a good thing for me. I get bored easily.
c.) conflict
I'm pretty assertive/aggressive, so I usually deal with it as directly as possible. If I don't feel like I can (because I'm not in the position to do so, or I feel like it could jeopardize my reputation, etc.) I usually just bitch about it to my friends. Complaining, after all, is one of my favorite hobbies.

a.) What kind of role are you naturally inclined to take in a group? Why?
Leader or second in command because I don't trust other people to make the right decisions and I generally assume I'm more intelligent than the people I'm grouped with.
b.) If put in power, how do you behave? Why?
Like an asshole, probably? I try to be gentle and use my tone to win people over, but I can only put on a nice act for so long before I slip back into good old bitchy me. I also like to use power to punish people that piss me off.
c.) Do you tend to struggle with others who have authority over you? Why?
Yes. Again, I usually don't trust them to make the right decisions. If they're competent or otherwise unobtrusive, I don't mind being under other people's command. If they're qualified and earned their position, I have respect for them. If they're in a position that I want, I observe their behavior so that I may one day be in their standing.

What do you see or notice in others that most people don't?
I'm not great at reading people because I'm narcissistic, oblivious to my surroundings, and a space cadet, but I'm pretty good at feeling other people's "vibes". I often notice subtle traits in someone's personality that will help me figure out how far I can push them in certain ways.

Comment on your relationship with trust.
I don't fully trust anyone since I know pretty much everyone has hidden motives. However, I'm not excessively paranoid, either. I don't get close to people easily so it's usually not a very big deal. I do expect people to keep their promises, though, and if they repeatedly let me down they get put on my shit list.

15. Briefly: What religious and/or political beliefs do you have? Do you think they influenced your responses in this questionnaire?
I'm agnostic, which I don't think has any bearing on my responses, and very liberal, which definitely influenced some of my answers.

Which of the following temptations do you find yourself acting upon the most? (And briefly state why)

- To constantly push yourself to be “the best”
Dunno, I have some sort of complex where I always need to one-up other people. It's probably why I'm not very likable. Thankfully I care more about my own success than whether other people think I'm friendly or not. In fact, I'm usually only really what I would call nice when I think I'll get something out of it. That's not to say I'm a total sociopath or anything, but I don't care for etiquette and tip-toeing around truth. I care about other people, but generally in a more global than personal way.

- To be without needs, well-intentioned
Yeah, no. I'm high maintenance as all hell.

- To replace direct experience with concepts
I usually use concepts to prepare myself for direct experience, but I do tend to shy away from acting and retreat back into the safety of fantasy.

- To have an extreme sense of personal moral obligation
I don't know about extreme, but I do have a sense of moral obligation.

- To think that fulfillment is somewhere else
Totally. The grass is really always greener in my life. There's always something I could be better at and I beat myself up for not being amazing at everything on a regular basis.

- To cyclically become indecisive and seek others for reassurance
This is true, but it's not as excessive as it sounds. Usually, I want reassurance to know I'm on the right track - but I also disobey what other people think is prudent or beneficial in favor of my own path when I want to.

- To overuse imagination in searching for yourself
True this. I'm quite a fanciful person. As I said prior in the questionnaire, I tend to fantasize about my ideal life a lot, and I'm very imaginative in my own perception of myself.

- To avoid conflicts and asserting yourself
Nah.

- To consider yourself entirely self-sufficient
Wish I were more self-sufficient. I have a bit of an "I-don't-need-anyone" attitude, and I strive for my own independence, but I'm also quite scared of the big bad world and sometimes I just want to be a little kid again. Especially at the point in my life I'm at now, and getting ready to move to a different area of the country to go to college, it's pretty stressful.

Yeah. That's that. Leave your thoughts below. Oh, and be specific. K thanks.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
@Moya
I initially saw you as a 1, but what you've mentioned here doesn't sound core 1 at all. I've never seen much 3 in you. if you are a 3, it would have to be Sp 3 (you don't have a drop of Sexual 3 or Social 3 in you. that's for damn sure). Social 3 is more selfish, latter climb-y and political. Sexual 3 is more bubbly, traditionally feminine, conflict avoidant (they usually have a very strong line to 9) and, for lack of a better word, "plastic".

I was wondering if you could expand on this a bit
What do you hate?
Inauthenticity. Passive aggression. Spinelessness. Willful ignorance. Bigotry. Political conservativeness (sorry not sorry).
how do you handle political discussions IRL? for the most part, 3s avoid controversial topics because they stay away from anything which could make them look bad like the plague. Sexual 4 is a much more opinionated and doesn't give a shit if they stir things up. (on the contrary, they enjoy it). even then, I don't see Sp 3 either (they tend to be more dry, neutral, workaholic). there is too much fire in you, and so much "fuck you" energy in your post it's hilarious.

anyway, what you've written here sounds very Sexual 4w5 (the hate is strong in you :tongue: ). Sexual 4w3 is a bit glossier and more elitist. I wouldn't rule out Sexual 6 as a possibility, but it's one of those two for sure. I still think you are 1 fixed however.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was wondering if you could expand on this a bit

how do you handle political discussions IRL? for the most part, 3s avoid controversial topics because they stay away from anything which could make them look bad like the plague. Sexual 4 is a much more opinionated and doesn't give a shit if they stir things up. (on the contrary, they enjoy it). even then, I don't see Sp 3 either (they tend to be more dry, neutral, workaholic). there is too much fire in you, and so much "fuck you" energy in your post it's hilarious.
I'm very confrontational when it comes to political things. I'm sure it makes me really annoying to most people, but eh.
Well, here's a recent example; yesterday, I went out to get breakfast with a couple of my friends and one of them started talking bullshit about how police brutality and racial profiling against black kids and other minorities isn't "that bad", so I straight up told her how full of shit she was and talked about the Central Park Five, etc. When I stacked up some solid evidence against her, she immediately got extremely uncomfortable and pushy and asked me to stop talking about it because it's "inappropriate"
and "we're in public, this isn't table manners". I pointed out that no one was listening or paying attention and she said, "Yeah, but someone could," and I straight up told her that I think talking about social injustice is a lot more important to me than ruining some white family's breakfast. The look on her face was priceless.
anyway, what you've written here sounds very Sexual 4w5 (the hate is strong in you :tongue: ). Sexual 4w3 is a bit glossier and more elitist. I wouldn't rule out Sexual 6 as a possibility, but it's one of those two for sure. I still think you are 1 fixed however.
The hate really is quite strong in me. I pride myself on rationality and objectivity, but I'll be the first to admit that I'm an odd sort of zealot. I'm what people consider "open minded" in that I don't judge people by their identities or lifestyles, but by their actions, yet I'm completely intolerant of people whose views contrast too heavily with mine (i.e. not believing in marriage equality or women's rights). Natural human variance is fine -- I get that people will see the world differently than I do -- but if your morals and beliefs hinder other people from living their lives the way they want to, I think you're an asshole, end of story.

About 4w3 vs. 4w5 - I don't know, because I feel a really strong connection to 3. "Glossy" and "elitist" are two words that I do think describe me fairly well, especially in how I present myself to others. I'm very style-conscious and, appearance-wise, put together nicely and quite femininely (I never leave the house without a full face of makeup on, and I wear heels on a regular basis). But part of the reason I enjoy that so much is that it's such a contrast to my personality. While I may look girly and feminine, I open my mouth and I'm just this angry, ultra liberal logic-whore, and I find the 'shock factor' in that to be pretty amusing. And...I can be pretty elitist, but I usually keep it to myself. I'm honestly fairly modest most of the time, but those who know me well would deny that vehemently.

I understand why you think I'm 1-fixed. I go back and forth between 1 and 8 as my gut fix pretty frequently because I relate heavily to both. I'd settled on 8 as my gut fix though because of my sensitivity to vulnerability and my utter hatred for other people trying to control what I do. But in the same way, I contradict myself; I let people control what I do by giving their opinions of me too much value, yet I resist people controlling me because part of me feels like a "lone wolf" who needs to be independent.

As for 6 being my type/in my tritype, I've had a lot of people suggest that to me before, and I did type as 6 for several months but it never really felt quite right. A 5w6 fix could be possible, because I relate to 6 but I relate to 5 more. Plus I'm pretty sure that I'm a core heart type, so there's that.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm a 3w4, and I'm inclined to say that you're a 3 (I filled out the same questionnaire, and answered kind of similarly).
A 361 most likely, sp variant.

EDIT: I could totally tell that you were an Ni/Fi user. INTJ makes sense for you, 100%. Do you know your SLOAN/Big Five type? Also, you have a LOT of black-and-white thinking. You may want to bring that up to your psychologist who tests you for PTSD, along with your narcissistic and high-maintenance traits.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm a 3w4, and I'm inclined to say that you're a 3 (I filled out the same questionnaire, and answered kind of similarly).
A 361 most likely, sp variant.
Ew tho, I'm almost positive I'm sx/so because even though I'm somewhat misanthropic and can't be bothered to hang out with people outside of the internet I'm still drawn to them. Also I forget to eat sometimes. And...take care of myself in general.
Also I'm inclined to reject 361 sp because it sounds really boring and common - no offense meant to any 361 sp people.

EDIT: I could totally tell that you were an Ni/Fi user. INTJ makes sense for you, 100%. Do you know your SLOAN/Big Five type? Have you ever been tested for personality disorders, because you display a LOT of black-and-white/extreme thinking, and they're common in people who have PTSD and bad childhoods.
My SLOAN type is rLuE|I| and I've heavily considered some personality disorders like BPD and NPD but I've never had a formal diagnosis. I'm not really as much of a black-and-white thinker as I come across in my posts -- in fact, I pride myself on being able to see situations from multiple angles and I often give people the benefit of the doubt, but their actions still color my perception of them. For example, if you bitched me out because you just got fired from your job, I'd understand and consider that you were under a lot of stress but I'd still think you were an asshole, if that makes sense.
Again, I place a lot of emphasis on always being rational, even when under stress, and I would hate to be a hypocrite. I can't stand people who frequently let their emotions get the better of them, but I do understand that humans are flawed. Perhaps I seem overly judgmental in my speech, but I still try to treat people impartially unless they give me a reason to treat them otherwise. Eh...if that makes sense? I'm tired.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Ew tho, I'm almost positive I'm sx/so because even though I'm somewhat misanthropic and can't be bothered to hang out with people outside of the internet I'm still drawn to them. Also I forget to eat sometimes. And...take care of myself in general.
Also I'm inclined to reject 361 sp because it sounds really boring and common - no offense meant to any 361 sp people.

My SLOAN type is rLuE|I| and I've heavily considered some personality disorders like BPD and NPD but I've never had a formal diagnosis. I'm not really as much of a black-and-white thinker as I come across in my posts -- in fact, I pride myself on being able to see situations from multiple angles and I often give people the benefit of the doubt, but their actions still color my perception of them. For example, if you bitched me out because you just got fired from your job, I'd understand and consider that you were under a lot of stress but I'd still think you were an asshole, if that makes sense.
Again, I place a lot of emphasis on always being rational, even when under stress, and I would hate to be a hypocrite. I can't stand people who frequently let their emotions get the better of them, but I do understand that humans are flawed. Perhaps I seem overly judgmental in my speech, but I still try to treat people impartially unless they give me a reason to treat them otherwise. Eh...if that makes sense? I'm tired.
You do seem to have a 6 in your tritype, though. Or at least 6 wings.

Maybe not sp though.

Just the questionnaire seemed very black-and-white. Good to hear that you're not actually so binary in your thinking.

EDIT: Just wondering, how is your sense of self? And what do you fear more? Losing your identity, or losing your individuality? It's splitting hairs, yes, but it helps tell the difference between 3s and 4s.

What makes me think 3 is your part about saying that you feel best when you reach a goal or beat somebody at something. That is very 3w4.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You do seem to have a 6 in your tritype, though. Or at least 6 wings.

Maybe not sp though.

Just the questionnaire seemed very black-and-white. Good to hear that you're not actually so binary in your thinking.

EDIT: Just wondering, how is your sense of self? And what do you fear more? Losing your identity, or losing your individuality? It's splitting hairs, yes, but it helps tell the difference between 3s and 4s.

What makes me think 3 is your part about saying that you feel best when you reach a goal or beat somebody at something. That is very 3w4.

Prepare yourself for a horrible answer...
Losing my individuality would be losing my identity. They're inseparable. I know, I know, bad answer.
If it helps, I'd rather lose my reputation than my individuality, but I would sacrifice some of my authenticity for success. Some, not all. I'd never become totally phony or let myself be someone else's puppet.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Prepare yourself for a horrible answer...
Losing my individuality would be losing my identity. They're inseparable. I know, I know, bad answer.
If it helps, I'd rather lose my reputation than my individuality, but I would sacrifice some of my authenticity for success. Some, not all. I'd never become totally phony or let myself be someone else's puppet.
Hm.
I don't know then.
I'm thinking 4w3 then, though, because 3w4s are known to be "chameleon" types.

This is a good site.
Try reading it, it helped me realize that I was 358 not 835.

Descriptions of the Enneagram Types

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hm.
I don't know then.
I'm thinking 4w3 then, though, because 3w4s are known to be "chameleon" types.

This is a good site.
Try reading it, it helped me realize that I was 358 not 835.

Descriptions of the Enneagram Types
Thanks. I've read so many sites, though, I'm trying to get back to basics instead of muddling my understanding with more information. I'm great at research, just not so great at applying it to myself...

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
About 4w3 vs. 4w5 - I don't know, because I feel a really strong connection to 3. "Glossy" and "elitist" are two words that I do think describe me fairly well, especially in how I present myself to others. I'm very style-conscious and, appearance-wise, put together nicely and quite femininely (I never leave the house without a full face of makeup on, and I wear heels on a regular basis). But part of the reason I enjoy that so much is that it's such a contrast to my personality. While I may look girly and feminine, I open my mouth and I'm just this angry, ultra liberal logic-whore, and I find the 'shock factor' in that to be pretty amusing. And...I can be pretty elitist, but I usually keep it to myself. I'm honestly fairly modest most of the time, but those who know me well would deny that vehemently..
all of this sounds strikingly like a 4w5 sx/sp girl i know irl who is also narcissistic and has anxiety and psychosomatic illnesses.

i would bet money that you are a 4 rather than 3 as a core type.

godspeed you black emperor is a very 4 band (if ur name is after the song moya), your avatar is very 4ish, your signature and sig picture all scream 4.

don't you read peoples posts in the 4 forums and think "these people can understand me".

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
all of this sounds strikingly like a 4w5 sx/sp girl i know irl who is also narcissistic and has anxiety and psychosomatic illnesses.

i would bet money that you are a 4 rather than 3 as a core type.

godspeed you black emperor is a very 4 band (if ur name is after the song moya), your avatar is very 4ish, your signature and sig picture all scream 4.

don't you read peoples posts in the 4 forums and think "these people can understand me".
My name is after the GY!BE song, thanks for noticing! My avatar is from the latest Antlers album, which is also hella 4, now that I think about it.

I do relate to other 4s, but I also don't relate to a lot -- like being uncontrollably emotional, valuing emotions over rationality, unable to see past their own tortured soul...and so forth. That might have to do with the fact that almost all 4s are IxFx types, though, so I'd be an outlier in that regard.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I still think you are 1 fixed however.
Okay, I'll bite. I'm pretty sick of going back and forth between 8 and 1 as my gut type, so -
Tell me, Swordsman, how does one properly distinguish between 8 and 1 as fixes, in your opinion?

·
MOTM Jan 2014
11,128 Posts
As a 4 myself, I will butt in here and mention that I don't tend to think any humans anywhere can understand me as well as my cat used to. There is one person I've met in my life who I feel can understand me - my conclusion is that this person is from my home planet. (And I knew this the moment I first encountered this person.) On my home planet we understand what is essential about each other effortlessly. I want people to understand me but I don't see how they could when we're not even the same species. I am not something that can be explained in words, hard as I do try to share my depths through music, pictures, writing and other art. I've given up on looking for a partner who can understand me because my time on Earth is short and this is too much to ask. I can love someone for who he is and appreciate his effort to understand and succumb to mutual admiration. But feeling understood is a rare thing for me, even if I feel 'seen' in occasional moments.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As a 4 myself, I will butt in here and mention that I don't tend to think any humans anywhere can understand me as well as my cat used to. There is one person I've met in my life who I feel can understand me - my conclusion is that this person is from my home planet. (And I knew this the moment I first encountered this person.) On my home planet we understand what is essential about each other effortlessly. I want people to understand me but I don't see how they could when we're not even the same species. I am not something that can be explained in words, hard as I do try to share my depths through music, pictures, writing and other art. I've given up on looking for a partner who can understand me because my time on Earth is short and this is too much to ask. I can love someone for who he is and appreciate his effort to understand and succumb to mutual admiration. But feeling understood is a rare thing for me, even if I feel 'seen' in occasional moments.
Sometimes I feel like I'm some sort of strange other species masquerading as a regular human being. It always astounds me when I hear other people tell me their first impression of me; generally they don't find me very odd at all, and that always shocks me, because how do they not see right through me? The most I get is "intimidating" - but still very much a normal person. So I suppose I can relate.
I don't want to be understood, though, because that's too self-revealing. I need to have my secrets. Will I still be interesting after all the mystery is gone? That's one thing I fear.
I can 100% relate to the "home planet" thing, though. I feel a kindred spirit towards other people who seem similar to me in certain specific ways. I think I freak them out because I automatically feel friendship towards them even if we just met. Pretty rare, though - I can only think of a handful (or less) of people who make me feel this way.

@Moya
Have you considered type 7 at all?

I see 7 all over your questionnaire. I can elaborate if you'd like.
Uh...I've had it suggested to me a few times, which prompted me to look into it myself and then decide that maybe a wing is as 7 as I'll get. But please, I'd love to hear your elaboration.

·
MOTM Jan 2014
11,128 Posts
Sometimes I feel like I'm some sort of strange other species masquerading as a regular human being. It always astounds me when I hear other people tell me their first impression of me; generally they don't find me very odd at all, and that always shocks me, because how do they not see right through me? The most I get is "intimidating" - but still very much a normal person. So I suppose I can relate.
I don't want to be understood, though, because that's too self-revealing. I need to have my secrets. Will I still be interesting after all the mystery is gone? That's one thing I fear.
I can 100% relate to the "home planet" thing, though. I feel a kindred spirit towards other people who seem similar to me in certain specific ways. I think I freak them out because I automatically feel friendship towards them even if we just met. Pretty rare, though - I can only think of a handful (or less) of people who make me feel this way.
I've actually heard this from other 4s, about the 'mystery' - but they are all 4w5s, interestingly. For me - I don't really care about maintaining mystery because it seems I'm hard enough to understand even without it.

I don't think I'm masquerading as a normal person.. nobody has ever suggested that to me. I'm not extremely odd like .. in a "Marilyn Manson" way.. but apparently I'm quirky or intense enough that people usually get the impression they haven't dealt with anyone like me before. ?? I think?

Uh...I've had it suggested to me a few times, which prompted me to look into it myself and then decide that maybe a wing is as 7 as I'll get. But please, I'd love to hear your elaboration.
Cool. I'll explain asap.. I'm a bit too exhausted now to do a good analysis, but there's a lot of complete bullshit about type 7 in the books. I had 7 suggested to me too.. and I thought.. WTF!!!! but once I knew more about 7 I did end up realizing it's my head fix, and also understanding why my typing thread seemed 7ish. In conclusion I am not a 7, but those traits were much more there than I believed before finding out more deeply about the type.

I addressed a few misconceptions here,

http://personalitycafe.com/enneagram-personality-theory-forum/382002-animals-enneagram-type-comparisons-common-misconceptions.html#post12182194

Please check this out :) :)

But I will elaborate on where I saw it in your post when I'm more awake.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts