Personality Cafe banner

Seriously, what gives you energy?

[INFP] 
1K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  twistedblade056 
#1 ·
I feel like I'm about to explode from boredom.
They say an introvert gains energy from being alone, deep conversations, etc. Problem is I'm just as bored in these situations as well.
Did a degree in Engineering just for the career prospects, bored the life out of me. Tried sales for 6 months, bored the life out of me. Tried creative writing, bored the life out of me.
Even drugs to improve motivation like amphetamines seem to have no effect on me.

Any advice?

#2 ·
Try love

#9 ·
Just because you're an introvert doesn't mean you'll be instantly engaged in introverted things. Like, there are tons and tons of books I've tried reading that I just cannot get into. Or, stories I've tried to write that I'm just not feeling.

What gives me energy is physical work. While I adore being lazy and reading/writing/thinking, I still feel physically sluggish and lethargic afterwards. I need something to make my body move, and it can be something as simple as cooking and waltzing about the kitchen, or more typical like going on a run and enjoying the scenery. I may not always enjoy it, but it makes me feel more alive and focused in order to do my more introverted things.

I don't like having a hectic, pressured life, but I still want things to do in it. I can't stand the exact same scenery every day, the exact same things every day. Personally, I'm on spring break at the moment and I've just sat around my bedroom in my apartment and I'm going a little insane. Once it warms up this afternoon I'm going to force myself to go for a jog.

Reactions: entheos
#11 ·
CAFFEINE! :D

MUSIC!! :D :D

SOMEONE WHO NEEDS ME!!! :D :D :D

Seriously, I have to separate my hobbies from my work because the surest way to make me lose interest in writing is to assign me a writing project. So I make sure to have work time and play time, and during play time I pursue whatever happens to fascinate me at the moment. Then when it's work time I'm re-energized and able to devote my attention to the people depending on me.

It's taken a long time for me to figure out (1) I need to be responsible for my own emotional management, which means (2) I get to decide how I spend my time. Everyone's ideal balance is different, but I think INFPs tend to equilibrate in a region of the spectrum that is, shall I say, farther away from "workaholism" than most? But once we give ourselves permission to pursue that equilibrium it gets easier to notice when "Hey, I need more stimulation!" or "HEY. I need A LOT LESS stimulation right now. A LOT LESS." :tongue:

But when I really need to get going, three cups of coffee and a rockin' tune generally do the trick!

Good luck finding what works :)

#13 ·
I have no idea what to suggest since I don't know the inner workings of your heart and mind. Occasionally I get into moods where nothing I normally find interesting sounds fun to me, but it usually passes within a day. I think having a depressed or hopeless feeling can sort of filter out the good stuff and leave everything looking bland or repulsive. I personally can't imagine not being able to find anything that interests me and makes me excited to learn, think about, or do it.

As far as introversion and 'recharging; goes, what fills me up and revitalizes me is....

beautiful scenery, looking at photography or traveling or going on hikes with my camera in hand revitalizes me, especially forests and green things - they feed my soul

cuddling, whether it's with someone I love or just pillows and blankets and stuffed animals, feeling cozy and comfortable really helps me to recharge. Also things like putting on my most comfy pajamas and wrapping up in a fuzzy blanket and curling up on my armchair with my warm computer in my lap. I need these cozy times, but hugs and affection especially serve to recharge me. Honestly I sometimes feel like I'm brimming over with energy after a good hug.

stirring, epic, awe-inspiring music, especially music that sounds triumphant will energize me, while music that sounds epic will give me inspiration and generally a better mood and outlook on life, it makes me feel alive.

imagining fantasy worlds brings me a sense of wonder, anticipation, joy, and generally gives me a more positive outlook because it's filling up my mental experiences with things that aren't depressing, with things that are new and different. Much of this effect is also because of the beautiful scenery once again, but I suppose it's also just exploring ideas of other possibilities and just creating. Being able to focus my imagination to bring out details and make it a vivid experience inside is honestly where I feel like I'm 'living' more than when I'm doing stuff in 'real life' and I think it is because it's being creative rather than just taking care of business or going through motions. I really feel like my habit of always slipping into my imagination to dream up beautiful places and create adventures for characters has kept me sane all these years in the face of a relatively predictable and often ugly external environment.

reading a book with characters I really enjoy and with a satisfying ending will often leave me full of energy so I'm bouncing around - because being happy is energizing. Sometimes my love for a character (and also for real life friends) will just make me swell up with bubbly joy. Good movies will do this too.

Thinking about something, or reading about things, that bring me to a better understanding, where I have a moment of everything connecting and making sense definitely gives me a sense of satisfaction in life.

#14 ·
As soon as I read the OP I thought it would be depression. I'm sorry you're going through it.

When I saw someone for depression, the first thing they got me to do was start exercising again. In my case, running or jogging rates pretty low on the list of things that make me feel good. So, I signed up for a dance class a week - sure it was more expensive, but it's something that I love to do, probably because it engages my creative side as well. Obviously once a week isn't going to do wonders for my overall fitness levels, but it made me leave the house and get out and move once a week, which is an improvement on "hardly ever". And if I got bored with the class I'd just switch to another one - the school I went to was pretty flexible like that.

Not to say you should start dancing, lol. But try looking for something that you can at least pretend to be excited about. I maintain that the worst thing about depression isn't the low moods; it's that it zaps all the motivation out of you. It's the lack of feeling anything at all.

As an INFP it's easy to say "just engage your Ne!" but as you probably already know, mental illness complicates that. So while I'd definitely recommend the former (learning a new skill, going for walks in a new place, trying to meet some new people), I also think that the depression needs to be tackled as well. So exercise, good diet, regular sleep patterns, therapy (at least I believe that talk therapy should be tried before medication - depending on where you're from that might be easier or harder than it was for me), medication if necessary.

I think it's a bit of a simplification to say that an introvert gains energy from being alone. We need time alone to recharge after social interaction, but all of the introverts I know - especially the Feelers! - get lonely if they don't have good people close to them.

As for what gives me energy, I guess novelty comes pretty close to the top. Even things I love become boring after a while, if I fall into a routine. I love good conversations with one or two (maximum 3) loved ones. I love good food and drink, especially if I don't have to prepare it myself. I love learning about things I'm interested in. I love music and dance. I love nature, and I'll even go out in it if the weather's good. XD

#15 · (Edited)
Coffee and seducing men. It's difficult to seduce men when I have coffee breath, but I still try.

Engineering? Damn, job prospects aren't as great in engineering as people think. It's like how people think there is a shortage of nurses. There totally isn't. There's not enough nurses working in most hospitals, sure, but there's not a surplus of actual nursing jobs, esp. for grads. I wish kids would stop being fed this bull in high school.

I almost went for a degree in Radiological Technology until I met an out-of-work Rad Tech working in a coffee shop.

I realized I'd become addicted to how pragmatic the title sounded...and the sighs of approval I got when I told people I wanted to pursue medical imaging.

"You're so smart and realistic to not be pursuing your dreams!"

"Thanks :happy:"

But nothing is safe. Nothing is secure. So you'd better make sure you're working toward things you actually love. When I realized this it took about two years to get in touch with what it is I love. I had no idea who I was, what gifts I had to give the world, or what I cared about. I was so detached from myself. This might be what's happening to you. You've abandoned yourself somewhere in the past when people told that you and your passions weren't acceptable or realistic.

It's true that some things aren't realistic but let me tell you, after being proven wrong by many people over the years, a hell of a lot is realistic as long as you have patience and work hard.

All employment is hard to get so you might as well study something that's interesting to you, no-holds-barred. Now is your time.

My best advice, start experimenting with stuff. Not drugs. Endeavors. You tried creative writing and you were bored? So what!? Writing is a lonely activity and highly introspective activity. Maybe that's not what you need right now. Maybe you need to get outside of yourself and engaged with life. Perhaps try to master a style of dance or visual art. Whatever you do, don't beat yourself up. Approach things as fun and don't get too attached to outcomes. Having objectives is useful in life because it gets you moving...but grasp the objectives gently. Be ready to let go of an objective when something truly better comes along.

It is your birthright to feel okay and have a bit of fun each day. Anyone who told you differently is emotionally disturbed.

"The day we stop playing is the day we stop learning." - William Glasser.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.