Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do 7s perceive fear? Do you like to be scared, or do you seek-out scary situations? Do you enjoy scary movies?

I'm curious, because for myself, I am afraid of a lot of things, mostly things of the "unknown" if that makes any sense. However, in situations involving physically being around people, I am hardly ever scared. A specific example is that I work in the mental health field, and walking onto the units at the psychiatric facilities, I feel completely at ease around these men who are incarcerated due to crimes related with their mental illness. Men, who at any moment would assualt anyone in the room if they were so inclined. Yet, I can't watch a scary movie, I can't swim in dark water, or enter a dark room, lol, it's sad, but true. I'm a grown woman!

Anyway, being the thrill seekers we are, do you seek-out situations involving fear to get excitement?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I try to escape fear, I feel like it prevents me from giving it my all.

I'm scared of being cut off and not discovering my potential.
I'm also scared of heights even though I rock climb

Most of all I'm scared of failure, and I try so hard not to be, but its still in me.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I definitely seek it out. I guess I like the challenge of overcoming it, especially if its an irrational fear.

I do roller coasters, I do rock climbing and other slightly extreme sports. Scary movies? I just find them to be downright hilarious.

·
Banned
2,078 Posts
I get over fears little by little or all at once. Sometimes they just don't want to go away though, and you just have to let things happen on their own.

I have this theory that when you force yourself to get rid of one fear, another fear will pop up. And the new fear can be even more obnoxious than the first, so you might as well stop obsessing with trying to get over your fear and be glad it isn't too debilitating.

Seriously.

*type 4-5-7*

1,237 Posts
I'm scared of so many things that it's like being scared of nothing at all.
But I like the feeling I get when I'm scared of something, like the anticipation, butterflies, etc.
I went skydiving last summer. It was terrifying and absolutely brilliant in every way...

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
When I was a kid I was definitely scared of the dark. My imagination would cause me to get really freaked out by it. I've always enjoyed scary movies/books... I was an avid reader of the Goosebumps series and am a HUGE Stephen King fan. Most "scary" movies aren't that scary so much as they are startling. I am more easily startled than scared. I used to have a mild fear of heights, but over the years it has somehow managed to get worse. Last time I tried to go to the mountains with a friend we had only gotten about a third of the way up when I started feeling unbelievably anxious, so much so that we had to turn around.

I still have a fear of the unknown, but most of the time my optimism helps me get through it. Like when I read a job description that "almost" fits me, but there are one or two tasks that I don't feel confident about. I will think and think and think on it, feel the apprehension, then realize I'm just scared to try something new. However, then when I get the job I find out it isn't as scary as it sounded and it is fine.

Fear is from the ego, and I have found that it is usually when I am scared it's because I'm scared I will fail. I have gotten over this in some areas of my life, but not all. Hang in there, there will always be an unknown, but if you move through the fear you might surprise yourself and find out the unknown holds amazing possibilities :laughing:

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I don't like rats or rollercoasters. Those two irrational fears are the only things I know I'm scared. Everything else I seek out. I like the challenge.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I don't like rats or rollercoasters. Those two irrational fears are the only things I know I'm scared. Everything else I seek out. I like the challenge.
Deja Vu: Being scared of roller coasters is not irrational. I almost got killed on one that flipped over when I was 5. No kidding. lol Needless to say, they freak me out now too.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I dont know if I'm as scared as I dont get it. I've been on them and just had a very plain, stone-cold face. Its just not fun. I start looking around wondering why everyone else is juiced while I'm wondering if I'm going to throw up at the end of all this moving.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Deja Vu: Being scared of roller coasters is not irrational. I almost got killed on one that flipped over when I was 5. No kidding. lol Needless to say, they freak me out now too.
Woah... that's crazy. Some of my scariest nightmares have involved a roller coaster crashing :|

·
Registered
255 Posts
I dont know if I'm as scared as I dont get it. I've been on them and just had a very plain, stone-cold face. Its just not fun. I start looking around wondering why everyone else is juiced while I'm wondering if I'm going to throw up at the end of all this moving.
Different strokes for different folks, I guess? I think I'd love them if it weren't for my bad experience.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hmm, I used to be scared to do a lot of things. But I've always loved scary movies. I've always said I love getting scared shitless. But I used to only be okay with being scared mentally. When it came to being scared to get hurt, I was terrified of everything. I was irrationally afraid of fire, the ocean, heights, and ghosts.. Well, ghosts I guess you can cross off of physical injuries. XD
Anyway, by experiencing these things and thinking about them, I got over them. I realized the ghost stuff was bullshit. I swam in riptides in Ocean City and I love the water now.
I had to light matches in chem lab last year, but I'm still slightly afraid of fire (maybe because I can't control it).
My friends forced me to go on Superman at Six Flags in 8th grade and I almost chickened out, but when we got off, I wanted to go on again. The adrenaline rush was amazing.
Then last summer I hiked up Mt. Mansfield in Vermont. I was still afraid of heights and it was my first hike ever. I cried half way up to where we stopped for lunch. I was terrified. My explanation was that gravity was going to cause me to roll down the mountain and die. -_________- Lmfaoo. It was a religious vacation, so I think willpower and prayer and my need to "win" challenges (for lack of a better word), as well as the help from my friends and my need to prove that I could do it. I made it all the way to the chin, and I haven't been afraid of heights since. The week after, I went on every rollercoaster in Six Flags (except Kingda Ka - I don't have a death wish!). Since then, I've been wanted to try new things. I love to hike, and I don't mind jumping into freezing streams next to waterfalls (also in Vermont), and I love showing off my football skills. The next thing I wanna learn is snowboarding.
Oh and I used to be terrified of the dark..I'm really only a little creeped out by the dark when I'm the only one awake in my house. I get spooked occasionally. XD

Reactions: possiBri

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I use to be afraid of death and pain, I also use to have trypanophobia (fear of needles). I no longer hold any of those fears, or really any fears for that matter.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I seek out fear, I love horror movies, my favorite books are thrillers and horror. Stephen King and Dean Koontz are great.
When I was young I was deathly afraid of the dark and being alone, but now I seek out these things to see what I can handle.

Reactions: possiBri

·
Registered
75 Posts
I seek out fear, especially the deepest ones. it's like some emotional/mental masochism thing.
I'm often not aware that my interests are the things i fear until i get nightmares about them...then again it could be the other way around.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
I suppose I'm scared of several irrational things
- hard work: as stupid as it sounds, hard work kinda scares me. whenever I have to do anything important, I really have to bite the bullet or I just won't do it
- pain: this might be more self preservation, but experiencing pain causes me great fear and anger. someone intentionally hurting me physically (accidents happen, I'm not talking about these) is something I take VERY personally
- discomfort: not as much as pain, but I still find uncomfortable situations to be deeply unsettling
- routine: perhaps this is partially being ENFP, but the idea of having to do almost anything for the rest of my life is kinda terrifying
- poverty: the idea of being poor, scares me shitless.
- being under someone else's control: I don't consider myself alive unless I am free to exist and make my own decisions and follow my own agenda
- being part of any kind of social hierarchy: the idea of doing something "because I said so" is immensely confusing to me. the idea of commanding others to do so is confusing as well. perhaps this has to do with being an Informing Style Personality (ENFP is Extraverted and Informing, also known as "Get Things Going"), but it's much more natural to me if everyone just does their thing and we cooperate by giving suggestions and exchanging information.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
I seek out fear, especially the deepest ones. it's like some emotional/mental masochism thing.
I'm often not aware that my interests are the things i fear until i get nightmares about them...then again it could be the other way around.
perhaps you're a counter phobic 6

·
Registered
75 Posts
perhaps you're a counter phobic 6
hmm never heard of that.
-reads up-
Oh. I'm still not very clear on what this should really mean (enlightenment please, anyone? :confused:) but I do identify somewhat with it, just that to me I don't desire to identify with my group. I've always been proud of my individuality...but I do think I have loads and loads of fear and anxiousness buried in my psyche. Or could it be my subconscious telling me to stop blindly doing stupid things I had no clue about? Hmm.
I'm quite fascinated by symbolic stuff and the unknown (like mythological symbols, the supernatural, etc) but I keep getting nightmares involving these symbols...I'm not really a fan of dream psychology lol but yeah I do wonder what this could imply.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
hmm never heard of that.
-reads up-
Oh. I'm still not very clear on what this should really mean (enlightenment please, anyone? :confused:) but I do identify somewhat with it, just that to me I don't desire to identify with my group. I've always been proud of my individuality...but I do think I have loads and loads of fear and anxiousness buried in my psyche. Or could it be my subconscious telling me to stop blindly doing stupid things I had no clue about? Hmm.
I'm quite fascinated by symbolic stuff and the unknown (like mythological symbols, the supernatural, etc) but I keep getting nightmares involving these symbols...I'm not really a fan of dream psychology lol but yeah I do wonder what this could imply.
If you aren't quite sure if you're a phobic 6, counter-phobic 6 or 7 with a 6 wing, it's always helpful to look at the motivations and fears of each type. Based on what you said in your first post about fear actually made me think it possible you're a type 6 (cp), perhaps with a 7 wing. I think it's extremely important to weigh the fears, motivations, and arrows (path of dis/integration) of each type you're considering in order to really figure out what type fits you best.

Check out this info:

http://www.eclecticenergies.com/enneagram/type6.php said:
The truly confounding element when it comes to typing Sixes is that there are two fundamentally different strategies that Sixes adopt for dealing with fear. Some Sixes are basically phobic. Phobic Sixes are generally compliant, affiliative and cooperative. Other Sixes adopt the opposite strategy of dealing with fear, and become counterphobic, essentially taking a defiant stand against whatever they find threatening. This is the Six who takes on authority or who adopts a dare devil attitude towards physical danger. Counterphobic Sixes can be agressive and, rather than looking for authorities, can adopt a rebellious or anti-authoritarian demeanor. Counterphobic Sixes are often unaware of the fear that motivates their actions. In fact, Sixes in general, tend to be blind to the extent of their own anxiety. Because it is the constant back drop to all of their emotions, Sixes are frequently unaware of its existence, as they have nothing with which to contrast it.
Basic Fear: Of being without support and guidance
Basic Desire: To have security and support
Enneagram Six with a Five-Wing: "The Defender"
Enneagram Six with a Seven-Wing: "The Buddy"

Key Motivations: Want to have security, to feel supported by others, to have certitude and reassurance, to test the attitudes of others toward them, to fight against anxiety and insecurity.

The Meaning of the Arrows (in brief)
Direction of Disintegration (stress), dutiful Sixes suddenly become competitive and arrogant at Three.
Direction of Integration (growth), fearful, pessimistic Sixes become more relaxed and optimistic, like healthy Nine.

Type 7--

Basic Fear: Of being deprived and in pain
Basic Desire: To be satisfied and content—to have their needs fulfilled
Enneagram Seven with a Six-Wing: "The Entertainer"
Enneagram Seven with an Eight-Wing: "The Realist"

Key Motivations: Want to maintain their freedom and happiness, to avoid missing out on worthwhile experiences, to keep themselves excited and occupied, to avoid and discharge pain.

The Meaning of the Arrows (in brief)
Direction of Disintegration (stress), scattered Sevens suddenly become perfectionistic and critical at One.
Direction of Integration (growth), gluttonous, scattered Sevens become more focused and fascinated by life, like healthy Fives.

Hopefully that will help you pinpoint what fits best for you! =]

·
Registered
5 Posts
I seek out thrills but avoid things that I am actually afraid of. And my fears vary from somewhat normal to pretty much odd... I'm afraid of spiders, garden gnomes, bumper cars, breathing helium out of balloons, being lost and abandoned at the mall (there must be a childhood thing attached to that one.. cuz it's highly irrational at this point).
That said.. I like thrills from roller coasters, bungee jumping, sky diving, etc. The freaky butterflys in your stomach, stomach in your throat kinda stuff gets me all excited!
I don't do scary movies though... just never have... I guess I would say I don't like to be "scared" but I like to be "thrilled." I think there is a difference.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts