Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Iron Fist
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sex Makes You Smarter- Can 'Virtual Sex' Do The Same?
By Andrea Kuszewski

[..] Basically, you can get the neural benefits of engaging in a pleasurable activity without actually having to do anything other than trick your brain into thinking it is getting the reward. This can be done via conditioning or paired association learning, like in the mentioned ICSS study, but what about more technologically induced ways? Like Virtual Reality? [..]

Discuss :)

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Okay, so I'm basically a person that has been trained pavlovian style. I can orgasm just by sight, without touching, etc.

However, every time I go back to the real thing and have sex with a real person, I am reminded how much more awesome it is.

I don't care how good this technology gets, we can cyber and virtual away all went want and fool ourselves that it's awesome. But doing it with another living and breathing physical person is still going to remain on the top of the hierarchy as far as the best mind blowing sexual experiences.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Don't think virtual sex have all the same results as real sex. Can't think too well right now. But I am sure that people coming up with the technology will be over looking various little factors that will most likely create a deficiency of the effects that real sex would have.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
When I used to watch star trek growing up, the number 1 technology I always wanted was the holodeck.. oh my god the things I would have done! However, I agree, there can be no substitute for the connection of physical sex. There is such a profound difference between jerking off and sex, as the motivations are so different. The former releasing my own sexual energy, and physical sex being the more altruistic of the two and exploring hers. I don't think any computer program can simulate true altruism for the obvious reasons of not being real.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Not to sound pessimistic, but I really doubt that sex has such huge effects on improving the brain that it actually matters. Just like yeah, sex burns fat, but not enough that it actually matters or yeah it improves relaxation and reduces stress, but its not gonna make you're life all happy roses (the relationship might do that to you though, beware). Besides, we would literally be encouraging people to have sex in certain circumstances, especially individuals at high-level intellectual competitive sports. People at that level of competition train their brains, and I don't think if it had any substantial benefits at all that coaches would shy from encouraging at least those with SOs to spend a little more time in the sack.

Sex is relational, and though it has general health-inducing and life-bettering benefits across the board, they typically don't last and don't make huge splashes in the overall general wellfare, that's not the point. It's a bridge-building experience, purposed with strengthening relationships and increasing intimacy to its ultimate level in a very physical manner. Oh, and it makes babies. Yes it is an intense physical experience where your body is hitting all nines on a number of different systems, including your nervous system, so of course your mind is in overdrive for a time, with synapses firing faster and new pathways being created, because its a new experience every time. However, I submit that it really doesn't have that much effect on the mind since that's not its purpose anyway, so it really doesn't matter whether virtual sex takes place or not.

I will say this, though, that the actual act of sex, being primarily relational, will increase any benefits that sex brings because a partner is present. Its an interpersonal experience at that point, and anything short of that is incomplete sex, so of course it will be more intense when the actual nasty be done- even if the benefits are still so minuscule that it doesn't matter. It's kinda like saying which will dent my car worse when dropped from the top of a tall building, a grain of sand or a speck of dust?:tongue:

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
By Andrea Kuszewski

[..] Basically, you can get the neural benefits of engaging in a pleasurable activity without actually having to do anything other than trick your brain into thinking it is getting the reward. This can be done via conditioning or paired association learning, like in the mentioned ICSS study, but what about more technologically induced ways? Like Virtual Reality? [..]

Discuss :)
I don't know. Of course you can,I know how it feels...but I think real sex is always winning over cyber sex. Cyber sex is a delayed flight, something you have when you can't aspire to other thing. It's okay, and that doesn't mean it has to be underrated, I DON'T, it has to be taken seriously,
but would I really speak dirty in the mail to my man if we didn't live so far away?
in fact, he's not even my man. I just like him. Because I like other person here (everyone xD)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.