Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't see any of this online so I decided to type it out. May do some other subtypes later. This is from Beatrice Chestnut's book "The Complete Enneagram: 27 Paths to Greater Self-Knowledge". Enjoy. :)

Sexual Fours

In the Sexual Four subtype, the inner motivation is envy, and its manifestation as competition. These Fours don't feel consciously envious so much as they feel competitive as a way of muting the pain associated with envy. If they can compete against another person they perceive as having more than they do and win, they can feel better about themselves.

Sexual Fours believe it's good to be the best. Most people want to present a good image to others, but Sexual Fours don't care very much about image management or being liked. For them, it's better to be superior. They are highly competitive, and their intense focus on competition takes the form of actively striving to show that they are the best.

People with this subtype tend to have an “all or nothing” belief related to success: if success is not all theirs, they are left with nothing. This pattern leads to excesses related to their efforts to achieve success, and it also generates feelings of hate.

Sexual Fours are usually arrogant, despite having an underlying sense of inferiority. In the face of the pain of feeling misunderstood, an arrogant attitude is adopted as overcompensation- a means of being recognized. These Fours like being part of “chosen” group, and they can be very elitist. They may refuse to feel indebted to anyone, and they may have the sense that they have the exclusive right to feel offended by the lack of consideration of others. Any criticism or reproach is seen as an affront or disqualification.

Envious anger dominates the expression of this subtype's unconscious instinctual impulses. Sexual Fours' deeper instinctual motivation is about a refusal to suffer the pain brought about by envy, and a need to reduce suffering by projecting the responsibility for meeting their needs onto others and minimizing others' accomplishments in comparison with their own.

Sexual Fours “make others suffer” because they feel that they have been made to suffer and so need some sort of compensation. They may seek to hurt or punish others as an unconscious way of repudiating or minimizing their own pain. Naranjo observes that this tendency of this Four can be summed up by the phrase, “Hurt people hurt people.” Externalizing pain helps them ease their inner sense of inferiority. Their relationship to suffering can thus best be understood as a refusal to suffer. This gets expressed as an active insistence on their needs being validated and met. (They want with anger.) More shameless than shameful, Sexual Fours are vocal about expressing their needs; they rebel against any shame connected to their desires. This subtype follows the life philosophy that “the squeaky wheel gets the grease.”

When others experience Sexual Fours as demanding, this can lead to a pattern of rejection and anger: Sexual Fours get mad when others don't meet their needs, but their demanding nature causes people to avoid or reject them, and then they get angry about being rejected. This type can thus get trapped in a vicious cycle when rejection leads to protest and protest leads to rejection.

The Sexual Four is more assertive and angrier than the other subtypes. Naranjo refers to this Four as the “mad Four” as opposed to the “sad” (Social) Four. These Fours can be very outspoken with their anger because expression of anger is their way of defending against painful feelings. When they unconsciously turn their pain into anger, they don't have to feel their pain anymore.

These Fours may even seek to hurt or punish others as a way of repudiating or minimizing their underlying pain. They feel justified in pointing to others as the source of their deprivation or frustration, which serves as both a distraction from their own role in their suffering and a plea for help and understanding.

Naranjo says that this Four subtype can be the angriest personality among the Enneagram types. They may express envious anger as a way to establish or assert power when they feel inferior at a deeper level, which can be a way to manipulate situations to their advantage. (This kind of anger was the impulse between the French revolution: “I envy the rich, so I'll organize a revolution.”) And Sexual Fours can be very impulsive. They want things immediately and have little tolerance for frustration.

Naranjo calls this type “Competition,” and Ichazo called it “Hate.” While this type can be both hateful and competitive, it is important to remember that the competition and hate expressed by this Four represents a deeper need to project their sense of suffering and inadequacy outward. The painful sense of envy felt by the Sexual Four can motivate a wishing with anger, or a sense of “Ive got to get what I need, both to convince myself that my needs aren't shameful, and to feel better about myself with respect to others.” Their competitiveness and anger is a compensation for and a defense against the hurt they feel underneath.

These Fours like and need emotional intensity. Without intensity, everything can seem unbearably dull and boring. When Sexual Fours want somebody's love, they can be very direct about asking for what they need, or can become “extraordinary”- make themselves seem special and attractive and superior- in an effort to attract it. In line with their natural intensity (fueled by both their heart-based emotional temperament and their sexual instinct), these individuals tend to be more present and available in relationships because they don't deny or avoid many of the factors that can inhibit others relationally, like anger, neediness, competitiveness, arrogance, and having to be liked all the time. However, at times it may prove difficult for them to maintain a loving attitude because they confuse sweetness and benevolence with being false or insincere.

Sexual Fours are most likely to be confused with Type Eights or Sexual Twos. Like Eights, they have easier access to anger than most types, but they differ from Eights in the wider range of emotions they regularly feel. Naranjo points out that Eights often don't need to get angry, whereas this Four frequently feels misunderstood or envious, so they may show anger more often. They can also look like Sexual “Aggressive-Seductive” Twos (because both types can be aggressive and seductive in relationships) but the Sexual Two is more oriented toward pleasing others.

Roger, a Sexual Four, speaks:

"The all-too-cumbersome online tests often report I am an Eight or a Three, but I know full well that I am a Sexual Four. My greatest friend in the world, my Type Five elder sister, once leaned over at an Enneagram workshop and underlined the word “hostility” in a description of the Sexual Four with her finger and told me, “You need to work on that.” I had to listen to her feedback because she has known me my entire life and so must be a reliable reporter. Of course, I had a finger to offer her regarding the work I thought she might have yet to address in her own life.

Instead of feeling anything vulnerable in my personal life, I will often go to anger. Instead of experiencing myself as ordinary or less-than in my professional life, I will often go to competition, aggression, or even hostility. I don't relate to the descriptions of the over-sensitive, complaining (Social) Four: I go after my enemies or perceived adversaries who I feel threatened by directly rather than hanging out too long in discomfort. I also go after my objects of desire directly, and there are many. It may seem Threeish and Eightish that I need to be on top professional and personally. But although I pride myself on being direct and honest rather than nice, I know I am not an Eight because my Focus of Attention and my Achilles Heel is definitely Envy; it invigorates me to go after what I want (or take down the person who got what I didn't get). I know I am not a Three because I take more pride in being one-of-a-kind than in being successful. I own that I can come across as arrogant and even hostile if I feel threatened. This has not always served me well in either personal or professional relationships and this kind of response saddens me. Luckily, I have learned the value of staying with the softer feelings, experiencing my vulnerability, being with a great partner, and being one amongst many."

Specific Work For The Sexual Four on the Path from Vice to Virtue

Sexual fours can travel the path from envy to equanimity by strengthening their ability to be with their own suffering without needing to externalize it or project it onto others. If you are a Sexual Four, you can grow by seeing all your emotions as equally valuable and important, whether you are feeling envious and angry or sad and vulnerable. Your tender feelings are as important to consider as your competitive impulses. For you, equanimity means recognizing the value of who you are, even if you aren’t the best or superior to anyone else. No one has to prove themselves to be the best to be worthy- we are all inherently good enough. Allow yourself to see your anger, frustration, and impatience as important clues to deeper feelings of pain that you might be experiencing or relegating to unconsciousness. By allowing yourself to experience all your feelings and remembering they are all important reflections of the emotional truth of who you are, you can develop more compassion for yourself and others and allow yourself to be more open to receiving love and acceptance from the people around you.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
@Ollyx2OxenFree

Thanks for posting.

It all seems negative/unhealthy. Is that because that's how the book presents it or is it because you just didn't post the positive aspects from the book?

For those who type as sx4:
Do you identify with all this? And if so, are you 4w3?

From my own perspective, I'm rather disappointed in the description because it seems to point to just how differently Naranjo's subtype approach is from the stacking approach (sx 4 as a variation of type vs. sx 4 as a variation of sx). It really seems to complicate things for me - it's like you have to choose one approach or the other because they each end up with a different result. I also wonder if it has to do with Naranjo not using wings.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for posting!Well,I can really identify with this piece of information. All this insecurity manifests into anger and sometimes it seems like there's competitiveness everywhere(to the user above,I'm also a 4w3).It's like I need to prove to everyone who has underestimated me that I'm not a loser and the fear of it makes me push harder for my goals(i'm writing finals in less than a month so I can really relate)However,these behaviors are on the average-unhealthy stage and I think sx4s have also gentle aspects about their personality.This description tends to focus on the ''dark'' side of type 4,a side that comes out in periods of prolonged stress and frustration.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Very interesting, thank for posting. I identify with a lot of it, especially the bits about envy leading to competitiveness, but there are also parts that don't describe me at all. I have no trouble accessing my softer feelings or any of my feelings for that matter. Like most Ennea type descriptions (especially ones of 4s) it's far too negative. Would it kill Naranjo to say something nice? I worry this kind of thing hurts people who already have low self-esteem. It might have had that effect on me a decade ago honestly but at this point I have a much stronger sense of self than I did then. If it weren't for that I would probably just throw in the towel after reading descriptions like the one above.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
A mad 4 vs. A sad 4. That's absolutely perfect, as well as the competition.
I'm ordering this book.

Eta: Ordered it last night. Should get it tomorrow thanks to Prime. I keep thinking about this description, and while it might not be very positive, and while some of it sounds more exaggerated than how I am, it really nails things for me. The second paragraph of what "Roger, the sx 4" had to say, is something I completely relate to.

To me, this description is what a sexual cp (counter shame) 4 looks like. I might just refer to myself as a sx cp 4 from now on.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I relate to the "mad", had a hard time with "soft" feelings as a child (did not want to feel vulnerable & felt ashamed of them), & have actually been called hostile & shameless, but I don't relate to the competitive aspect (but then I identify as sp/sx). To me, this has a 3-wing flavor.

I really wonder if 4w5 sx-dom relate to this:
They are highly competitive, and their intense focus on competition takes the form of actively striving to show that they are the best.

People with this subtype tend to have an “all or nothing” belief related to success: if success is not all theirs, they are left with nothing. This pattern leads to excesses related to their efforts to achieve success, and it also generates feelings of hate

Instead of experiencing myself as ordinary or less-than in my professional life, I will often go to competition

It may seem Threeish and Eightish that I need to be on top professional and personally

4w5 sx-dom, how do you summon the energy & motivation to compete?!

·
Registered
🚀
9,943 Posts
@Ollyx2OxenFree

Thanks for posting.

It all seems negative/unhealthy. Is that because that's how the book presents it or is it because you just didn't post the positive aspects from the book?

For those who type as sx4:
Do you identify with all this? And if so, are you 4w3?

From my own perspective, I'm rather disappointed in the description because it seems to point to just how differently Naranjo's subtype approach is from the stacking approach (sx 4 as a variation of type vs. sx 4 as a variation of sx). It really seems to complicate things for me - it's like you have to choose one approach or the other because they each end up with a different result. I also wonder if it has to do with Naranjo not using wings.
I don't see how it interferes with the stacking approach. I can see how it complicates a reductionist approach, like your 'cake' model, being the sum of all 9 types (or subtypes).

they are not truly "subtypes"—but rather, independent variables

Enneagraminstitute Articles and Interviews

So if you will, Sx4 as described here is not a variation of type 4, but a variation of Sx. On the other hand, I don't think it matters much how you call it as long as you understand the psycho-spiritual dynamic. Perhaps we could compare Instinct with 'nature' where Type would be 'nurture'.

Although, I would rather call it experiential (emotional) learning -or even better- a type of conditioned distortion. We discussed this before, but to offer an alternative to your slices of cake, I'd say I see type more like a color filter that distorts light, perceiving the world and oneself in green or red, or pink tones, while additive mixing of all colors of the spectrum would result in white light. Perhaps the secundary colors are like wing influence.

I know for Naranjo there is influence from types on either side (wings) to begin with, e.g. 4 from *both* 3 and 5. Personally, I don't see the ego as something permanent anyway, let alone consistent, and even more so at unhealthy levels I can imagine 'moodswings' from wing to wing, and acting on impulse, comparable with the push/pull of Fearful Avoidant (insecure) attachment style.

But yeah, I have given examples of 4sx recently in the Things that annoy me - thread, and I think the gist of what I wrote is pretty much in line with this OP. But also posts I wrote before that, when I was not yet introduced to Naranjo's 2004 lecture.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I don't see how it interferes with the stacking approach. I can see how it complicates a reductionist approach, like your 'cake' model, being the sum of all 9 types (or subtypes).
I don't know what you mean by my 'cake' model. I don't see it as a reductionist approach. I see it as coming from a different starting point producing a different result.

subtype approach - determine your type then determine your subtype (instinct determines which subtype you are - instinct produces a variation of type)

stacking approach - determine your instinctual stacking then determine how your type plays out in that stacking (instinct stands on it's own independent of type - type produces a variation of instinct/instinctual stacking)

·
Banned
1,701 Posts
So basically the sexual 4 is a basically a needy asshole who has the compulsive need to belittle people?

I guess life is just like my animes after all.

·
Registered
🚀
9,943 Posts
@Ollyx2OxenFree

Thanks for posting.

I think a more positive aspect of 4Sx would be that shame is challenged, rather than accept the inhibition and not act, not participate or initiate, as Sx seeks to explore and transgress boundaries. I wouldn't say its adaptive coping, any more or any less than CP, just as counter-gluttony is not the same as sobriety.

·
Registered
🚀
9,943 Posts
I don't know what you mean by my 'cake' model. I don't see it as a reductionist approach. I see it as coming from a different starting point producing a different result.

subtype approach - determine your type then determine your subtype (instinct determines which subtype you are - instinct produces a variation of type)

stacking approach - determine your instinctual stacking then determine how your type plays out in that stacking (instinct stands on it's own independent of type - type produces a variation of instinct/instinctual stacking)
Are you saying you never compared it with slices of a cake?

I don't think an ego is required to use instinct. So why would instinct be a subtype of ego type? Think of sub-type as in sub-stance.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So basically the sexual 4 is a basically a needy asshole who has the compulsive need to belittle people?

I guess life is just like my animes after all.
Speaking of anime, I think Hanamichi Sakuragi from Slam Dunk may be a sexual 4. In the beginning, he is rejected by 50 girls just in middle school. Last person who rejected him said she liked a guy from the basketball team which leads him to hating the basketball team (he would beat up anyone who reminds him of basketball, even his friends). Still didn't get over his last heartbreak until high school when he falls in love with a girl who thinks he should play basketball. She just happens to be in love with another basketball player though which causes Hanamichi to hate him and see him as a romantic rival who he also tries to surpass in hopes that it'll make him special enough to attract her. He's shameless, competitive, arrogant, angry, aggressive, misunderstood genius (hell, throughout the series he refers to himself as a genius despite sucking in the beginning), driven by love to become the best, hates whatever triggers inferior feelings in himself and so on. He's hilarious and endearing though. Slam dunk is a classic, too.

Screen Shot 2014-04-27 at 1.48.38 AM.jpg

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks OP for posting this. I tried to tag you but it didn't work for some reason.

I read part of this description on another site and I was very struck by the sx description. I type as sp/sx but after reading this, and the other descriptions, I just may be sx/sp.
I'll post the SP 4 one next, just for you. ;)
@SharkT00th Sure. I think I'll take suggestions after I post the SP 4 description.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Are you saying you never compared it with slices of a cake?

I don't think an ego is required to use instinct. So why would instinct be a subtype of ego type? Think of sub-type as in sub-stance.
The instinctual stack gives evidence of the distortion of the ego. If one were to truly transcend the ego, then the instincts would be balanced, not distorted, and given their proper attention (no more, no less) to actually fulfill needs & do so in a healthy manner.

I think a more positive aspect of 4Sx would be that shame is challenged, rather than accept the inhibition and not act, not participate or initiate, as Sx seeks to explore and transgress boundaries. I wouldn't say its adaptive coping, any more or any less than CP, just as counter-gluttony is not the same as sobriety.
I think counter-shame & open envy (or no shame over it) might be better than "competitive", although I can see how it may lead to that. This does confirm I am sp-first as I've thought (been toying with other ideas lately) because I have most definitely been inhibited by shame, although I didn't identify it as that (didn't really identify it at all).

I'm still open to even being sx last, but I think I have enough attitude of counter-shame even if less so in action to support sx second, and I'm definitely read as more angry or haughty than sad (although I've identified as sad internally).

Like most 4s, there's that torture in regard to relationships, but so first seem clearly tortured in a social way & sx in a romantic way, but sp is not as clearly defined. Perhaps it's the relationship to oneself, but like all 4s, the focus still seems on the romantic partner as savior.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I know for Naranjo there is influence from types on either side (wings) to begin with, e.g. 4 from *both* 3 and 5. Personally, I don't see the ego as something permanent anyway, let alone consistent, and even more so at unhealthy levels I can imagine 'moodswings' from wing to wing, and acting on impulse, comparable with the push/pull of Fearful Avoidant (insecure) attachment style.
I agree with this completely. I identify as a type 4 with balanced wings because of having this in mind.

Personally, I swing in two different directions on most days...one direction is to the wing 3 which I associate with my more extraverted, competitive days, and then I swing in another direction which I associate with my more introverted, info seeking days. These swings are pretty much 50/50 and within them are levels of health where I can identify distintegration-integration patterns.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
That's just the way Naranjo uses instinctual subtype. You are not so much a type as you are one of the three subtypes. It's a different approach to using the instincts when compared to using instincts independently of type. That's why it's a challenge for me to reconcile the two approaches.

Add to that the fact that Naranjo doesn't use wings - so the wing influences are also rolled into the instinctual subtypes. The sx4 subtype description to me has a heavy bias toward the 4w3 vs. the 4w5 - someone who is sx 4w3 will identify with more of the sx 4 subtype description than someone who is sx 4w5.

·
Banned
1,928 Posts
I relate to this pretty heavily. I think a lot of my anger is barely subterranean, but it's still there ready to come out.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts