Personality Cafe banner

Sexual Nines (according to Beatrice Chestnut)

[Enneagram Type 9] 
169K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  anglgtz 
#1 Ā·
The Sexual Nine: "Fusion"

Sexual Nines unconsciously express a need to be through another- to gain a sense of "being" they don't find inside themselves through fusion with somebody else. They unconsciously use relationships to feed their sense of being because it can feel too challenging or threatening to be on their own; they substitute another person's agenda for their own because it feels more comfortable to stand or be through another. These Nines may not even realize they have made this substitution, however; it often happens at a subconscious level.

Sexual Nines are not connected to their own passion for living (in the good sense of the term "passion"), and so they try to locate it by blending with another person. When they are in close relationships, they may have the sense that there are no boundaries between their experience and that of important others. The merging with the other takes the form of an energetic taking on of feelings, attitudes, beliefs, and even behavior. These Nines feel a sense of loneliness or abandonment that seems like it can only be filled by another person, whether or not they realize it consciously.

The problem inherent in this stance, of course, is that true union- a real relationship between two people - requires that both people stand on their own feet before coming to meet each other. But Sexual Nines may experience difficulty in standing on their own two feet, being grounded in themselves, and living out their own sense of purpose, so they look for it in another person.

Individuals with this subtype can merge with a partner, a parent, a close friend, or any important person as a way of finding a life purpose and avoiding their own experience of the lack of such purpose. They have a sense of uncertainty about their own identity and a lack of structure in their lives, and they look to other people to satisfy their sense of who they are and what they want without realizing this is happening.

Sexual Nines tend to be very kind, gentle, tender and sweet. They are the least assertive of the Nines. However, the tenderness they express, like other gestures of caring that come from the personality rather than the real self, can be, to one extent or another, false. More than the other two Nine subtypes, these Nines can have a difficult time locating their own motivation to act in support of their own initiatives. They can even know they want to do something and not be able to do it for a long time, especially if it involves any kind of conflict with others.

Sexual Nines defend against the pain of early separation (and separations in general) by unconsciously denying the existence of boundaries. This is an attempt to avoid being aware of their own deeper sense of isolation, aloneness, and individuality. This Nine may have the sense that "I am when with the other." In maintaining the important connection in tehir lives, they may be so focused on meeting the needs of others that they betray their own needs. When this occurs, they may engage in passive-aggressive forms of rebellion, such as avoiding someone or ignoring something important in a way that affects the relationship.

Sexual Nines can resemble Type Fours, as they may feel a sense of melancholy and experience and express similar themes and feelings related to relationships. Having their center of gravity in others means they have a special sensitivity to the wishes and moods of the important people in their lives and an acute awareness of the push-pull connection and disconnection dynamics in relationships. However, while Fours are self-referencing, Sexual Nines are primarily other-referencing, and they may take on the feelings of another as opposed to having more immediate awareness of their own emotional ups and downs, as Fours do.

Sexual Nines may also share central concerns with Type Twos in that they can lack a solid sense of self and then look to their important relationships as a way to find self-definition or a sense of identity. Twos differ from these Nines, however, in that they focus more attention on constructing an image. Twos also usually enjoy being the center of attention, while this is much less comfortable for Sexual Nines.

Cynthia, a Sexual Nine, speaks:

My experience of the Passion of Sloth has felt less like laziness and more like an incapacity: a sense of being unable to go inside and connect with a deeper aspect of myself. In fact, I always had a fear of connecting with my deeper sense of self, or, more accurately, a fear of discovering that there was actually nothing there. My sense of security comes from a feeling of being connected to a special other - first and longest, to my mother, who had no problem telling me who I was or who I should be, what I should think or feel, and who didn't leave much space for me to come to that on my own. It wasn't that she was domineering - it was more that I was so exquisitely attuned to her that the merest flicker of disapproval might threaten the connection I felt to her.

If I ever lost my connection to my mother I felt anxiety related to a sense of not knowing what I wanted or needed. In retrospect, I can recognize that my anxiety reflected a fear that she would abandon me if I wanted or did something she disapproved of. Connection to her, and the protection that merger with her offered, ensured that I wouldn't experience the terrible feeling of being out of harmony. The feelings I had if I was ever not connected to her - anger, rage, or the pain of rejection caused by disobedience - were so awful that I don't remember even allowing myself to be aware of them past the age of three or four.

As I grew older, I learned that I could substitute the connection to my mother with the connection to a best friend or partner. If I were in the company of someone who was willing to make decisions, take the lead, or tell me what to do or how to be, I could relax and go along. I was always anxious about disrupting that connection, and I was typically agreeable and easygoing in order to ensure it, to such an extent that I often couldn't locate my own opinion at all if it differed from that of my special other. I've always said that if you needed someone to run your errands with you, I'm your girl. In adolescence, I developed a strong feeling of self-rejection: I didn't feel that I really had a personality and envied those who did. Of course, once I was certain of the merger with my special other, I could also find my sense of rebellion: being told who or how to be would sometimes rub me wrong and I could react in a passive-aggressive way that was out of character with my usually sweet nature. In its worst form this looked like cheating on romantic partners or acting out in ways that were so split off I didn't even recognize myself.

Fortunately, my life circumstances have been such that I was unable to completely lose myself in a merger with a partner. In reaction to a disastrously controlling early relationship, I unconsciously chose men who were so emotionally distant that they didn't take over my soul, even though I thought I wanted them to. This has forced me to develop a strong sense of self and a clear sense of purpose, whereas I think if I'd had a partner I would have remained lost and aimless, still wanting to be directed.

Over the years, I have learned how to be with myself in deeper and deeper ways, and in midlife I actually enjoy being on my own, treasure my meditation practice, and have a wonderful community. I occasionally still long for another to tell me what to do, but typically only regarding small decisions. My sense of who I am, both positive and negative, is clearer than it's ever been, and I trust that my personality indeed exists and is even visible to others. My early experiences have resulted in a finely honed intuition and the ability to empathize with and attune to others quite deeply; to see from multiple perspectives at once, but also to locate my own feelings and opinion. I am aware, howver, that even though I have made great strides in independence and my capacity to be alone, there are many things I haven't attempted in life (ie travel abroad or buying a home) without a special other by my side to lend me courage.

The Path from Vice to Virtue:

Sexual Nines can travel the path from laziness to right action by recognizing and acting on their deeper need for separation: making time to be alone more and not always finding a sense of "being" through others. Recognize the ways you may have inadvertently erased yourself to maintain specific relationships and take action to create healthy boundaries with those you are closest to. Notice when you are not "in" yourself. Act to find your own sense of purpose and your own experience of being, and notice how blending with others actually prevents authentic relationships. Fusion mimics real connection, but is in the end only a substitute or a mirage, because it means that you have given yourself up and overadapted to other people. Engage in right action by doing the work it takes to get in touch with your own needs, desires, experiences and emotions- and, most of all, your own sense of purpose. Make a point of noting ways in which you might differ from important others, and take the risk to voice these differences as a way of affirming who you are as a separate individual. Build relationships from the starting point of your own preferences and aspirations as a way to establish more regular contact with your "true self" and you will create more satisfying relationships in which you can fully be who you are and still feel loved and accepted.

See less See more
#3 Ā·
So in other words, sexual type 9's are like Shang Tsung from Mortal Kombat (although less violent)?

#4 Ā·
I'm reading this description, thinking about some of my own past interpersonal relationships...and holy frick, I merge more than I ever thought. Especially that one person's account of a parent who told her what she should be, what to think and feel - I had someone like that and it always pissed me off on some level, so much swallowed rage, especially when she's wrong...not to mention this very intuitive parent claims to know me better than I know myself and to have her own merging with me...Now I really don't know what my instincts are. If there turns out to be an argument for me being an sx-dom I'm going to laugh.

#5 Ā·
As Sexual Nine, I would describe my experience of 'merging' by having the involuntary habit of accommodating to the demands of others (duties, desires, insults) and having an easy time to immerse myself into someone elses' story when listening. I've discovered my passions and built a more solid individuality by being a more outgoing, passionate, multi-talented person compared to my former self, which has helped me become more assertive (to the point that I surprise myself), however I still struggle to assert my personal boundaries when it comes to confrontations.

I am not sure in what ways I would 'merge' myself to my partner, because I feel that I built a stronger sense of self right now. Merging with them would most likely mean 'accommodating' to their needs or forceful insistence, because I struggle with reacting to anger projected at me in a timely manner... Whereas a 4 or 8 would likely over-react, I 'under-react' (seems to be a 9 thing). Due to my pleasant demeanor, people rarely get angry at me, and when they do, its usually because I frustrate them by not being responsive enough... I usually resolve confrontations with humor, raising an eyebrow, or by ignoring people. The concept of 'anger-forgotten' pretty much reflects my struggle as a 9w1.

#6 Ā· (Edited by Moderator)
thanks so much for posting this. I think this is the first SX-dom description I've ever identified so fully with, the others sounding much too aggressive for me.

My initial reaction to some things was 'I'm not like that!' only to realise while re-reading that...yes. Yes, I really am like that. I recognise most of it from when I was younger, though a lot still is that way. I feel that I have become more independent and value it very much - I think, outside of the person(s) I'm 'merged' with, I feel like I DO have a sense of self - but upon self reflection, it's pretty difficult to feel that anchored without someone. It's like I'm in a deep coma or state of stillness if I don't have (a) deep relationship(s), not necessarily romantic. I feel sort of grounded in myself, but not in a good way, more like I'm rooted to the spot and held down.

The thing in that example she said she was envious of people for having a personality because she felt she didn't have one during her teens... me to a T.

I actually wasn't sure about not wanting to 'research myself' for fear of finding nothing - as I'm typing this and mulling it all over, that's scarily accurate. I overidentify myself with fiction, people, even stuff like MBTI and enneagram to fill that feared 'nothingness'. I'm kind of scared of still finding nothing, but working with a therapist plus other personal growth is slowly getting rid of that fear.

Thank you again :)

#7 Ā·
I'm probably a SX 9w1, and I relate to a lot of this.

I do think I have a tendency to "melt" into other people, a sort of phenomenon that's a bit similar to living vicariously through others. But it's not for about wanting their external experiences, it's about wanting to be granted entrance into their inner life, to know their thoughts and feelings about the world. It's a step further than intimacy, and it comes from this place of escapism and longing I think. I'm overwhelmed by my own life, so I want to help others with theirs. And I also want to feel closer to them, to feel less alone. To understand someone else so that I might feel understood in turn. Does that make any sense? I feel like I lean heavily on others in order to understand myself. It's why I like reading modernist literature, the whole concept of access into another person's stream of consciousness.

The one thing that doesn't hold true for me at least is that I have a very distinct personality, and I'm a really passionate person. I do definitely have the vice of laziness or indolence, but I've got a big personality in my own way. I am very passive, but I'm also charming and outgoing and zany. I do look to others to understand me and accept me though, and I really struggle to understand myself and merge consequently.

#8 Ā· (Edited by Moderator)
I've been going through some heartbreak this past week, and this post is really helping put my experience into some perspective...

As a sexual nine, I was so eager to merge with this sexual seven who seemed like an answer to all my prayers-- he was open-hearted, spontaneous, talented, and so beautiful. His infatuation with me only fueled the feedback loop of mutual over-idealization that naturally climaxed into "being in love"... For a while I was living in absolute bliss! You know what that feels like? It feels amazing--- But since his ego, as a seven, eventually moved on and he grew disinterested in me after the honeymoon phase dwindled. I didn't though- I kept trying to fuse & merge & connect desperately. The more I sacrificed my authentic self, the more I dug myself deeper into a place of resentment-attachment. (It's such a strange feeling to simultaneously be frustrated at a person for not being there for you, while continuing to feel completely in love with them.)

In the end I realized the ways I was too attached to him & the ways his feelings for me had clearly changed. (He just "got over" me in two shakes of a lamb's tail, like 7s do) I had to completely cut it off in order to snap out of the trance, and boy has it been painful. The phrase above "fusion mimics real connection" is a devastating truth I need to spend more time with. It feels inauthentic to be told my connection with this person can be reduced to my ego-projection, but I know there are elements there I really need to come to terms with. Standing on my own two feet sounds so lonely and exhausting, people!

#10 Ā· (Edited)
I am a 9w1 who has been pegged down as sx-last by just about everyone on this board, but yet I feel like I can definitely relate to a lot of this.

Although I have never actually been married or had a true girlfriend (which of course was further confirmation amongst others that I am sx blind), here's a little story of one of my experiences with what I believe to be the sx-related "merging" that Beatrice describes...in college I was attracted to a girl named Valerie who I found very cute and had a pretty-sounding first name to me. After a few uncomfortable attempts at small talk, I learned by accident that one of her biggest driving-related pet peeves was tailgating. Prior to that, I had never felt strongly one way or the other about it, but as Valerie ranted to me about it, I realized how much I agreed with her, and even though our relationship didn't quite develop into a full-blown intimate friendship (both of us were introverts and she was due to graduate a semester earlier than me), I still think of her every time somebody tailgates me on the road these days.

So, is this the "unconsciously merging with another person" that's mentioned in this description? I've heard that 9's often do unconsciously take on values and beliefs of other people - but wouldn't a social 9 would be more likely to do this with regards to a group they belong to, rather than just one individual person that they idolize in some way?

#12 Ā· (Edited by Moderator)
Sexual Nines are the least assertive of the Nines.
I disagree with this part, as do Riso & Hudson. In some ways I think BC's description is better, but in this particular thing I agree with R&H more. They claim the opposite, which is that they can be more aggressive.

In any case, this post seems to forget the fact that healthy E9's are all assertive, so having a type that is more or less assertive makes little sense. The goal is for all 9's to assert ourselves in a healthy way. Aggression can make sense, however, as it is at times an overcompensation for a lack of assertiveness in those who struggle to find that balance of assertiveness.

Aggression also makes sense in alignment with the passion and intensity of the Sx instinct as a standalone concept. In other words, if Sx is defined as something intense and passionate, BC's description of Sx 9 seems to deviate from that baseline definition, thus resulting in a bit of an inconsistency in the definition of Sx. Why would an "intense IV" dominance create a less intense version of a particular type?

Then again, I suppose it's relativde to how intensity is defined as well.

I admit that I am biased because I see myself as 9w8 Sx/Sp and my experiences are rather opposite.

#13 Ā· (Edited)
The Sexual Nine: "Fusion"

Sexual Nines unconsciously express a need to be through another- to gain a sense of "being" they don't find inside themselves through fusion with somebody else. They unconsciously use relationships to feed their sense of being because it can feel too challenging or threatening to be on their own; they substitute another person's agenda for their own because it feels more comfortable to stand or be through another. These Nines may not even realize they have made this substitution, however; it often happens at a subconscious level.

Sexual Nines are not connected to their own passion for living (in the good sense of the term "passion"), and so they try to locate it by blending with another person. When they are in close relationships, they may have the sense that there are no boundaries between their experience and that of important others. The merging with the other takes the form of an energetic taking on of feelings, attitudes, beliefs, and even behavior. These Nines feel a sense of loneliness or abandonment that seems like it can only be filled by another person, whether or not they realize it consciously.

The problem inherent in this stance, of course, is that true union- a real relationship between two people - requires that both people stand on their own feet before coming to meet each other. But Sexual Nines may experience difficulty in standing on their own two feet, being grounded in themselves, and living out their own sense of purpose, so they look for it in another person.

Individuals with this subtype can merge with a partner, a parent, a close friend, or any important person as a way of finding a life purpose and avoiding their own experience of the lack of such purpose. They have a sense of uncertainty about their own identity and a lack of structure in their lives, and they look to other people to satisfy their sense of who they are and what they want without realizing this is happening.

Sexual Nines tend to be very kind, gentle, tender and sweet. They are the least assertive of the Nines. However, the tenderness they express, like other gestures of caring that come from the personality rather than the real self, can be, to one extent or another, false. More than the other two Nine subtypes, these Nines can have a difficult time locating their own motivation to act in support of their own initiatives. They can even know they want to do something and not be able to do it for a long time, especially if it involves any kind of conflict with others.

Sexual Nines defend against the pain of early separation (and separations in general) by unconsciously denying the existence of boundaries. This is an attempt to avoid being aware of their own deeper sense of isolation, aloneness, and individuality. This Nine may have the sense that "I am when with the other." In maintaining the important connection in tehir lives, they may be so focused on meeting the needs of others that they betray their own needs. When this occurs, they may engage in passive-aggressive forms of rebellion, such as avoiding someone or ignoring something important in a way that affects the relationship.

Sexual Nines can resemble Type Fours, as they may feel a sense of melancholy and experience and express similar themes and feelings related to relationships. Having their center of gravity in others means they have a special sensitivity to the wishes and moods of the important people in their lives and an acute awareness of the push-pull connection and disconnection dynamics in relationships. However, while Fours are self-referencing, Sexual Nines are primarily other-referencing, and they may take on the feelings of another as opposed to having more immediate awareness of their own emotional ups and downs, as Fours do.

Sexual Nines may also share central concerns with Type Twos in that they can lack a solid sense of self and then look to their important relationships as a way to find self-definition or a sense of identity. Twos differ from these Nines, however, in that they focus more attention on constructing an image. Twos also usually enjoy being the center of attention, while this is much less comfortable for Sexual Nines.

____

Cynthia, a Sexual Nine, speaks:

My experience of the Passion of Sloth has felt less like laziness and more like an incapacity: a sense of being unable to go inside and connect with a deeper aspect of myself. In fact, I always had a fear of connecting with my deeper sense of self, or, more accurately, a fear of discovering that there was actually nothing there. My sense of security comes from a feeling of being connected to a special other - first and longest, to my mother, who had no problem telling me who I was or who I should be, what I should think or feel, and who didn't leave much space for me to come to that on my own. It wasn't that she was domineering - it was more that I was so exquisitely attuned to her that the merest flicker of disapproval might threaten the connection I felt to her.

If I ever lost my connection to my mother I felt anxiety related to a sense of not knowing what I wanted or needed. In retrospect, I can recognize that my anxiety reflected a fear that she would abandon me if I wanted or did something she disapproved of. Connection to her, and the protection that merger with her offered, ensured that I wouldn't experience the terrible feeling of being out of harmony. The feelings I had if I was ever not connected to her - anger, rage, or the pain of rejection caused by disobedience - were so awful that I don't remember even allowing myself to be aware of them past the age of three or four.

As I grew older, I learned that I could substitute the connection to my mother with the connection to a best friend or partner. If I were in the company of someone who was willing to make decisions, take the lead, or tell me what to do or how to be, I could relax and go along. I was always anxious about disrupting that connection, and I was typically agreeable and easygoing in order to ensure it, to such an extent that I often couldn't locate my own opinion at all if it differed from that of my special other. I've always said that if you needed someone to run your errands with you, I'm your girl. In adolescence, I developed a strong feeling of self-rejection: I didn't feel that I really had a personality and envied those who did. Of course, once I was certain of the merger with my special other, I could also find my sense of rebellion: being told who or how to be would sometimes rub me wrong and I could react in a passive-aggressive way that was out of character with my usually sweet nature. In its worst form this looked like cheating on romantic partners or acting out in ways that were so split off I didn't even recognize myself.

Fortunately, my life circumstances have been such that I was unable to completely lose myself in a merger with a partner. In reaction to a disastrously controlling early relationship, I unconsciously chose men who were so emotionally distant that they didn't take over my soul, even though I thought I wanted them to. This has forced me to develop a strong sense of self and a clear sense of purpose, whereas I think if I'd had a partner I would have remained lost and aimless, still wanting to be directed.

Over the years, I have learned how to be with myself in deeper and deeper ways, and in midlife I actually enjoy being on my own, treasure my meditation practice, and have a wonderful community. I occasionally still long for another to tell me what to do, but typically only regarding small decisions. My sense of who I am, both positive and negative, is clearer than it's ever been, and I trust that my personality indeed exists and is even visible to others. My early experiences have resulted in a finely honed intuition and the ability to empathize with and attune to others quite deeply; to see from multiple perspectives at once, but also to locate my own feelings and opinion. I am aware, howver, that even though I have made great strides in independence and my capacity to be alone, there are many things I haven't attempted in life (ie travel abroad or buying a home) without a special other by my side to lend me courage.

__

The Path from Vice to Virtue:

Sexual Nines can travel the path from laziness to right action by recognizing and acting on their deeper need for separation: making time to be alone more and not always finding a sense of "being" through others. Recognize the ways you may have inadvertently erased yourself to maintain specific relationships and take action to create healthy boundaries with those you are closest to. Notice when you are not "in" yourself. Act to find your own sense of purpose and your own experience of being, and notice how blending with others actually prevents authentic relationships. Fusion mimics real connection, but is in the end only a substitute or a mirage, because it means that you have given yourself up and overadapted to other people. Engage in right action by doing the work it takes to get in touch with your own needs, desires, experiences and emotions- and, most of all, your own sense of purpose. Make a point of noting ways in which you might differ from important others, and take the risk to voice these differences as a way of affirming who you are as a separate individual. Build relationships from the starting point of your own preferences and aspirations as a way to establish more regular contact with your "true self" and you will create more satisfying relationships in which you can fully be who you are and still feel loved and accepted.
9s are ones of the best people to have as friends but they make you worry so much i feel like they give themselves completly. They're so gentle and sweet. I feel like they dont have any anger in themselves even when they do it's so gentle???wtf. I remember their presence was always so a ease. But she was so overly trusting and i was so worried šŸ˜­ but i feel i always felt so at ease after talking to her. I would be like heated af and she be so calm and nurturing. The description wa so sad when i first read it. having these people as friends are so blessings but the descriptiuon is making me wanna cry. I wish i still had her around. They're literal angels

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.