Personality Cafe banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the characteristic traits of the sexual 1 are? And what are ways of tempering this type?
"The Sexual force drives you to seek closeness, like you would experience in a strong romantic relationship or a close friendship."

That's all I've been able to gather so far. I'm trying to learn how to control intensity. A lot of times I feel like it restricts me socially. I'm trying to develop myself more in the social arena and have been practicing celibacy for some time now.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Naranjo's description is the only one I personally find very accurate.

Sexual: Zeal. In Spanish, "zeal" means "the animal in heat." The most free of the One subtypes. Apassion for being a righteous person (vs. getting it right or being right). Translates into the attempt to beperfect "so I will be loved by Mommy or by someone else." A passion to think right in order to givebrilliance to your being. Sex with a little invasive anger; may have sadistic fantasies. More Eight-like.Martin Luther historically broke through the belief in God's good work. "Good works are not enough... youhave to believe and have faith." He studied day and night, came from a very poor background and hadhabits of austerity.
I think the best thing for an sx 1 is to learn to harness the intensity we have that makes us feel out of place. Channel it into outlets where it can help causes you care about, more like a healthy 8. I mean we'll never really be like a healthy 8, that kind of take-charge position drains us and is extremely stressful for us (so many chances to make mistakes and have them be seen by everyone!) but it gives a sense of purpose to our intense energy and siphons enough off for us to maintain control. I think it's a much better compromise for the extreme standards of being a 1, than just trying constantly to hold back. That, and seek out people who recognize and appreciate our intensity. Some people do. The 6 I know really admired it, I think because of the contrast to his own desire to repress and hide. Other sx 1s appreciate it best--it helps me stay calm to have a friend who truly understands what I put myself through, and how difficult it can be.

I think as a 1w2, your best bet would be to find ways to regularly channel that intensity into sticking up for underdogs. Or let your intense drive be an inspiration for people who are weaker and use it to help them improve their lives on an individual level. Those are both things that really seem to help my sx 1w2 friend--he's healthiest when he has those outlets. For him, that means military service, working as a prison guard, becoming a cop, helping train others, etc. My moments like that, as someone who isn't physical, are more like intense bursts of standing up and arguing for people who are weak.

With a 9 wing, though, that doesn't work as well for me--I get a lot out of helping people but not enough compared to how much energy I need to redirect, and that much intensity rarely helps create harmony without a lot of redirection. I usually try to redirect that energy into 5-ish pursuits, since it helps calm me down (probably because it's so removed from the gut triad). And I can focus on researching and learning and understanding that relates to whatever my energy is wanting to focus on.

Just as general advice, though, research cognitive behavioral therapy and dialectical behavioral therapy. The first is for recognizing patterns of behavior and learning to modify them--something people of any type can benefit from. The second was developed for borderline personality disorder, which I don't have, but I find extremely beneficial anyway. BPD involves overwhelming, intense emotions, and DBT is about learning to keep those intense overwhelming feelings from leading to unacceptable behavior. So the same strategies, in my opinion, can be very useful for handling anything intense that you want to change--even if it isn't unhealthy. Like the intense energy of an 8 or sexual 1. .. Maybe less helpful outside the gut triad, since raw energy isn't what the other types are as focused on.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Beatrice Chestnut's description is one of the most accurate ones I've seen.

http://personalitycafe.com/type-1-forum-reformer/351426-sexual-ones-according-beatrice-chestnut.html

In a nutshell, the surface personalities of the different type 1 subtypes are as follows;

Social 1:
Rigid
Lecturing
Identifies with a set of "rules", along with a tendency to downplay their own importance "I'm just advocating the truth, this isn't about me" -- what Naranjo calls self-erasure
Tends to be harsh
Often takes up a leadership position
Uses anger to attack the enemies of his/her rules
The most stereotypical "preachy" 1

Self Preservation 1:
Self-doubting
Perfectionistic
Fears making a mistake
Tends to be somewhat reserved
Hides anger, the most "repressed" of 1s
Easy to mistype as a 6

Sexual 1:
Assertive and pushy
Openly displays anger
The most confident of 1s
Tends to have a sense of entitlement, feels what s/he wants is "owed" to him/her and gets angry if denied
Often comes across as an 8, especially when moving towards integration (healthy sx1 often come across as a healthy 8w7)

Underneath there's obviously a lot more, but these are the surface differences in personality that you'll notice at first.

·
Registered
775 Posts

http://personalitycafe.com/type-1-forum-reformer/351426-sexual-ones-according-beatrice-chestnut.html

In a nutshell, the surface personalities of the different type 1 subtypes are as follows;

Social 1:
Rigid
Lecturing
Identifies with a set of "rules", along with a tendency to downplay their own importance "I'm just advocating the truth, this isn't about me" -- what Naranjo calls self-erasure
Tends to be harsh
Often takes up a leadership position
Uses anger to attack the enemies of his/her rules
The most stereotypical "preachy" 1

Self Preservation 1:
Self-doubting
Perfectionistic
Fears making a mistake
Tends to be somewhat reserved
Hides anger, the most "repressed" of 1s
Easy to mistype as a 6

Sexual 1:
Assertive and pushy
Openly displays anger
The most confident of 1s
Tends to have a sense of entitlement, feels what s/he wants is "owed" to him/her and gets angry if denied
Often comes across as an 8, especially when moving towards integration (healthy sx1 often come across as a healthy 8w7)

Underneath there's obviously a lot more, but these are the surface differences in personality that you'll notice at first.
I still get annoyed by the BC description's details and think they feel wrong for Sx 1w9. But I absolutely agree with your summary of sx 1. Although I try very hard to avoid acting entitled unless I think I've earned it. Though in practice that just means I sit and say mean things to myself until I'm too sad to be angry when denied.

edited to add: I also think BC's description conflicts with Naranjo's. He describes them as perfecting themselves to be loved, which fits with your description (the earned part) but less so with BC's emphasis on perfecting others. A 9 wing is going to make an Sx 1 less inclined to perfect others directly. For me, I focus on perfecting the factors that influence people--so I'm working toward the same kind of goal, but not like someone with a 2 wing.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
@TheRamona369

Hey, intensity is something I can relate with you on. I feel like it's restricted me socially, too.

I don't feel like I can give you any specific advice.

Going back to the MBTI, I feel like I've had to come to terms somewhat with my leading functions.

For example, as an introverted type, I speak in propositions, which come across as "hard" and "harsh" -

When I speak in propositions, I believe that I come across as somewhat with an inflated sense of my ego.

Then, I do not realise when the intensity of my self-involvement with my own thoughts, coupled with my overintense drive to bond with others in my headspace, has completely shut the other person out and made them feel like I am not listening to them, when actually I am trying to bond with them like nothing else.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Sexual 1:
Assertive and pushy
Openly displays anger
The most confident of 1s
I agree with this description. For a while I mistyped myself as an 8, but I now realize I'm a 1w9 sx/sp. It's an intense combo and if one is confident in owning it, it definitely looks like an 8 in action from the outside.

I too, like @ruskiix, channel my energy into mental pursuits like a 5 would. It's oddly relaxing and I feel good about myself for using my time and energy to intellectually advance myself. But I almost always need to balance it with physical activity or social activities where I can be my boisterous self.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I am 1w9 Sx/So..actually I am less rule bound,more competetive and playful than typical 1 descriptions.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Then, I do not realise when the intensity of my self-involvement with my own thoughts, coupled with my overintense drive to bond with others in my headspace, has completely shut the other person out and made them feel like I am not listening to them, when actually I am trying to bond with them like nothing else.
This is beautiful. I relate to it on so many levels. I am also an introverted type (INFP) as well as a SX-1w2, so I have a lot of things working against my core 1-ness. I feel like I am a giant juxtaposition, very contradictory in most of my qualities, but that quiet self-righteous anger still seeps through.. & a lot of other intuitive, or perceptive, types can pick up on it.

Also, the other descriptions listed in this thread about SX-1 being not unlike a healthy 8? That's actually really interesting, as well. I have always felt like I could express anger a little more openly than a traditional Type 1 description suggests. It also explains why the 8 I am around the most and I get along so well at times. . . and have marvelous sparring matches.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Does anyone know what the characteristic traits of the sexual 1 are? And what are ways of tempering this type?
" I'm trying to learn how to control intensity. A lot of times I feel like it restricts me socially. I'm trying to develop myself more in the social arena and have been practicing celibacy for some time now.
This is Much easier said than done, I'm aware of this. but you just need to find someone who can value/understand your intensity. Not everyone is going to be scared off by it, I know my ex at first had never dealt with anything like it before but with time shes come to understand who I am much more clearly and my actions don't not make sense to her anymore.

Currently we're split up but working on our relationship due to this intensity, its a struggle for sure but everything else about our relationship is worth it to us and she sees the positive side of my "intensity" as well. You should never bring down who you are for someone else, the façade will never hold, and if it does you'll be miserable. Just be you, you'll find what you need along the way :)

Let me know if I completely missed the point of this post. I couldn't fully gather what you were trying to say I think

*COMPLETELY MISSED THE DATE*

1 - 12 of 12 Posts