Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've signed myself up for ROTC next year and I'm a little alarmed.

Who has had experience as an ENTP in the army? I'm mostly interested in what you found difficult to deal with and how you dealt with it :) any personal stories are fine also

so anyway if you are a female and/or and ENTP who has been or is in the army (especially as an officer) Please post with your advice :D

ty!
- Autumn

·
Registered
145 Posts
So I've signed myself up for ROTC next year and I'm a little alarmed.

Who has had experience as an ENTP in the army? I'm mostly interested in what you found difficult to deal with and how you dealt with it :) any personal stories are fine also

so anyway if you are a female and/or and ENTP who has been or is in the army (especially as an officer) Please post with your advice :D

ty!
- Autumn
If you want to be challenged, forget about the Army and go Marines. At the very least, if your supply convoy is attacked in some shit village in Iraq:

a) You won't get lost.
b) You won't wait to shoot back.
c) Your weapon will work, because you'll have been trained on how to properly clean it and use it.
d) You won't be captured and butt-fucked by the entire village, because the rest of the men/women in your convoy are either too dead or captured to help you.
e) You won't get a bronze star for getting in a car wreck and being a "survivor", but you may get a silver star for kicking some serious ass.

Ref: Jessica Lynch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you want to be challenged, forget about the Army and go Marines. At the very least, if your supply convoy is attacked in some shit village in Iraq:

a) You won't get lost.
b) You won't wait to shoot back.
c) Your weapon will work, because you'll have been trained on how to properly clean it and use it.
d) You won't be captured and butt-fucked by the entire village, because the rest of the men/women in your convoy are either too dead or captured to help you.
e) You won't get a bronze star for getting in a car wreck and being a "survivor", but you may get a silver star for kicking some serious ass.

Ref: Jessica Lynch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ahh funny, but true. You forgot some...

f) Don't worry about ever getting promoted
g) brainwashing isn't optional

On a serious note, the big thing with being an ENTP is having to deal with a lot of SJ types. The biggest challenge for me is to have to follow superiors who I do not consider to be competent, or more competent than I am. The endless traditions are also annoying, but I treat it like a game to make it easier. Certain career fields would suit you more than others. So, don't chose AG (personnel), quartermaster, chemical, or transportation corps as your top options. Those will bore you to death.

Reactions: Olmed3011

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually almost joined the marines lol but that was before I got into college

Thank you for the job advice! I was going to pick quartermaster lol, do you know anything about logistics? Maybe I should just try for an intelligence position...

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Well, I am an INTP and former sheltered suburban only child that rolled out of bed at 7 am, in his own big room w/bathroom, and was late to Jazz Band by 15 minutes every single day, that became an enlisted Marine.

It would be a little different for an officer in the Army, but Marine boot camp was a huge culture shock, for me. Marching around all day long and standing at attention, eating food in the chow hall with my back straight and feet together at the heels. For the first few days, I was clenching my teeth so tightly that my mouth started to hurt and I had to consciously stop doing that. Getting woken up at 4-5 am and getting yelled at by a drill instructor to "get out of the rack, get online." That means we line up on a white line in front of our bunk beds, then the drill instructor tells us to put a piece of clothing on and counts down from 5, and if someone doesn't do it in time, we all start over. That's just the beginning really. 3 months lasts a long friggen time, and it was extremely hard at first, but by the time I was done with that, I had become used to it.

The fleet is different. I was a motor t operator, which means driving vehicles, so it was almost like a normal job, except for PT, uniform inspections, not knowing your schedule until 4:30 the day before, including weekends, being on-call 24/7 (liberty is a privilege, not a right), etc. Working random hours, anything from 3 am until 1 am, or whatever. You are basically just bossed around and told what to do, how to do it and when to do it. Then when you become an NCO, you're expected to do that to the junior Marines.

I also was known for not saying rank, which annoyed some of the NCOs, but I managed to become liked very well by the sergeants at my unit and got high pros and cons. After being there for a few months, I started getting along really well with the people there and had a ton of fun partying in Socal, and really enjoyed my night life, even though I hated work.

This all changed when I got stationed in S. Korea though, like a 180 I didn't get along with hardly anyone and got horrible pros and cons. This is when I became an NCO, and I made jokes about my authority, which ended up being a mistake because, even though my underlings liked me for that, I got in trouble a lot for not getting my Marines to do anything, and I couldn't get them to do anything even if I tried, at that point, because they didn't take me seriously anymore. I guess that was typical INTP behavior to want everyone to be equals and just work together, but most people in the military won't respond to that.

There was an ENTP on here that was a former Marine, and he said he didn't like it all that much. I'd have to guess that NTPs (especially INTP) make up a tiny % of the Marine population. I was counting my days starting at day 1 of bootcamp.

If you want to watch the most accurate portrayal I've seen of a modern Marine sniper unit (or infantry) then that would be Jarheads. Non-infantry is a bit different and more tame. I remember reading reviews and a lot of non-infantry didn't like the movie, but all of the infantry guys that posted reviews said it was accurate. I worked at the School of Infantry, so I worked with a lot of different MOSs and talked to them about what their units and jobs were like.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I actually almost joined the marines lol but that was before I got into college

Thank you for the job advice! I was going to pick quartermaster lol, do you know anything about logistics? Maybe I should just try for an intelligence position...
MI is the best for any NT. No question about it. I have worked with logistics, but I do not know much about their job other than they do a lot of equipment accounting, which is also a very mundane task. I would also recommend JAG if you were to go for law school.

Reactions: Ermenegildo

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you want to watch the most accurate portrayal I've seen of a modern Marine sniper unit (or infantry) then that would be Jarheads. Non-infantry is a bit different and more tame. I remember reading reviews and a lot of non-infantry didn't like the movie, but all of the infantry guys that posted reviews said it was accurate. I worked at the School of Infantry, so I worked with a lot of different MOSs and talked to them about what their units and jobs were like.
I fell asleep during that movie.

I had a taste of both worlds: Marine Barracks and FMF (Echo 2/7). Marine Barracks was in Guam for 18 months and a constant fucking party. Scuba diving, boony stomping, bar hopping, chasing women and oh yeah, guard duty. Right as I was about to rotate back to the states, Sadaam Hussein invaded Kuwait. I was like Sadaam who? invaded where? Who fucking cares!

But the fine print on the bottom of the 8151 MOS says, "After completing your barracks duty tour....go straight to the grunts, do not pass GO, do not collect $200." So after 30 days leave, I go to check into my unit at 29 Stumps and what? They've already left for Saudi and I missed them? Bummer!

So I picked up cigarette butts and painted rocks for 6 weeks until one day when the dreaded staff NCO prick with the clip board shows up and says, "Pack your shit and be on the grinder (parking lot) in 4 hours." 2 days later I was sweating my ass off in Saudi Arabia, thinking, "How the fuck do they expect me to drink 8 canteens a day of this piss-warm water. And what the fuck is up with all of these fucking flies?"

I will say though that I really enjoyed the combat and was very disappointed that it only lasted a few days. While I couldn't wait to leave that God-forsaken shithole, I missed the rush of being in the shit. That was almost 20 years ago and I haven't experienced anything even close to those feelings since.:frustrating:

·
Banned
998 Posts
Why the hell would anyone want to join the army? It's asking to have a target placed on your back. And it is dominated by SJs. Still sure you want to do this?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah but 4 years of hell instead of 10 years of paying off student loans is very tempting

I naturally have other, more abstract reasons for wanting to do this, but I'm lazy and dont really want to get into it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow an INTP in the marines, that would be a rough transition regardless of your background

So to you guys who were in the military, do you have any advice for getting along with superiors? I'm guessing not making fun of them would be a good start ;) Any tips for how to do something the stupid way without complaining?

·
Registered
98 Posts
First question. What's rotc?
Then: I'm not from the us so I don't know what you can expect.
Haven't been in the army. I wanted at first, and in the recrution process I performed my best so that I could choose exactly what I wanted, which of course was one of the toughest positions there was. I got what I wanted, but due to certain circumstances I was offered the option to abandon the ship just before my service was about to begin. (At the time of this event, leaving in my position would result in jail-time.) I hadn't thought about quitting before, and was glad that I had passed the point of no return. The problem was, this "opportunity" that demanded a quick answer, gave me a chance to radically change my future and that path had an almost unlimited amount of possibilities as I saw it. ---> so I left...

I don't know the reasons why you , want to be in the army. I wanted the life experience you can't get anywhere else. I wanted to push my limits, gain the insights, and blow stuff up. I wanted the pain, I wanted the gain. (+ I was thinking of making it a career)

What I'm trying to say is. I'm on a different course with different plans now and I'm doing fine. But I hate that I chickend out on this one opportunity to have that experience. The things you regret the most is the things you didn't do.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Why the hell would anyone want to join the army? It's asking to have a target placed on your back. And it is dominated by SJs. Still sure you want to do this?
Adventure and experience

·
Registered
160 Posts
Wow an INTP in the marines, that would be a rough transition regardless of your background

So to you guys who were in the military, do you have any advice for getting along with superiors? I'm guessing not making fun of them would be a good start ;) Any tips for how to do something the stupid way without complaining?
Getting along with superiors is not too bad once you get past the training phase. The leadership is usually more dynamic than people are led to believe, even though they are predominately SJ. That is due to having more life experience than the average non-military person, such as world travel and living in multiple cultures. The way I get along with superiors who I can't stand is to minimize the interaction. I have been pretty lucky though.

To do the stupid things without complaining is difficult. The military loves repititious training and the use of power point presentations. If you keep suggesting alternative ways of doing those tasks that are inefficient or stupid, eventually you could get your way or a recommendation for a better position. The military just won't change certain things no matter how much evidence you have to show that they are wrong. If you do enter ROTC, then you will probably see this, especially in the physical fitness program and how it completely disregards modern exercise science.

·
Registered
145 Posts
So to you guys who were in the military, do you have any advice for getting along with superiors?
Haha...keep your head down, your nose clean and no matter how good it looks....NEVER volunteer for anything.

Any tips for how to do something the stupid way without complaining?
The military is like fucking bizarro world...where decisions rarely make sense and people that would otherwise be flipping burgers are calling the shots. Once you realize and accept "the way it is"...then and only then can you enjoy some shred of happiness.

One more thing....racism is alive and well in the military. In a sense, it's almost like being in prison where you have to join a gang to survive...except in this case, it's not survival that you're worried about...it's the constant shit jobs like guard duty in the middle of the night or on weekends, always getting assigned point on combat patrols or having to follow orders which are based on discrimination rather than good judgment. It's sad, but a fact a life in the military.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, it's been awhile since I originally posted this and I thought I should come back and give an update :)

Joining ROTC (Reserve Officers Training Corps) is one of the best decisions I've ever gone through with. It is everything I could have asked for; competition, adventure, a rock solid family, and the entire thing is based on improving yourself physically, intellectually, and socially. The respect you get from other students when you have to wear the uniform is priceless and the leg up that ROTC gives you on applications is a great perk

I can't even imagine what college would be like without the Army in the background.

(please note: I am not brainwashed, I willingly subjected myself to it Hooah! ;] )

It's hard because the cadre (officers and NCO's running the program) are ALWAYS watching, judging, and ranking you against your peers. Physical Training and the (few) leadership positions designated to freshmen are a breeze for me, but keeping my GPA up has been my biggest challenge. I got a 3.92 last term and can only imagine the look on my first sergeants face when I don't do as well this term.

Advice: DO NOT SIGN UP FOR TOO MANY THINGS! ENTP's are notorious for doing this and I can tell you, both from observation and experience, that overextending makes it so you can't accomplish any of them. I've limited myself to ROTC, one sport (rugby w00t), one club (multicultural mentoring program called IMPACT), one cluster of fun classes (wilderness survival hell yes!), and no more than 18 credits (the less fun aspect of college).

I'll hop off my soap box now, but really, I freaking love the Army :) Whether or not my opinion changes once I've commissioned, who knows? But for now, hell yes!

Let's start an Army of ENTP's!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Actually, that idea just gave me shivers.

If, for some reason, you decide to actually join the military, send me a message. Let's start a secret Militant ENTP Networking Association

1 - 20 of 34 Posts