Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured that I should make one of these for a couple of reasons. First of all, I like "talking" through my training and how I feel, as it helps me better analyze it and remember why I'm doing what I'm doing. Second, I'm feeling a bit down about the fact that I'm recovering incredibly slowly from a piriformis injury that sidelined me for a while and became re-injured twice while trying to rebuild my mileage. I was never a very high mileage runner (30 MPW average), but when I was first recovering, I could barely run 2 miles every other day without my piriformis having a flare up that lasted a week.

I am hoping that I will be able to keep myself motivated and accountable with this, and it'll be cool to track some of my progress! Overall, I want to slowly build my mileage to around 50 MPW in the long term, be able to do Lactate Threshold and VO2Max workouts without re-injuring myself, and eventually focus my training for a half marathon.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thursday 12/14/17

Weight: 142.2 lbs (64.5 kg)
Calories Eaten: ~ 1560
Resting Heart Rate: 52 BPM
Overall Feeling: Pretty good!

Today was a pretty good day overall. My weight was up a little bit from yesterday (141.6 lbs), but it's probably because of water retention from the salty Mexican food I had yesterday. While I am trying to cut down to 132 (~10-12% BF), I am not super worried about my weight at this point. Weighing food and counting calories has become second nature, which is nice. My RHR was the lowest it's been in a few weeks, which is cool to see.

Run: Rest
Current Mileage This Week: 7
Weekly Mileage Goal: 11
Current Goal: Run 3-4 miles at an easy pace 6 times a week without re-injuring myself.
Weather: N/A

Because I'm carefully nurturing this injury, I'm currently building my mileage very slowly from 0. This "cycle," I started with running 3 miles 3 times a week, for a total of 9 miles. Then, I'm building to 4 miles 3 times a week to reach 12 miles in a week. Then I'll repeat 12 MPW, but spread it out to 3 mile runs 4 times a week. I've learned that increasing mileage and days running at the same time is a recipe for re-injuring my unfortunately fragile self... So, yeah, it's slow, but my future self will thank me I'm sure.

Strength Training: Upper Body Routine
- 4x8 Chest Press
- 4x8 Chin-ups
- 1x20 Push-ups
- 4x8 Shoulder Press
- 1x10 Incline Push-ups
- 4x8 Dips

My upper body routine isn't my favorite or most important strength training day, but it's nice to do and it helps my posture while running, so I force myself to do it most days. Today was no exception. I was able to enjoy some great new tunes, as Brockhampton and N.E.R.D. released a couple of stellar songs recently. So that helped me get through it! Overall, I felt good at the end of it. I went pretty hard, but not to failure.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Friday 12/15/17

Weight: 141.8 lbs (64.3 kg)
Calories Eaten: ~ 1800
Resting Heart Rate: 52 BPM
Overall Feeling: Decent

Today was a very average day in terms of feeling. I had slight pain my right leg, but it doesn't seem like anything serious and it feels okay now that I've foam rolled it. Ran today so I allowed more calories and had a couple of Christmas cookies while hitting my protein goal. Nice!

Run: 4 miles Easy
Current Mileage This Week: 11
Current Goal: Run 3-4 miles at an easy pace 6 times a week without re-injuring myself.
Weather: 15 F (-9.5 C)

I did today's run a bit too fast. My breathing felt slightly heavier than usual and, while I do not know for sure, I assume that my HR spiked higher than it should have. But it was still a decent run. I had to wear a ski mask today, which may have contributed to making it harder to breath, and it just felt weird to have on. But I should get used to it because my face wasn't numb by the end of the run. I also had to watch my step because the sidewalks and roads were icy, but I never fell. Plus, I loved the sections where snow had piled up. I love the cushion snow provides. :)

Strength Training: Leg Routine
- 4x8 Squats
- 4x8 Quad Machine
- 4x8 Hamstring Machine
- 1x10 Adductor Raises (per leg)
- 1x10 Facedown Straight Leg Raises (per leg)
- 1x10 Glute Bridge Leg Raises (per leg)
- 1x10 Clamshells w/ Band (per leg)
- 1x10 Reverse Clamshells w/ Band (per leg)
- 1x10 Raised Reverse Clamshells w/ Band (per leg)
- 1x30 Lateral Leg Raises w/ Band (per leg/10 with toes pointing straight, 10 with toes pointing up, 10 with toes pointing down)
- 1x10 Donkey Kicks (per leg)
- 1x10 Donkey Whips (per leg)

This was my first time trying this variation of a leg routine that I made. It's pretty simple: I do some heavily weighted squats and leg extensions for my normal 4x8 sets and then a single circuit of a bunch of lower weight strengthening exercises that are more specific to running. The quads/hamstrings exercises were way too low on weight though, so I'll need to add 10-15 for next time. It's very important that I strengthen my glutes especially, as that area is where I become injured in the first place. Overall, it was a pretty decent workout and my legs were definitely fatigued after it. I forgot my resistance band at home, so I had to use the ones at the gym that pulled on my leg hair. :/

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Saturday 12/16/17

Weight: 141.8 lbs (64.3 kg)
Calories Eaten: ~ 1530
Resting Heart Rate: 53 BPM
Overall Feeling: Good

Nothing new to note here, though my weight didn't shift at all. It could possibly be due to the ungodly amount of salt I had at dinner last night, oops. Piriformis is in a tiny bit of pain. I only notice it when I do lateral leg swings, but I'm keeping an eye on that thing. :/

Run: N/A
Current Mileage This Week: 11
Weather: N/A

No run today, though I really wanted to do one. I needed to stop myself. It's just not worth the possible re-injury. :(

Strength Training: Core & Neck Routine
- 1x30 seconds Prone Plank
- 1x30 seconds Prone Plank Standing on Hand
- 1x10 SoH Rotation (per side)
- 1x30 seconds Prone Plank w/ High Leg (per leg)
- 1x30 seconds Supine Plank
- 1x30 seconds Supine Plank SoH
- 1x30 seconds Side Plank (per side)
- 1x10 Slow Crunch
- 1x10 Crunch Crisscross (per side)
- 1x10 Slow Crunch Head Raise
- 1x10 Facedown Opposite Limb Life (per side)
- 1x10 Abductor Glute Bridge w/ Band
- 1x20 Hip Hitches (per side)
- 1x15 Crabwalk w/ Band (per leg)
- 1x10 Neck Press

This is my first time with this core circuit. It was fairly easy for the most part, so I may add more reps or see if I can do it twice. But I'm hoping that it gives my core the strength it needs to keep my posture correct while running. And maybe I'll have abs once I lose some more body fat! Woo!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts