Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you say is the relationship between you and the shadow (If you're an ESFJ say, your shadow would be INTP etc) of your MBTI type? Do you know lots about that type, or very little? Would you find said type interesting, or boring? Are the majority of people you've met who are that type, likely to become your friends, enemies, acquaintances or partners? Do you struggle to remember a time where a person of that type wasn't around you, or do you find it hard to remember when you last met someone of your shadow type? Have you found that when you're extremely stressed/angry/annoyed/depressed, you become that type? Is it a type you aspire to be, or a type which the very thought of living life as would be the stuff of nightmares?

Sorry for the huge block of questions, but hey, I'm curious. :proud:

·
Registered
27 Posts
My shadow type would be ESFP which happens to be my brother's personality...Our relationship is interesting. It may appear like a love hate relationship at first glance, but it's mostly love...Mostly. I definitely get annoyed and stressed Every once in a while, I get angry with that type. Overall, I certainly have my differences with this type, but this personality helps me lighten up and relax a little. Maybe I'm just use to this type since I've lived with one for over a decade. I think if my brother was not related to me we would be somewhere between acquaintances and friends. I do not aspire to become this type at all, but I do admire their love for life and people. They may annoy, stress out, and anger me at times, however I can't imagine life without them. They certainly make the world a happier place.

Reactions: Donovan

·
Registered
620 Posts
Can you explain what a shadow type is?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
For me, as a heterosexual male ENFP, I find attractive ISTJ females in my age range the most attractive of any type. As for other ISTJ females as well as ISTJ males, I find them respectable, interesting, and a bit odd in a good way. I generally like ISTJ's a lot, though I'm not too fond of having one in charge of me because I pay poor attention to detail and find attempting to very tedious.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
Those aren't technically shadow types because they are using all your conscious functions (ISTJ and ENFP are just mirrors of one another). In order for something to be shadow it has to be unconscious (thus the term 'shadow'). The types you mention just have your functions in the reverse order. It's more of a compensation thing or their strength is your weakness. True shadow type would be to have all the opposing function attitudes, so INFP for example would have ENFJ as a shadow type.

·
Registered
620 Posts
So basically I determine my own shadow? Interesting. Time to figure out what mine is.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
No your shadow is everything about yourself that you are not aware of. That would be things like complexes, repressed memories (really repressed anything), weaknesses, etc. That's why its called the shadow, literally like the shadow you cast when you are walking down the street, you can't see it but often people around you can.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
STJ, NFP shadows: STP, NFJ
SFP, NTJ shadows: SFJ, NTP

Introversion and extroversion don't change functions (well, different order), but judging and perceiving do.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I often become my shadow to fit in with groups, to hide my reserved/cold mask so people will accept me. Especially if there are people in there I want to like me, and subconsciously realize they might not like my true personality. I guess it's just coming to terms with my own personality and accepting myself, while trying to improve myself as well. So when that mask slips or I take it away people often ask me, "are you tired/sad/sulking/jealous/mad/etc?"
Nope. I'm just myself.

Really, I don't have much to say about the opposite of me because I don't know much about it, only I would find her spontaneous and annoying, probably, and unorganized and lazy and silly and all the things I pretend to be in front of my friends that really, I'm not, it's just that nobody ever cares to find out.

Reactions: Iridescent

·
Registered
398 Posts
When my shadow type, ENFJ, comes out. It's the worst of times. I'll be openly emotional. This is related very much to the few times I cried. It's also when my rage gets out of control, which also happened twice in my life. It becomes careless hate. My shadow type can surface and stabilize. If that does happen however, it's NOT a good thing. Let's say everything that I worked for becomes undone. My alignment gets twisted upside down.

You can see my shadow within the details of my daily life. Like when I'm passive aggressive, or react with negative emotions. Or when you see me being over-dramatic. It's also why I love making sarcastic jokes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts