Personality Cafe banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
INFP 4w5/9w1
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently discovered this. According to social psychologist Shalom Schwartz, there are 10 universal values that are comprehensive and can be broadly applied.

The 10 value domains are:
Power: Social status and prestige, control or dominance over people and resources.
Achievement: Personal success through demonstrating competence according to social standards.
Hedonism: Pleasure or sensuous gratification for oneself.
Stimulation: Excitement, novelty, and challenge in life.
Self-direction: Independent thought and action—choosing, creating, exploring.
Universalism: Understanding, appreciation, tolerance, and protection for the welfare of all people and for nature.
Benevolence: Preservation and enhancement of the welfare of people with whom one is in frequent personal contact.
Tradition: Respect, commitment, and acceptance of the customs and ideas that traditional culture or religion provide.
Conformity: Restraint of actions, inclinations, and impulses likely to upset or harm others and violate social expectations or norms.
Security: Safety, harmony, and stability of society, of relationships, and of self.

I have found an interpretation of the circumplex which attempts to map Shalom Schwartz's 10 values, corresponding them to the MBTI personality types.

According to this blog author's interpretation, the values:
Power, Security are prioritised by xSTJ personality types
Security, Conformity, Tradition, Benevolence are prioritised by xSFJ personality types
Benevolence, Universalism are prioritised by NF personality types
Universalism, Self-Direction are prioritised by NT personality types
Self-Direction, Stimulation, Hedonism are prioritised by xSFP personality types
Hedonism, Achievement, Power are prioritised by xSTP personality types

Just like attempts to correspond Enneagram types with MBTI types, there might be people who are outliers based on lived experience. Generally speaking, at a glance I find that the values do align with the inclinations/dispositions of the personality types.

Any thoughts?

Sources:

· Host
24,840 Posts
Recently discovered this. According to social psychologist Shalom Schwartz, there are 10 universal values that are comprehensive and can be broadly applied.

The 10 value domains are:
Power: Social status and prestige, control or dominance over people and resources.
Achievement: Personal success through demonstrating competence according to social standards.
Hedonism: Pleasure or sensuous gratification for oneself.
Stimulation: Excitement, novelty, and challenge in life.
Self-direction: Independent thought and action—choosing, creating, exploring.
Universalism: Understanding, appreciation, tolerance, and protection for the welfare of all people and for nature.
Benevolence: Preservation and enhancement of the welfare of people with whom one is in frequent personal contact.
Tradition: Respect, commitment, and acceptance of the customs and ideas that traditional culture or religion provide.
Conformity: Restraint of actions, inclinations, and impulses likely to upset or harm others and violate social expectations or norms.
Security: Safety, harmony, and stability of society, of relationships, and of self.

I have found an interpretation of the circumplex which attempts to map Shalom Schwartz's 10 values, corresponding them to the MBTI personality types.

According to this blog author's interpretation, the values:
Power, Security are prioritised by xSTJ personality types
Security, Conformity, Tradition, Benevolence are prioritised by xSFJ personality types
Benevolence, Universalism are prioritised by NF personality types
Universalism, Self-Direction are prioritised by NT personality types
Self-Direction, Stimulation, Hedonism are prioritised by xSFP personality types
Hedonism, Achievement, Power are prioritised by xSTP personality types

Just like attempts to correspond Enneagram types with MBTI types, there might be people who are outliers based on lived experience. Generally speaking, at a glance I find that the values do align with the inclinations/dispositions of the personality types.

Any thoughts?

Sources:

I am intrigued. I plan to do some independent research on the subject (that's high praise from someone like me).

Reactions: Deezzee

· Registered
ENxP / IEE-Ne
312 Posts
Keep in mind that here "universal" means "found in all cultures", not "comprehensive". The definition of "Achivement" is a bit narrow that it doesn't include personal achievement for example - but I wouldn't be surprised if that concept legitimately wasn't a cultural universal and hence was excluded.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts