Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would make this thread for us to share the things that enhance our quality of life. This includes anything like good habits, regimens, remedies, songs that pull you out of depression... you get the idea.

I feel this needs to be shared. It's completely natural so I'm not promoting any brand, and still, you should consult your doctor with any supplementation: it's called TMG and it is extracted purely from beets. It's an awesome natural (and really safe so far as I've researched) anti-depressant and it helps my mind focus better as well. I'm all for natural remedies/cures so I'm often scanning sites like curezone and earthclinic.

This next activity helps me free my creativity. It's called "morning pages" from the book "the artists way." Basically you write in a notebook every single morning--2 pages about ANYTHING. The idea is to write without being critical of yourself (stream writing), so you're forcing the logical side of you brain to shut up. There's no reason to be embarrassed with what flows from your pen...you don't even have to look at what you wrote ever again. It has helped me remove my creative fears and inhibitions, plus it's a nice way to release all the junk in your head in the morning to enjoy the rest of your day.

That's what I got for now.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Well, something that helped me today was remembering that people aren't obstacles to overcome - they're just people. Sometimes I catch myself trying to make people like me, and acting in a certain way to try and gain their acceptance/friendship. But when I remember that phrase the "obstacle" of gaining their acceptance disappears.

Oh! And "Age of Worry" of John Mayer's new album Born and Raised. I love it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Sometimes I go through periods where I just lock myself up in my room for days and don't really care much for what's going on outside of my own little world. During this time, I usually watch movies and shows that have can evoke a lot of emotion. I don't think it's depression, but more like "me time". I'll admit that I often watch romantic comedies or dramas that include romance. Though, I only seem to like the independent romantic comedies and what not because big hollywood productions with big name actors often don't come off as genuine -and the story usually sucks. But the movies that punch me in the nose with a fist full of feelings are movies that usually involve great acts of forgiveness, redemption, selflessness, and unconditional love all in the name of the greater good. I guess during those periods, I just need to have a good cry paired with happy and ecstatic outbursts of emotion.

Your morning pages routine sounds interesting and like something that I'd want to do. The problem is that I have ADD/ADHD so I can have a terrible work ethic and tend not to stick to routines. Which brings me to another life enhancer! -at least for me anyways. Before I was prescribed adderall, which helps a ton, I was a very lazy student. It was typical for me to get an A on a test and an F in homework. It also helps my over all general work ethic and in turn makes me feel better because I am being productive. I find that adderall generally increases my overall quality of life. (Hope this doesn't sound too much like an advertisement and challenges the rules):rolleyes:

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, something that helped me today was remembering that people aren't obstacles to overcome - they're just people. Sometimes I catch myself trying to make people like me, and acting in a certain way to try and gain their acceptance/friendship. But when I remember that phrase the "obstacle" of gaining their acceptance disappears.
That's a great tip. Sometimes I try so hard to "fit" with someone that I have absolutely nothing in common with, and I end up with an awkward friendship.

·
Registered
213 Posts
If I want to feel energized I listen to this song:

If I want to feel happy/hopeful I listen to this song:

If I want to feel like going on a journey I listen to this song: (actually the whole TEE album... but this gets it going in style)

If I want to feel like destroying something I listen to this song:
Myspace Music Player

If I want to feel like having a funky party I listen to this song:

·
Registered
68 Posts
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

J R R Tolkien

The first stanza kind of speaks to me I guess so thought it was worth sharing. The second though is more in the context of Lord of the Rings.

·
Registered
325 Posts
For me it's a cup of tea, something sugary (cookie or pastry) and watching something good on YouTube or a movie. This is usually my "quick fix" to make me happy. Or I will go on flickr, tumblr, pinterest and look at cool stuff. I also love goodreads.com and read my subscription and books I like.

My long term fix is to do something that will get me closer to my goals and dreams. Things like planning for something I have been wanting to do and try to materialize it for the future. Taking steps in the right direction and not sulk to myself about my worries and depression. After a while it is tiring for me to feel sorry for myself. Even though it's very hard at times, I'm a hopeless optimistic and try to think of the future in a good way of accomplishing my goals.

Another thing I haven't tried is taking st. Johnswort or Valerian as a herbal anti anxiety/depression supplement. It's natural and probably better to use than the pharmaceutical junk.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've found other things since I started this post:

-International travel - It's really fun, kind of adventurous, and makes you appreciate home.
-Getting married - I didn't think it would be this great, but I guess it's kind of a crapshoot if you end up with an incompatible person.
-Having a child - Didn't think I wanted one, kept hearing people say "You'll see." Dang, they were right!
-Going to the park, and sitting on the grass, watching clouds, reading, or observing people.
-Trying to number and appreciate every blessing I have

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
If you're anything like me, what you'll probably regret more than anything is not living life/taking risks because you're scared of making mistakes and having regrets. (Ironic, huh?)

Also, (along the same lines as the last sentence) don't be afraid to go out and get what you want. Definitely do not let fear dictate your life. Always choose love.

One more thing, we're often our greatest critics, so be careful not to be too hard on yourself. You're beautiful, and (I apologize if you're not spiritual, I don't mean to press my own beliefs on you but) God loves you.

Reactions: Zebedee
1 - 14 of 14 Posts