Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
@INTP_Polly You have some beautiful work! I'm especially fond of your swan and the leaves on your trees (I have a leaves issue, I love drawing/painting trunks of trees, but leaves...)

How about incomplete art? I don't know if this happens to you guys, but you start a drawing, you're really liking what you have and you don't know how to do the next chunk so you get kinda nervous... you've already invested hours into this thing and you probably can't do it again and if you mess up the next part, it's done.

I usually pull it off, but it can be kinda stressful. That's where I am now. I have this lion statue and this arch, but the leaves might kill me.
. IMG_0502.jpg

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@INTP_Polly You have some beautiful work! I'm especially fond of your swan and the leaves on your trees (I have a leaves issue, I love drawing/painting trunks of trees, but leaves...)

How about incomplete art? I don't know if this happens to you guys, but you start a drawing, you're really liking what you have and you don't know how to do the next chunk so you get kinda nervous... you've already invested hours into this thing and you probably can't do it again and if you mess up the next part, it's done.

I usually pull it off, but it can be kinda stressful. That's where I am now. I have this lion statue and this arch, but the leaves might kill me. I'll post a pic up once I get home and maybe you guys can help me past my artists block.

I have a whole closet full of unfinished paintings.

I tried sculpting once just to see if I could do it but I didn't put a whole lot of effort in because it was temporary clay. I liked it but it was a little harder than I anticipated.

nativeinjacket.jpg

pirate.jpg

I can really relate to worrying you'll screw it up part when it comes to painting/sculpting. So much effort to fix if you screw up and it might never go back the same way. It's why I think I used to sketch a lot. Quick, easy and erasers.

I only have pics of a couple of my sketches. Here is one I did when I was PMSing a long time ago. Because INTPs have no emotions right? lol

PMS.jpg

·
Registered
574 Posts
Um...here, just a few, since there is a limit of 5.

incredible doodle.jpg Lily.jpg Lillith light.jpg Lucas.jpg grapes.jpg

um, the first one is a doodle, but turned out pretty cool, this is digital. and then a watercolour thing of a girl with flower hair. and then another girl with flowers in her hair, this one is digital though. and then there is a little boy, its a Burger King ad thing. and then a girl, with grapes in her hair, watercolour as well.

As you can see most of my stuff are anime-styled.... and I'm still working on improving my watercolours. I really like flowers and hair and soft colours. I'd say traditional art is always the best, although digital art is really convenient, nothing feels better than the texture of real paper.

·
Registered
965 Posts
As someone who is just getting started with drawing and sketching, I want to ask: what tools do you guys use? I need a list of everything that might be needed.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As someone who is just getting started with drawing and sketching, I want to ask: what tools do you guys use? I need a list of everything that might be needed.
I agree with Ryo. Pencil, paper, and white erasers. I prefer using actual sketch book paper (you can get at any stationary store pretty much). If you want to experiment just maybe pick up a set of charcoal pencils and coloured pencils to go over/highlight your pencil sketches.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I agree with Ryo. Pencil, paper, and white erasers. I prefer using actual sketch book paper (you can get at any stationary store pretty much). If you want to experiment just maybe pick up a set of charcoal pencils and coloured pencils to go over/highlight your pencil sketches.
I recently got all of that – charcoal pencils, graphite pencils, and so on. I am using a Moleskine notebook for now.

The reason I even asked this seemingly dumb question was to confirm what people who are more devoted to art use.

·
King of Seduction
ENTJ
7,408 Posts
I channeled my inner non-creative the other day and made an "modern" art piece.
Basically it's entire point was to add color to my place. Actually came out decent for my first oil painting.
And yes it's essentially just a color gradient - not creative at all ;)
I made it because I wanted color and I didn't want to pay a ton of money for a painting I could easily do.
Took me about 3 hours.

I thank Bob Ross' for his tutelage on oil painting I vaguely remember as a child.
I also thank Crate & Barrel for their color scheme inspiration.
I thank countless stores like Z Gallerie for showing me how ridiculously priced simple paintings can be.
And last but not least I thank myself for being cheap, 40 bucks for a large painting - not bad.
:cool:

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I recently got all of that – charcoal pencils, graphite pencils, and so on. I am using a Moleskine notebook for now.

The reason I even asked this seemingly dumb question was to confirm what people who are more devoted to art use.
Yeah pretty much the same stuff just I don't sketch much anymore other than doodle during boring meetings. Some of the best artists I know use some pretty strange stuff even childrens chalk. Whatever works for you.

·
King of Seduction
ENTJ
7,408 Posts

Depends on your level of devotion and personal preferences and mediums.
I like strathmore paper for any drawing in pencil/pen/charcoal/chalk, I like staedtler pencils.
I actually will take just any ball point pen and do some good stuff with it.
Not this level 25 Photorealistic Pictures Drawn with a BIC Pen | Bored Panda (he draws on a huge scale) but you get the idea.
In terms of other mediums not too sure, I just purchased mid level oil paints and the cheapest canvas I could get and it seemed to be fine.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I channeled my inner non-creative the other day and made an "modern" art piece.
Basically it's entire point was to add color to my place. Actually came out decent for my first oil painting.
And yes it's essentially just a color gradient - not creative at all ;)
I made it because I wanted color and I didn't want to pay a ton of money for a painting I could easily do.
Took me about 3 hours.

I thank Bob Ross' for his tutelage on oil painting I vaguely remember as a child.
I also thank Crate & Barrel for their color scheme inspiration.
I thank countless stores like Z Gallerie for showing me how ridiculously priced simple paintings can be.
And last but not least I thank myself for being cheap, 40 bucks for a large painting - not bad.
:cool:
I've got paintings like that. I call them making my furniture look like it matches art.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Oh ya, these are the threads that make me feel about 2 feet tall. Jeez this forum has some talented people in it.

Reactions: that

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@Iamtp I dunno what you're talking about, I just love seeing your posts even if its just to come into a thread to say hi. You're reassuring sort of like how seeing a Tim Hortons is to Canadians.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
@Iamtp I dunno what you're talking about, I just love seeing your posts even if its just to come into a thread to say hi. You're reassuring sort of like how seeing a Tim Hortons is to Canadians.
Well shucky darn! Thanks.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I'd get only a pencil or a few with different softnesses and good paper. It's better to keep it simple so you can just start drawing. I wouldn't even worry about getting an eraser for sketching. For me the idea of sketching is to practice drawing very freely; it's about learning how to use your hand and eyes together and about "good line". So I think it's better to start over instead of redoing the same piece over and over again.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts