Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this has been done already but wanted to see what everyone's phobias are and why.

I'll start:

I have a phobia of the ocean/oceans and large bodies of water.
Technically dubbed,"Thalassophobia". I'm sure this is related to the fact that i fell through some ice on a small river when i was 4 and could have drowned were it not for a few courageous people that intervened. I absolutely cannot get remotely close to the ocean or step foot in it. I honestly fear that if I ever were to end up in the ocean i would immediately drown/die/something else will kill me. Whales scare the shit out of me, even though I've read and have seen people swim with them and what not. I know that it's unbalanced and extreme but something just snaps in me even just thinking about it. A family member got me on a beach in Florida once and i had a type of panic attack and had to run back to the car and try to calm myself afterwards.

Information on that specifically here: Thalassophobia - sea fear, ocean fear, lake fear, pond fear, lagoon fear, sea phobia, ocean phobia, lake phobia, pond phobia, lagoon phobia, fear of the sea, fear of seas, fear of the ocean, fear of oceans, fear of lakes, fear of ponds, fear of lagoo

Can anyone else relate to having a phobia/phobias?

Definition of Phobia:

A phobia is a strong,persistent fear of situations,objects,activities,or persons. The main symptom of this disorder is the excessive, unreasonable desire to avoid the feared subject. Phobias are believed to be developed by heredity,genetics and brain-chemistry combine with life-experiences.

It's still amazing and maybe hard to believe that a phobia could be heredity,genetically influenced. As far as I know no one in my family has any phobias save 1 cousin who has it with spiders.
I know with me it has to be linked to almost drowning when i was 4. Genetics though? But that's another topic better saved for the debate forum maybe.....or here i don't care.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Spiders really scare me.. no matter how little they are ... I'm also afraid of heights...

Reactions: cityofcircuits

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
@Staffan

Dwarfs really? That's interesting, i haven't heard of that one yet although I'm sure there's a phobia for just about everything.
It's called nanosophobia so given it has a name there must be other people who have it too. I didn't say anything about it for years because I thought it was so ridiculous.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
barophobia -- fear of gravity failing. i had to conquer my agoraphobia which this brought on. and i did conquer it. 16+ hrs in a car straight the other day, i think i'm doing well. and i can fly on aircraft now. i researched, gave myself exposure therapy.

now the barophobia, it only acts up when i'm already anxious and my imagination starts to screw with me. i have it under control other than just having a really deeply disturbing fantasy here and there.

anyway yeah, just getting out there and exposing yourself (hehe) works wonders.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Not sure if this has been done already but wanted to see what everyone's phobias are and why.

I'll start:

I have a phobia of the ocean/oceans and large bodies of water.
Technically dubbed,"Thalassophobia". I'm sure this is related to the fact that i fell through some ice on a small river when i was 4 and could have drowned were it not for a few courageous people that intervened. I absolutely cannot get remotely close to the ocean or step foot in it. I honestly fear that if I ever were to end up in the ocean i would immediately drown/die/something else will kill me. Whales scare the shit out of me, even though I've read and have seen people swim with them and what not. I know that it's unbalanced and extreme but something just snaps in me even just thinking about it. A family member got me on a beach in Florida once and i had a type of panic attack and had to run back to the car and try to calm myself afterwards.

Information on that specifically here: Thalassophobia - sea fear, ocean fear, lake fear, pond fear, lagoon fear, sea phobia, ocean phobia, lake phobia, pond phobia, lagoon phobia, fear of the sea, fear of seas, fear of the ocean, fear of oceans, fear of lakes, fear of ponds, fear of lagoo

Can anyone else relate to having a phobia/phobias?

Definition of Phobia:

A phobia is a strong,persistent fear of situations,objects,activities,or persons. The main symptom of this disorder is the excessive, unreasonable desire to avoid the feared subject. Phobias are believed to be developed by heredity,genetics and brain-chemistry combine with life-experiences.

It's still amazing and maybe hard to believe that a phobia could be heredity,genetically influenced. As far as I know no one in my family has any phobias save 1 cousin who has it with spiders.
I know with me it has to be linked to almost drowning when i was 4. Genetics though? But that's another topic better saved for the debate forum maybe.....or here i don't care.
That is scary to think about falling in the ice! Especially to a 4 year old. I guess I was a weirdo because I jumped into a river when I was 3 and my dad had to jump in and save me. I guess I said "Watch this" and took off. There were a few other times so I am going to say that I didn't have a normal healthy fear of the water when I was little. Thankfully, they finally taught me to swim.

What you describe certainly is a phobia! I can relate because I was scared of dolls. There is a name for it. I finally grew out of it in the last few years and I am 38 years old. It was so bad that once I had to have my husband take one daughter's dolls and put it in a box in the attic because I would fret about it at night. I played with dolls when I was little but I would never sleep in my room with them or enter a room with a doll if it was at night.

Im positive it all stemmed from my brothers' telling me my dolls were going to come alive at midnight and kill me when I was very small. NICE! lol

On a positive note, while the phobia lasted (from the age of 4-35)my children liked to make fun of me. Like once my son hanged a doll from the attic opening when I walked into the garage at night. Or putting a doll under my pillow or the foot of my bed while I was sleeping. I got out of the shower once and they had barbie's set up all along the bathroom counter staring at me. They had fun while it lasted.

I don't know what in the world changed, honestly. While I am still hyper aware of dolls, I don't have the "phobia" part where I freak out anymore. I can sleep in the room with a doll. I don't fret about the two dolls in my daughter's room or that Barbie's are everywhere. None of it ever made sense but it was real and it was there.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
@Promethea

I don't have a problem exposing myself it's oceans I'm afraid of
Can you remember how this started? I remember how my agoraphobia started. I was already extremely anxious, bordering on panic, and I looked up at the sky which was very overcast and white that evening. My imagination was already screwing with me, so I was primed.. I gazed up at it, and -bam- felt like I was going to fall in. I was panic stricken, and it took me a long time to recover.

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
I think what @Promethea means is that you have to expose yourself to the stimulus itself. Meaning you have to actually go swim in the ocean to get rid of the fear. Of course, if that makes you too uncomfortable or downright anxious, you should at least think about it while relaxed and then gradually work your way towards actually facing (or enacting) the fear.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
I think what @Promethea means is that you have to expose yourself to the stimulus itself. Meaning you have to actually go swim in the ocean to get rid of the fear. Of course, if that makes you too uncomfortable or downright anxious, you should at least think about it while relaxed and then gradually work your way towards actually facing (or enacting) the fear.
Yeah. And to face the fear when you aren't already feeling anxious. Like on a calm day, just go sit on the beach. Keep that up for a while, make a new association.

When combating my agoraphobia, I would absolutely not go for a drive when I was already anxious. I would only go out when I was calm, and stay out for as long as possible. Eventually I could remain calm.

When the negative feelings do arise, don't engage them. Don't have a dialogue with them. Know they will pass as mysteriously as they arrived.

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
Yeah. And to face the fear when you aren't already feeling anxious. Like on a calm day, just go sit on the beach. Keep that up for a while, make a new association.

When combating my agoraphobia, I would absolutely not go for a drive when I was already anxious. I would only go out when I was calm, and stay out for as long as possible. Eventually I could remain calm.

When the negative feelings do arise, don't engage them. Don't have a dialogue with them. Know they will pass as mysteriously as they arrived.
Exactly. The association you already have is that of the ocean and anxiety/fear/panic/negative feelings. What you have to do is create an altogether new association, which is relaxation or a positive state of mind with the feared stimulus. Do it again and again and again until the association is well established in your mind.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok i guess my joke was just that bad....

When i said i didn't have a problem exposing myself i meant it in the context of 'exposing' oneself in public naked wise like a flasher.....haha.

Sorry it was an ill conceived joke

1 - 20 of 96 Posts