Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 38 years old, after 7 years of being a software developer, a change was imminent I felt; I wasn't really keen on picking up on new stuff anymore after the 4th - 5th year into the developer's job (it can be fatal as a developer). I then considered my options and was convinced that project management was the route to go as it is deemed as the 'conventional' transition in the IT software industry.

Eventually, I managed to get a PM job and that's where the nightmare begins. In just 2 weeks, all juice was sucked out of me, the boss, the meetings with high ranking stakeholders, preparing a myriad of documents scrutinized by multiple project drivers. There wasn't a single aspect of this highly structured job I could decently handle, while I am sure some of those would improve in time, the part where I had to meet clients from govt agencies and perform task delegation almost on a daily basis gave me sleepless nights, my boss had been tanking all the meetings which I am supposed to conduct, yet I am still struggling to even keep up with their discussion and as you guys know for a INFP to ask questions, not to mention doing it openly is like asking him/her to sky dive without a parachute.

I did however found out that the job requirements were quite a mismatch with the description given to me before and during the interview. I am not sure if they did this just so they could easily source more candidates and pay them lower salaries to perform tasks beyond their capacity.

Well, I have quitted the job without having to serve the notice period, my company and agency had a hard time dealing with me but eventually obliged to my multiple appeals of not having to compensate any parties.

Feeling kinda lost right now, trying to know more about this personality thing and hopefully will aid me in making better career decisions.

Have you guys ever landed yourself in similar situations? Would like to hear from you fellow INFP folks!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I'm confused. So, you quit your current job, and now you are free? Interviewing, etc.? My husband went through this recently, and we sent about a zillion resumes and cover letters (composed by yours truly - I swear if we were one person we'd be awesome), and it took about three months before he ended up staying at his current job for more money. He's not really an anxious person - more just feel like his job options were limited.

I think with any new job (and honestly, I have only had a couple of them), it seems like it is often hard to tell if you're going to like it until you're in it. I don't really know about your field, but I do help with some recruiting in my office, and I know a lot of times the new people I get in here are surprised that the job itself is not exactly like what the job posting said. A lot of them don't make it. And, honestly, the people who make it are usually the people who have the right personality vs. actual capability.

One of my fears is leaving my job for another one, only to find out it is not how it was advertised. So, I can see how that would be annoying. Do you feel relieved to be free for now though? It sounds like you did the right thing leaving if that is what you did.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm confused. So, you quit your current job, and now you are free? Interviewing, etc.? My husband went through this recently, and we sent about a zillion resumes and cover letters (composed by yours truly - I swear if we were one person we'd be awesome), and it took about three months before he ended up staying at his current job for more money. He's not really an anxious person - more just feel like his job options were limited.

I think with any new job (and honestly, I have only had a couple of them), it seems like it is often hard to tell if you're going to like it until you're in it. I don't really know about your field, but I do help with some recruiting in my office, and I know a lot of times the new people I get in here are surprised that the job itself is not exactly like what the job posting said. A lot of them don't make it. And, honestly, the people who make it are usually the people who have the right personality vs. actual capability.

One of my fears is leaving my job for another one, only to find out it is not how it was advertised. So, I can see how that would be annoying. Do you feel relieved to be free for now though? It sounds like you did the right thing leaving if that is what you did.
Yea I left just shortly after 2 weeks, was fortunate enough to still get paid and yes definitely feeling much relieved now! The next hurdle would be what to do next, I don't really mind a pay drop, even a substantial one in exchange for a career I can stay until retirement or at least a good couple of years and of course be able to pay bills.

I have come to realise several things of my working life as an INFP, a lot of us probably love to explore and learn new things but it doesn't always mean you will be great at it. Despite doing horrendously in maths during my high school days, I took up software engineering to challenge myself and challenging it was for me. Nevertheless, I really came to enjoy it in time, mostly due to the fact that I can work in solitude with little supervision while engaging with 'puzzles' all day long.

But while I had my moments with my software engineering career, I have to admit I have never really been good at it despite the hours put in. Analytical thinking evidently isn't my forte and I have been compensating it in my work with either copy and paste solutions or quick and dirty workarounds to catch up with deadlines. Sometimes I would look at fellow designer or front-end developer colleagues work and wonder if I should be on their team instead since I have an eye for beauty I thought.

As for my short stint as a PM, it was a plain mistake thinking I could handle people, documents and stringent deadlines. Of course one could argue that I should grit my teeth and bear with it. I just don't see it worth while doing so, even if I would one day excel in it.

Right now, I am considering counselling(I think having empathy for others comes naturally to an INFP) and photography at the moment, the latter would be more appealing due to my long time interest but also aware that once it becomes a job, the business aspect will take precedence over photography itself not to mention the unpredictable income.

Well, I am still very much in the dilemma zone. I have to figure this out on my own but I believe this is the right place(this forum) where most people can relate to my problems and hopefully, enable fellow INFPs who face similar issues to understand that we are not alone and fighting this together. :abnormal:

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
@k80sg - Counseling makes sense. I know two INFP males they are both counselors - one works with inmates and the other is a guidance counselor. From what I gather, the Guidance Counselor enjoys his job more than the one working with prison mates. That makes sense to me since I would think the latter would be more emotionally draining for an INFP. The reason I have steered away from that profession myself is that I wouldn't want to abide by the rules put on me by the institution or have to think about the legalities involved. I enjoy counseling friends and family members for fun, but I think the formal part of it would be hard for me.

Best of luck to you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts