Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is meant to be vague, because I would like highly subjective answers and intrepretations upon reading and thinking about such questions to be welcome (Especially INFP's aka idealists)

1) When you have a lot of good new ideas, by logical extension or on an ethical feeling level do you feel that you must share them?

2) Do you feel you need more outside validation or encouragement for most of your creative flows or only some of them?

3) Do you think society/humanity will be better if people are more open when it comes to sharing their creative, personal ideas and thoughts or it depends? Or not, depending on how you interpret such an issue via your intuitions and logic?

4) If you feel that you are very creative idealistic and empathetic, do you feel you earn some sort of 'right' for your gifts to be accepted by a lot of people?

5) Do you think there should be more set social consensus for how personal creativity should be developed?

Take your time to think about it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hmm.. interesting questions.

1) When you have a lot of good new ideas, by logical extension or on an ethical feeling level do you feel that you must share them?

By an ethical feeling I certainly feel they are important, at least to me. I only share them if they are ideas that are truly ready to be born yet, though, as I don't like to put undeveloped ideas out there (this is creatively, though, topics on forums aren't always the same way for me). I might feel compelled to share them with another creative, but not always and only if it's the right kind of person.

2) Do you feel you need more outside validation or encouragement for most of your creative flows or only some of them?

No, not really. I tend to keep my ideas inside until they are fully developed. I'm stocking up so I can write some graphic novels someday and actually do something with my ideas that will hopefully reach some people. I am very happy with myself just by being happy with my own ideas.

However, if it isn't an idea that is rooted in some deep ethical place (when Fi isn't very involved), and I don't have enough faith in it, I might feel like I need to share it with someone to verify that it's good. When I create visual art, I like to show it to people to get an idea of its quality and see if others connect to it, as well.

3) Do you think society/humanity will be better if people are more open when it comes to sharing their creative, personal ideas and thoughts or it depends? Or not, depending on how you interpret such an issue via your intuitions and logic?

It really depends. I'm quite happy being around other intuitive types who are open with sharing the random ideas they get all the time, and I love doing that, too. Some ideas however, are so important to me that I feel they shouldn't be put out there yet until they are channeled through a medium that fits them, so they will be more fully understood by those hearing them. And there are definitely people in the world who are just waiting around looking for ideas to steal. If those people didn't exist, sure, it would definitely make a positive impact on the world if everyone was open about their ideas. But I'm a bit paranoid, having had close run-ins with idea thieves in the past... :unsure:

4) If you feel that you are very creative idealistic and empathetic, do you feel you earn some sort of 'right' for your gifts to be accepted by a lot of people?

No, not really. I do feel that I am very creative, idealistic, and empathetic, but that gives me no special rights. I think those qualities speak for themselves, and I know that if I present my ideas right I have the potential to do something great for the world. However, I still have to compete with all the uninspired yet somehow popular crap that's out there, and that's just how it is. But I think my gifts do have the power to touch the kinds of people they were intended for.

5) Do you think there should be more set social consensus for how personal creativity should be developed?

Social consensus is crap :crazy: No but really, I think society in general should be a lot more accepting of creativity. Especially, kids should be allowed to express themselves fully, and not shoved into tiny little boxes of obedience and conformity. Adults should never be looked down on for being creative or eccentric as well. It is our differences, our originalities that make each and every one of us unique and beautiful. The world should embrace that. We need more freedom!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
This is meant to be vague, because I would like highly subjective answers and intrepretations upon reading and thinking about such questions to be welcome (Especially INFP's aka idealists)

Take your time to think about it.
I enjoy sharing ideas - I'm pretty much a bouncing ball of energy until I get the chance to rush someone through all the steps and stopping points that led to The Idea and then I wait for them to go, "yay! Awesome" or "Um.... let's look at this part again." As for the motivation behind sharing them, I'd say it's more related to the whole logical perspective - I want other opinions and thoughts and to see if I can get the ball rolling through someone else. I know how I am, and follow up is not my best skill, so if I can get the spark started in someone else... well, then the idea may actually go somewhere.

I need internal validation before sharing anything. I may seek outside validation as well, but only after I have determined whether it is something that I have already come to my own conclusion about. I don't care how much I like you, trust you, value your opinion, or love you, I will not share something until I have decided I am ready to share it. I will occasionally go out and ask opinions to determine if I'm heading in the general right direction for my target audience, but generally speaking, most of my creative projects are internally driven.

I think any society can always use more cooperative sharing and merging of ideas, concepts, and creations. We all think differently and so something that to one person is only a quirky hobby is actually the catalyst for a brand new product and design that will change how we do things. It's not always that extreme, but there are countless examples of something growing far beyond what the original creator ever imagined it would.

-Edit- just realized I missed question 4 - I don't feel that I have any more rights than others to have my ideas or creative pursuits be accepted above or in front of others. About 98% of my ideas or whatnot are not new, won't work, or just plain suck. I'm thinking that most people are in a similar boat. Some people just have a LOT of ideas in general and so they are going to have more Fantastic and ZOMG! ideas than others just by shear numbers. The really smart ones are able to recognize the differences before speaking and so they look incredibly good when all their spoken ideas/creative pursuits are wonderful things while they prevent us from seeing their waste basket full of hundreds of things that never made it past stage 2 of their creative process. Kinda off topic, but there it is.

Nope - don't tell me how to create/think and I won't tell you how to create/think. I believe there should actually be more ways to encourage creativity because we all have it, we just don't know how to access it and what works for you most likely will not work for me. But I can still learn so much from seeing how things work for others because maybe you take a right where I take a left and we're both given a similar opportunity for explosive creative growth with few to no limitations.

Reactions: Raichan and Lad

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Need to share?
Not particularly. I feel like most people will not fully be able to grasp my set of ideas and thus much of it could be frivolous. If someone genuinely inquires about it though, then I will "talk to myself" and have them overhear my views.

Validation?
To an extent, I usually ask people what they think about certain things. I rarely get the actual feedback I'm looking for, but since most of my ideas are intended to cater to a specific audience (similar to the person I'm trying to get validation from) I need their views. It's like asking a cow to try the milk you made. (weird way to put it, but you get the idea).

Better if more people open up?
No, I have little faith in -most- people. I hear far too many uneducated and even unwanted opinions as it is. I do appreciate the odd idea, but if the market gets flooded with too many views I may just give up entirely on trying to sort through all of them.

Do I think too highly of myself?
For the most part. I value reflective types in general though. Their ideas usually don't come at a whim and often have lotssss of thought put into them. As such, I think these people are a bit more entitled.

Society and creative development.
The standard school system is the most uninspiring place for me and I feel it's very damaging to creativity. Right now it seems like there's only -really- 2 types of schooling, public and religious-private. There are a few others, but those are immensely rare. Montessori system has my eye though, but I'll have to look into it a bit more. There was another one that I think a lot of INFPs would love, but the name escapes me... It almost sounds like it's something out of Harry Potter (never read / watched the movies though, just from what I've heard from people talking about it).

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Izzie, I love those questions you ask because they really encourage me to think about things.

Yes I do. Over the years as my understanding grew so did the urge to finally share some of it with the world. Being a born and bred introvert I am still reluctant and careful but I am improving.

No, somewhat to my surprise I found out I do not require that much outside validation. It helps, but its not necessary.

Yes, definitely. A new era is upon us and good communication and learning to get to know other from all over the world is becoming critically important for the future of humanity.

Right? No, I do not have any rights. Every one has their own responsibility to learn about things. They are under no obligation whatsoever to recognise me or my gifts. Let everyone do as I do, investigate all things and keep which is good.

No. I am a liberal. Freedom for everyone to develop in their own way. More and more I am seeing just how fundamentally different we all are. We need diversity like we need the air that we breathe.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am impressed by how honest and open the answers are..I figured I should also answer my own thread.

Some of my values and feelings are linked very strongly to moderation and balance. I like the idea of being a moderate individual, being able to be a person that serves my culture and society well while at the same time having room to be true to a very personal side of me.

I deal with this on a case by case basis. In other words, it depends. I am aware that certain facts and situations are not as fixed as people think they are.

Only if I have grown to the point that I feel I am good enough, no, I would not need to feel validated.

This really depends on the shifts in flows of globalization in the future, and since I can't predict it, I won't give a fixed answer. As for idea thiefs, I know myself enough to know that even if some people steal my ideas, I will still be able to think up better and even more complex but richer ideas. Plus, I like the idea that I have helped people see things that they might not have considered before rather than feeling like I might unconsciously take advantage of anyone by hiding certain information. I hate elitisim, because I am aware of how the fast the world can change, whether most people want to admit it or not.

I believe people should be more open minded, but I do not believe in forcing my ideas down anybody's throat.

Again this depends. (Case by case basis, hah)

·
Registered
3,190 Posts

Well, logic only gives me subjects of things to play by ear. If something's on the outside, it stays on the outside. I share what I feel can help others, even if I can't make any sense of the creations made. Like an external fire causes my feelings to come out to play, and douse the fire with creativity.

If it's there, it's there. If it's not, why should I care? Outside validation only serves to make me think about things, and when I think about art, it's no longer pure to me. I don't think about my art. I feel about my art, whatever form it takes.

It depends. If people are more open with their ideals and creativity, it may leave a back door open for manipulation by those cold-hearted individuals we all hear about, as well as those on whatever level they're on that, well, either fail or succeed at chaos for the sake of chaos.

The Dark Knight had the right idea in my opinion, portraying society with two opposing forces on a different level than the law. I mean that there is a lot of chaos in the world, yes, but there's still not enough for those who stand for the law to oppose successfully, on the public veins that society is so adamant about. Take high moral standing, prestige positions in the government for instance. Order does it's job, but chaos wins due to the invulnerability that society apparently has towards it due to misunderstandings being strewn every where.

No. (figuratively) If I have an ability, and I don't use it for the better good, but I still posess it, why the #&$^ should I receive something just for posessing an ability?? Knowing (in this case, feeling) is half the battle. Putting it to work IS A TRIAL.

No..The last thing we need is to try to put bars on the free-roaming part of society again. Fiction keeps telling stories that stereotype this question, and I feel it goes down to ideas as their core. They're ideas! There is no right or wrong, so why should we teach a stereotype? To me, it's no better than the aggressive marketing that has enveloped the advertisements targeted to teenagers and below. Why would this be any better?

I got very aggressive while writing this. Please do not take it personally, Izzie, readers if it has offended you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts