Personality Cafe banner
21 - 40 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
You're trying to type someone who's not only a fictional character, but one who seems to display the traits of a narcissistic personality disorder on a permanent basis. In real life it is not appropiate to type people with mood or personality disorders, much less in fiction, I suppose, with characters often written to serve a plot and not the other way around. Anyway, I get this is for fun.
As much as I relate to the deep dislike for people (although Mycroft is much more consistent with that and, in that sense, I feel closer to him), I just can't see anything else from the younger Holmes in me, really :laughing: (at least things that may be exclusive to his supposed type and not part of the heavily introverted and/or thinker types in general) because people, yes, pretty eyes, cool coat and all, but he's an absolute ass of human being. People kind of glorify the character for the coolness he's got but he's a SOB.
I don't relate at all to the mind palace thing, I'm just too lazy for that.
I don't think inconsistencies in the character's alleged type are explained by the actor's personality showing through, unless he was advised to do so, which of course, I don't know.

I also was thinking I would rather dig a hole in the ground and bury myself in it before making some stupid dance moves in front of anyone, including myself, on the mirror.

As for Mycroft, I see he may appear a bit more J than P. Although I wouldn't discard a P because he's got connections or people doing the dirty job for them. In fact, it's the only way I would see an INTP in higher spheres of power. Power in the shadows. But then, here I am as biased as some of you are towards Sherlock because I love my Mycroft and his ostracism and contempt for humanity.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I don't know about his typing, but *this* sums up precisely how I feel at parties and the like -

[I can't find the whole scene, but when I watched it I was like o.o - how did you get inside my head???]

·
Registered
102 Posts

He is
. :)

You should watch the BBC Sherlock. It's terrific fun.
Yea I kind of figured he uses Se and Ni instead of Ne and Si. I for one don't find any common parts of his personality as I do with other fictional characters that I deem more of to be an INTP.

Off topic: I find more similarities to Spock or L from Death Note rather than Holmes, yet I believe they CAN be extreme cases of favoring certain functions (especially with fictional characters not from real life). However, I think that Holmes in the new movies portrayed by Robert Downey Jr. is more of an INTP or ENTP possibly. I'm not sure about this one though lol.

Seems pretty interesting to watch :)

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
passmethecookies: he's becoming less of an ass, though, as the seasons progress. He's still blunt, to the point, and rude -- but he is now aware of it; John's Fe is rubbing off on him and making him try harder to be nice to people. But yes, I think he's an ISTP -- one that hasn't yet fully developed, in part out of fear of his older and generally more successful and smarter big brother. But he's making progress.

Mycroft seems more like a Te user (get things done) than a Ti user (revels in the thought process). That being said, I'd like him to be an INTP, because... well, I adore him.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't think he really has a type to be honest. Because he is a fictional character it is very hard to tell. I have heard arguments for him being INTJ, ISTP and INTP (but strangely only ever those three) that all could be valid. If I had to type him, he is possibly more likely to be an INTP with a good Se but ISTP still puts up a good fight for me IDK.

I just find it difficult to type fictional characters because authors may base their characters on multiple people which can make it harder to type. Maybe we could get a better idea of Sherlock's type if we find out more about Dr Joseph Bell, the guy he was based off. (Mind you, that's then going more into ACD books rather than BBC) Hmm... :/

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Having read Dr. Bell's biography -- he was a truly fascinating man -- certainly a J in some form, since he accomplished an enormous amount in a relatively short period of time: not only was he Queen Victoria's resident physician whenever she visited Scotland, he taught at the University, had a private practice, took over editing and rewriting the Medical Journal, consulted for the police on crimes, and possibly solved the Ripper murders in secret -- Scotland Yard sent him and another well-known physician-detective the clues separately, they each reached a conclusion that was the same (they didn't consult with one another), and returned their findings to Scotland Yard -- and the Ripper murders stopped.

People described him as extremely compassionate, kind, and sensitive to their needs, with a nice bedside manner. He was very purposeful in his actions, driven to perfectionism, came up with many new ways to benefit nursing and cleanliness in hospitals, and was so well liked that an immense number of people attended his funeral. Considering his observational skills and deductive reasoning, plus the fact that he was so popular and known for his compassion, my guess is that he was an NFJ. I'd guess INFJ, because he seemed to enjoy doing things alone and wasn't all that social outside his family, the faculty, and friends.

By the way, the BBC did a handful of TV movies about him that are excellent -- called "Murder Rooms." There's one independent film that does touch on the Ripper a bit, then a full set that comes later, with a new Doyle. Unfortunately, they didn't renew for a second season right away and then Ian Richardson (Bell) passed away, so that's all we'll ever get. But they're pretty faithful to Bell's life except in the exclusion of his devout faith.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Sherlock from BBC is definitely an INTP. Obviously he's a ficional character but if I were type him he would definitely be an INTP.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I hate what these people say about this guy and why they say it
>does the same thing

I can't tell if you're mocking them on purpose or you don't actually realize you did the exact same thing that you said you hate...

·
Registered
388 Posts
One question: Are the people here typing Cumberbatch's Sherlock as an INTP because they actually researched the specific cognitive functions and looked through the show itself to see actual verifiable evidence of said functions that would confirm he is an INTP or are you all typing him as an INTP because you think you're all INTPs and you want him to be?

·
Banned
4,124 Posts
One question: Are the people here typing Cumberbatch's Sherlock as an INTP because they actually researched the specific cognitive functions and looked through the show itself to see actual verifiable evidence of said functions that would confirm he is an INTP or are you all typing him as an INTP because you think you're all INTPs and you want him to be?
Probably a little of both. These kind of arguments tend to occur with famous people and "cool" TV characters: multiple types - especially rare types like INTPs - want the person for themselves, so they can associate with them and look special. It's type politics: "Coolness McAwesome is an XXXX, therefore, we're as special/smart/skilled/whatever as he is!" "No, look at [random evidence]. He's obviously a YYYY. So we're the type with all the mad skills!"

Now certainly, there may indeed be evidence of the person being a particular type, but the arguments are, at their core, an ego thing, sprung out of a desire to be special by association with a famous person or character.

As a disclaimer, I've fallen into the "I wanna be the same type as [famous genius]!" trap, and have defended the possibility of characters I like being INTPs, so I really shouldn't be talking, but I guess I can at least recognize it....

·
Registered
270 Posts
I looked at the functions and the show and I'm not an INTP:p

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
I'm an INTP and I'm firmly in the ISTP camp. That being said, since I have to over-analyze everything, I've come up with three separate arguments for three separate types:

Sherlock - INTP
Sherlock - INTJ
Sherlock - ISTP

There's plenty of INTP characters out there. We don't need to edge Sherlock into that group if he isn't an INTP. Problem is, he displays traits of all three types -- he is simultaneously super-sensitive to his environment (Se) and incapable of enjoying the moment (Ne). He's an introverted thinker, though, so that kind of rules out INTJ. In other words, he's an ISTP/INTP hybrid.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
There's plenty of INTP characters out there. We don't need to edge Sherlock into that group if he isn't an INTP. Problem is, he displays traits of all three types -- he is simultaneously super-sensitive to his environment (Se) and incapable of enjoying the moment (Ne). He's an introverted thinker, though, so that kind of rules out INTJ. In other words, he's an ISTP/INTP hybrid.
This is so super important stuff that I have to participate :D

I think Sherlock is an INTP and he's got the Asperger's syndrome which could explain why he sometimes seems to have high Se. If I recall correctly, Watson at some point called him an aspie. My husband is ISTP and he's always giving remarks about how he can see me in Sherlock. He himself does not identify with Sherlock that much. I don't think Sherlock could be an INTJ because he's gets bored so easily, has no sense of duty, works in energy spikes (which I admit he has more than an average INTP would), resents authority and traditions etc. Of course he's a fictional character and that makes him more extreme in many ways than any real person, but he's still more INTP than anything else.

·
Registered
270 Posts
This is so super important stuff that I have to participate :D

I think Scherlock is an INTP and he's got the Asperger's syndrome which could explain why he sometimes seems to have high Se. If I recall correctly, Watson at some point called him an aspie. My husband is ISTP and he's always giving remarks about how he can see me in Scherlock. He himself does not identify with Scherlock that much. I don't think Scherlock could be an INTJ because he's gets bored so easily, has no sense of duty, works in energy spikes (which I admit he has more than an average INTP would), resents authority and traditions etc. Of course he's a fictional character and that makes him more extreme in many ways than any real person, but he's still more INTP than anything else.
Good point about the Aspbergers stuff. That same thought occurred to me as well. It's like he's very much an INTP but with Aspbergers as far as the Se goes

·
Registered
270 Posts
Now that I think about it, I've read in quite a few places that INTPs tend to have Aspbergers more often than other types but I don't know how official those studies were

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Come on, fellow INTPs -- when was the last time we noticed ANYTHING in our environment, much less three cat hairs on someone's tweed trouser leg?

21 - 40 of 244 Posts