Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
INFx
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How common is it to shift from one type to another?

I think in the last year I've shifted from an INFP to an INFJ, which for me is positive, but may also have some drawbacks. I recognize that there are conscientious, focused INFPs, and there are open-minded, flexible INFJs. However, I think I've experienced a pretty fundamental personality shift. This may have been instigated by some degree of trauma, or a shift in my worldview.

Through my teens and 20s, I had a lot of luck, and I had my head in the clouds. I'd dream about all my ambitions, and I'd count on some degree of luck to get me to where I wanted to be. I got into the college I wanted, then the grad school, as well as work and volunteer opportunities in Africa. But then, after grad school, it seemed like suddenly that luck stopped. I couldn't find a job in my field, and I fell lower and lower, to the point where I was working a labor job with addicts and ex-cons near my hometown. Frankly, that was terrifying. I still don't have the job I want, but I'm doing better now, and for the last few months I've been recovering, getting more focused, and and building myself back up. A lot of this is just maturing - I now feel, on a very deep level, that if I want anything I have to work for it, it isn't just going to come.

Part of my personality shift has to do with control. Where before I was open to letting opportunities come, now the feel of being out of control scares me. I feel, on a very deep level, that to get things I have to make them happen. I'm more focused, more determined, and less distracted. However, I also find that with that focus, I'm also slightly less open-minded than I was before. Before I was happy to entertain any idea, where as now I don't have nearly as much patience for ideas I don't find useful or valuable - I'm focused on going after the ones that are really valuable. I'm also a lot more focused on time - whereas before I thought I had all the time in the world, now I feel that I'm working on a deadline. My goals are more practical - rather than dreaming about goals that could one day happen, now I'm focused on making those dreams a reality.

The other thing is how I relate to these types when I read about them. Now, when I read about INFP, it no longer feels quite like me - the freeform quality of P now feels slightly alien to my philosophy of life. Now articles on INFJ resonate with me.

·
Registered
ISTP
404 Posts
I don't believe one's type can change. It's possible you were mistyped to begin with, but this ^^ sounds like you've been very adaptable (as INFPs are said to be).

I think in the last year I've shifted from an INFP to an INFJ, which for me is positive, but may also have some drawbacks....
Well, it's not something that can be picked, more like something recognized. Why would INFP --> INFJ be positive for you?

....I still don't have the job I want, but I'm doing better now, and for the last few months I've been recovering, getting more focused, and and building myself back up....
The conscious focus on recovery and building one's self back up seem like Fi tendencies. There's an INFP in my life that very much does this.... and even talks about it! Not that other types can't recover or build up again, but they might not be as aware of that process happening.

Part of my personality shift has to do with control. Where before I was open to letting opportunities come, now the feel of being out of control scares me. I feel, on a very deep level, that to get things I have to make them happen. I'm more focused, more determined, and less distracted. However, I also find that with that focus, I'm also slightly less open-minded than I was before. Before I was happy to entertain any idea, where as now I don't have nearly as much patience for ideas I don't find useful or valuable - I'm focused on going after the ones that are really valuable. I'm also a lot more focused on time - whereas before I thought I had all the time in the world, now I feel that I'm working on a deadline. My goals are more practical - rather than dreaming about goals that could one day happen, now I'm focused on making those dreams a reality.
You're adapting to less than ideal conditions. And by that I mean making some cognitive sacrifices to the point of thinking your a different type.

The other thing is how I relate to these types when I read about them. Now, when I read about INFP, it no longer feels quite like me - the freeform quality of P now feels slightly alien to my philosophy of life. Now articles on INFJ resonate with me.
That's OK, INFJ articles don't resonate with me either because the authors add too much glitter and unicorn :) If your at the point where nothing seems to fit, you've probably been making too many cognitive sacrifices, which for an INFP could become an unhealthy situation. You could experiment with relearning about INFPs and making time to exercise your creativity.

·
Registered
ISFP
2,239 Posts
I originally tested as INTP in high school, and again during my early college years. I tried conversations with INTPs online but I just didn’t fit in with them. I did better with ENTPs instead.

When I after got into the workforce I was able to take an assessment that was based off work habits and things. That test placed me as ISFP, which fits me more accurately.

Could be any number of reasons why I tested as an INTP, I may have actually been a textbook INTP for a time. But who knows.

Reactions: deathorglory

·
Registered
INFx
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You could both be right. To be honest, I'm really not sure which way it goes. On the one hand, maybe deep down I've always been an INFJ, and a deep anxiety has always led to me hesitating, avoiding taking charge until now. On the other hand, maybe I'm an INFP, and the stress of the past year has pushed me to be somewhat self-punishing. I can also see qualities going each way. Growing up, I was pretty disorganized. However, when I got to work, it was very important to me to do a good job, meeting high standards. The other thing is, I have always been pretty rigid and intense about what I don't want in life - the lifestyles, jobs, etc. I meant to avoid.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I have seen those kind of questions before and I have read answers from those who are hardcore MBTI fanatics always shout "Your type doesn't change!", "Learn your functions" "Online tests are wrong! or you're misstyped" "What you do doesn't matter but how your think!".

If you look at MBTI theory it always talks about type development and at around what age your functions start to manifest themselves more consciously even around your 30's and 40's.

Another thing that is quite established knowledge in psychology is that with age you will shift toward the other side from introversion to extroversion and vice versa. Personally I have become even more introverted because I have spent more and more time with myself and became less dependent on other people for my needs.

Another thing is there is a theory that your brain stops developing around age 25. It is more complex than that but it's just the rough explanation so its obvious that you feel different now compared to when you were finger paining in middle school.

·
Registered
INFx
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vunar - That's an interesting point. I've read that over time personality traits like conscientiousness and agreeableness change, and it only seems to make sense that people's corresponding types would reflect that. It also makes sense that people's traits would manifest more. I'm 31, and a few years ago I wasn't sure whether I was an I or an E. I was a light I, but I was very focused on developing myself socially. I think now that I'm more comfortable with myself, I can fully except that I'm an I - I still like being social, but now I'm truly very happy being alone to pursue intellectual pursuits.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Your type cannot change. Type are not some behavioral boxes. They are a stack of functions in a certain order. Functions are basically different types of brain workings. You born with a brain working pattern. You don't change over time, you expand your capabilities and start to be more stable over fluid like (often called maturing by people)over time, which is not the same. So when you say your type changed, you say that your entire brain wiring changed. Now, a few question appears on this point:

1.)Did you had an accident, which caused you brain damage?
2.)Did you voluntered experiments with people brain as a subject?

If your answers are no, then I assure you, that your type didn't changed at the least.
Not matter how some description resonate with you when reading sterotypical characteristics, because:

1.)Not everyone will behave stereotypically.
2.)Functions can manifest in a wide varity of external characteristics, depending on development level, healthiness, or even just background or experiences.

With that said, this leaves us three possibilities:
1.)You were mistyped then, and correctly typed now.
2.)You were correctly typed then, and mistyped now.
3.)You were mistyped then, and mistyped now as well. - Since you don't have good self knowledge as your stroy showing. So you just decide that if something is feels alright to you, then it is true to you absoluetly.

With this much chaos in typing yourself, I would certainly doubt my self knowledge and that I'm well informed enough to decide my type if I would be in your place. So If I were you, I would start to search for reliable resources about functions, seek insight from professionals, etc. - well, only if you are willing to know the truth about yourself. Which would be handy, because when someone don't know themselves, then it is hard to navigate life properly. As you know.

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5 sp/so
1,542 Posts
I am seconding getting to understand which functions you use consciously. At the start of middle school my first behavioral test (the behavioral mbti astrology articles post vague test) stated I was INFJ. But at that time I doubted it because I wanted to be a "thinker" not a "feeler". Feelers were teased, considered push-overs and dumb. I didn't want to be vulnerable. Throughout high school, I started to test INTJ/P. Not that I was an actual thinker, but because a lot of stress started to take place at home and my creativity as I knew it diminished and I became more technical as I emotionally numbed myself to tolerate what I was experiencing. In college, I always tested INTP for the same reason. Then I started to test ISTJ for a year after I graduated and both my parents started to experience some pretty life altering health problems. My mind and my heart had gone to a very dark place by that point. When I started to regain socio-emotional leverage and sovereignty again, I started to test INFJ again.

When I started to learn the functions themselves and then reflect back on my journeys, it started to make sense that my third function or my "child" was coming to the rescue but couldn't escape a purgatory cognitive loop and I was testing NT when I shouldn't have. Study the functions and select your closest cognitive island. Keep wary of the behavior mbti astrology articles. They're amusing, but a lot of them share descriptions that can apply to several of the types but not elaborate on why some types are so similar yet are so different.

·
Registered
IEI 4w3 sp/sx 461
1,284 Posts
Talk about a thread full of unhelpful replies lol

That being said, I agree with the people who said type cannot change. However, your personal interpretation of the theory and your interpretation of your personality can and do change over time.

Forget all this nonsense about organized vs disorganized. This is all circumstantial and it isn't good criteria to type someone really.

How do you experience yourself internally? How do you express yourself externally?
INFJs have Ni and Ti as introverted functions. INFJs are actually colder (internally) than INFPs are because of terc Ti, but because we have aux Fe, we express ourselves with more vigor. Our expression has more pizzazz, is more fluid, juicy, colorful and all this shit. We also adapt ourselves to people because Fe is extroverted and therefore adaptable to objects.

INFPs are Fi dom's, therefore they are much less fluid when it comes to feelings and personal values. They come across as colder (in the sense of being more inner-oriented with their feelings) but are actually more in tune with internal, static, stable personal emotions.

Developed INFJs actually love to analyze stuff with Ti. INFPs dislike how dehumanizing Ti is and will filter everything through their personal set of values.

I find INFPs more laid-back/relaxed than INFJs as well, and more open (aux Ne) to multiple perspectives. If you feel like you're more on the stubborn side (and being perceived as stubborn by others), you can be an INFJ.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Speaking as someone who has been involved with many different INFPs and INFJs- the two types are very different. Perhaps not to the casual observer but as someone who likes and tends to get along really well with both what I draw from INFP interactions and INFJ interactions are very distinct.

INFPs are all about that Fi, their main charm to me is that they are very sensitive and caring, and I feel secure with them because I don't have to feel like I have to 'guard' or filter my sensitive side- they're even more so that than I am so I'm never going to be "too sensitive" for an INFP, that's a very comforting and satisfying feeling, it's like being able to relax and just lay into a mountain of cotton balls. In converse I think I probably offer them something in the way of enabling their Ne, as random or wild as their ideas may be, they aren't going to be as diverse as mine. My only issue with INFPs sometimes is that my Te may be a little too much for them and I tend to have to filter that around them.

INFJs are like a yin-yang to the ENFP. I rarely have to filter ANY of my function tendencies around INFJs, because they tend to see it as a sort of satisfying test of their own convex functions, and then for myself it's the vice versa. We're aligned but it's satisfying because we challenge each other constantly but within the same realms of behaviour/discussion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts